Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 16:12   #76

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

I agree to the thought that we should wait for a couple of months whenever a new vehicle is launched.
The subsequent batches generally get these minor niggles resolved.
But then I also understand the quenching thirst of sitting on the hot seat and going through those sleepless nights
Its tough to control that, tougher than changing the channel which is airing Fast n Furious.
Roadilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:35   #77
BHPian

Heights of Journalism or something from Whatsapp forwards?

Something about the first reported Crash for a Dominar 500 reported here

Not a fan of sensational stuff. So i am not quoting the message here. I hope that is fine.

Last edited by rohitoasis : 7th February 2017 at 21:38.
Old 8th February 2017, 16:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Dominar Owners:

Any issues from your Vehicles? Please do share your experiences here
Old 8th February 2017, 18:13   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Dominar Owners:

Any issues from your Vehicles? Please do share your experiences here
One issue my colleague reports of low lube level.

Photo of Spirit level to show the bike was perpendicular to the ground and not tilting to change the oil level indication
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170204_202256830.jpg

Oil level as seen in the indicator.
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170204_203233735.jpg

His discussion with service station has not been quite helpful and they are not ready to top up the oil. They are recommending riding in this condition which does not go well with our general understanding of IC Engines.
The service stations around here are not ready to share the availability of brand of Oil to be used. (Seems there is some proprietary oil being used by Bajaj and not the usual Motul)

1) Did anyone else notice such low oil levels?
2) What would be the recommendation from other reputable service stations?

Would appreciate your inputs.
rohitoasis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 02:50   #80
BHPian

Found this on a random Google search. I like the modifications, especially the windscreen which will definitely help the rider from wind blast.

Source: http://www.motoroids.com/bajaj-auto/...-tourer-in-it/
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:17   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post

His discussion with service station has not been quite helpful and they are not ready to top up the oil. They are recommending riding in this condition which does not go well with our general understanding of IC Engines.
The service stations around here are not ready to share the availability of brand of Oil to be used. (Seems there is some proprietary oil being used by Bajaj and not the usual Motul)

That seems like shockingly low level of oil. What does the manual say? I would also recommend your friend to send an email to Bajaj with these photos.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:42   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Some indicator windows are machined to be viewed on side stand.

As suggested, please refer to manual for window level inspection.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:38   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Photo of Spirit level to show the bike was perpendicular to the ground and not tilting to change the oil level indication
Attachment 1606034

Oil level as seen in the indicator.
Attachment 1606035

1) Did anyone else notice such low oil levels?
2) What would be the recommendation from other reputable service stations?

I faced a similar problem with my new (then) P180 after the 1st free service. On main stand, I noticed the oil level to be exactly what the picture shows. When I confronted them, the SA said after filling oil, they did a small TD (of <2 mins). The oil is circulated in the engine +GB and, will take some time to trickle down to the pan after switching off the engine. I didn't take their word and fought for a top up; they agreed reluctantly.

I rode back home and parked the bike. In the evening, I rechecked the oil and to my horror, the oil level was 1-2 mm above the max line indicator. I realized the SA was right. The manual says the oil level should be between min and max lines on a cold engine, without starting it.

Please verify if it was checked on a cold engine only and not after running the engine (even for a short while).
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 20:08   #84

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486909680.173847.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486909705.230940.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486909722.379369.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486909757.352446.jpg

Finally took delivery last Friday.. and did a trip from Chennai to Pondy and back today.

Positives:
- Didn't rev beyond 4000 (that's at about 80kmph in 6th gear).
- Fantastic braking (had about three instances I had drop speed suddenly) that gives confidence !
- Bike is a looker, garnering attention .

Negatives:
- wind blast! it was a tad windy and I think fatigue kicked too soon though I was hovering between 70-80 kmph all through. Need to get the custom wind shield fairing installed soon. (Hey but no issues during city traffic in conditions).
- gear shifts felt a tad gruff(1 and 2nd mainly)...maybe I need to tune in or let the bike tune in better (hoping more driving will help perfect slotting).

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th February 2017 at 08:57. Reason: Typo and formatting pictures in order.
seeths is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 23:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeths View Post
Finally took delivery last Friday.. and did a trip from chennai to Pondy and back today.
Many congratulations seeths on getting your Dominar . The white color on the Dominar looks classy.
Old 14th February 2017, 11:42   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

This might be of little relevance to the thread.

I was driving to office today. It was around 9 am and the sun was quite bright. A white Dominar was following me 25-30 ft away for a short distance. I tried to see the bike in my IRVM and was dazzled by its headlights. I tried 3-4 times for a couple of seconds each time and it was quite painful for me to look at them. I am not sure how difficult the glare will be at night.
Old 14th February 2017, 19:56   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

While riding to Shoolagiri over the weekend, I spotted a few D400s on the highway returning to the city and also got to see 5 of them parked outside the usual breakfast joint. I think Bajaj missed a great opportunity to give the bike a true standout look. In parking lots and on the move, the bike's design is quite unassuming and blends in a little too easily which is exactly what you dont want for your flagship model.

Ive seen the white and the plum colour bikes and Im not sure how Bajaj goofed up on the colour schemes. For those who remember the launch of the original P150 / P180, they had red, black, blue and purple options all of which suited the bike perfectly (given the market at that time). Im sure Bajaj will rectify this over the next few years but its a missed opportunity for sure.

The USP of the bike has to be those headlights though, attention grabbing to say the least.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 17:18   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
While riding to Shoolagiri over the weekend, I spotted a few D400s on the highway returning to the city and also got to see 5 of them parked outside the usual breakfast joint. I think Bajaj missed a great opportunity to give the bike a true standout look. In parking lots and on the move, the bike's design is quite unassuming and blends in a little too easily which is exactly what you dont want for your flagship model.

Ive seen the white and the plum colour bikes and Im not sure how Bajaj goofed up on the colour schemes. For those who remember the launch of the original P150 / P180, they had red, black, blue and purple options all of which suited the bike perfectly (given the market at that time). Im sure Bajaj will rectify this over the next few years but its a missed opportunity for sure.

The USP of the bike has to be those headlights though, attention grabbing to say the least.
Humbly disagree. A stand out bike is very painful to own in Indian conditions. Some of us would want a bike that is at ease both on the highway and for daily chores. With a stand out bike it's almost impossible to leave it somewhere and not find a dozen selfie clicking blokes all over your beloved bike by the time you return.

In my humble opinion this is a positive, since the Dominar anyway is not positioned as a bike purchased exclusively for weekend rides, but one that can do both equally well.
avisidhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 09:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
That seems like shockingly low level of oil. What does the manual say? I would also recommend your friend to send an email to Bajaj with these photos.
Well this guy did not send e mail to Bajaj. But did pester with the service team here in Porur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Please verify if it was checked on a cold engine only and not after running the engine (even for a short while).
Was not the case this time. Even after 3 days of use no change. So he got the Oil himself and used close to 350 ml to have the oil midway in the indicator. He was unsure of doing a long trip with such low oil level. The bike did decently on Chennai-Mahabalipuram-Chennai trip and returned an average of 35 kmpl.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:37   #90
BHPian

Got a chance to ride the Dominar for about 30km and I am impressed. Bajaj has got the optimum balance between comfort, power & most important pricing.
The LED headlight looks beautiful & here is the video of it's performance
Sportztourer is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks