Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 13:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield line-up updated with BSIV engine & AHO

Royal Enfield has reportedly updated its complete range of motorcycles with BSIV compliant engines and Auto Headlamp On (AHO) feature. The company is yet to reveal an official statement about the same.

This update is in line with the government's norms that make it mandatory for all two-wheelers on sale in the country to be BSIV compliant and equipped with AHO feature. Deadline for two-wheeler manufacturers to update their bikes for the new norms is April 1, 2017.

Reports suggest that production of the updated RE models has already commenced. Royal Enfield dealerships across the country are currently accepting bookings for the new BSIV compliant motorcycles, with deliveries expected to start from next month, i.e., April 2017. Post this update, prices of the complete RE range have reportedly been increased by Rs. 4,000.

Source: Car and Bike

Royal Enfield line-up updated with BSIV engine & AHO-classic350_rightside_white_600x463_motorcycle.png
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 13:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield line-up updated with BSIV engine & AHO

And after all the hype as to why the Himalayan had a carb, now little above a year they had to go the EFI way!

They could have may as well launched with the EFI straight away and instead added the ABS down the line.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 15:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
And after all the hype as to why the Himalayan had a carb, now little above a year they had to go the EFI way!

They could have may as well launched with the EFI straight away and instead added the ABS down the line.
Are you sure the EFI version of Himalayan is coming to India market next month?
I though those were for UK/export markets only.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 22:17   #4
BHPian

I had booked C350 on February 01, 2017 and the company brand store's manager informed me that all the bikes will be delivered with BSIV compliant engines.

He also informed me that for sometime at the Oragadam plant the production was halted to ensure that non BS IV compliant vehicles are not being produced. In a written reply to my email, he had informed that my bike shall be getting allotted tomorrow and delivery shall happen within the next 5 days.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2017 at 09:40. Reason: Typo
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 23:26   #5
BHPian

Can someone point me to details of upcoming regulations, in case compiled at any singular place
. Features like AHO being implemented in India amazes me!
Old 15th March 2017, 07:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Are you sure the EFI version of Himalayan is coming to India market next month?
I though those were for UK/export markets only.
I got this piece of information from a showroom manager. I remember him saying a bigger catalytic converter and efi for the Std 500 . Maybe I heard it as Efi for the Himalayan as well. Anyway we will know in few weeks.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 09:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Auto Headlamp On (AHO) feature
Slightly Off Topic: As most 2-wheelers will have AHO, does headlamp switch off automatically while cranking engine so that it's less current drain on battery? Most cars cut-off headlamp current supply while cranking engine, I hope most 2-wheeler manufacturers have followed the same.
Not sure if this has been answered in any other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Can someone point me to details of upcoming regulations, in case compiled at any singular place
It's primarily compliance to BSIV emission norms from 1st Apr 2017 along with AHO.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 22:28   #8
BHPian

Today I received call from RE showroom and they requested me to make the full payment. Post implementation of BS IV compliant engines and AHO feature, the price of the vehicle has been jacked up by Rs 5000 and my new OTR is Rs 1,52,564 which I paid through IMPS.

To check on the features of new emission compliant engine, I called the showroom manager and he informed that the engine is tweaked to release less CO2 and some work has been done on the coil piloting the headlamp to ensure heating issues are kept at bay due to continuous running of headlamp all day.

For registration I provided them with 5 color PP photographs and a copy of Passport. When, I enquired on the recent news reports that PAN and Aadhar is mandatory for registration of new vehicles in the state of TN, they simply asked me to provide my PAN number and Aadhar number.

The vehicle should get delivered to me within 20th of this month.
Old 16th March 2017, 01:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

This update is in line with the government's norms that make it mandatory for all two-wheelers on sale in the country to be BSIV compliant and equipped with AHO feature. Deadline for two-wheeler manufacturers to update their bikes for the new norms is April 1, 2017.

Post this update, prices of the complete RE range have reportedly been increased by Rs. 4,000.
RE is making hay while the sun shines.
They know that their bikes are selling well, and in the name of BS4 compatibility, they have again simply increased the price of their already overpriced models.

They are well aware that people who buy bullets are not looking for value for money, or any highly advanced features.

It's simply an emotional or aspirational reason that drives many towards this brand.

RE is just exploiting that emotional weakness, without even giving the basic features that can be found on even 100 cc bikes which costs just one-third of a bullet!

Who else would sell a bike for 1.5 Lakh Rs in this age, with no fuel guage and no tachometer!

In 2004 when I bought a pulsar 150 DTSi, it costed around 60k , and my friends's RE electra bought around the same time was nearly 68k.

RE's price has become more than double now, whereas a 150 pulsar is still in the 80k-85k category only.

What is the justification for this insane price difference? I have often wondered.
Agreed that periodic price increase will occur, but that happens to other brands too.
No other brand has doubled its price in just 10 years like RE.
Self-start, disc brakes and all, were introduced by every other manufacturer too, but none of them found it a reason for such insane price hikes.

Atleast with this price hike, they could have offered a fuel-gauge as standard across all its models.
Is it that much difficult for RE to give a basic fuel gauge?

Or is it because "luxuries" such as fuel-gauge and tachometer will spoil the original essence of the legendary bullet?
I don't think it will spoil the unique bullet "feel" even half as much as the left-right swap of the gear& brake levers did to the legendary model.

They have already stripped off most of its unique & interesting features like the gear-brake side mismatch, Decompression lever for starting, the small neutral finder lever etc, and made it just like any other normal bike.

Then why should they hold back a simple fuel-gauge or tachometer now?

People are expecting ABS from RE, when they have not even decided when to give fuel gauges as standard!

RE needs to wake up and give the customer what his money is worth.
They can't expect to exploit this emotional aspect forever.
Even much bigger brands have fallen from grace, because of such indifference and taking the customers for-granted.
So the current high-ride won't last forever unless they make changes in their strategies.

Already, every second guy has a bullet, and it is fast losing it's uniqueness and distinct appeal.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 02:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Slightly Off Topic: As most 2-wheelers will have AHO, does headlamp switch off automatically while cranking engine so that it's less current drain on battery? Most cars cut-off headlamp current supply while cranking engine, I hope most 2-wheeler manufacturers have followed the same.
I don't know how they will actually handle the headlight on future Royal Enfields but I can tell you what they did with the models they imported into the United States.

As you all know, up to now, all Royal Enfields have a switch on the right handlebar/handgrip area. It can turn all of the lights off or turn on the parking lights and turn on the headlight.

For many years, the Department of Transportation (DOT) in the US has required ALL motorcycles made or imported into the US must have their headlights on whenever the engine is running.

To solve this problem, Royal Enfield inserted a special, short length of wiring which bypasses the headlight switch. It plugs into the wiring harness inside the headlight casquette.

As it is only a bundle of wiring that totally bypasses the switch, it does not turn off or reduce the power going to the headlight when the engine is starting.

This has been done for at least 10 years and to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't caused a problem in starting the engine. At least, it hasn't been a a problem for the people who have kept their battery charged.
Those people who did not keep their battery fully charged have had problems starting the engine with the electric starter but many of them did need to resort to the kick starter to get their engine running.

Many of us older riders ( I think someone here called me a dinosaur? ) like the idea that they can turn their headlight off when they are starting the engine so, they have removed the short wiring bypass and simply plugged the remaining ends of the harness together to reactivate the switch.

I might add, the DOT controls what can be imported but each individual State controls what the laws in that State are. Many States (including mine) do not require the headlight to be on during the daytime.
I usually, but not always ride with my headlight on.

Getting back to what Royal Enfield is going to do about the headlight during starting, with the headlight switch totally removed it would be nice if they installed a small electromagnetic switch that would turn it off during cranking but, based on their approach to the problem in the US, they will simply remove the switch and keep the light on at all times including during starting. :(
ArizonaJim is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 16:47   #11
BHPian

I got my RE C350 (BS IV) delivered by the Adyar Brand Store at Chennai on March 24, 2017. Since, the bike is BS IV compliant, it is devoid of headlamp switch and the rear number plate had a remoavable sticker confirming that the vehicle is BS IV make. Once the ignition key is turned in ON position, the headlights gets switched on. RE also provided a half face black color helmet to me. The SA told me that the helmet is offered free to me and the MRP on the box was of Rs 1800.

Total OTR paid by me is Rs 1,52,674.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield line-up updated with BSIV engine & AHO-img_20170324_194948.jpg  

MDED is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 22:22   #12
BHPian

With the AHO feature, considering the charging system of the Royal Enfields, riders who keep their rpms low (read sedate riders) are going to get frequent battery failures. It would be a good time to invest in a good battery tender.

IMHO Royal Enfield should have (if the laws permit) installed LED running lights which turn on with ignition and leave the head light system unchanged. That way it is a win win situation with the safety feature installed and the battery power conserved.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 17:24   #13
BANNED

I just checked Res website. All 350CC REs & Std 500 are still running on carburetor and they have achieved BS-IV compliance.

May any Bhpian can tell the difference between BS-III and BS-IV REs?
IN-RJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 19:23   #14
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield line-up updated with BSIV engine & AHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
I got my RE C350 (BS IV) delivered by the Adyar Brand Store at Chennai on March 24, 2017.
Is your motorcycle carbureted or FI?

Last edited by aah78 : 30th March 2017 at 23:40. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 30th March 2017, 20:12   #15
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield line-up updated with BSIV engine & AHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
Is your motorcycle carbureted or FI?
Carburetted. The FI model is available in 500 cc and will be available in Himalayan in future.

Most Viewed