Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 17:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Karnataka proposes increasing tax on bikes costing over a lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayar640 View Post
I booked a new bike just last week and I am expecting delivery mid April. So, will the revised tax apply to me?
If the bike is invoiced post-application of the new tax rates, then yes. You will pay the then prevailing rates such that the OTR (On-the-Road) price will be higher than today's. The new rates will come into effect starting 1st April, 2017.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 15:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question to the informed. I booked a new bike just last week and I am expecting delivery mid April. So, will the revised tax apply to me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
If the bike is invoiced post-application of the new tax rates, then yes. You will pay the then prevailing rates such that the OTR (On-the-Road) price will be higher than today's. The new rates will come into effect starting 1st April, 2017.
The rate prevailing on the day of payment of tax will be applicable, irrespective of when the bike has been invoiced.

Its implementation from 01/04/2017 is subject to a notification being issued by the competent authority. I doubt whether the Government will be able to do it before the budget is passed.

And to the best of my knowledge, the budget has only been presented, not passed. Hence, akshayar640 may very well end up paying only 12%.
Old 18th March 2017, 16:55   #18
BHPian

I was wanting to wait for the triumph bobber but now may rush to get a bonne before the deadline as even street twin price going up by nearly 50 to 60 k
gautam99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 18:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
I was wanting to wait for the triumph bobber but now may rush to get a bonne before the deadline as even street twin price going up by nearly 50 to 60 k
Thats a live example on how Government regulations affect our automobile experiences. Have a look at this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-good-bad.html (Government regulations on the automobile sector - Good or Bad?)
Old 20th March 2017, 07:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The rate prevailing on the day of payment of tax will be applicable, irrespective of when the bike has been invoiced.
Would there be a difference ? I mean don't we invoice the vehicle & immediately send it out for RTO registration so that the delivery can done (unless of course the customer want's to take up the hassle of registration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Its implementation from 01/04/2017 is subject to a notification being issued by the competent authority. I doubt whether the Government will be able to do it before the budget is passed.

And to the best of my knowledge, the budget has only been presented, not passed. Hence, akshayar640 may very well end up paying only 12%.
You're absolutely right, dailydriver but I'm yet to see/read any objection against this move by the Government. If it's red-tape & governments inability to enforce this, then that's a different story but at this point in time, nothings really inhibiting them. I would be happy to see Akshay save up those extra 6% in terms of tax.
tabrez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 09:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would there be a difference ? I mean don't we invoice the vehicle & immediately send it out for RTO registration so that the delivery can done (unless of course the customer want's to take up the hassle of registration).
There will be a difference in case one wants to do what you have said in parenthesis.

Quote:
You're absolutely right, dailydriver but I'm yet to see/read any objection against this move by the Government. If it's red-tape & governments inability to enforce this, then that's a different story but at this point in time, nothings really inhibiting them. I would be happy to see Akshay save up those extra 6% in terms of tax.
I may be completely out of depth here, but my understanding is that an increase in tax rate would have to be done by amending the KMVT Act - (relevant portion appended to my opening post). This will require a proposal to be placed in legislature. Upon being approved, it will then have to get the assent of the Governor. So, time might still be on our side here .
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 10:02   #22

Quote:
I would be happy to see Akshay save up those extra 6% in terms of tax.
Yes indeed, I would be saving somewhere between 13-14k.

Also, I would like to update this group that I visited the showroom on Saturday and they said that my bike might get delivered by the end of this week. But the bike being the new Duke 390, the showroom is yet to get the RTO approval, which they are hoping to get sorted by 25th of March. But then, no one is really sure. I just have to wait and hope for the best I guess.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I would like to update this group that I visited the showroom on Saturday and they said that my bike might get delivered by the end of this week.
Let me be the first to congratulate you & be prepared to be annoyed by a slew of questions from my side on the Duke 390. I'm not aware of any other bhpian making the booking. So Akshay, your ownership thread would be eagerly awaited.

Between I might be going OT, but if you could kindly reveal details such as Bangalore OTR (On-the-road, alongside the split) & the showroom you're buying from on the other thread dedicated to MY'17 Duke 390, that would really help a whole bunch prospective 390-buyers stationed here in Bangalore.

Last edited by tabrez : 20th March 2017 at 10:58. Reason: correcting some statements
Old 20th March 2017, 11:24   #24

Quote:
Let me be the first to congratulate you & be prepared to be annoyed by a slew of questions from my side on the Duke 390. I'm not aware of any other bhpian making the booking.
Thank you so much. I would love to answer all the questions from the members of this forum regarding my experience. I was thinking of creating a thread once I get the delivery of the bike so that I can add a bunch of photos as well . But, if you insist, I can create a thread now to share my experiences so far.
Old 1st April 2017, 13:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Any latest updates on this front? Is the increased road tax applicable from today onward?
Old 1st April 2017, 13:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any latest updates on this front? Is the increased road tax applicable from today onward?
Yes, looks like it.
http://m.deccanherald.com/index.php?...t.html&secid=8
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 14:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
And look at the roads we get in return Blatant shamelessness!!
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It was announced during the budget. But the bill has not been passed in the houses yet I suppose.

The cap on movie ticket pricing has still not been implemented yet..

It might not be right to collect the additional tax..

Unable to view the DH article now. Has it been removed?

Last edited by anilupadhya : 2nd April 2017 at 11:35.
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:38   #29

Showrooms have increased the on-road price. The increase in tax has been implemented.
Old 2nd April 2017, 18:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Showrooms have increased the on-road price. The increase in tax has been implemented.
Check the tax receipt issued by the RTO and see if the increased amount matches the same.

Dealer may say increased tax, but pocket the difference too. They're known for it.
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks