Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 21:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rajiv Bajaj - Among the best orators in the Indian automotive industry

Thank you!! I thoroughly enjoyed the video. His talk is seasoned with a tinge of pragmatism and a lot of humor.

A quote from his talk-
Quote:
We all buy what other people buy. We don't have the guts & wisdom to make such a reasoned and wise choice.
+1.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 23:59   #17
BHPian

I think Bikers in India owe a bit to Rajiv Bajaj - he was the one person who believed in the Bajaj Pulsar despite objections from his father and reservations by McKinsey (who were advising Bajaj in the matter).

No one believed that there was a performance market big enough in India to be dedicating an entire R&D to it. But Rajiv Bajaj went ahead anyway and launched not one but two Pulsars - the Pulsar 150 and the Pulsar 180!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2017 at 09:59. Reason: Typo
nishsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:07   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm starting to become a big fan of this guy. In a different way, this thread has the potential to be filled with quotes like this one.

Quote:
When Ash, the master of ceremonies, asked Rajiv Bajaj, the Business Standard CEO of the Year, to say a few words after receiving the award from Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, the man of the moment seized it with a quick repartee, saying he'd utter "more than a few words".

"Brevity is not a family strength," Bajaj said, an obvious reference to father and patriarch Rahul Bajaj, who loves to air elaborate views on all things under the sun. The audience, comprising a Who's Who of India Inc, responded with huge applause.
Source & MUST-READ article. Seriously, read all THREE pages.

And in case you've missed the famous Rahul Bajaj interview, here it is:

Quote:
Rajiv Bajaj’s swagger is unmistakable. Dressed in track pants and a white T-shirt, the tall, broadshouldered Bajaj leads us into his bedroom for the photo shoot. At first glance, it could pass off as any Spartan middle class home in India. He lays open a yoga mat, begins his warm-up in practiced rhythm, and easily slips into one pose after other — standing, sitting, bending forward and backward. Mid-way through his routine, we tell him that his adhomukhaswanasana or the dog-like pose is almost perfect. Bajaj doesn’t lose a moment to retort even as he is stretches his limbs to the maximum: “That’s because you work like a dog at Bajaj Auto.”
Source & Full Article
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

In this dull & colourless group of elite individuals, Rajiv Bajaj comes across as a breath of fresh air. Man, he stands out! His intelligence & wit are so obvious in the way he speaks. I hope I'm lucky enough to someday hear him deliver these remarkable speeches in person.

Thanks for the videos.

This is the first time I heard him speak, and he is quite engaging and impressive. Doesn't talk like a typical CEO and sounds extremely connected to his business and operations.

For people who are deriding his business decisions (scooters, 100c bikes) - this chap changed the Indian motorcycling scene offering affordable, decent performance and stylish products when other vendors weren't offering anything new.
Yes, he chose to ignore the scooter market. What's wrong with that, focus is good, esp when one is a small and zero R&D player fighting against biggies.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:05   #20

Yes !! His oratory skills are definitely good. But his satire towards many topics was a way to vent his anger towards the current Government who has harmed the family business in two ways :
1. Demonetisation
2. No approval for RE60 (QUTE)

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2017 at 16:33. Reason: Typo
shahkartik24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From the business POV, it doesn't matter if an automotive CEO really 'knows how to drive' either, or if he really 'knows his cars'.

Yet, both certainly help.

I think that strong public speaking skills are a great asset for any leader. Ever seen the charismatic Lee Iacocca in action? Legend has it that his personality single-handedly sold 30% of Chryslers at one time .
Honestly, I do like interacting with Mr Bajaj and it's almost always fun to listen him during product presentations/introductions. However, there have been instances when he has been pretty rude to some journos. True, some of the old hats, especially from newspapers, can be a bit rude themselves, but it doesn't reflect good on someone like Mr Bajaj to make fun/insult(?) someone at a public gathering.

And on a slightly different note, I like the enthusiasm with which Mr Ravi Avalur, MD, Ducati India addresses the gatherings at Ducati India event.

Regards

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd March 2017 at 15:52. Reason: Merging consecutive posts :)
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:14   #22
BHPian

Thank you for posting the video. Before we get carried away with the bouquets and brickbats - the thread heading rightly mentions 'among the best orators in the indian automotive industry'. I guess that is probably right, as this cohort is pretty small anyways.

While he speaks well and delivers his message across very articulately, he does come across as someone who is biased, slightly arrogant and who has an axe to grind with certain issues like demonitization and such like. Regarding his business acumen and long term outlook- he may have made a miscalculation with stopping the scooter business, no two ways about that.
But, hey, no one is perfect and success is not about never making mistakes, but picking oneself up and bouncing back after a mistake is made and playing to one's strengths, which I guess he has done.
It is good to listen to any good talk, although his talk was not too impressive and lacked in depth of content, it made for a good listen all the same.

I am of course comparing him with a lot of TED talks that I have had a chance to listen to, which is probably not a fair comparison.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 18:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good Orator but I don't agree with his Sachin and Tennis analogy when somebody asked him about ditching the scooter market overall. If you look at the very first patent of the scooter, the definition reads "Enclosed Motorcycle".

So while you cannot play cricket with a tennis bat and vice versa, you can convert a scooter to a motorcycle and vice versa.
The Navi is one local example. The NC700, NC700X, NM Vultus and the Integra scooter are all the same.

More and more manufacturers are entering the scooter market. Even KTM are looking at the E-speed concept. Aprilia are already here. What is he waiting for? The market is huge and its anybody's game to grab the market share that ultimately counts towards the two wheeler sales pie chart.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 18:50   #24
BHPian

I believe its only Bajaj which, if it wants to, can bring out an Aprilia rivaling scooter at a very competitive price. Just look at the Dominar pricing with all the bells and whistles.
rajivr1612 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 22:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see these videos. Gotta appreciate what this guy must've gone through to push for the Pulsar twins to be brought out into the market!

Another point to respect - this person seems to be the ONLY industrialist who has openly spoken out against the dumb idea that was demonitisation. Even most people on this forum were waxing eloquent and falling/bending over backwards to support the dumb idea, this guy had the guts to call the idea for what it was - stupidity!
naveenroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 09:09   #26
BHPian

On the scooter idea:
1. Companies can choose to be a revenue leader or a profit leader. Bajaj makes more profit than any other Indian auto company, except Maruti. http://www.moneycontrol.com/stocks/m...bse/index.html. This profit and focus are driving his global ambitions.

2. Good "communication skills" always help, for everyone. Personally, I am a fan because his speeches show courage and clarity of thought.

Yes, I have invested in Bajaj stocks too
shobhit.shri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Being humble is always good. Rajiv shares his blunder in terms of product positioning in this news article.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 15:55   #28
BANNED

Over-regulation is killing the auto industry: Rajiv Bajaj.
Quote:
New Delhi: Over-regulation is killing the Indian auto industry, says Bajaj Auto Managing Director Rajiv Bajaj. At the launch of the new Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, he clearly points out that the pressure put by the government is creating tough situations for the Indian Auto Inc.

With the BS-VI emission norms set to be implemented across the country from 1st April this year, Rajiv Bajaj has snubbed that will this make any difference. "The government should have removed the BS-IV vehicles systematically," he said.
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...bajaj/73247989
Old 5th June 2020, 11:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Lockdown in India is draconian, flattened the wrong curve: Rajiv Bajaj

Quote:
“It has flattened the wrong curve - not the infection curve, but the GDP curve,” he pointed, while adding that it has left the country with the worst of both the worlds.

Bajaj further added that this kind of a lockdown has not happened anywhere in the world- to physically constrain yourself to your home and see absolutely no one.
Source
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks