Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 16:22   #106
BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
One issue my colleague reports of low lube level.

1) Did anyone else notice such low oil levels?
2) What would be the recommendation from other reputable service stations?

Would appreciate your inputs.
Hello rohitoasis,
Even my friend faced a similar problem.
This video is the result of our visit to Bajaj service. Hope this helps to clear some confusion. If the level is low even in straight position then I think top up is required.
Sportztourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 10:49   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I have read about bike not starting or going off while riding in xbhp. Owner initially thought it was an issue with the fuse, but ultimately it turned out that the wires were not fastened properly to the battery terminal, a case of loose connection and service personnel rectified it.

KK
The service personnel came to my friend's housed and jump started the bike and took it to the service station last Thursday itself. They claim it to be a fused battery (Mighty surprising for 300 Kilometre ridden bike) and have agreed to change it against warranty. Well since then no response to phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportztourer View Post
Hello rohitoasis,
Even my friend faced a similar problem. This video is the result of our visit to Bajaj service. Hope this helps to clear some confusion. If the level is low even in straight position then I think top up is required.
Thank you for the video sir. My friend did has a communication barrier in Chennai and was not able to convince the Service team to top up and finally ended up topping it up himself.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 09:37   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
At a glance, you might mistake the Dominar 400 for a beefed up NS 200, but that is not the case:
Spotted the Dominar 400 sitting alongside it's brother, the 2017 NS200 at a Bangalore dealership. Both same colour too. Couldn't resist going inside and clicking these pics-

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170301_093429.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170301_093443.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170301_093459.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 09:58   #109
BHPian

Update

Happy to inform that I took delivery of my white beast yesterday and one more reason to be more happy since it was my birthday

Now that I have the white beast with me, its time to head to the Riding Gear thread.

Only pics for now, reports later.

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img20170301wa0018.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img20170301wa0020.jpg

Regards,
KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:32   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Final word in this context: If you own a Dominar / plan to own a Dominar, please for your own sake and everyone else's, make it a habit to dip the lights under the aforementioned three conditions. And tell your Dominar-owning / LED-running riends, too. It was bad enough with halogens...

-Eric
I couldnt agree more with your statement! Earlier this week, I was returning from work after 9 PM and there was a Dominar alongside me in some slow moving traffic. The bike's headlights were really distracting in the RVMs which could be dangerous. The bike happened to be at the front of the line at the red light which meant that it's bright headlight was visibly blinding oncoming traffic that was taking a turn in front of us. I wasnt close enough to ask the rider to dip the lights in areas where the street lights did a good job and it took me some time to outrun the Dominar owner and get to safety.

Heaven knows how those bright lights got approved in the first place but for the sake of the rest of us, dear Dominar owners please do follow Ringoism's suggestion.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:18   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Happy to inform that I took delivery of my white beast yesterday and one more reason to be more happy since it was my birthday
Belated birthday wishes! And congratulations on the new purchase.

Not only is the showroom same as the one I posted pics from, earlier in the day. But I also believe I saw you in the evening post delivery, while I was returning back. I do clearly remember the colour of the jacket.
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:33   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Belated birthday wishes! And congratulations on the new purchase.

Not only is the showroom same as the one I posted pics from, earlier in the day. But I also believe I saw you in the evening post delivery, while I was returning back. I do clearly remember the colour of the jacket.
Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR. I don't remember spotting you there, as I can identify you since I just met you last month at the Chikaballapur drive. May be I have missed in my enthu of bike delivery.

KK
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:42   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Update

Regards,
KK
Wish you a belated birthday KK and Congrats on your latest acquisition buddy

If things roll "As Promised", I must be getting my White Horse (FZ25) on Monday as well.

In all earnest, the quarter litre Yamaha actually looks like the D400 from a distance to an untrained eye. Wonder if this was actually a well planned strategy or just a pure coincidence.

Quote:

Not only is the showroom same as the one I posted pics from, earlier in the day. But I also believe I saw you in the evening post delivery, while I was returning back
Ironically, I visited this showroom yesterday afternoon to give D400 one last shot before making my decision.
So basically, the 3 of us were at the same place and never met up!!
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:49   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Wish you a belated birthday KK and Congrats on your latest acquisition buddy

If things roll "As Promised", I must be getting my White Horse (FZ25) on Monday as well.
Thanks Vik, now you must plan for a breakfast ride, a departure from the regular breakfast drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Ironically, I visited this showroom yesterday afternoon to give D400 one last shot before making my decision.
So basically, the 3 of us were at the same place and never met up!!
Did you visit Popular Bajaj on Bannerghatta road, isn't this quite for off for you. And I took delivery on 1st March, not yesterday.

KK
Old 7th March 2017, 02:14   #115

Hey Guys!!
Happy to share that I picked up my Dominar on 1st of March 2017!
Yes the date finally arrived. I booked the bike on 26th Jan and got a call from GSM Bajaj that my bike was ready for delivery on 9th Feb! Phew, that was quick! But as I was supposed to pick it up from a place 300km away from my place, I got delayed a bit.

1st March, At GSM Bajaj:
Vehicle showrooms in NCR were expected to have a bit more premium feel, a lot more professionalism, and definitely more customer oriented approach. I picked up my Dzire from Gurgaon way back in 2013 and I was impressed with the difference in customer service between a Metropolitan dealership and that of a Tier2 city like Bareilly. It was a wow experience!

This is 2017, at a dealership which is witnessing a huge response in his new age kid-on-the-block-Dominar. It was situated in a very shabby place, a few blocks off Rajiv Chawk (Ggn expressway) on Khandsa Road. Extremely bad road network all around it. The ride quality and engine on the test bike had a certain harshness to it. It got me worried. But was relieved to find my bike smooth and charming, just like it is expected to be. ��
I got 3 whites to choose from. Honestly, couldn't judge one flaw on all three. May be I was rushing. I picked one for PDI. It took them an hour.

Bike delivery, 12-ish something on the clock:
Bike was not cleaned properly. It had dust. I had to guide the boy to do it properly. A white adhesive tape was stuck on the 'Dominar' & 'D400' badge. He removed it and didnt clean the glue marks. When asked to, he first put his nails to a nasty use, then tried rubbing it off. No good. Another senior guy showed up with petrol to clean it, which I promptly refused. Then the senior executive used some cheap cleaner which made it look even worse. Realised it was a polish! ��

Took the delivery from behind the showroom out of its service garage. Witnessed a visitor storm my bike by cranking in continously with the side stand on! The staff which couldnt reset the trip meter, who didnt have a cleaner or a wd40 in their garage! It felt like I recieved a bike from its first service and the service too was not satisfying! Forgettable experience, in short!

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488831134.307667.jpg
Pic with the guard sahab at the rear of the showroom, the only guy who was genuinely interested in addressing my problems.

I was with my nephew who lives in Gurgaon. Next stop was Cyber hub, for some yummy food and a selfie ofcourse!
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488831097.272766.jpg

We rode some 70 kms in Gurgaon. The cooling fan didnt come on even once. Bike was heavy and powerful, and wanting to be unleashed (thanks to the rpm limit of 4k till 500km)

Enough has been said about its performance and looks. But one thing what I realised is, its not a head turner! Anybody who looks at it goes, 'Ye to pulsar hai, or is it Apache'! Secondly, it intrigues the viewer only when someone spots its secondary lcd or the large tank (top view). Profile view is too pulsar-ish. Rear lights proves everyone right 'Yes, Pulsar it is!!'

I feel Bajaj changed its name from Pulsar CS400 to Dominar 400 to give it a brand makeover and impart a more premium feel, but I see it fail miserably because it looks just like a grown up pulsar. The Dominar badge font is also pulsar inspired and very predictable to be compared with a Pulsar.

What I hate the most:
Handle locks on the left side only! Come on, engineers! Whats the logic behind this! And trust me, this way its headlight dips to the bottom of the road making it appear even more ordinary! While handle on its right side shows nice flowing lines from the large tank to its light and looks fanatastic! Morever, you need to nudge the handle just a wee bit to the right to open the lock, else the key wont turn! Never did that to my Yamaha Fzs, so it just feels too wierd.

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488832477.031998.jpg

Million dollar Question: AM I LOVING IT? Damn Yess!!

Enjoy a few pics now. To be continued tomorrow.
To follow: 300Km ride back home. Rider comfort. Some more pics. Fuel consumption.

Also, I've clocked 480kms in 5 days and I'm due for a service tomorrow morning. Any suggestions are welcome!

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488832749.041165.jpg
My nephew showing some swagger!!
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488832766.136860.jpg
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488832837.591069.jpg
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488832877.990830.jpg
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488832933.013999.jpg
My kid is excited too!!
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488832975.314712.jpg

Cheers guys!

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th March 2017 at 13:05.
akki4 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 09:40   #116

Morning!!
Went for the service a few minutes ago. The bad news is that they do not stock the Bajaj 10W50 engine oil! Whereas arlier they confirmed they do have!
However, they offered to fill Motul 10W50 from the KTM centre.
I think it might risk the warranty. What do you guys suggest.?

Thanks in advance!
Old 7th March 2017, 10:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Photo of Spirit level to show the bike was perpendicular to the ground and not tilting to change the oil level indication

His discussion with service station has not been quite helpful and they are not ready to top up the oil. They are recommending riding in this condition which does not go well with our general understanding of IC Engines.
The service stations around here are not ready to share the availability of brand of Oil to be used. (Seems there is some proprietary oil being used by Bajaj and not the usual Motul)

This anamoly was spotted by me in my 2015 pulsar 200 AS early on. I understand that the Bajaj got the oil quantity requirement wrong for their bikes, once you fill the recommended quantity the guage shows mid level but if your crank the engine the oil gets circulated and the level good out of range. I usually to up the oil by cranking the engine during oil change.
It is a must because if you ride the bike with such a low level of oil you'll feel that the engine is gruff.
Alas, Bajaj dealers don't follow this.

By the way, FYI my bike is performing flawlessly through the years have ridden 18000 km till now, 85%+ distances in long trips. I don't commute on my pulsar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki4 View Post
Morning!!
Went for the service a few minutes ago. The bad news is that they do not stock the Bajaj 10W50 engine oil! Whereas arlier they confirmed they do have!

Thanks in advance!
Won't cause any problem, bajaj oil is bad anyway

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th March 2017 at 11:38. Reason: Back to back posts.
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 10:49   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki4 View Post
Motul is one of the best choices, and as long as the specs match, it really shouldn't be an issue. Even Bajaj oil will only be rebranded oil from some other company other than KTM just to bring the costs down.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:12   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Motul is one of the best choices, and as long as the specs match, it really shouldn't be an issue. Even Bajaj oil will only be rebranded oil from some other company other than KTM just to bring the costs down.
THe friend whose problems i was citing in the earlier posts was suggesting that Bajaj Service station uses TOTAL brand 10W50.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 11:14   #120

Quote:
One issue my colleague reports of low lube level.

Photo of Spirit level to show the bike was perpendicular to the ground and not tilting to change the oil level indication

Attachment 1606034

Oil level as seen in the indicator.

Attachment 1606035

His discussion with service station has not been quite helpful and they are not ready to top up the oil. They are recommending riding in this condition which does not go well with our general understanding of IC Engines.

The service stations around here are not ready to share the availability of brand of Oil to be used. (Seems there is some proprietary oil being used by Bajaj and not the usual Motul)

Hey..
I've had similar concerns at the time of delivery. The oil level was touching the low level mark. I check the oil everyday on cold engine at upright position. And daily I find the oil level to be seriously low, but the service managers are just not ready to accept it.
That is why am going for an early service at 470km.

Here is one of the pic I take every morning.
Mostly it shows a little lower than this.:

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488865313.588372.jpg

Its been just 6 days and I've already realised that we ourselves are the best engineers for our bikes. Bajaj techies are the last bet!
akki4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks