Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 21:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 KTM 390 Duke, 250 Duke and 200 Duke launched in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
So what are you saying, Sell the versys and get the new duke? Coz I will need to spend that much on the versys anyway. Fricking chain sprocket kit cost 15 grand. Unbelievable.
Please don't take my advice seriously, I am just having some fun (admittedly at your expense)

But to clarify, I meant that if you were to spend 2 lakh on a 390, it (the 390) would still have some residual value whenever you would sell that off (the 390) as opposed to the 2 lakh you would spend on consumables and (extra) fuel (in comparison to the 390) on the Versys

You know your situation best mate but ya, the 390 will be (always was) cheaper to run than the Versys without really hampering the fun factor IMO. If anything, it might take it up a notch
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 22:37   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
You know your situation best mate but ya, the 390 will be (always was) cheaper to run than the Versys without really hampering the fun factor IMO. If anything, it might take it up a notch
He needs to decide the purpose first.

Both are entirely different machines and a direct comparison just can't be made. Both can be more fun given various situations, but yes - there is absolutely no beating the value quotient of the built-in-India Duke 390.

Even I'm tempted to add one to my garage, but thankfully the finances wont allow. Versys for grown up riding and long free weekends - the 390 doesn't come anywhere close in terms of mile munching abilities. And the Duke for some madness and breakfast fun - where Duke will leave you grinning ear to ear, whereas the Versys guy would be wondering why the ride ended before it even started.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st March 2017 at 22:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:02   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
He needs to decide the purpose first.
Having moved to a tier 2 city (mysore) recently, I'm facing the heat relating to service (forget spares).

This is probably the most important consideration at the moment.

I am also using the versys as a do-it-all bike, commuting in the city as well - and I am wondering if I should just restrict the versys to tour and get something else for work so that I reduce consumable costs for the versys over the medium term. This "commute requirement" is what got me interested in the new duke.

Ofcourse, I am delaying things by telling myself that this could finally force me into DIY'ing the bike, but who am I kidding?

Ofcourse spare prices are a sticking point too. 3 sets of brake pads set you back by 9k, a new chain sprocket kit costs you 15k. Downsized tyres cost you 9k, stock size tyres cost you 25k. These are just consumables. If you voraciously tour, there's penalty for sure. Every 6 months you'll be running through a set of these 3 components at the very least (@ 20k kms) totalling 50 grand for 20k kms = 2.5 rs per km.

The way I look at it these are some of the options running through my head:

1. if I sell the versys now, I will lose about 1.5 lakhs on the sticker price. Then buy the new duke for use for the next 2 years until the KTM ADV shows up.

2. Retain the Versys, and tour the heck out of it for the next 2 years (30k per year) until the KTM ADV shows up. Get myself either a "used" duke 390 or a damn Activa.

Unfortunately, apart from consumables, I have no way of knowing what the ownership costs of the versys will be like post warranty.

I know, having bought an expensive motorbike, I should have budgeted these things out. It's only now I realize that touring with this bike in India like how the americans or europeans do is a very expensive affair. Unfortunately, I went completely heart into this purchase. However, this is a great experience in owning a mid-tier superbike in India. You dont figure things out by looking at maths and accounting. Sometimes, an actual living experience is important.

I do intend to take a TD of the new duke 390 to get a first hand impression myself.

I am not sure if my loud thinking is right for this thread, but I am beginning to see that the new 390 is making a very very strong case for itself. If the vibes have been dampened further (unfortunately the duke 250 fails here according to PD), then we'll have a very interesting outlook.

EDIT: I think this post belongs on your other thread - 15 things to ponder on for superbike ownership.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd March 2017 at 12:12.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:18   #64
BHPian

^ Redliner, would not suggest you to sell your Versys. It's a great touring bike which can satisfy your performance needs as well.

Trust me, Duke 390 will be fun but after going back from your current steed, you'll sooner or later feel the need for more power.

Duke 390, though powerful for it's price is still an entry level bike. You can buy the Duke 390 as a fun, commuter bike but like I said, don't sell the Versys.

My recommendation would be to get a preowned 390 for 1.5 lakhs.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 2nd March 2017 at 12:23.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 19:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are entirely different machines and a direct comparison just can't be made. Both can be more fun given various situations, but yes - there is absolutely no beating the value quotient of the built-in-India Duke 390
The bikes may be different but comparison is automatic when one brings in the environment in which it is to be used. In Ramana's case; he is using the bike for commuting as well as weekend fun. Very apt that he weighs the pros and cons for all available motorcycles for that purpose

I am in a similar, yet a much cheaper boat. I have really taken to off roading and the Duke is quite a handful there; mostly on account of the power it delivers; combined with my lowly skill level. And while I have been using it for 3 years / 35K kms now primarily for my daily commute (with some touring, occasional track days and now also weekend off roading); I must acknowledge that its a bit of an overkill for our traffic situation

I am actually considering buying a used impulse for off road and split commuting duties between the two bikes. Quick maths based on my running tells me that I will actually recover the (assumed) cost of the used impulse within a year or so on fuel and consumables alone (compared to the 390)

I have eaten through 50% of the tread on my dual purpose vee rubber tyres on the 390 in 2500 kms, chain set typically requires replacement every 16 - 17k kms, fuel mileage in the low 20s. If I were to include the cost of an impending crash (kind of inevitable when learning to ride off road a bit "enthusiastically") then the situation looks bleaker. As I found out post crashing rather hard on a friend's Impulse (god bless him), this thing takes a hit pretty well and I don't have to worry about those expensive forks, a stray stone punching a hole in the radiator or the pretty Aluminium swingarm on the 390

So ya, I can totally relate to his pondering

Quote:
This is probably the most important consideration at the moment
Agreed! Brutalier's suggestion is pretty good. At least in Delhi, the prices on used Dukes are abysmally low. A fellow member recently sold his pristine 2013 Duke, 25K genuine kms, no falls / dings / scratches whatsoever, with a brand new Vee Rubber rear tyre & a spare rear tyre (Michelin pilot street) for a measly 1.1 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Duke 390, though powerful for it's price is still an entry level bike. You can buy the Duke 390 as a fun, commuter bike but like I said, don't sell the Versys
Per you - 390 is an entry level bike? As in a complete noob will get on it and be comfortable as opposed to feeling overwhelmed with the power on tap?
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:30   #66
BHPian

Have the bikes arrived for display in Bangalore ? I am interested in booking the Duke 390, But I have got to see it first.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:41   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The bikes may be different but comparison is automatic when one brings in the environment in which it is to be used.
True. That was my post too!

Quote:
I am wondering if I should just restrict the versys to tour and get something else for work so that I reduce consumable costs for the versys over the medium term.
Along with the costs (which you have already mentioned), another good thing about the Duke 390 would be the ease of use, specially parking in public places. Versys gives me a scare even in the confines of my IT park campus. Can't imagine leaving it unattended on the roadside.

Whereas the Duke can be used for commuting as well as fun. I would surely have considered having both these motorcycles in my garage, if I could afford.

Quote:
I think this post belongs on your other thread - 15 things to ponder on for superbike ownership.

Please do post it there once you take a decision. Would surely help others at some point.
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post

Have the bikes arrived for display in Bangalore ?
I had been to the KTM showroom (Langford road) to cancel my D250 booking, and I was informed that:

2017 Duke 390 launch is happening on the 4th of March at Rasta Cafe

Not sure what time the event starts, but surely it is happening this weekend.

For the ones who have no clue on this place, below is the google map location:

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...53!4d77.331499
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:21   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I had been to the KTM showroom (Langford road) to cancel my D250 booking
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
2017 Duke 390 launch is happening on the 4th of March at Rasta Cafe
Yes. Saw an online invite earlier in the week. Good location, as Rasta Cafe is rather popular with bikers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why?
Actually bro, I have just posted the reason and all the sequence of actions I tool after this decision here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4156626
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:03   #71
BHPian

[QUOTE 2017 Duke 390 launch is happening on the 4th of March at Rasta Cafe

Not sure what time the event starts, but surely it is happening this weekend.

[/quote]

so is it only the 390 launch is taking place at rasta, or other two as well ? are the 200 and 250 on display, in all the showrooms ?

Last edited by chetan : 3rd March 2017 at 12:05.
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post

so is it only the 390 launch is taking place at rasta, or other two as well ? are the 200 and 250 on display, in all the showrooms ?
Hey chetan the D250 and 2017 D200 have been on display at KTM Langford Road showroom for a week now.

The 2017 KTM D390 launch is the showstopper at this event, and I am very sure that the D250 and 2017 D200 will also be on display there.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 19:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

The D250:- the gearbox same as/ derived from the D200 or the D390?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th March 2017, 11:30   #74
BHPian

Here's the video clip doing rounds for the Bangalore launch event of Duke 390 at Rasta Cafe

For the main event, please look beyond 8:15 of the clip.
Old 5th March 2017, 13:32   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Holy crap there is a battery voltage indicator on board lol! This little baby kicks so much fanny, its not even funny.

Now if all these improvements find their way into the new 390 adv... Oh my lord.

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th March 2017 at 13:38.

Most Viewed