Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2019, 10:16   #601
BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I believe RE 650 is eating up the sub-500cc market, It will be interesting to see if upgrades will help the Dominar to retain its market share.
But both the bikes have a completely different customer base. There might be very little chances for cross shopping amongst two. Moreover the segments are different too. Just my two cents.
Old 21st March 2019, 11:33   #602
Senior - BHPian

Not really, I know many non-RE riders considering the 650 twin, the price point and the performance are the deciders here. both the bikes are good for touring so anyone who has the budget will surely consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
But both the bikes have a completely different customer base. There might be very little chances for cross shopping amongst two. Moreover the segments are different too. Just my two cents.
If someone who can afford 2lakhs, will he not try to push his budget and buy the 650twin? thanks to easy loan availability its possible.
However, market preference and trends cant be measured, its mostly dependent on perceptions and I think for now its going well with RE.

That said, hope Bajaj gets a touring version of this bike, this segment has so much potential and this bike is capable.

which will make it a perfect touring bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
That's a wrong way to look at the market.

The 650 Twins cost around 3 Lakhs on Road... and the Dominar would cost around 2 Lakhs on road. There would be a difference of a Lakh between them.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st March 2019 at 12:08.
Old 21st March 2019, 15:11   #603
Senior - BHPian

Neither of the RE 650's are good for touring, at least for me, given that both have screwed up Ergonomics, and from what is increasingly becoming evident it's not an easy one to fix either. Moreover, the spoke rims with tube tires - a touring nightmare. So from that perspective the Dominar, particularly the new one, has a lot going for it. Speaking just for myself I'd much rather tour on my RC390 than a RE650. What the RE650 is perfect for though are breakfast rides and mall visits.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:13   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If someone who can afford 2lakhs, will he not try to push his budget and buy the 650twin? thanks to easy loan availability its possible.
Not just the price, but both products would also appeal to different customers with different tastes and buying preferences.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:28   #605
BHPian

Quote:
This is a never ending paradox and a flawed approach to consider the purchasing power of a consumer.

What is to stop someone buying an RE 650 from going for say a Versys 650 which is in a league of its own when it comes to touring?

Again the easy availability of loans and the desirability of the product might make a case for itself.

But as a previous RE owner and currently riding the Dominar I would say that they are completely different vehicles.

One charms you with its retro looks and easy going approach while the other is an comfortable, rev hungry slightly flawed commuter cum tourer.

With a few modifications that I have done on my Dominar it is perfect for me to tour on it and fits my needs to the fullest.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-20180714_13442401.jpeg  

Last edited by Thebat : 22nd March 2019 at 10:29.
Thebat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:44   #606
BHPian

Came across an interesting modification for Dominar. Do not know how useful this is, but the 6 kg trimming feels good.

https://www.motoroids.com/news/custo...drops-6-kilos/

Mods,

Please delete this if you feel it do not fit-in here.
Old 27th March 2019, 12:43   #607
BHPian

Can this price estimation be true? If so, 14,000 increase is VFM compared to the newly added features.

https://www.rushlane.com/2019-bajaj-...-12302669.html
Old 28th March 2019, 10:26   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Can this price estimation be true? If so, 14,000 increase is VFM compared to the newly added features.

Don't have an idea on the pricing of Inverted fork setup and the additional cost incurred in redesigned exhaust set up. May be some experts can shed some light. If it is around 14K increase for this update, then the pie has become even more mouthwatering.
Old 28th March 2019, 13:24   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

My personal view:
Major upgrades in 2019 are
1. USD Forks
2. Modified Exhaust
3. Some Jazzy electronics( Read: Gear Shift Indicator)
4. 5 BHP increase in the Engine capacity.

Coming to point 1, 2 and 3:
1. This is not an ADDITION to bike but, a replacement. A fork is a fork whether it is USD(Upside Down) or OR DSU (Down Side UP). Why should there be an increase in price just because forks are USD? It is just been borrowed from KTM. No design/ R&D cost in developing them.
2. Again, this is NOT an Addition to the bike. It is just a replacement. Modification in the exhaust is not an engineering refinement but it is only cosmetic (Sound change increasing the BASS)
3. Gear shift indicator is only addition perse to the bike.
4. 5 BHP increase in the Engine capacity
Again, this is just tuning of the engine while it is NO change in the design or manufacturing of the engine. Setting the parameters somewhere in MID of earlier Dominar and KTM 390

Does these changes really warrant such a big price increase? if you ask me, I do not see value add in the price increase.

While I fully praise Bajaj for selling the most value for Money bike at below 2 Lakhs On road price, the price increase of 14K for just one cosmetic change, one addition of Jazzy stuff, and some tuning in the engine parameters to increase the power does not justify the increase in price

Last edited by gkveda : 28th March 2019 at 13:26.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 11:01   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
My personal view:
Major upgrades in 2019 are
1. USD Forks
2. Modified Exhaust
3. Some Jazzy electronics( Read: Gear Shift Indicator)
4. 5 BHP increase in the Engine capacity.

Coming to point 1, 2 and 3:
1. This is not an ADDITION to bike but, a replacement. A fork is a fork whether it is USD(Upside Down) or OR DSU (Down Side UP). Why should there be an increase in price just because forks are USD? It is just been borrowed from KTM. No design/ R&D cost in developing them.
2. Again, this is NOT an Addition to the bike. It is just a replacement. Modification in the exhaust is not an engineering refinement but it is only cosmetic (Sound change increasing the BASS)
3. Gear shift indicator is only addition perse to the bike.
4. 5 BHP increase in the Engine capacity
Again, this is just tuning of the engine while it is NO change in the design or manufacturing of the engine. Setting the parameters somewhere in MID of earlier Dominar and KTM 390

Does these changes really warrant such a big price increase? if you ask me, I do not see value add in the price increase.

While I fully praise Bajaj for selling the most value for Money bike at below 2 Lakhs On road price, the price increase of 14K for just one cosmetic change, one addition of Jazzy stuff, and some tuning in the engine parameters to increase the power does not justify the increase in price

In answer to your above questions -

1)USD forks cost more than standard forks to produce, Dukes front suspension set costs almost double of what Dominar's regular front suspension costs.

2)The exhaust end can is all new and is supposedly much better in all aspects. Tough I agree this shouldnt have a major impact on pricing.

3)Glad you agree that it's a new addition. It would also be good to aknowledge that the secondary display on the tank is all new and can do a lot more over the previous one.

4)The engine design has changed. Its now a DOHC when compared to the previous SOHC. Would please request you to do your reaserch on why the new setup is superior.

So in essence the addition is not only jazzy stuff and cosmetic in nature as you claim it to be. Also the reviews point out to the vibrations having considerably reduced.

And to conclude the price increase is a modest 10k over the previous model which I belive is justified given the through update that has been made.
Thebat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:54   #611
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Hi folks,

Booked the 2019 Dominar in Auroral green about more than a week back. They say it is being produced in limited numbers. I can expect delivery in the second half of May is what my SA is saying although he admits he can't give me a concrete date as of now. The on road price is ₹ 2,15,465 for Kochi. Test ride is almost ready and I should be getting one in the next 2 to 3 days. RTO approval here is pending. Also, as per today's update, there is reduction in price of about 4000. Not sure why they have done this though. Their official website has been updated to show the new price.

I am not sure what is the reason, but Bajaj has been delaying launch in the south. I hear dealers in Mumbai and the north started delivery many days back.

Was wondering if there is anyone here who has booked or taken delivery of the bike.

Posting couple of pics from launch here at Popular Bajaj on April 27th.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-picsart_050108.57.01.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-picsart_050108.42.08.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-picsart_050108.57.56.jpg  

Last edited by aswin ajith : 2nd May 2019 at 19:13.
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 11:25   #612
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, due to heavy rains, My Dominar had to swim in a pool of water on Hosur Road. Although, just a week back, I had cleaned the chain and lubed it, yesterday after getting into swimming pool, I am not sure if the lube continues to stay and work as earlier.

Then, I got this question to my self. Why are these manufacturers behind removing the chain guard boxes for all bikes?
What sporty or beauty can a bike gain just because, a chain is made naked by removing the box?

I consider this removal of chain protection box (The one available in lower cc bikes like Unicorn) to be a big disadvantage to the chain
1. Chain getting exposed to wet condition/dirt condition
2. Frequent cleaning and lubing required

Hence, am interested to put a box around the chain like in Unicorn if possible for my Dominar. Am not worried about the looks OR sportiness of the bike

Can someone throw some light if this is done earlier? If yes, How? Where? which bikes chain box suits Dominar ? Please help
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 12:11   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Then, I got this question to my self. Why are these manufacturers behind removing the chain guard boxes for all bikes?
What sporty or beauty can a bike gain just because, a chain is made naked by removing the box?
I'm not sure a chain guard box would have helped you in any way in your water crossing situation. The box is in no way water tight and would have done similar damage compared to your naked chain.

I for one would prefer an exposed chain as I can see its condition on a day to day basis. A naked chain also helps in easy DIY chain cleaning and lubing.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 12:21   #614
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, due to heavy rains, My Dominar had to swim in a pool of water on Hosur Road. Although, just a week back, I had cleaned the chain and lubed it, yesterday after getting into swimming pool, I am not sure if the lube continues to stay and work as earlier.

I consider this removal of chain protection box (The one available in lower cc bikes like Unicorn) to be a big disadvantage to the chain
1. Chain getting exposed to wet condition/dirt condition
2. Frequent cleaning and lubing required

Hence, am interested to put a box around the chain like in Unicorn if possible for my Dominar. Am not worried about the looks OR sportiness of the bike

Can someone throw some light if this is done earlier? If yes, How? Where? which bikes chain box suits Dominar ? Please help
Fully agree with your views, that without chain-box/chain-cover we are exposing a critical part of transmission mechanism to the elements and also this in turn increases the maintenance frequency and cost. I am not sure what is gained in looks department due to a naked chain.

I guess there was a sustained campaign 20 years back, here many of the auto magazines continuously showcased 'naked chain' as one of the key features for high end bikes. Auto manufacturers lapped up this recommendation gleefully, because they saved cost of a component(chain cover)and also gained extra maintenance charges due to open chain remained exposed to elements.

Another key point many of us overlook is the additional risk open chain carry due to increased probability of getting saree or dupatta entangled in chain and resulting in a serious accident

Regards
JLS
Old 16th May 2019, 12:39   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why are these manufacturers behind removing the chain guard boxes for all bikes?
Removal of full chain cover/guard is more for safety reasons than anything else and more so in higher capacity bikes than commuter segment bikes (different chain type).

In case of unfortunate incident of chain link breakage, for partly covered chain, chain will just roll down onto road, bike will loose momentum however rider will still be able to stop bike safely.

Whereas, for a fully covered chain, broken chain will get entangled into chain cover and rider will not have much control on bike, might face a sudden jerk/stop.

Related thread (Exposed versus Covered Rear Wheel Chains in Bikes)
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed