Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 21:06   #1
BHPian

Bike under 4 lakhs for city commuting as well as long distance touring?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for my next bike upgrade. Searched various forums and could not figure out the ideal one for my requirements. I know none of them are perfect but I wanted one that suits me the best

What I want
1. Big bike as I am 6 FT and weigh 90 Kgs
2. Budget 2 - 2.5L ( Ideal) can stretch up to 4L OTR if most of my requirements are met
3. Capable of daily commuting + occasional Highway rides ( 30 Kms every day commute and 200 to 300 Kms touring once in a month)
4. Refined
5. Good Suspension
6. upright Riding position ( Read not very sporty )
7. Decent A.S.S

What I don't mind or What I consider bonus
1. Pillion comfort - my daily rides and touring will be alone
2. High Service cost(Read not insane) - I can trade $$ for quality
3. Style - Naked or fairing anything is fine
4. ABS - though highly preferred, I can still live without it

What I don't want
1. Vibrations - acceptable only at the high revs
2. Breakdowns or frequent niggles
3. An RE - purely for personal reasons

Bikes Considered
1. Yamaha YZF R3

+ Good Looks and sports bike feel
+ well refined
+ Easy to ride in city conditions
+ Riding position, though sport not as bad as R15 or KTM RCs
+ Refined Twin pot Motor

- Error 19 , read in multiple forums. not acceptable for a near 4L bike
- public gets confused with R15.

2. Bajaj Dominor

+ VFM, ABS, slipper clutch, 400 cc with 35 BHP all for 1.8 OTR
+ upright riding position, suitable for both City and highways

- Brand value
- mixed results of A.S.S

3. Mahindra Mojo

+ Well refined engine and decent amount of power figures
+ Importance that Mahindra is giving to this product
+ Mojo Tribe, lot of motivation for frequent tours

- Design and looks
- Mahindra Service - thin dealership network

4. Benelli Tnt 300
+ looks and road presence
+ Awesome exhaust sound
+ refined twin pot motor

- A.S.S
- Frequent and costly service intervals
- cost of spares

I have not considered RE's for personal reasons and CBR for its aging looks and similarity with its smaller sibling.

Mods: Please merge if a similar thread exists

Last edited by NaveenKBorra : 2nd February 2017 at 21:07. Reason: added note for Mods
NaveenKBorra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 21:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Bike under 4 lakhs for city commuting as well as long distance touring?

Only one bike in the shortlist gets ABS.

Also the other three don't really look like all-rounders in my humble opinion. R3 is poor on mileage, and has common issues with regards to the tyres. I would just pick the Dominar from this list and save the remaining amount.

In case you are not in a hurry, you could wait for the BMW 310R as well. But since it's backed by TVS, be prepared for a long wait.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 21:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
1. Big bike as I am 6 FT and weigh 90 Kgs
Please define the term Big, because for max 4L OTR, you can get only upto 300 cc motorcycles & personally I consider 800cc class & above as big & 600s as middle weights.

So, for 4L your options are limited to AS200, FZ250, Dominar, Mojo, Ninja 250 & Benelli because these are the only bikes that are not "sporty"; Akula G310R is another choice that is yet to be launched; otherwise the choices can be expanded to RC390, RC200, R3, Ninja 300 subject to relaxing your constraints. I'm deliberately not including the aged CPR in the relaxed constraints as its totally aged out model.

If you're looking in used segment, then pre 2017 model Ninja 650 works very well to your budget & requirement & probably more choices depending upon your patience & age of vehicle.

Edit - Didn't see your shortlisted vehicles; like Crazy_D says, good to get an ABS model. So probably wait for Akula if you're willing to wait & bear for sometime with niggling issues with ASC. And remember, if you want vibes free & decent ASC, then you cannot think anything beyond Kawasaki & Z250 in your case.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd February 2017 at 21:32.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 21:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Please define the term Big, because for max 4L OTR, you can get only upto 300 cc motorcycles & personally I consider 800cc class & above as big & 600s as middle weights.

Edit - Didn't see your shortlisted vehicles; like Crazy_D says, good to get an ABS model. So probably wait for Akula if you're willing to wait & bear for sometime with niggling issues with ASC. And remember, if you want vibes free & decent ASC, then you cannot think anything beyond Kawasaki & Z250 in your case.
My Bad - Few corrections
1. Read it as Big bike feel
2. I have not shortlisted, its just what I have test ridden so far.

I called up Khivraj motors in Bangalore for Ninja 300 and they said there are no bikes available currently and they are not even accepting the bookings. They also said the new version will be approx 4.5 L OTR

As I have not ridden N300, from my browsing experience I read everyone saying R3 is refined compared to N300

Last edited by NaveenKBorra : 2nd February 2017 at 21:57.
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:34   #5
BHPian

Go for Dominar.
+ Features which are useful (Like all LED lights)
+ Healthy power and torque
+ Dual channel ABS
+ Big bike feel
+ Relaxed Posture
+ Pan India Service

What's not to like? And don't think it's compromised because of that price. Think how other companies are overcharging us and you'll have an easy decision.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:43   #6
BHPian

With TVS manufactured BMW G310R close to launch its best to wait it out for its launch. TVS generally price their bikes well and am hoping it continues with G310R, unless they start looking to charge a huge premium for BMW tag.
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:52   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
With TVS manufactured BMW G310R close to launch its best to wait it out for its launch. TVS generally price their bikes well and am hoping it continues with G310R, unless they start looking to charge a huge premium for BMW tag.
Internationally its still not in the market well past the dates that were originally announced, with issues reported during the media drives and further testing going on since then.

Plus, TVS has really made a mess of the RTR 200 launch, which still remains elusive even after almost a year of its launch. I doubt if the G310R is really 'close to the launch' and even if launched, whether our market will get priority.

Like I said above, could be a good choice, but one that requires a long wait.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

If Yamaha is launching R3 2017 model with ABS anytime this year, that will be the best option!
Else in the current lot, Dominar looks good.
Old 2nd February 2017, 23:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
from my browsing experience I read everyone saying R3 is refined compared to N300
Just a question to you so that you can ask those people who talk about refinements!! With a compression ratio of 11.2:1 on a 321cc motor & 10.6:1 on a 296cc engine, what kind of refinement they notice with a 91 RON petrol on them?

And I was talking about Z250, not Ninja 300 because of your criteria on upright riding position.
Old 3rd February 2017, 00:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think Z250 has a similar, if not same riding position on Ninja 300. I ride Ninja 300 for commuting as well as touring. For a 6 footer, I doubt the comfort level, as it seems more sorted for an average height asian! For long distance touring, it is smooth and fast, but not very comfortable. On bad roads, it shows that it is not made for such abuse by tossing around the rider and pillion. On good roads though, it roars and cuts the winds.

Ninja 300 is a high quality machine with no unexpected noises or vibrations at any speeds. But at your height, do try it. If at all you are considering it, I would say rethink z250, as another 40-50k gets you the fairing and slipper clutch in N300.

I have seen used N650s in 4L range, and if you are lucky, you can end up with a great catch. It is suited for tall riders and you will not outgrow it as quickly as other 300cc bikes.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:08   #11
Team-BHP Support

# Ninja 300/Z250
# KTM 390 RC or Duke is your pick.
# R3 [2017 models have issues as well]?

Since outright handling etc are not a criteria, do give the Ninja 650 a look. Either used or via loan.
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:25   #12
BHPian

Even the new Yamaha FZ250 seems to be a good bike on paper. I have not got a test ride so I can't use my personal experience here.

It has got 20 bhp of power, looks good, and has a beefy feel to it with those tank extensions and rear type. It also has a upright riding position which you require and will be good for both daily commute and touring.

Being a Yamaha, you can also expect it to be niggle free and backed by good service and good quality.

It lacks ABS but as you have written, it's not in your priority list.

Maybe you can test ride this and then decide.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have the exact same requirements!!! Thanks for putting this up. I was searching for a used Versys, but no luck at all. Not even a lead. N650 is what I will try. 4.5 for N300 is insane.

The Dominar is OK in all aspects but just can't buy a Bajaj. The bike is well rounded though.

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2017 at 23:01.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
..The Dominar is OK in all aspects but just can't buy a Bajaj. The bike is well rounded though.
Precisely! It seems to be a great bike but I am just not able to get past the brand. They make some good bikes and the way the dominar is priced should have had me running to the showroom with my chequebook in hand but...
@NaveenKBorra, honestly, the Dominator seems to be the better option. I have requirements similar to yours but am also considering REs. It's really amazing how many options there are in this segment today.

Last edited by Roy.S : 3rd February 2017 at 10:58.
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:23   #15
BHPian

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions and thats why this forum is simply the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Go for Dominar.
+ Features which are useful (Like all LED lights)
+ Healthy power and torque
+ Dual channel ABS
+ Big bike feel
+ Relaxed Posture
+ Pan India Service

What's not to like? And don't think it's compromised because of that price. Think how other companies are overcharging us and you'll have an easy decision.
Yes, The mind says Dominor, well rounded and loaded with features at a marginal price. This is easily the most VFM product in its class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just a question to you so that you can ask those people who talk about refinements!! With a compression ratio of 11.2:1 on a 321cc motor & 10.6:1 on a 296cc engine, what kind of refinement they notice with a 91 RON petrol on them?

And I was talking about Z250, not Ninja 300 because of your criteria on upright riding position.
May be I am not someone who understands all those technical details and reading the biased reviews. That is exactly why I had come here for help. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The Dominar is OK in all aspects but just can't buy a Bajaj. The bike is well rounded though.
You stole my words, I just did not put it fearing that I might get bashed. Its a very good product but just cant imagine owning a Bajaj and considering how many bikes you might see on road in near future. Yes I am looking for something not very common

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Precisely! It seems to be a great bike but I am just not able to get past the brand. They make some good bikes and the way the dominar is priced should have had me running to the showroom with my chequebook in hand but...
Like I said even i stopped at the same "but"

Going to test ride the Z250 tomorrow. Booked a test ride with Khivraj motors Indiranagar, Bangalore
NaveenKBorra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks