Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 10:51   #46
BHPian

re: TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed

As said in my earlier post I didn't touch the bike in the past 2 months. The battery was disconnected, the bike was washed and kept under covers.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-img20170715wa0025.jpg
Yesterday evening the battery was connected back & it took around 10-15 cranks from the self starter to start the engine up, I think the choke overfilled the carburetor. My 200 took a minute or two to get back from the hibernation & come up with that raspy exhaust note (I was badly missing it).
Went for a small 40km ride in the evening & faced some serious traffic due to the Ganesh visarjan processions, but with the RTR 200 riding in the traffic is easy & less stressful due to the light weight, light clutch & perfect 1st/2nd gear combo. Filled the tank & now waiting for the Sunday to ride some more.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-img_20170804_220631_339.jpg
Meanwhile TVS had invited me for the customer meeting. People from TVS motors visited the dealership & there was an evening meet up. The session included presentations (about the company, customer facilities, products etc). A lot of feedback from the customers were taken as they had invited at least one owner of every product (two wheeler) TVS has (from TVS XL to RTR 200). I enjoyed the session & I hope TVS makes some good use of the feedbacks.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-img_20170831_104355_579.jpg

P.S: Came to know about this 'PARTS ON CALL’ facility from TVS where you can call on 180042502121 & know about spare parts and location/service station where they are available.
Sportztourer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 11:03   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportztourer View Post
P.S: Came to know about this 'PARTS ON CALL’ facility from TVS where you can call on 180042502121 & know about spare parts and location/service station where they are available.
This is interesting and another good initiative. Further enhancement could be to make the parts catalog available online for each of the products on sale. This will surely help the customer to get the right parts without much fuss.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 21:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

@ Sportztourer, first off, let me thank you for posting an ownership review.

I've been contemplating on getting a second bike for a while now and thanks to my riding buddies on team bhp and your thread, I think I now know what I want (with test ride being the only pending element in this decision making process).

A little background if you don't mind... My commute to work and back daily is around 60 kms and off late I have avoided taking the car, thanks to crazy traffic. The metro rail is not a viable option either since it is not only more expensive than the car (or commuting via the Bonneville) but also double the time to get to work and back, thanks to 3 different modes of transport that I need to avail to get to work or back home via the metro.

Using the bonnie to work everyday is not only expensive but also a wee bit tiring.. 14kmpl in the city and a stiff suspension is surely uncomfortable on bad roads and hence the search for a commuter bike with a good balance between power and FE.

So today I test rode the Gixxer 160, Honda CB Hornet 160 and the Aprilia scooter. I prefer the motorcycles anyday so Aprilia was only test ridden on a suggestion from a friend.

I found the gixxer to be peppier than the hornet but still lazy. I'm so spoiled by the mad torque of the bonnie that I was thinking if I should just give up my search and stick to the car or the bonnie for weekday commutes.

The Apache 200 specs sure seem impressive and so says your review as well. I need a quick bike for daily use which is trouble free and fun to ride as well and I think this is it.

Please do share how the tires fare and the overall service quality from TVS. What are the service intervals and the engine break-in intervals?

Thank you again and wishing you a safe and pleasant ownership on your bike.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th September 2017 at 21:35.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 23:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
@ Sportztourer, first off, let me thank you for posting an ownership review.

The Apache 200 specs sure seem impressive and so says your review as well. I need a quick bike for daily use which is trouble free and fun to ride as well and I think this is it.

Please do share how the tires fare and the overall service quality from TVS. What are the service intervals and the engine break-in intervals?

Thank you again and wishing you a safe and pleasant ownership on your bike.
Hi Aditya,
Do accept my sincere apology for the late reply (never got any notification).
I can relate to your daily commute trouble & for similar reasons I plan to keep my 200 for a long time, it will be my 2nd bike (read daily/city bike) when I upgrade. Riding the 200 is a breeze in the city, nothing to complain here other than may be the lower fuel efficiency (~30kmpl in moderate traffic condition).
I would have suggested you the Duke 200 (love the performance) to fulfill your quick bike demand but the Duke heats up in stop & go traffic, plus the stiff suspension won't tick the comfort box.
Coming to the Apache 200:
TIRES: The remora tires are good for everyday riding. These tires are really confident inspiring on dry tarmac & are ok in wet condition. These tires are made for long life & can easily last 20000+km.
SERVICE QUALITY: TVS service is a lot better (actually really good) of what it used to be 6-7 years back when I got my 180. Service & spare part availability is good in the tier-1 cities but not so good for the RTR 200 in small towns.
SERVICE COST: Well the bike is reasonable to maintain when compared to other sub 200cc bikes. Consumable Spare parts are light on pocket & there is a lot of part sharing with the younger siblings (160 & 180).
SERVICE INTERVALS: After the 1st service (500-700km), TVS recommends service after every 3000km for general check up, oil & oil filter change at every 6000km i.e every alternate service.
Break in period is around 1000-1500km (was told during the delivery).
All the best to you with the decision making & do let me know if I can be of any help 😊

Last edited by Sportztourer : 14th October 2017 at 00:06.
Sportztourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 18:39   #50
kat
BHPian

Hi Sportztourer, last weekend, I got to ride the RTR 200 which was a friend's for around 30 kms on 2-laned decently paved highways. I can echo most of the pros that you have mentioned in the first post be it least vibrations, meaty exhaust, supple ride, lovely handling or smooth gearshifts.
Except the lovely handling, none of the above are worth mentioning for my current ride, the RC390 . The only odd thing about the otherwise perfect bike was the power/torque which I found adequate but not to my satisfaction and the reason is quite obvious. Overall, I was mighty pleased with it, for it is most of what my RC isn't, in good terms though.
One hilarious thing, I started getting lower back ache as soon as I started riding it, maybe the upright position is not for me. Have done 200+ kms non-stop rides on my RC with not even a hint of pain .
Why is the mileage around the high 20s and low 30s? I can manage similar figures in the RC while touring.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Hi Sportztourer, last weekend, I got to ride the RTR 200 ....
Except the lovely handling, none of the above are worth mentioning for my current ride, the RC390 . The only odd thing about the otherwise perfect bike was the power/torque which I found adequate but not to my satisfaction and the reason is quite obvious. Overall, I was mighty pleased with it, for it is most of what my RC isn't, in good terms though.
One hilarious thing, I started getting lower back ache as soon as I started riding it, maybe the upright position is not for me. Have done 200+ kms non-stop rides on my RC with not even a hint of pain .
Why is the mileage around the high 20s and low 30s? I can manage similar figures in the RC while touring.
Hi Kat,
Happy to read that you enjoyed the RTR 200. About the power & torque, well I regularly ride my friend's Dominar 400 & I do enjoy that extra power & torque rush on the highway. My friend on the other side appreciates how nimble & easy the 200 is.
As you said the riding position does takes some time to adjust for riders when switching from one motorcycle to another. Fuel efficiency: I get around 35kmpl, never got lower than 30kmpl even when I rode in heavy traffic condition. This is a carbureted motorcycle so adjusting the air-fuel ratio should help.
Ride safe.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th October 2017 at 12:49. Reason: typo
Old 11th December 2017, 20:57   #52
BHPian

4th service:

4th free service was done last month at around 7400km. The service experience was good & I paid a nominal ~₹110 as this service includes no scheduled oil change. No issues here as the bike was performing very well both before & after the service.

PUNE INDORE UJJAIN & Back

This ride happened before the 4th free service. As mentioned in the past I didn't ride much in the last 5 months due to the rains, November showed some sunshine which boosted my confidence to ride far with the RTR. The RTR 200 performed beautifully on this ride (even on the bad roads). It was a 3 day ride:
Day 1: Pune to Indore (600+km)
Day 2: Some work in Indore. Ride to Ujjain & back (~110km)
Day 3: Indore to Pune with some work on the way (~700km)
The fuel efficiency hovered in between 35-38kmpl (have changed the sparkplug to twin electrode one). On straight highways the Apache 200 cruises effortlessly in between 80-100kmph. The engine is comfortable at 110kmph but windblast is a problem at these speeds & I don't feel confident to cruise at triple digits on our highways. Route taken was Pune-Nagar-Shirdi-Malegaon-Shendwa-Indore, present road conditions are good except for the Shirdi to Malegaon stretch which has a lots patched up sections & potholes.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-1513005770367.jpg
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-1513005837763.jpg
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-1513005869847.jpg

Some time before this ride I changed my air filter. Unlike the foam type air filter on the Apache 160/180, the Apache 200 has got a viscous paper type air filter which cannot be cleaned & has to be replaced. TVS recommends air filter replacement at every 12000km but our environmental conditions made my filter clogged with dirt at some 6000km. Air filter replacement process is showed in this video:

Last edited by Sportztourer : 11th December 2017 at 21:01.
Sportztourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 17:23   #53
BHPian

Thanks a lot Sportztourer for the awesome review. My encounter with RTR200 has been rather dramatic.

I previously owned RE Classic 500. I was not too happy with it mostly due to vibrations, quality issues and most importantly the service quality. Also, due to chrome parts, maintaining and cleaning the bike was also a big issue. I finally sold it off last month and was looking for a decent substitute. My priorities however had changed. My main requirement was commuting and occasional touring. I finally happened to book a Himalayan even though I knew my usage wouldn't justify owing one. I had always liked the bike but it looked very intimidating (I'm 5"4"). But one test ride of it and I was floored. It was very easy to handle and ride was very comfortable.

However, slowly doubts started creeping in whether I made the right decision considering my previous experience with RE. Also, the price tag was pretty high - 2.06 lakhs on road. Buying an off roader and using it largely for daily commuting is a stupid idea in first place. And moreover, my office has a very cramped parking area which makes me scared to get Himalayan there. So I had to buy a second low cost bike for office commuting. All this didn't make any sense.

So I started looking again for a 160-250cc commuter that would double as an occasional tourer. None really touched my heart like the Himalayan. Also, being a cruiser owner, I was dead against aggressive stance sports bikes. So my choice was rather limited.

Meanwhile, one of my friends bought Suzuki Gixxer and he left it with me for the running in as he was positioned 250+ kms away. He didn't want to take his new bike for such a long ride. I was absolutely floored by the smoothness of the engine. I now own an Avenger Street which is crap in front of it. After riding Gixxer, everyday of the Avenger was a torture to me. I also slowly started liking the aggressive stance of Gixxer (not it's seats though). It was lot more inviting than the laid back stance of Avenger.

Getting comfortable with the slight aggressive stance of Gixxer, I now started looking out for FZ and Duke. FZ's engine was amazing but the power was not enough for me. Once I reached 70, the engine looked little stressed. I wanted to take a test ride of FZ-25 but decided against as the overall ambiance of Yamaha dealer at my place wasn't too reassuring. It looked like they would close any time.

The next day I went for a test ride of Duke 200. They didn't have 200 but offered me 250. Duke had a rather more aggressive stance which didn't go too well with me. Also, I really couldn't justify the price tag for a 200cc bike - 1.80 lakhs on road. The bike didn't impress me much though and I was a bit disappointed that I have run out of choices.

Apart from Avenger, I own TVS Jupiter. I previously owned TVS Victor too. My experience with TVS had been rather good. I'm very happy with Jupiter and their service is very good. I wanted a TVS vehicle but their Apache line-up didn't appeal to me previously mainly because of the aggressive stance and also the target audience for Apache looked more of youngsters with racing instincts.

As I was heading back after the Duke test ride a thought came to my mind to just check Apache series. Reluctantly I decided to head to the TVS showroom. There I saw the Apache 200 which I had never seen on road till now (or probably I never noticed it)! It looked very impressive and loaded. The stance was perfect. I immediately asked for a test ride. 30 seconds into the ride and I knew this was it! Decent power, superb exhaust note and amazing suspension. I was absolutely floored by the suspension. No bike I had ridden till now (other than Himalayan) had such beautiful suspension.

After the test ride, I asked for the price. The dealer said - 1.13 lakhs on road. I was dumbstruck. Immediately I booked one! I wanted Glossy white but there was no stock and so I was told of 2 weeks waiting time.

Next day again I went for a test ride with my better half. She was happy too, saying the bad roads didn't bother much. The Gixxer nearly broke her back after which she wasn't too keen on hopping on a sports bike!

I'm really surprised that there aren't too many of this beautiful gem on road. Now eagerly waiting for the day I'll own one I know FI and ABS is on the cards but I really don't feel the need for them as I have ridden bikes for close to 20 years and it's just about understanding how your bike handles and learning to apply brakes properly.

Last edited by vprao : 12th December 2017 at 17:40. Reason: Spelling
vprao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 21:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprao View Post
I'm really surprised that there aren't too many of this beautiful gem on road. Now eagerly waiting for the day I'll own one I know FI and ABS is on the cards but I really don't feel the need for them as I have ridden bikes for close to 20 years and it's just about understanding how your bike handles and learning to apply brakes properly.
Congrats on booking the 200.

Blame TVS for the lack of visibility of these bikes on road. If they delivered enough numbers, more 200s would be visible on the road.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 21:23   #55
BHPian

So updates on the RTR 200 are pending from sometime now, actually the motorcycle is running well & I had nothing substantial to add to this thread but now I have compiled some of my experiences from last few months which are worth mentioning.

Got a new visor:
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-visor.jpg
TVS service center had the visor for RTR 200 in stock, so I purchased & installed it by myself at home. I am sure with its small size it won't help much in improving the aerodynamics of the motorcycle but in asthetics it definitely hides the bald look & shields the speedometer console from dust & dirt during riding.

Front fork oil seal:
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-fork.jpg
At around 9000km on the odo & a day or two before the my scheduled Rajasthan ride the front fork oil seal (left one) gave up. I was upset as I didn't expect the oil seal to bust this early. I never faced this on my RTR 180 (I use to overhaul the forks every 15000-20000km). Anyways I postponed the ride, Got the new oil seal & fork oil from the service center & the next weekend afternoons were spend in removing & cleaning the forks (all the parts). Fresh fork oil was poured & with the new oil seal installed everything was back to perfect.

Rajasthan ride
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-rtr-dominar.jpg
My friend who rides the Dominar 400 wanted to join with me for this ride so both the motorcycles did this 2000+km of ride.
The ride plan:
Day 1: Navi Mumbai to Ahemedabad
Day 2: Ahemedabad to Mount Abu.
Day 3: Mount Abu to Udaipur.
Day 4: Udaipur & around.
Day 5: Udaipur to Gandhinagar (visited Akshardham).
Day 6: Gandhinagar to Navi Mumbai.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-rajasthan2.jpg
Both the motorcycles performed effortlessly on the highway & gave some terrific fuel efficiency numbers. I switched to Motul 300V 10w40 before this ride & as many riders here on this forum say even my experience has been really good with this oil. I checked the air filter after this ride & it seemed to be good for an another 1000-2000km. Overall satisfied with my motorcycle.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-end.jpg

Here is the visor installation video, might help riders if they want to install one.
Sportztourer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:28   #56
BHPian

All this while I was satisfied with the headlight performance of my RTR 200 (have done a comparison in the initial posts of this same thread).
Last weekend I got to spend some time with the new Apache RR 310, it's a sweet motorcycle & I really loved it. Coming to the headlights I was curious to check out the new Bi LEDs on the RR & compare it with the 55W halogen on my RTR 200 (better than comparing the acceleration & fuel efficiency ).
Here is the result

P.S: Before any one says let me clear it that the beam is perfectly adjusted on the RTR 200, lowering it further compromises on the throw distance which makes highway night riding difficult. With this setting it almost matches the throw distance of RR 310.

Last edited by Sportztourer : 27th April 2018 at 11:33.
Sportztourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All this while I was satisfied with the headlight performance of my RTR 200 (have done a comparison in the initial posts of this same thread).
Last weekend I got to spend some time with the new Apache RR 310, it's a sweet motorcycle & I really loved it. Coming to the headlights I was curious to check out the new Bi LEDs on the RR & compare it with the 55W halogen on my RTR 200 (better than comparing the acceleration & fuel efficiency ).
Here is the result
Very good comparison video there Sportztourer . Thanks for sharing I guess you must have ridden the Apache RR 310 as well. What were your initial impressions?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 00:05   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Very good comparison video there Sportztourer . Thanks for sharing I guess you must have ridden the Apache RR 310 as well. What were your initial impressions?
Thanks AutoIndian 😊
Loved the performance, the riding posture isn't as aggressive as I expected & I think I can manage to tour on this beauty. Seats are similar to my RTR 200 which is a good thing. Acceleration will make you smile but the engine is a bit rough. I did felt vibrations (lower than the D390) & this is not the run in vibration, I know this well as I had similar vibrations on my 180 (way more in amplitude). These vibrations are inherit in high capacity single cylinder engines & they don't effect your riding much. The motorcycle is a beauty & turns head where ever you go & I must say TVS has tuned the engine, fueling & gearbox very well to make the ride engaging. To tell you the truth the night after the ride I was thinking if I should plan for it & how will I manage 3+ vehicles
Are you planning for one?
Sportztourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks AutoIndian 😊
Loved the performance, the riding posture isn't as aggressive as I expected & I think I can manage to tour on this beauty. Seats are similar to my RTR 200 which is a good thing. Acceleration will make you smile but the engine is a bit rough. I did felt vibrations (lower than the D390) & this is not the run in vibration, I know this well as I had similar vibrations on my 180 (way more in amplitude). These vibrations are inherit in high capacity single cylinder engines & they don't effect your riding much. The motorcycle is a beauty & turns head where ever you go & I must say TVS has tuned the engine, fueling & gearbox very well to make the ride engaging. To tell you the truth the night after the ride I was thinking if I should plan for it & how will I manage 3+ vehicles
Are you planning for one?
Thank you for your feedback Sportztourer on the Apache RR 310. Yes, I have a couple of bikes in sight. However I am more inclined towards naked than fared ones. Currently the Yamaha FZ-25 is on the top of my list, however the absence of ABS is this Yamaha is holding me back. Haven't ridden one yet as I am in no hurry.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 14:48   #60
BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 200 4V: SLIPPER CLUTCH INSTALLED

APACHE RTR 200 MODIFICATION: SLIPPER CLUTCH INSTALLED

The thread is getting updated after a long time but this time its a big update. The Race edition Apache RTR 200 did bring some welcome mechanical update i.e the slipper clutch. Even after regularly riding the Dominar 400 I never felt the slipper clutch was something essential which I desperately need on my RTR 200 (which I feel for the ABS), having said that I always appreciated the way slipper clutch aids the rider. Long story short I decided to go for it and one rainy July sunday afternoon was dedicated for the clutch upgrade. I have earlier replaced clutch plates for my friend's 180 so this job hardly took an hour (which also included engine oil and oil filter replacement).
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-img_20180814_122315128_hdr201.jpeg

Post slipper clutch upgrade I have done around 350km (Monsoon!) and for now I feel the upgrade is definitely worth the time and money. The clutch has become super light, infact I can go ahead and say it's one of the lightest clutch I have ever experienced on a motorcycle. The slipper clutch is doing its job very well (you can see in the video). It's too early to comment more on the upgrade, will ride for some more km and come back with a detailed experience.
The Slipper clutch is direct fit on the version 1 RTR 200 and I have documented the whole installation process along with the slipper clutch in action which you should not miss in this video:
Sportztourer is offline   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks