Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:32   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Bike under 4 lakhs for city commuting as well as long distance touring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
4. ABS - though highly preferred, I can still live without it
If you really cant stretch for new unit, keep an eye out for a well kept Kawasaki ER6N / Ninja 650. Barring the lack of ABS, it will keep you happier than all the new options you have listed out.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
If you really cant stretch for new unit, keep an eye out for a well kept Kawasaki ER6N / Ninja 650. Barring the lack of ABS, it will keep you happier than all the new options you have listed out.
Thanks Manson for the suggestion. As I am upgrading from RE Thunderbird, not really looking for bigger one and keeping to quarter liter for various reasons. I am new to the performance segment and want to play it slow also even if I get bigger bikes at much lesser price the cost of ownership is going to be high.

For now narrowed down to Z250, N300 or R3. Booked a test rides for all three tomorrow.
NaveenKBorra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 01:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Manson for the suggestion. As I am upgrading from RE Thunderbird, not really looking for bigger one and keeping to quarter liter for various reasons. I am new to the performance segment and want to play it slow also even if I get bigger bikes at much lesser price the cost of ownership is going to be high.

For now narrowed down to Z250, N300 or R3. Booked a test rides for all three tomorrow.
Service costs of the N650 is not too different compared to these bikes. This post should give you a fair idea.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3725967

Regarding 'playing it slow', I recently upgraded from a Pulsar (3 years ago)/ Hero Meastro scooter to the Versys 650. These bikes are not performance monsters or anything, and is easy to handle if you're a bit careful with the throttle, in my humble opinion.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 10:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I am new to the performance segment and want to play it slow also even if I get bigger bikes at much lesser price the cost of ownership is going to be high.

For the precise reason quoted above by you, I would say give the Dominar a fair chance. You can use it for a year or two and then upgrade to a proper big tourer.
BeantownThinker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 11:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Considering your requirements, Dominar seems to be the best bet. It is definitely value for money and a very versatile bike.

You can also consider FZ 250, even though the performance figures are not great. Considering that it is a Yamaha, it should be fun to ride.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 12:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

I will suggest to stretch your budget a little and look for Harley Street 750. You can add some add ons like front fwd control to make it comfortable but you need to see if it suits your height.
Old 6th February 2017, 14:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bike under 4 lakhs for city commuting as well as long distance touring?

Quote:
Did you test ride the above bikes? Eager to know your feedback.
Old 7th February 2017, 00:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Did you test ride the above bikes? Eager to know your feedback.
Sorry to put this late and the long post, I visited Kawasaki showroom and unfortunately the N300 was not available for test ride and no display bike as well. The Z250 had some technical issues and had gone for service and not available for test ride either.
You simply cant go home after this and as many suggested test ridden the Dominor and that too in 2 different showrooms where both were not ready to give the test ride for more than a kilometer.
Also thought to give Mojo a try, test ridden Mojo which I have already paid the booking amount of 5K last month. The mahindra folks are very friendly and gave me the bike without even asking for my DL, no pillion and even no restrictions mentioned on the distance.

Like many suggested here the upgrade bug might bite very soon with a quarter liter bike, so decided to save some $$$ for bigger upgrade in couple of years. SO it all boils down to Dominor vs Mojo now.

Mind says Dominor, heart says Mojo. The only downside on the Dominor is the reliability as the clutch on the test drive vehicle which had roughly 2K on the ODO(first bike), has lost the play and vibrations(both bikes) creeped in at as low as 50 KMPH and mostly felt on the foot pegs. On the other hand the Mojo which had 4K on the ODO was pretty smooth and had much better ride quality.
NaveenKBorra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 09:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:

4. ABS - though highly preferred, I can still live without it
Lot of good suggestions here already - I'd strongly recommend taking a bike with ABS. It is not about good braking 'technique' - It is almost impossible to prevent a fall once the wheels lock up, esp in a slippery surface (wet or gravel). ABS has saved my skin (and muscles, bones) quite a few times. The *only* reason I haven't picked up a N300 or R3 is lack of ABS.

ABS saved me when a chicken crossed the road (why?) in Avalahalli Main Road where road was smooth and slippery because of rains. I braked hard, rear wheels locked and I was certain I'd fall. There was some ABS magic (could feel the ABS in action) and the locking was avoided and the bike stopped and I was still not kissing the ground.

Not falling when wheels are locked up is not skill (learning jiu-jitsu will help you fall well without injuring much, but that's too much to ask from a rider ). We need technology to save. If I'd recommend one thing, pick ANY bike that has ABS and skip the rest.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 7th February 2017 at 09:14.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 11:48   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I braked hard, rear wheels locked and I was certain I'd fall. There was some ABS magic (could feel the ABS in action) and the locking was avoided and the bike stopped and I was still not kissing the ground.
ABS did save and I too wish all manufacturers launch bikes equipped with ABS.

But why would the rear wheel lock-up? Ideally, (only) front brake should have been used.
Old 7th February 2017, 13:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I'd strongly recommend taking a bike with ABS. It is not about good braking 'technique' - It is almost impossible to prevent a fall once the wheels lock up, esp in a slippery surface (wet or gravel). ABS has saved my skin (and muscles, bones) quite a few times. The *only* reason I haven't picked up a N300 or R3 is lack of ABS.
Thanks for highlighting the importance of ABS in bikes!
BTW what bike do you ride?
Old 7th February 2017, 14:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:

As I have not ridden N300, from my browsing experience I read everyone saying R3 is refined compared to N300
Hey Naveen,

I am a proud owner of the N300 Kwacker.

You may refer to below thread in which I have tried to cover most of the points in my review.

Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-white-12.html

I typically take it to "Lavasa" which is a disguised track for Pune guys and do NH4 long rides too and trust me, it outperforms at both ends.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 17:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
ABS did save and I too wish all manufacturers launch bikes equipped with ABS.

But why would the rear wheel lock-up? Ideally, (only) front brake should have been used.
I pressed both the brakes in panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Thanks for highlighting the importance of ABS in bikes!
BTW what bike do you ride?
I mostly ride a Duke 390 - I used to have a lot of bikes

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...uke-390-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...xperience.html
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 22:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Hey Naveen,

I am a proud owner of the N300 Kwacker.

You may refer to below thread in which I have tried to cover most of the points in my review.

Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-white-12.html

I typically take it to "Lavasa" which is a disguised track for Pune guys and do NH4 long rides too and trust me, it outperforms at both ends.

Cheers,
Amey
Hi Amey, Yes I did go through your complete thread when I was considering the N300.

Update : I am staying with Mojo 300 as it ticks most of my requirements. Only downer is the lack of ABS and I know its must. Mahindra guys ensured it can be retrofitted once available. Hoping for the best.

I am looking specifically for 'Red and white' Mojo and 2017 manufactured unit. Checked with Alfa motors(Domlur and Whitefield) and Mahaveer in BG road. All of them have 2016 models in Red and White while 2017 models only in other colors ( Black, White).

Did someone take a R&W Mojo(2017 model) recently in any of the dealerships in Bangalore? please let me know.

Why 2017 model?
I have heard from a trusted source that they made minor fixes to engine kill switch and the self start button.

Last edited by NaveenKBorra : 13th February 2017 at 22:22.
Old 14th February 2017, 00:37   #30
Team-BHP Support

Hearty congratulations.

Mojo is a very nice underrated product indeed.
Quote:
Mahindra guys ensured it can be retrofitted once available. Hoping for the best.
However, please be aware that this is only a sales pitch. No manufacturer has done anything similar till date.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed