Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2006, 09:29   #61
kph
BHPian

I’ve happened to come across a writeup on influence of Enfield Bullet and success in life by Mr. Tharikh which I found very interesting.
Have a look at a couple of lines from that…
I’m of the opinion that owning, caring and riding a Bullet makes a person more responsible, powerful and rich in spirit. And once you have the spirit – Life is an easy ride.
Well it is a debatable topic, but I have found that those who are passionate about their Bullets are a class apart and a Bullet helps them through their personality to be successful in life.

With his permission I am referring the link to the blog here.
http://bikerbt.blogspot.com/
Old 14th November 2006, 11:16   #62
BHPian

Hmm...

Well said ram...

Damn.. Where's my hanky...

As I say it's like a woman in your life. She nurtures you, makes you feel responsible and teaches you manners. You learn to respect her and take care of her. I wonder if it's anyway connected to bulleteers always being with women and not girls..., hmm...

If people say, ' you tend to stop for a bulleteer because tomorrow they'll stop for you'. Ok, i'm still close to humanity, atleast I don't laugh off and zip away. It's a clan, brotherhood...

There are bikes with superb engines and then there are bikes with a soul - The Bullet and The Harley...
Old 14th November 2006, 11:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph
I’m of the opinion that owning, caring and riding a Bullet makes a person more responsible, powerful and rich in spirit. And once you have the spirit – Life is an easy ride.
Well it is a debatable topic, but I have found that those who are passionate about their Bullets are a class apart and a Bullet helps them through their personality to be successful in life.
kph - you belong to the consulting world. What are you doing back in India?
Old 14th November 2006, 11:59   #64
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
kph - you belong to the consulting world. What are you doing back in India?
Steeroid, no assumptions please..
I'm a good listener.
Go through the words in my previous post carefully..
"......... happened to come across a writeup...........which I found very interesting..."

This is not an article by me, Just sharing someone's views with you. Thats all.
Old 14th November 2006, 15:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdudesamy
There are bikes with superb engines and then there are bikes with a soul - The Bullet and The Harley...
WOW...thats soon gonna be my signature
Old 25th November 2006, 17:34   #66
BHPian

FYI...
My kids are gonna be named :

If she's a Girl - Enfield Kaur
If he's a Boy - Bullet Singh

Decided that around 3 yrs ago after the Ladakh Trip.
Old 27th November 2006, 11:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

@zzzehar, appreciate your love for your steed. But was that kid naming thing serious ? I hope not, because the kid might not find it that interesting. Also, might lead to him/her being subjected to teasing. Though finally it is your call.

There's a couple in Kerala that named their kids after planets. One of them being named Uranus. Imagine what that guy would have gone thru in school.
Old 27th November 2006, 12:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There's a couple in Kerala that named their kids after planets. One of them being named Uranus. Imagine what that guy would have gone thru in school.

THats nothing - I had a classmate in college called Rouble. His elder brother was Dollar and his younger brother was Yuan.

Obviously his dad was in love with foreign money.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:10   #69
BHPian

anybody met a guy named "RECORD BREAKER". well i have, hails from bihar & his dad proudly introced him to us (while we were taking interviews) that his son has broken all the records of his village, hence was named so.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha...Funny nomenclatures !! which am comng across for the first time...

Abhi
Old 8th December 2006, 16:44   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
THats nothing - I had a classmate in college called Rouble. His elder brother was Dollar and his younger brother was Yuan.

Obviously his dad was in love with foreign money.
Dude ! where are you from?!

My neighbor's children had the exact same names
Old 9th December 2006, 14:43   #72

Why a Bullet, bucause its not just a Bike, its much more

Why a Bullet

This article is picked from the Re website rider stories, Might explain why guys like me still ride the Bullet Inspite of all the negatives that naysayers can shoot at it,,,....

What’s bigger than the Bullet? - Swami Ashwinananda Friday, November 07, 2003

Seemingly innocent question, teenaged boy on a bicycle, small dusty village on NH 45. And considering I was on an RE 500, I smiled confidently and replied ‘nothing else in the country’! Little did I know I was being set up to be knocked down. The young chap had been strolling around my bike as I enjoyed the customary ‘chai’ at a local tea shop, his casual air of disinterest thinly concealing the gleam of admiration in his eyes. My answer was met with a disdainful smirk. ‘I saw a foreigner on a Yamaha last week. That was much bigger. He told me they’re going to make it in India. 1200 cc, and it was sooo (he stretched his arms out as far as they would go) big. When I'm old enough, that’s what I’m going to ride’. He gave my bike one last look out of the corner of his eye, then pedaled away nonchalantly on his creaky bicycle. Many kilometers down the road, and alone with my thoughts on the highway, I pondered his question. It was the classic mental pivot. Both ridiculously simplistic and unbelievably deep at the same time.

‘What’s bigger than the Bullet?’

In the old days, people bought a Bullet not because of displacement, size or weight, but for very different reasons. It was the ‘Raja Gadi’. The choice of real men. At least that was the picture Bullet advertising painted then, and a vivid and colourful picture it was, best viewed with the ‘Bullet meri jaan’ jingle playing in your head.

Then about 15 years ago, the Jap Bike wars started. First there were the hundreds, then later the one-tens, the one-fifties, the one-seventy-fives… each claiming to deliver more power and ‘better mileage’, if that’s even possible at the same time, than the other. Buzz boxes abounded, tiddlers screamed manically on every street, and on another road far from where these marketing, R&D and advertising wars were being fought, the Grand Daddy of them all chugged steadily towards the brink of oblivion.

Recently though, there seems to be have been a revival of sorts, at first glance, rather heartening to a die-hard British motorcycle enthusiast like me. It seems as though more people are waking up from their Jap drone-induced stupor, and noticing that there was always a bike that was ‘bigger’ than the plastic clad Jappos available in the country.

Suddenly, one sees many young, macho, iron pumping, testosterone charged, leather clad gentlemen on Bullets. Not just the new-fangled ones, but some even on bikes a tad older than they are. Heartened by this turn of events, I accosted one recently, and asked him why he had chosen to ride a Bullet. My eager curiosity was met by a flat and fake-accented answer. ‘Who wants to buy a 180 cc when there’s a 535 cc available maan. It’s the biggest bike in India!’

I smiled thinly, shook his hand, and walked away thinking to myself ‘maybe the Bullet did manage to stop before it got all the way to oblivion. But it’s probably just standing there teetering at the brink.’

There’s a reason for my pessimism. Viewed from the cubic capacity perspective, the BHP perspective, the wheelbase and weight perspective, the ‘sheer size’ perspective or the advertising budget perspective, there will soon be many, many contenders to the position of Biggest Motorcycle in India. Which means that our testosterone-charged gentleman would buy one of them the moment it shows up on the market (attractively priced I might add). Just as soon, I presume, as he’d use an opportunity to take his shirt off and flex his tattooed muscles.

People today seem to be buying the Bullet for reasons like machismo (pun unintended), attitude, power and freedom. All the wrong reasons if you ask me. Because they’re all easily re-created, duplicated, and maybe even outdone by competition. Just like the 100cc Japs stopped the Bullet in its tracks 15 years ago, we’ll soon have 250, 350 and maybe even 750 and 1200cc Japs shooting the Bullet down again with weapons like cubic capacity, cruiser styling, fatter tyres, more chrome, and more jeans-leather-and-scantily-clad-women advertising --- all of which are in vogue now.

So what is it that will keep the Bullet competitive through the waves of onslaught from bikes that cater to the changing fancies of fickle Indian motorcyclists? What does the Bullet have going for it that no other manufacturer can hope to match no matter how much money he spends on research, development, space-age materials and nubile models?

I think the answer can be summed up in one word. Character.

To me, the Bullet stands for simplicity. A design that worked well not because it changed to incorporate every new discovery at NASA, but because the folks that designed it 50 years ago got everything right the first time. And then didn’t try to fix things that weren’t broke. It’s a bike that has built a reputation for being reliable, simple to work with, comfortable to be with, and lasts a whole lifetime… which is definitely a whole lifetime longer than the Japs, who outdate their throwaway models before one has even paid the second EMI. The most interesting thing is that over the years, this unglamorous but truly solid reputation has rubbed off on people that ride the Bullet too. The result, when one looks closely, is a bond between an individual and his Bullet, where one is but the mirror of the other.

To some folks like me who’ve wanted a Bullet since we were kids, it was the persona of these people that inspired the choice of a motorcycle more than the intrinsic value of the motorcycle itself. They were simple people, responsible people, strong people (not just in body) and they were people you could trust and rely on. I for one just bought into the quiet pride, solidity and soft spoken yet powerful image of Bullet riders I saw as a child, only to realize much later that these were the qualities of the bike itself.

In this day where people are realizing it’s better to step back from technology and glamour sometimes and fly subsonic rather than supersonic, I hope that people soon learn to appreciate and aspire to own the Bullet for what it is. A piece of machinery that has lived, served, rewarded and stood by its owners long enough to develop a character of its own. A motorcycle that has reached that point in evolution where its value cannot be measured in cubic centimeters, kilometres per hour or pounds per square inch. And a brand that speaks volumes for its owner for a lifetime… always saying just the same old good things.

If I had encountered my cyclist friend on the way back, I would have stopped him on his creaky bicycle and given him the answer I should have given him in the first place.

There’s just one thing that’s bigger than the Bullet. It’s the pride of owning one.

================================================== ================================================== ===
Eliminator will get eliminated by a bigger, faster, Eliminator. A new Terminator will overcome the pulse of the Pulsar. The Shogun will be overshadowed by the Ronin, the RX 135 by the ZXR, and so on. But the Bullet will remain Bullet. For it is not a reality. It is a dream.
Dreams are of many types – pleasant, painful, enjoyable, scary, exciting, new, old and many more. Bullet is all this and much more! It is the closest any bike comes to being all things to all people. Being all things to all people is impossible. A theory. That is what Bullet is. A theory. And people love theories. All people love theories. Especially if they sound so good. And nobody can deny (even my 100 year old grandmother does not deny) that no other bike in the world sounds like Bullet.

Credits for writing this piece : Swami Ashwinananda (from the RE website) & Dilip Bam
Old 26th December 2006, 04:28   #73
BHPian

well, why a bullet for me? my uncle had it,when i was young loved it, would ask for a ride every time he was back in town, my brothers had it, loved it. being the youngest guy in my area i had to play cricket with older guys, who picked on my, all it took to stop that was my brother showing up on a bullet. bullet is all about respect. parking is easier to find and you won't find parking attendant messing with it. only bike worth parking in the car parking lot. other bikes are faster, better and ETC.. but there is only one king of the jungle.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
Why a Bullet

This article is picked from the Re website rider stories, Might explain why guys like me still ride the Bullet Inspite of all the negatives that naysayers can shoot at it,,,...........

............not deny) that no other bike in the world sounds like Bullet.

Credits for writing this piece : Swami Ashwinananda (from the RE website) & Dilip Bam
man. . .this is one of the best written articles... and it is SPOT ON. i mean i am a bullet owner / lover and this just speaks what i have in mind.

kudos to the writer of this piece.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:48   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Eliminator will get eliminated by a bigger, faster, Eliminator. A new Terminator will overcome the pulse of the Pulsar. The Shogun will be overshadowed by the Ronin, the RX 135 by the ZXR, and so on. But the Bullet will remain Bullet.
So he means to say that the Bullet will never improve?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks