Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 21:15   #76
BANNED

Re: Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Your enthusiasm is truly infectious, can't deny that.

Wish you and your friend a lot more epic rides to come.
Thank you for the kind words!

Lets hope better times are in store for us, fingers crossed!
Old 30th January 2019, 00:46   #77
BANNED

So she's at the 29,000 km's mark now after an errand run to Madurai and back.

And this time I had the company of my friends Splendor Plus, though you've heard me speak wonders about the Splendor it is definitely not suited for the highways in spite of its better motorcycle feel, its square stroke mill which is its advantage has an Achilles heel, and that's its top end, when the CT100B keeps gaining speed on its own the Splendor consistently maintains its stand at 70 Kmph when ridden 2 up.

But then the CT100B ain't no winner as with a sizable pillion the front end starts to lift off the ground when accelerating hard, an issue I wasn't aware of as I predominantly ride solo.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00122.jpg

The lack of side panels is quite evident as even with regular fiddling the saddle bag tends to droop down to one side. On the return leg we enforced the saddlebag with bungee chords and that setup held well.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00111.jpg

Not sure whether its the underweight motorcycle or the overweight me, either way I'm still Single, hence decided to let potential interests know by snapping a picture at Singilipatti.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00172.jpg

Overall the ride was a relief, I also did manage to get my friend hooked into the low displacement lifestyle and we're in talks about riding to a Mystical Temple in Kozhikode the following month, fingers crossed!

After the ride and 200 km's over my usual change interval of 2k km's I went for a bottle of Castrol Activ 20W50 which I'd procured for Rs.320/-(MRP. 345/-, bought at the discounted price from Ex-Jawan's Oil Shop, Trivandrum), though not as rev-friendly as the more expensive Castrol Power 1, the Activ did hold its own when it came to smoothness, if the performance holds good until the next oil change then I'll go for a bulk order to avail even better discounts.

So off I run into the paddy fields!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00146.jpg

Until next time folks.

Cheers, A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 11:23   #78
BHPian

Hey man, I've booked a CT100 KS Spoke yesterday. I've bought it to be used as a delivery bike for my business and it would travel about 70-100kms max a day, 6 days a week. I know its pretty much bullet-proof, but what would you suggest I should be careful about? Also, what is the real world mileage that I can expect?

I went with the KS only because it was available with the dealer, but I must say, it is a lot of bike for the money! I paid the downpayment only with the cash I had in my wallet
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 21:31   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Hey man, I've booked a CT100 KS Spoke yesterday. I've bought it to be used as a delivery bike for my business and it would travel about 70-100kms max a day, 6 days a week. I know its pretty much bullet-proof, but what would you suggest I should be careful about? Also, what is the real world mileage that I can expect?
Congratulations!

Just make sure to change consumables religiously and never let anyone fiddle with the state of tune and it will run for a really long time without breaking a sweat.

One un-commuterish aspect of the CT100 is that it hates to be lugged, but that is expected due to its short-stroke configuration.

I've never really calculated the FE of the motorcycle, though on comparing costs after the QG run we estimated that she returns around 65 Kmpl IIRC which was with the throttle wide open for 99% of the ride.

But personally I'd suggest you keep expectations low as the lack of low end oomph would result in lower FE when used within city limits.

Which again is not a reason to fret as in the long-run the CT100B is the cheapest motorcycle to own and run considering consumable pricing.

Quote:
I went with the KS only because it was available with the dealer, but I must say, it is a lot of bike for the money! I paid the downpayment only with the cash I had in my wallet
That's actually a good choice, unfortunately my friend had to go with the Alloy option as that was the only one they had in stock at the time of his purchase.
Old 14th May 2019, 13:25   #80
BANNED

It seems I'd missed to post the 30,000 km's update on TeamBhp, so here goes;

Motorcycle crossed over the 30k milestone a while ago, before her 2nd Birthday that would be up in a few months;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20190221_203058.jpg

Replaced the Airfilter, Sparkplug and Fuel line which cost an accumulated Rs.180/-

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20190222_092030.jpg

A lot of intra-city commuting is why I guess the reading looks rich, anyhow I'm against messing with the carburetor without good cause, so that's that.

Almost all my spokes were loose so had got both my rims trued today, cost Rs. 350/- for both rims, if memory is right this is the highest 'Service' charge incurred for the motorcycle to date due to my lack of hardware and knowledge about truing rim's.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20190223_123316.jpg

First time I'm taking both wheels off at the same time, thought I'd face issues but was surprised when things turned out better than expected, motorcycle rested on the chain guard and exhaust without any issues while I'd take the rims to get trued.

And I'd about 500 km's ago scrapped the Snorkel, motorcycle is louder which is what was expected as going unnoticed when overtaking and having to honk like crazy to not be side-swiped was wearing me down quite a bit.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1941.jpg

I get the feeling that my forks would go out soon, not that they're leaking but I'm getting one of those gut feelings, luckily I had sourced consumables a long time back including fork nut holder, so I'm going to let them run their course and replace at the first sign of seepage.

Now, coming back to current affairs, the motorcycle hadn't run much and is at a meager 30.5k on the odo as I had been riding the P220 for a bit which included an interstate run to Bangalore and back on newly installed MRF Masseter's.

But I got around finally fixing the kill-switch in the most non-intrusive way possible, without splicing anything.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20190513wa0044.jpg

DIY Here: Engine-Kill-Switch for Motorcycles (Engine-Kill switch for Motorcycles)

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:43   #81
BHPian

Hi ashwin
Thanks for sharing this ownership experience. Keep writing to educate people like me.
I have read this ownership experience several times now and its quite getting me interested to know more about lower cc bikes and its advantages in terms of cost and maintenance.
Now having seen your travelogue and looking at specifications, you didn't mind to have tubeless tyres? I believe having tubeless tyres are higher degree of comfort. One thing that stops me thinking to take my thunderbird for longer tours is this.
Also, i see that ct100b and ct 100 ks alloy are 99.2 cc and es is 102cc. If my understanding is correct the 99.2cc was the one which probably got inception from kawasaki and the 102 is something that bajaj did for platina, discover, etc. My question is why bajaj chose to have only kickstart for 99cc variants ? I am noob in mech and i assume this has nothing to do with cc. Asking all these to get myself clarified as i like to get lower cc bikes very soon.
Old 16th May 2019, 13:52   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Hi ashwin
Thanks for sharing this ownership experience. Keep writing to educate people like me.
I have read this ownership experience several times now and its quite getting me interested to know more about lower cc bikes and its advantages in terms of cost and maintenance.
Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Now having seen your travelogue and looking at specifications, you didn't mind to have tubeless tyres? I believe having tubeless tyres are higher degree of comfort. One thing that stops me thinking to take my thunderbird for longer tours is this.
We could have this conversation for hours and yet not arrive at one solid conclusion, there are certain discussions when it comes to motorcycles that can go on for ages, FI vs Carb's is another example, so is Cleaning vs Lubing Chain, so lets leave it at that.

The basic logic remains that you should choose a setup suited for the terrain and intensity at which which you intend to use the motorcycle, hence for me its Spokes and Tubes, as for punctures I carry a pair of spare tubes and tire spoons with me on long-rides, as for otherwise, I simply ride at a crawl's pace until I spot the nearest tire repair shop.

Quote:
Also, i see that ct100b and ct 100 ks alloy are 99.2 cc and es is 102cc. If my understanding is correct the 99.2cc was the one which probably got inception from kawasaki and the 102 is something that bajaj did for platina, discover, etc. My question is why bajaj chose to have only kickstart for 99cc variants ? I am noob in mech and i assume this has nothing to do with cc. Asking all these to get myself clarified as i like to get lower cc bikes very soon.
Different engines, the KS model has the 99.xx cc engine which was from Kawasaki, they've only made minor material changes to it keeping the original design more or less intact.

The 102cc motor is a newer unit from Bajaj, I might be wrong but I'm yet to recall a KS only variant of the same engine, as even on my earlier Discover 100 which sported a different iteration of this new engine, came in only ES variant.

The rest I guess is management decisions.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 00:04   #83

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_8551.jpg

My 2016 CT100B with some mods for touring.
DaddyAnish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 07:11   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyAnish View Post

My 2016 CT100B with some mods for touring.
Kudos!

Do share a detailed write-up and some pictures of the mods done.

Also do share costs, I've had my eye on an alternate fuel tank for a while now.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:14   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Kudos!

Do share a detailed write-up and some pictures of the mods done.

Also do share costs, I've had my eye on an alternate fuel tank for a while now.

Cheers,
A.P.
Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_8646.jpg

Starting from the back

Aftermarket tail light from Karol Bagh
Luggage rack from a commuter bicycle (Welded on to the frame)
Jerry can holder made to fit a 2.5 lt. motul can (I guess its unnecessary for a bike with good fuel efficiency)
Rear tyre Ralco Gripper
Pulsar 150 shocks
Small battery operated tail light (In case the main one fails)
3M Reflective stickers everywhere
Aftermarket exhaust (Pretty loud)
K&N type air filter (Didn't see much difference in performance)
Custom made bend pipe with Heat shield (Still burn't my pants couple of times)
Stock kick lever chopped and bent to fit (Stock one would hit the pipe)
High density foam seat with perforated seat cover
Tank is from old model Boxer (Cost Rs 2000) Its thicker than current model
Front mudguard from Rx100 (Direct fit)
Front tyre Timsun TS 800
Headlight from TVS XL
Aftermarket headlight brackets
Switch gear is from CT100ES to allow adjustable cables
Runs without battery
Everything else is stock (More or less)
Don't remember the exact costs but nothing too expensive.

Last edited by DaddyAnish : 21st May 2019 at 10:38. Reason: More details
DaddyAnish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 11:03   #86

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_8408.jpg

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_8540.jpg

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_8437.jpg

I forgot to mention the engine bash plate at the bottom.
DaddyAnish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 21:29   #87
BANNED

Cool Mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyAnish View Post
Small battery operated tail light (In case the main one fails)
Do contemplate adding indicators, unless you're not intending to take the motorcycle on the highways.

Quote:
Aftermarket exhaust (Pretty loud)
K&N type air filter (Didn't see much difference in performance)
Custom made bend pipe with Heat shield (Still burn't my pants couple of times)
Exhaust looks cool, just hope its tuned right, because if you run a lean mix for long on these machines that'd be at their peaks most of the time the engine life would drastically go down. Same goes for evacuation cause if heat remains at the exhaust port then your exhaust valve would die prematurely.

Also ensure it doesn't burn your leg in a fall.

As for the intake, personally I'd stick with the stock filer any day because I'm strictly against these re-usable filters, the pore size goes up after every clean cycle and you eventually bust your valve seats.

Quote:
Tank is from old model Boxer (Cost Rs 2000) Its thicker than current model
I believe the tank capacity is the same, I'm contemplating a tank with increased capacity. The RD350 tank has 16L capacity though I'm not sure about availability of new spares.

Though the motorcycle has 10.5L capacity, when riding hard it doesn't take me as far as I'd hope it would.

Quote:
Front mudguard from Rx100 (Direct fit)
Thank you for that, would contemplate going for them if the stock plastic one goes for a toss, I'm fan of economic options, and presuming RX100 spares are non-oem I expect they'd be cheaper than the stock mudguard.

Quote:
Headlight from TVS XL
A friend has this setup on his FZ16, he says the output is better and more focused in spite of the smaller beam, do share your thoughts.

Quote:
Aftermarket headlight brackets
The quality of the brackets seems commendable, do share a link or more details of the same if possible.

Quote:
Switch gear is from CT100ES to allow adjustable cables
Please share more details on this with pictures and cost, also do the connectors match?

I'd really love to scrap the current switch gear.

Also, the engine guard is a nice add-on, I'm heavy and every time I land hard I worry about the drain bolt getting hit.

Do share more details about its construction, and how you managed to mount it.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:40   #88

Quote:

Also, the engine guard is a nice add-on, I'm heavy and every time I land hard I worry about the drain bolt getting hit.

Do share more details about its construction, and how you managed to mount it.

Cheers,
A.P.
I stuck a sheet of paper (using fevistik) at the bottom tubes and made a stencil as required. Then transferred it to stainless steel sheet using the stencil. Cut out the plate.

Fixed it on a vice and bent it using a hammer (The bend is where the tube gets narrower)

Drilled 4 holes. (Make sure they are in line with the tubes). Put bolts through the bottom side. Tightened them with nuts from the other side.

Lifted the bike up, Held the plate at the right place and welded up the nuts to the frame. (Use small bolts so that they don't touch the frame)

You can tilt the bike instead of lifting it but remove the petrol tank so it doesn't leak during welding.
DaddyAnish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:24   #89

Quote:
Cool Mods!

Do contemplate adding indicators, unless you're not intending to take the motorcycle on the highways.

Exhaust looks cool, just hope its tuned right, because if you run a lean mix for long on these machines that'd be at their peaks most of the time the engine life would drastically go down. Same goes for evacuation cause if heat remains at the exhaust port then your exhaust valve would die prematurely.

Also ensure it doesn't burn your leg in a fall.

As for the intake, personally I'd stick with the stock filer any day because I'm strictly against these re-usable filters, the pore size goes up after every clean cycle and you eventually bust your valve seats.

I believe the tank capacity is the same, I'm contemplating a tank with increased capacity. The RD350 tank has 16L capacity though I'm not sure about availability of new spares.

Though the motorcycle has 10.5L capacity, when riding hard it doesn't take me as far as I'd hope it would.

Thank you for that, would contemplate going for them if the stock plastic one goes for a toss, I'm fan of economic options, and presuming RX100 spares are non-oem I expect they'd be cheaper than the stock mudguard.

A friend has this setup on his FZ16, he says the output is better and more focused in spite of the smaller beam, do share your thoughts.

The quality of the brackets seems commendable, do share a link or more details of the same if possible.

Please share more details on this with pictures and cost, also do the connectors match?

I'd really love to scrap the current switch gear.
I won't take it on the highway. The bike is strictly for the mountains. Where I feel the power is just sufficient. I tend to go crazy with bikes and use it to its full capacity.

The whole intake and exhaust setup is just an experiment. It is completely reversible to stock. I just wanted to make it as light as possible and high swept because of so many water crossings we have up here.

I do need a bigger heat shield for now.

The old boxer tank is also a direct fit. And its width is perfect for standing up on the footpegs and gripping the tank while off-roading.

I went for a non-oem mudguard but it rusted very quickly so now I have a genuine one which i took out from my '89 rx 100.

Yes the TVS headlights have a focused beam. You can also try the rx headlights which are of same diameter. I don't know which one to recommend because I hardly ride at night.

The brackets are decent quality aluminium and costed just Rs 100. They are available in black or silver at Karol Bagh bike market. They come with nuts and bolts. I can get you a pair.

The switch gear is mostly the same as ct100b but the small difference is that it has screw type connectors for the clutch and brake cables.
I unintentionally bought them when I had to replace the old set and have been using them ever since.
DaddyAnish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:01   #90
BANNED

Hey guys!

I know its been a while, after the last ride I had taken the CT100B on a few spirited off-road trails and as a result something felt amiss, I was under the assumption that the handlebar might've got bent under the force of hard landings and decided to change them and opted for the ones from the TVS XL as the switchgear holes were perfectly aligned.

But they were a bit taller than I'd hoped and I ended up with a desi ape-hangar setup(can be seen in the below picture behind the P220), it was fun for a bit but I switched to the P220 for a bit as she'd be completing her 5th year of ownership and she had quite a bit to go before crossing 50k on the odo, I have a mental block where if I don't cover at least 10k km's per year on every motorcycle I own I'd start loosing it!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0019.jpg

Anyhow had some fun with the P220 and also did manage to go on a weekend interstate run;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00237.jpg

All in all, I was happy but yet something was amiss, hence the lackluster smile!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00248.jpg

So the previous weekend I decided to have a closer look at the CT100B, so had the handlebar and holders off the motorcycle and that is when I'd noticed that during the hard landing I'd managed to disintegrate what was left of the already abused cushions, such that even the supporting metal shims were bent.

The design is such that the handlebar holders do not have direct contact with the T Plate, they sit into the rubber cushions that are fixed on the T Plate. With the cushions disintegrated and it being a Sunday I had no choice but to come up with a Jugaad, so after sourcing a few metal shims from the nearby store this is what I ended up with.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0054.jpg

Without the cushions the handlebar would tend to be vibey at interstate speeds so I decided to steal the bar ends from my P220 and used it along with a spare brand new Discover 150F handlebar I had laying around for quite some time now and this was the result;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0055.jpg

There is a slight misalignment with respect to lever height as I managed to screw up when it came to drilling guide holes for the switch gear, and since on my variant of the CT100B the switchgear and lever yokes are a single piece you'd notice the ever so slight variation if you're looking for faults while riding the motorcycle.

Since I'd returned to Trivandrum after the weekend I'd noticed that it was time to change the oil, so went with Shell Rimula R4 a second time;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0052.jpg

Even though a HDEO this oil has been working wonders on both the P220 and CT100B, though for the sake of principle I'd suggest everyone else stick to their respective Owners Manual's.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0053.jpg

Also I'd changed my regular drain interval from 2k to 1.5k km's and I'm planning to stick to it as the frequency of riding has gone down quite a bit recently, plus Rimula is cheap and I'm a fan of more frequent oil changes.

And I wasn't kidding about the low riding, as in the first year of ownership I clocked 20k km's where as now shes past her second birthday and clocked only another 12k km's so far.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0056.jpg

Conditions are not favorable but if all goes well I hope to outrun the P220's odo figure!

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 19th August 2019 at 12:04.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed