Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2017, 19:37   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki4 View Post
I've already realised that we ourselves are the best engineers for our bikes. Bajaj techies are the last bet!
You are right, I find that routine servicing is better done by self or by a mechanic in front of us. The quality is man power is not assured in authorised service stations since they are unable to retain good mechanics over long term.
However it is also important to have good relationship with the service centre too. Otherwise it'll be difficult to procure oil filter etc.
Old 7th March 2017, 20:37   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Its quite surprising for the oil to go low on a new bike. Could be a classic case of under-filling oil on a new engine. Maybe do an oil change around 500 kms. Ride another 500 kms and keep a close watch on the oil levels (preferably first thing in the morning when the bike is left idle for atleast 6 hours).
Old 7th March 2017, 21:28   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Another update from this friend of mine.

The bike refuses to start today morning. Would non usage of 1 day cause such issues?

He can hear the fuel pump activating as he thumbs the starter. But nothing after that.
Does not look like a loose connection with the battery as mentioned by someone else.
How are the fuel pumps activating then, if it is a loose connection.
Could be a problem with the starter motor, if the cranking is not happening.

Did he try push starting it?

Quote:
One issue my colleague reports of low lube level.

His discussion with service station has not been quite helpful and they are not ready to top up the oil. They are recommending riding in this condition which does not go well with our general understanding of IC Engines.
The service stations around here are not ready to share the availability of brand of Oil to be used. (Seems there is some proprietary oil being used by Bajaj and not the usual Motul)
How many Kms had been covered on the said oil?
Is the reading taken on a cold engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Mak tweeted this to us. I haven't seen any other similar cases yet...
Lot of factors could be in play here. Looks like a nasty hit.
We cant know for sure if it is design defect, unless we see the pothole itself and the speed at which the event happened.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 09:38   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Does not look like a loose connection with the battery as mentioned by someone else.
How are the fuel pumps activating then, if it is a loose connection.
Could be a problem with the starter motor, if the cranking is not happening.

Did he try push starting it?
I am sorry i could not update the forum earlier about the developments. The Battery was changed under warranty. (Did take them 4 days to get this done)
Few days down the line last Friday, bike refuses to start again. The Amperage found very low in the battery. As of that day rectifier was changed under warranty. No problems since then till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
How many Kms had been covered on the said oil?
Is the reading taken on a cold engine?
This was less than 100 Km on this distance and yes taken on cold engine. Even after a 5 km ride from service to house, the level remained unchanged and Bajaj SA would not agree to top up at all. However before my friend did a long distance, he topped it up himself with Bajaj 10W50.

Now that both issues are sorted waiting to see how Dominar grows out of its heavy gear action. No other issues noted for now.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:51   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that both issues are sorted waiting to see how Dominar grows out of its heavy gear action. No other issues noted for now.

Are there any vibrations across any RPM range on your bike?

Last edited by payeng : 8th March 2017 at 13:02.
Old 8th March 2017, 15:14   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Are there any vibrations across any RPM range on your bike?
Unfortunately the friend has not crossed 70 kph till date to answer this question satisfactorily. No reported vibrations till the said speed though.
Old 8th March 2017, 17:10   #127
BHPian

Enjoying the Dominar (my close friend's bike) from last couple of weeks. Did a highway ride of 100+ kms on the D400. I am in love with its power & torque availability in the mid range.
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_3294.jpg

People looking for RPM & speed figures in 6th gear:
60kmph at 3500rpm
80kmph at 4500rpm
90kmph at 5000 rpm
100kmph at 5500rpm

So every 500rpm increment in 6th gear gives plus 10kmph on the speedometer.

100kmph at 5500rpm is similar to Duke 390, obviously not at the same alarming pace of D390. Post 100kmph you will feel the urge to upshift even if you are at 6th gear. A buzz can be sensed on the tank & handle bar post 4000rpm, I don't know if it goes after a certain rpm but it will not be a deal breaker, atleast not for me. Post 85-90kmph you can see the buzz making the mirrors buzzy (nothing like Enfield's mirror).

Overall its hard to find major faults/flaw on this bike (apart from minor nit picking I did above) & once you are on the highway you can feel that this bike is built to cruise & belongs to the highway.

P.S: Did the highway ride with a pillion & there is no noticeable power drop when riding with the pillion.

As reported to me the above image was not visible so re uploading the image again please attach this image to my above post.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th March 2017 at 20:32. Reason: Posts merged. Image re-uploaded.
Sportztourer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 05:19   #128

Morning Guys!
Finally I'm caught in a bad situation. Bareilly dealer has refused to service my bike a couple of days ago. He got me the Motul from KTM but when he checked on his system using my cust id, he got a message saying 'You are not authorised to service this bike'!!

He confirmed from an bajaj engineer in Pune and he said to me that getting it serviced from this dealer will void the warranty of my bike! Cant believe he said that to me!

So the fact is that dealer cant service untill they start selling the bike.
I've clocked 560Km and Gurgaon is 300km away. Might reach there by 900. Will that be an issue to my warranty claims later, just in case needed?

This has really given me hibbi-bi-jibbies!! 🙈
Old 12th March 2017, 08:34   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportztourer View Post
60kmph at 3500rpm
80kmph at 4500rpm
90kmph at 5000 rpm
100kmph at 5500rpm
The 6th gear defenitely gives it an edge over the FZ250 on the highways. The Yamaha is a lot more frantic in its top gear (5 speed) with -

90kmph at 6000 rpm.
100kmph at ~6500 rpm.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 11:55   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Morning Guys!
Finally I'm caught in a bad situation. Bareilly dealer has refused to service my bike a couple of days ago.
Yes this is the fact that many Bajaj dealers/sub dealers are not authorized to service the Dominar. A few have only one mechanic who is trained to work on D400 so they ask you get the service appointment beforehand. The owner's manual doesn't come with any free service coupons, Bajaj will send you an OTP on your registered mobile number when you are at the service centre (the reason they showed your bike is not eligible for service at that dealership), So people sourcing their Dominar from other cities or through sub dealers please check the nearest authorized service centre for servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The 6th gear defenitely gives it an edge over the FZ250 on the highways. The Yamaha is a lot more frantic in its top gear (5 speed) with -

90kmph at 6000 rpm.
100kmph at ~6500 rpm.
Similar case with my RTR 200 due to 5 gears. Don't know about the FZ25 (eager to ride one) but the RTR 200 doesn't feels busy at 90-95kmph. Lower cruising RPMs will always have the fuel efficiency advantage especially on a higher capacity motorcycle.
Sportztourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 12:07   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
90kmph at 6000 rpm.
100kmph at ~6500 rpm.
Quote:
Similar case with my RTR 200 due to 5 gears. Don't know about the FZ25 (eager to ride one) but the RTR 200 doesn't feels busy at 90-95kmph. Lower cruising RPMs will always have the fuel efficiency advantage especially on a higher capacity motorcycle.
Any news on after market visors. Sustaining >90kmph for long will be tiring. Just read somewhere Eric Vas mentioning about the addition of fairing to the D400 would have resulted a very high price.
Old 13th March 2017, 07:10   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Will that be an issue to my warranty claims later, just in case needed?
Please do not ride to Gurgaon in this condition, you may do one thing. Drain the oil and put in some cheap mineral oil before riding to Gurgaon. Factory filled oil should be replaced as soon as possible for engine health. In a newly manufactured engine they'll be lot of dust and contamination, you can't keep on using that oil. That cheap oil which is filled in factory should be replaced ASAP.
When I drained my AS200 engine oil at 50km on odo, it had lot of contamination. One could feel it in finger tips and see it in its colour.
Old 13th March 2017, 13:07   #133
BHPian

I test drove the Dominar 400 last week and it ruined my expectations. I own a Honda Unicorn for the past 11 Years and I am spoilt by its butter smooth engine and refinement. Coming from that background, the D400 was vibrating a lot. Even at idle, I could feel the vibrations on the handle bars and the engine felt harsh. I do not have much experience with bigger engine bikes except a few rides on a friends abused Duke 200 which had the similar harshness and vibrations. I have also ridden Bullet 350/500, but its roughness are on a different scale and will always stay away from them.

Is it expected on modern bigger engine bikes? I think the test drive vehicle too was an abused vehicle and had done <1000KMs. How does Yamaha Fz25 compare against Dominar 400 with respect to NVH? I really need the ABS and that is why I am not considering the Yamaha. From the test drive, I didn't feel the D400 is built to last.
My primary use will be weekend rides and occasional city rides. Is there any other bikes I could consider?
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 14:15   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
My primary use will be weekend rides and occasional city rides. Is there any other bikes I could consider?
If budget is not a concern try Duke390-2017.
390 is a different species all together as compared to 200.

If budget is tight, try Apache RTR200. The fuel injected model will be launched in March only. It has ABS. Can ride 100+ smoothly but 115+ all day long will require some effort and planning.

Do take a test drive for both the vehicles.
Old 13th March 2017, 16:20   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

60kmph at 3500rpm
80kmph at 4500rpm
90kmph at 5000 rpm
100kmph at 5500rpm
This is great piece of information, thanks for sharing it.
So at 100 kmph in 6th gear the bike is right in the zone, and you would not need to downshift for a quick overtake as the max torque is developed at 6500 RPM.

Quote:

90kmph at 6000 rpm.
100kmph at ~6500 rpm.
To compare this against my 2012 Pulsar NS which does 100 kmph at around 7000 RPM in 6th gear. It might be slighter higher revs in my bike as I have a 140 section rear tire on my bike.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed