Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 16:14   #1

TVS Apache 200 vs Bajaj Dominar vs Enfield Himalayan

Hey everyone!

I am planning on buying a new vehicle and I am confused between the TVS Apache RTR 200 4v, The Bajaj Dominar and the RE Himalayan. I am very fond of long rides but haven't done any so far. I plan to do it in the future on a regular basis, like at least once a month. I know these three bikes are from totally different classes but, that is was is creating a confusion for me.

Please give me your feedbacks, if you own any of these bikes.
Shreyas95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 18:31   #2
BHPian

re: TVS Apache 200 vs Bajaj Dominar vs Enfield Himalayan

If you are looking at highway cruisers, then you might check Apache or the Dominar. If you need something with higher ground clearance and off road capabilities, you can check the Himalayan.

Both bikes are available for rent. Why dont you rent it for a day or two and see for yourself.
girimajiananth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 18:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Himalayan doesn't get Tubeless tyres. if long rides are in the mind, then one must be aware of that
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since you are planning for long rides, I would suggest anything with ABS. Currently, only Dominar is equipped with ABS from your shortlisted bikes.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas95 View Post
Hey everyone!

I am planning on buying a new vehicle and I am confused between the TVS Apache RTR 200 4v, The Bajaj Dominar and the RE Himalayan. I am very fond of long rides but haven't done any so far. I plan to do it in the future on a regular basis, like at least once a month. I know these three bikes are from totally different classes but, that is was is creating a confusion for me.

Do you have any motorcycle currently? If so I would suggest you take it or maybe rent one for a day and take it for a longer ride. It will give you a perspective of what exactly is important to you.

Purely on basis of your options, the Himalayan wins in ride comfort if you are a sedate rider. But for everything else (including safety), the Dominar is a better bike.
timuseravan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The Himalayan doesn't get Tubeless tyres. if long rides are in the mind, then one must be aware of that
Does it really matter that much? I mean I have not been on rides more than 100Km so far. So educate me regarding this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Do you have any motorcycle currently? If so I would suggest you take it or maybe rent one for a day and take it for a longer ride. It will give you a perspective of what exactly is important to you.

Purely on basis of your options, the Himalayan wins in ride comfort if you are a sedate rider. But for everything else (including safety), the Dominar is a better bike.
I own a Suzuki GS150R 2010 model. I did take the Dominar for a test ride, I am little tall, so I kind of felt uncomfortable with the seating posture. I felt that it might lead to a lot of uncomfortable-ness during long rides.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th April 2017 at 20:34.
Shreyas95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Here are my views:

Apache RTR - Great bike but more of a city runner. Tiny stance but no fairing for touring.

Himalayan - Great tourer, now with the Fuel Injection the bike has become more worthy of the touring with off-roading fancy. Radical design though, task oriented.

Dominar - Jack of all, decent looks (read - decent not hooligan) hence allures all ages of riders, suited to both city as well as touring, lacks the windshield for touring though but class act from Bajaj. Affordable !
The Great is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 21:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Any reason why you have not included the Fz25 in the contention?

Anyways here is my humble opinion.

Himalayan: Stay away from it, for now.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4169724

Dominar: Fast, but, a bit heavy & cumbersome in city. Excellent on the open roads.

Apache 200: A bit down on acceleration compared to D400/Fz25. But, an excellent handler, and an overall VFM package.

Fz25: Excellent all rounder, light weight, great performance, super stable handling & stellar refinement.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 21:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Any reason why you have not included the Fz25 in the contention?....
I did not consider it yet. Thanks for bringing it up. Totally neglected that bike
Shreyas95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 01:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'd say stay away from the Himalayan even though it is a superb bike because I've recently read a lot of horror stories about the product.

As for the RTR200 and FZ25, they are both great products with the RTR200 posing more VFM but if highway cruising and long rides are on your agenda I wouldn't bother since the lack of a 6th gear at highspeeds will be quite annoying.

Having considered the RTR and FZ, check out the NS200 it is more comfortable on long rides since the footpegs are not as high and rearset as the other two and even though that effects sheer lean angles you can carry at the same time the perimeter frame and top heavy construction lend it a sweet feeling when tackling corners or just switching lanes and the 6th gear really does help

Cannot speak much about the Dominar since I haven't ridden it myself but the Additional torque, abs, lower seat and power-cruiser like posture should make it a competent highway cruiser.

Even though the price difference is high, do also check out the Mahindra Mojo. It has a sweet engine that not only sounds good but feels a lot more refined too and comes with diablo rosso 2 tyres to my knowledge which are extremely competent. The only thing going against it is its handling characteristics but if you're not much of a corner carver, that should not affect you as it is an absolutely brilliant and comfy bike overall.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th April 2017 at 01:39.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 02:53   #11
BHPian

Hey Shreyas as you said that you own a Suzuki GS150R already, now based on that, you have 4 considerations now -

1. TVS Apache RTR 200 4v - I would recommend you that you drop this bike from the list. Not that this is not a good machine, but since you are riding 150cc already you wont find much difference. Though TVS Apache RTR 200 is a modern bike with good touring capabilities and a great mile munching machine. I personally like this machine.

2. The RE Himalayan - Well I am sorry to say but The Himalayan is not up to the mark, specially after getting so many issue from the owner. And you own Suzuki GS150R 2010 model, which is a very reliable machine. So I am sure you would not want to get into this machine.Its reliability factor is in big question, which also happens to be the main factor for touring.

3. The Bajaj Dominar - Well I have never been a Bajaj fan, but after feedback from some of the best riders I have met, this motorcycle from Bajaj stable just shows that Bajaj has grown up with KTM. This machine is a great mile muncher , good fuel economy, latest technology, very stable, user friendly. Try to take another test ride and see what was the issue with your height. And above all its economical as well.

4. The Yamaha FZ250 - One of the machines which is not yet seen much on the roads. But as per the history of Yamaha, the reliability and durability factor comes with the name. Also Yamaha makes lot of abuse friendly machines. The engine which they are using have been in the international market for a long time, so no point in questioning their reliability. A slick design, latest technology, good mile munching capability, good fuel economy, and a dream to ride machine with capability of munching miles on triple digits throughout the day.

Conclusion - I would say you should go for either Bajaj Dominar or the Yamaha FZ250. Take test ride of both, take your time and prioritize your requirement and then take a decision. All the Best!
Shivanshu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 08:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it really matter that much? I mean I have not been on rides more than 100Km so far. So educate me regarding this aspect..
Two I can give

1. Safety- In case of a puncture at High speeds, Tubeless tyres won't lose pressure suddenly

2. Inconvenience- India case of a tubed tyre there is no option but to immediately search for puncture repair right away

Of course chances of the above happening could be less but then one never knows.. especially when on a long trip or riding alone.

Royal Enfield's do not come with Tubeless but still selld thousands every month in India. In the end it's a personal call.

I would not feel very secure if I knew if my bike had tubes

Last edited by payeng : 6th April 2017 at 08:06.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
I would not feel very secure if I knew if my bike had tubes
+1 to that! I have an old RE TB and both times I've traversed the Leh-Manali route, I've been praying HARD that I didn't get a flat. I carry the tools to remove the tyre, tube and to fix the dam thing, but doing all that towards the end of a hard days' ride, on a dusty, rocky path, at an altitude and in the cold would be a nightmare! On last year's ride to Leh, stopped to help at least 4 Bulls who had had flats and even with 2-3 of us helping, it was an experience better avoided.

My next bike is going to have tubeless tyres for sure! Btw, which bikes sold in India come with that option from the manufacturer? Not talking about the 3L+ bikes and superbikes, but the others. I guess one could fit mag wheels and then go for tubeless tyres on any bike, but it would be good to know. Thanks.
am1m is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Fz25: Excellent all rounder, light weight, great performance, super stable handling & stellar refinement.
+1
Yamaha FZ25 offers refined EFI BS IV engine with Yamaha's reliability. The vehicle is breeze to ride in city and on open roads as well. The pricing is also reasonable and you can zero in on this bike. Low end grunt is superb and you get tubeless radials.
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

While considering FZ25 over other products do keep in mind that bike many not be as good at corners as Dominar or Apache, haven't seen anyone in the reviews taking corners at good lean-angle, I might be wrong though.

Does handling matter for touring, a definite yes! If you plan for places with very rough roads it many not matter much, but roads are better these days with decent corners, so do choose good handling machine.

Advance wishes for your next ride buddy
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks