Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hero Flash electric scooter unveiled in India

Hero Electric has unveiled the Flash electric scooter in India. The Flash will be the entry-level scooter in Hero Electric's portfolio.

The Hero Flash is powered by a 250 Watt electric motor that draws power from a 48 volt, 20 Ah VRLA battery pack. The company claims that the Flash can cover a distance of 65 km per charge, while its top speed is 25 km/h. The scooter can be completely charged within 6-8 hours. Being a small capacity electric scooter, the Hero Flash does not require any registration.

The Flash comes with telescopic suspension at the front, 16-inch alloy wheels and full body crash guard. The scooter hasn’t been laden with any advanced features to keep the final price under check. It weighs 87 kgs and will be available in two dual-tone colours: Red-Black and Silver-Black.

Hero Flash electric scooter unveiled in India-unnamed.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Hero Flash electric scooter unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The company claims that the Flash can cover a distance of 65 km per charge, while its top speed is 25 km/h. [/url][/b]
25Kmph speed limit-- is it a joke! Why bother release such a bike. It should have been at least 60kph!
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
25Kmph speed limit-- is it a joke! Why bother release such a bike. It should have been at least 60kph!
25 kmph limit is kept to avoid the need for registering the scooter.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 00:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am more interested in the luggage box with pillion backrest. Hope Hero sells it as a spare part.

25kmph electric bikes are not new, and they don't require RTO permission/license/insurance. Basically eletrically powered bicycles looking like mopeds. Just that now Hero is selling it rather than dicey local companies.

EDIT: This speed limit is not decided by the company, it is rather inherent with the low power battery at 250W.

Last edited by ani_meher : 3rd February 2017 at 00:06.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
EDIT: This speed limit is not decided by the company, it is rather inherent with the low power battery at 250W.
It's all combined; for instance, I recall Mofa from Enfield in the mid 80's which did not required to be registered as the vehicle was only 30cc & did only 30 Kmph restriction had 17" wheels & 30 Kg in weight & yielded a whopping 90 Kmpl!!

So Hero might've walked the same way; no registration required, 25 Kmph top speed & in order to achieve that, a 250W motor would suffice. That in turn keeps the price to <20K.
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have seen scooters like this. They can be used within colonies or inside large townships where public traffic is not allowed. Not on public roads, too risky.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

If this does not require registration, then,
Is license required to drive this vehicle on the road?
Is there any age limit threshold for drivers to drive this vehicle?

Also, please share the other specifications
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Is license required to drive this vehicle on the road?
No

Quote:
Is there any age limit threshold for drivers to drive this vehicle?
No

Quote:
Also, please share the other specifications
What other specification? About scooter? I used Google
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
25 kmph limit is kept to avoid the need for registering the scooter.
So does that mean riding electric scooter under influence of alcohol does not amount to punishable offence
On a serious note, Hero had investments in Ather, but with their own product portfolio are they not eating Ather's share ?
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:48   #10
BHPian

Actually if you think differently, closed areas like IT parks, Factories, gated communities,etc. (everything other than public roads) we can use any WATT motor and it doesn't require registration/regulation, like ATVs & go-Karts we already see in arenas.

Its only public roads which require 250W motor limit for all the freebies.

I think these big companies should either lobby govt to sanction this till 750W or get their scooters tested and certified and go via regular scooter sale flow and introduce bigger WATT motors (like Reva)!
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

There are a lot of such 250W/25kmph Electric Scooters. Some from reasonably popular companies and many locals ones. As mentioned above, they can be useful for short runs and within large townships and IT Parks. So there is some benefit.

The downside I have seen with all these Electric Scooters is the price. Most of the models-Even the other models from Hero Electric, cost above 30-35K which makes it very expensive for what it provides.

From what I read online, this one costs 19990 which is a very good price. So maybe we will see better adoption.

On a side note: 25kmph is not bad. Average speed in Bangalore is less than 20kmph and in the core traffic areas it is <10kmph.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would say that you will need serious amount of that to make yourself ride one, why, let me explain. I was getting my car puncture repaired once in Jaipur around 4-5 years back. Suddenly I saw two people riding some electric scooter at a very slow speed. I asked them their opinion regarding the experience they started cursing like hell. They also mentioned that speed can slightly improve if there is only one rider but when they both need to go together they have to be patient and face the questions their fellow road travelers ask, like I was doing. The problem gets compounded when they face slightest of inclines and the pillion rider has to get down and push the vehicle. They were really terrified.

Also IMHO its simply not worth to charge the battery for 6-8 hours just for 65 kms ride which would further decrease if the battery gets older orif there are two riders plus small bag. A bicycle can save time for 65 kms distance if you take into account the charging time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
So does that mean riding electric scooter under influence of alcohol does not amount to punishable offence
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

On a side note: 25kmph is not bad. Average speed in Bangalore is less than 20kmph and in the core traffic areas it is <10kmph.
With max speed of 25kmph, the average speed would be even less !

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 4th February 2017 at 01:23. Reason: Broken quote tags fixed.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Average speed in Bangalore is less than 20kmph and in the core traffic areas it is <10kmph.
Agree, Average speed is less than 20 Kmph if you travel by Bullet or Pulsar

So, when you drive this vehicle?
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:21   #15
BHPian

Max speed of this bicycle is 25kmph on Li-ion battery: http://www.hulikkal.com/product/hulikkal-avatar-e-bike/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks