Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2018, 21:42   #526
BANNED

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshWish View Post
I told them chain was being regularly cleaned and lubed but I had no idea about Tightening of Chain.

Chain Slackness will have to be adjusted whenever required. (by whom?)
The booklet you get along with the motorcycle is called an 'Owners Manual' for a reason.

I've owned my Bajaj CT100B after owning a couple of motorcycles in the past and covering around 1.5 Lakh km's cumulatively, yet the first thing I did when I got hold of the motorcycle was to go through the ownership manual, though it doesn't seem much at first, in reality it goes a long way when it comes to reliability of the motorcycle and safety of the rider.

The SVC might be charging you a premium for service but nevertheless only if you're willing to put some effort and elbow grease into the mix would you be able to ride safely.

Cheers, Ride Safe.
A.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Sorry for hijacking the query, but mechanics tell that chain becomes taught with pillion aboard so it needs to be slack beyond the specified limit. How true is that?
B.S.

If you go through your owners manual you'll find that the motorcycle is designed to carry a specific payload, all other specs are mentioned with that specific payload in mind.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 1st November 2018 at 21:46.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:35   #527
VMC
BHPian

Can anyone please point me to a good mechanic for dominor in Bengaluru?
Also any idea if the seat can be modified to single seat instead of split seats?
Old 12th December 2018, 11:03   #528
Team-BHP Support

Year end offers on the Dominar, in Bangalore -

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-bajajdominarfreejacket.jpg

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 14:27   #529
Senior - BHPian

Whilst the offers are drool-worthy, it is still saddening to see the bike sales going down drastically which is calling for additional offers & discounts. I feel Bajaj screwed it up with stupid mocking ads which deterred the value of the bike in the eyes of the real biker. They placed the product on the wrong side by saying it to be a direct rival to RE! They should’ve ideally made it a unique product offering for those who love power cruising. All said and done, hoping the revised dominar brings better numbers. Else, there are chances the product will eventually be discontinued.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 16:28   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

I stopped by Popular Bajaj here in Cochin just to enquire if there were year end offers and if there was any credibility to the news of an updated Bajaj Dominar. Listing out what I found out regarding the year end / Christmas discounts

- Actual on road price of the Dominar is Rs 2,11,003. The breakup is
Ex showroom : Rs 1,63,075
Insurance : 28,865 (5 years insurance, explained below)
Tax and registration : 18,063
Teflon coating : Rs 1,000

- Bajaj and Popular are running a year end / Christmas offer where there are 2 discounts applicable. One is on the insurance, which is offered for Rs 21 K (instead of the Rs 28K) and then there is a cash discount of ~ Rs 4,600.

- Total on road price with the year end / Christmas offer with teflon coating is Rs 1,99,446. If you remove the teflon coating, the price is Rs 1,98,446.

- The standard warranty is for 2 years or 30,000 kms whichever comes first. Now under this year end / Christmas offer, the new warranty is 5 years or 75,000 kms!

- Bajaj is throwing is 5 services for free. That means there are no labour or service charges associated with the services. Only consumables will be charged.

- The insurance is 5 years "full cover". I had some trouble understanding this full cover terminology but came to understand that it is the standard insurance that you get when you buy a new vehicle and is not bumper to bumper. This is through New India and is cashless insurance. If you want bumper to bumper insurance, you have to pay more and you cannot get the Rs 7 K cash discount mentioned earlier.

- All these benefits are applicable on vehicles invoiced before the end of the year.

- The new / updated / refreshed Dominar is expected by February or March 2019. No real details have been provided by the company to the dealers on the new products features.

On paper, this is a really good deal for the Dominar 400 if you are not keen on the bumper to bumper insurance. 5 free services and 5 year / 75,000 km warranty is an excellent incentive to buy the motorcycle before the launch of the new bike.

P.S - I found it quite funny that the receptionist kept asking me to please sit down and not look at the bikes. When I told her that I came to check the Dominar and its pricing, she told me their manager will get unhappy if they (the receptionists) dont move the potential customers away from the bikes and towards the seating area. Oh Bajaj!

Last edited by neil.jericho : 18th December 2018 at 16:29.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 22:39   #531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Teflon coating : Rs 1,000
I've been one of the gullible idiots who'd opted for the so called Teflon Coating on a brand new machine, back in 2011 when they used to charge 500/- bucks for it.

On further investigation got to realize that in reality all they do is wax your machine using Meguiars or Waxpol depending on availability, I'd sourced some Meguiars loosely available for 60/- from the same shop where the A.S.S(Hero Honda) at the time used to source it from;

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-dsc00785.jpg

The bottle above sourced for 60/- can last for up to 5 coats or even more if used judiciously.

And last time I checked you can get a big can of Waxpol hard-wax for about 450-ish, which might probably last longer than your current motorcycle, this info is just shared so that you can evaluate the quality of the ride the A.S.S is taking you on.

Also to mention the idiot at the A.S.S who Waxed...Err..Teflon'ed my motorcycle was a bit too gracious that he waxed my front brake rotor and seat as well, imagine having to scrub/sand your brand new rotor and pad which alone costs Rs.1350/-(OEM Nissin Pad's).
Old 18th December 2018, 23:13   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
P.S - I found it quite funny that the receptionist kept asking me to please sit down and not look at the bikes. When I told her that I came to check the Dominar and its pricing, she told me their manager will get unhappy if they (the receptionists) dont move the potential customers away from the bikes and towards the seating area. Oh Bajaj!
P.P.S - I dont know if this is the same with other Bajaj dealerships as well but I requested for a pricing sheet from Popular Bajaj so that I could see the on road pricing of all their bikes. I was surprised to see that they didnt have one to give and I had to take the breakup of the Dominar from a sales executive. In comparison, all the other motorcycle showrooms that I have been to in the last few years always provide a full page printout with the breakup of the pricing of all the models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
On further investigation got to realize that in reality all they do is wax your machine using Meguiars or Waxpol depending on availability, I'd sourced some Meguiars loosely available for 60/- from the same shop where the A.S.S(Hero Honda) at the time used to source it from;
I think one is lucky if they actually use a good brand like Meguiars! Still is a ripoff for the price.

Quote:
Also to mention the idiot at the A.S.S who Waxed...Err..Teflon'ed my motorcycle was a bit too gracious that he waxed my front brake rotor and seat as well, imagine having to scrub/sand your brand new rotor and pad which alone costs Rs.1350/-(OEM Nissin Pad's).
I can almost see the dismay on the face of the gentleman who would have diligently waxed your brakes and seats if he stumbled upon you vociferously scrubbing off all his hard work
Old 19th December 2018, 11:41   #533
BANNED

2019 Bajaj Dominar 400 Spied Testing Again, Launch In Early 2019

Quote:
The new Dominar 400 comes with lots of changes under the skin as the company will finally introduce upside down forks as they skipped it on the current version to keep cost down. The rear suspension continues to be mono-shock but the tunning will be different as they want to improve low-speed ride without compromising handling.

The fully digital instrument cluster will be carried over with minor updates and an all-new exhaust system also. One of the biggest updates for Dominar 400 will be the addition of DOHC for the engine as the same 373 cc engine on Duke 390 gets it and this is expected to reduce the vibrations along with refinement also.
SOURCE
Old 24th December 2018, 10:06   #534
Senior - BHPian

Had nice breakfast ride to Kelwa Beach with fellow riders, first one is mine. Bike has completed a year in November, done 20,500 plus kms and running beautifully. Routine oil change every 5000 kms and a chain sprocket replacement at 17000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img20181223wa0037.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img20181223wa0106.jpg  

Maverick5490 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 21:00   #535
Senior - BHPian

2019 Dominar completely revealed in TVC.

The silver finish on USD front forks gives the bike a beefy look. The front disc brake have shifted to other side. I hope Bajaj will bring more color options this time.

PC: Respective website.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-bajajdominar4002019sideprofile07fd.jpg  

Last edited by BANDHAV : 21st January 2019 at 21:03.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:31   #536
Senior - BHPian

Posted on Bajaj Auto Official Site:
Attached Images

payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 21:15   #537
Senior - BHPian

What is with this obsession with half face helmet? It is not that Bajaj is using a celebrity that showing the face is important.

The image would have looked good and complete with a full face helmet.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 21:48   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
What is with this obsession with half face helmet? It is not that Bajaj is using a celebrity that showing the face is important.

The image would have looked good and complete with a full face helmet.
IMO, Bajaj wants to portray the Dominar's image as a cruiser. As a norm with the cruiser bikes, they might have used the half face helmet.

I also believe, a full face helmet could have made the picture complete.

Last edited by RedStallion : 23rd January 2019 at 21:50.
Old 24th January 2019, 10:46   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
What is with this obsession with half face helmet?
The half face helmet is issued deliberately so that the Dominar rider can scoff at the "HATHI" riders (# Hathi math palo !)

The impact of the advertisement was so great that one bikini clad Dominar rider made an elephant snout gesture at me while I was riding my Standard 350 ATGAAT and all I could say was "UNBELIEVABLE"

Last edited by adrian : 24th January 2019 at 10:54. Reason: typo
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:27   #540
BHPian

Quote:
I'd sourced some Meguiars loosely available for 60/- from the same shop where the A.S.S(Hero Honda) at the time used to source it from;

The bottle above sourced for 60/- can last for up to 5 coats or even more if used judiciously.

Did you check if it is genuine Meguiars? AFAIK these brands don't encourage sales/disribution from the bulk or original container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post

one bikini clad Dominar rider made an elephant snout gesture at me

Here we are discussing the use of a half face helmet, while the target audience is moving the game one level up. Clearly Bajaj has done their market research.

Last edited by Iyencar : 24th January 2019 at 11:28. Reason: Minor formatting

Most Viewed