Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 18:12   #451
BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
A new ECU update has been launched by Bajaj. It has number 117 and is for ABS variant. No idea about non ABS variant. Recieved a message on Pune Dominar group from a person who recently updated his bike's ECU to this version.
Yes, got the news and I don't think they will release any new update for non-abs as it is discontinued now.

Will have to check with SVC as to what changes are expected in the update.

KK
Old 10th May 2018, 09:53   #452
BHPian

Quote:
A new ECU update has been launched by Bajaj. It has number 117 and is for ABS variant. No idea about non ABS variant. Recieved a message on Pune Dominar group from a person who recently updated his bike's ECU to this version.
Hi Neeraj,

Could you share some details regarding the new update as to what changes it brings about in the characteristics of the bike?

By the way thank you for this info, I will check with my SVC this weekend if it has come in. For tier 2 cities like mine it definitely takes more time.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:08   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
Hi Neeraj,

Could you share some details regarding the new update as to what changes it brings about in the characteristics of the bike?

By the way thank you for this info, I will check with my SVC this weekend if it has come in. For tier 2 cities like mine it definitely takes more time.
I am yet to update my bike's ECU but according to the person who had this update done,

"Low end is clean and bike is happy even at 2.5k rpm and pulls cleanly from there itself

Earlier I used to feel it was good from and after 3k."
Old 10th May 2018, 12:52   #454
BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to update my bike's ECU but according to the person who had this update done,

"Low end is clean and bike is happy even at 2.5k rpm and pulls cleanly from there itself

Earlier I used to feel it was good from and after 3k."
By these words I know who is the person, Satya from Nashik isn't it?

KK
Old 10th May 2018, 14:53   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
By these words I know who is the person, Satya from Nashik isn't it?

KK
Yes. He is an active member of Pune group too
Old 14th May 2018, 23:55   #456

After tons of research, I have zeroed in on two bikes. Royal Enfield Himalayan & Bajaj Dominar. Experts, please suggest me so that decision makings becomes simpler.
Old 15th May 2018, 05:20   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsivaramgec View Post
After tons of research, I have zeroed in on two bikes. Royal Enfield Himalayan & Bajaj Dominar. Experts, please suggest me so that decision makings becomes simpler.
Ain't no expert, but as a guy who has been through 8 bikes in 15 years, and having ridden both the Himalayan and Dominar, I would choose dominar anyday. It is just the superior product here, by a mile!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 08:34   #458
BANNED

Quote:
I can sell you the CT100B(I'm not kidding!) over the Dominar with a clean conscience but not the Himalayan, simply taking into consideration spare quality and customer grievance. Plus I thought by now enthusiasts were well informed against opting any RE products until they improved quality.

To be frank your research doesn't make much sense if you've limited your search to a highway cruiser and an adventure motorcycle which are on two polar ends considering use, unless you're going for displacement, in which case I'd suggest you to do more research as displacement is just one part of the mix and a not so significant part in the long run if you're a mile muncher, which is why you'll see a major percent of high displacement motorcycles SBK's included available in the used market with very low odo readings.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 09:41   #459
BHPian

Quote:
I have test ridden the Himalayan more times than I can count and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is more comfortable than the Dominar which I have owned for over an year.

The way the Himalayan's suspension absorbs potholes and even speed breakers, is something that can never be over stated. Its fantastic. I also like the console of the Himalayan better since I prefer the old school needles any day over the fully digital console of most modern bikes. At the very least the tachometer should be analogue. Anyway, this is where as per me the Himalayan (stock) trumps the (stock) Dominar. The looks is another aspect where the Himalayan looks purpose built and ready to take on anything you throw at it. The Dominar looks tamer in comparison.

As for engine refinement, power and safety you probably know the Dominar trumps the Himalayan. Push the Himalayan hard and everything vibrates. Specially the mirrors. I dont know about you, but it makes me nervous if I cant see the traffic behind me. The bike also starts feeling strained under hard acceleration. Its not significant but when you factor in the money you are putting down for the bike, these things start weighing you down. They did for me.

Each time I have come off a Himalayan and got back on my bike, the first few seconds I miss the comfort, but within a minute, I am glad I put my money down where I did. I am also a big supporter of good brakes and safety and this is also where the Dominar is miles ahead with ABS.

Do extensive back to back test rides on both bikes. You may be surprised that despite the Himalayan's shortcomings, you fall in love with it! This is what happened to a friend of mine who swears he would buy one if it came with ABS.
Vikram8891 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 11:34   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I can sell you the CT100B(I'm not kidding!) over the Dominar with a clean conscience but not the Himalayan, simply taking into consideration spare quality and customer grievance. Plus I thought by now enthusiasts were well informed against opting any RE products until they improved quality.

To be frank your research doesn't make much sense if you've limited your search to a highway cruiser and an adventure motorcycle which are on two polar ends considering use, unless you're going for displacement, in which case I'd suggest you to do more research as displacement is just one part of the mix and a not so significant part in the long run if you're a mile muncher, which is why you'll see a major percent of high displacement motorcycles SBK's included available in the used market with very low odo readings.
I intend to do long rides. I previously had Enfield Electra which was great. But as far as the service quality and expertise all the staff were nothing good. Also my friend' s Himalayan I rode was heating so much that the heat was literally seeping through my jeans. Also when considering safety standards dominar offers a lot. That's why I was confused. Himalayan comfort is unmatched. No bike can come near that I agree, but when investing around 2 lakh I just wanted to reassure that it goes in the right place. Thanks for sharing your experience. Will keep it in mind when taking a decision.
arunsivaramgec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 17:56   #461
BANNED

Quote:
I intend to do long rides. I previously had Enfield Electra which was great. But as far as the service quality and expertise all the staff were nothing good. Also my friend' s Himalayan I rode was heating so much that the heat was literally seeping through my jeans. Also when considering safety standards dominar offers a lot. That's why I was confused. Himalayan comfort is unmatched. No bike can come near that I agree, but when investing around 2 lakh I just wanted to reassure that it goes in the right place. Thanks for sharing your experience. Will keep it in mind when taking a decision.
Going by your profile info I presume that you'd be commuting between Mumbai and Trissur, in which case I'd suggest you opt for either of the following taking into consideration that you'd be riding 2 days with an overnight break at Davanagere;

1. Bajaj Pulsar 180/220

Cheap to own and run, ease of spare availability and is as robust as a motorcycle can be. The P180 can cruise at 100kmph all day whereas the P220 takes it up a notch to 120kmph without breaking a sweat! Slap on a pair of super sticky rubbers and you'll manage without ABS, as for seating position go with what I've done!

DIY: Pulsar 220 Handle Bar Conversion for an upright riding position

The riding position is between a Himalayan and a Mojo, if that makes sense!

2. TVS Apache RTR200 4V ABS

Same up's of the Pulsar's and comes in Carb+ABS variant, the spare quality of TVS is a notch above Bajaj's but availability is not that great but not as concerning as the Honda's, to be honest this seems to be the motorcycle for your requirement, though fuel efficiency isn't all that great.

The motorcycle comes with clip-on's but that can be changed without much ado.

3. Honda CBR250R ABS

The only reason to consider this motor is its proven track record over the Dominar, the con's are more or less the same, an electrical short is enough to leave you stranded in the middle on nowhere and unlike the Pulsar's you cant keep riding with busted electrical's. Plus running a slightly lower compression than the Dominar you'll have considerably longer head gasket life, which again unlike the Pulsar's would render the motorcycle un-ride-able if blown.

Being a Honda the spare availability is pathetic to say the least and spare pricing is no better.

Again like with the Pulsar's if handle bar position is a matter of concern then that can be fixed, see the article below;

CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar

4. Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS

It is cheap and has a lot of bling, but being someone who works on his own motorcycle I know for a fact that "more bling = more troubles" which is why you'd never catch me touring interstate on anything that has FI or LC. But then we each have our own personalities and experiences.

As for riding position, well by now you know that it is not much of a concern and can be altered to your taste without much effort.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 18:54   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been riding the Dominar for past 6 months for daily commute of 60 kms plus the usual weekend ride, and having completing nearly 10k kms, I would suggest you go for the Dominar.

The safety equipment and the fuss free nature of the bike is really a boon. Haven't done any really long rides, but hope to do those soon!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 23:07   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
I have test ridden the Himalayan more times than I can count and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is more comfortable than the Dominar which I have owned for over an year.

The way the Himalayan's suspension absorbs potholes and even speed breakers, is something that can never be over stated. Its fantastic. I also like the console of the Himalayan better since I prefer the old school needles any day over the fully digital console of most modern bikes. At the very least the tachometer should be analogue. Anyway, this is where as per me the Himalayan (stock) trumps the (stock) Dominar. The looks is another aspect where the Himalayan looks purpose built and ready to take on anything you throw at it. The Dominar looks tamer in comparison.

As for engine refinement, power and safety you probably know the Dominar trumps the Himalayan. Push the Himalayan hard and everything vibrates. Specially the mirrors. I dont know about you, but it makes me nervous if I cant see the traffic behind me. The bike also starts feeling strained under hard acceleration. Its not significant but when you factor in the money you are putting down for the bike, these things start weighing you down. They did for me.

Each time I have come off a Himalayan and got back on my bike, the first few seconds I miss the comfort, but within a minute, I am glad I put my money down where I did. I am also a big supporter of good brakes and safety and this is also where the Dominar is miles ahead with ABS.

Do extensive back to back test rides on both bikes. You may be surprised that despite the Himalayan's shortcomings, you fall in love with it! This is what happened to a friend of mine who swears he would buy one if it came with ABS.
Same here. Whenever I see Himalayan's instrument cluster, I think this is the one I am waiting for. Since I have already owned an enfield, I know the problems. But when it comes to ABS, alloy wheels and tubeless tyres, I fall for Dominar. Lets see

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Going by your profile info I presume that you'd be commuting between Mumbai and Trissur, in which case I'd suggest you opt for either of the following taking into consideration that you'd be riding 2 days with an overnight break at Davanagere;

1. Bajaj Pulsar 180/220

Cheap to own and run, ease of spare availability and is as robust as a motorcycle can be. The P180 can cruise at 100kmph all day whereas the P220 takes it up a notch to 120kmph without breaking a sweat! Slap on a pair of super sticky rubbers and you'll manage without ABS, as for seating position go with what I've done!

DIY: Pulsar 220 Handle Bar Conversion for an upright riding position

The riding position is between a Himalayan and a Mojo, if that makes sense!

2. TVS Apache RTR200 4V ABS

Same up's of the Pulsar's and comes in Carb+ABS variant, the spare quality of TVS is a notch above Bajaj's but availability is not that great but not as concerning as the Honda's, to be honest this seems to be the motorcycle for your requirement, though fuel efficiency isn't all that great.

The motorcycle comes with clip-on's but that can be changed without much ado.

3. Honda CBR250R ABS

The only reason to consider this motor is its proven track record over the Dominar, the con's are more or less the same, an electrical short is enough to leave you stranded in the middle on nowhere and unlike the Pulsar's you cant keep riding with busted electrical's. Plus running a slightly lower compression than the Dominar you'll have considerably longer head gasket life, which again unlike the Pulsar's would render the motorcycle un-ride-able if blown.

Being a Honda the spare availability is pathetic to say the least and spare pricing is no better.

Again like with the Pulsar's if handle bar position is a matter of concern then that can be fixed, see the article below;

CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar

4. Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS

It is cheap and has a lot of bling, but being someone who works on his own motorcycle I know for a fact that "more bling = more troubles" which is why you'd never catch me touring interstate on anything that has FI or LC. But then we each have our own personalities and experiences.

As for riding position, well by now you know that it is not much of a concern and can be altered to your taste without much effort.
Yes, I am sure I will be doing Mumbai- Thrissur as I had travelled several time in my "Sunny". Thanks for the list. I think I am pretty much liking Dominar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Been riding the Dominar for past 6 months for daily commute of 60 kms plus the usual weekend ride, and having completing nearly 10k kms, I would suggest you go for the Dominar.

The safety equipment and the fuss free nature of the bike is really a boon. Haven't done any really long rides, but hope to do those soon!
Thanks. We could meet up and plan a long ride after I purchase one. I stay at Andheri.

Last edited by bblost : 15th May 2018 at 23:26. Reason: back 2 back
arunsivaramgec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 19:07   #464
BHPian

Dominar races a Rajdhani Train from Vadodra to Mumbai. Interesting watch.

Old 5th June 2018, 10:02   #465
BHPian

Quite a few people in our Dominar Owners Club Bengaluru are facing coolant drain issues and it is quite disgusting to see that either SC/Bajaj is not giving proper resolution for this issue. Hope this issue gets escalated to Bajaj and owners get a warranty cover for the same.

One guy currently is on Leh ride and plagued with this coolant issue and he is carrying extra coolant just to fill up whenever it goes below the limit .

Below is the write up of the issue faced by Rafiq, who is a friend in the Dominar Club.

Quote:
Hello friends

I would like to share a problem which I am facing in Dominar.

Problem:-

Coolent drains completely (somewhere between 800-1000km ) from the reservoir tank after top-up.
This problem started around ODO 8000km and now my ODO is 25000.
During ride this is a big issue because we really don't know where exactly it is disappearing
There are possibility for it to mix with engine oil and damage your engine.

Reason & Solution:-

There where multiple reasons given by service centre guys which they will try to fix as per the order below.

1. Airlock

They said that there are chances of airlock inside the radiator tank which is causing the coolent to disappear suddenly from the reservoir.
To fix this they drained entire coolent and will top-up again. After 500km test if this doesn't fix then point two.

2. Faulty tank or pipes

They will use a chalk to mark at each joints to check if any minute leak is there which is not visible. If they don't find any then step three.

3. Faulty coolent pump seal

This has been the main culprit for most of the bikes which had this problem.
Faulty coolent pump seal will let the Coolent mix with oil and will damage your engine as time gose hence changing this seal if faulty can fix this issue.. again 500km+ test sometimes they may ask you to try another 500km if no result then :wink:

4. Replace engine head gasket

This is where it hurts for every owner.
They will bring your engine down and replace engine head gasket suspecting coolent to vaporiz here..now you will have to try 1000km coz first 500km SC(service centre) would ask you to maintain a speed less than 80kmph...if not fixed then..

5. Faulty Radiator.

Now SC will replace your radiator assembly and would ask you to try again.. if not fixed then comes the most painful thing..:worried::ersevere:

6. Faulty packing sealant between the engine.

They will get your engine down again and will split it into two half horizontally from centre, apply some paste and fix your engine back.. after this I lost pickup and my engine was not smooth :weary::weary:
Again if issue not fixed..

7. Faulty engine head assembly.

They will get your engine down again and replace engine head..this was the last thing I tried and was upset when did not fix....

Bajaj SC wanted me to leave my bike there for 3 days for them to find the problem..I did not agree and have asked them to escalate to bajaj. The case is with Bajaj now and will update here if I get any response.... Please comment if you have any update on this.

Thank you.
Source: http://forum.dominar.club/cons/coole...n-dominar-400/

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 5th June 2018 at 10:05.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks