Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2006, 18:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

The first motorcycle i ever sat on was a Bullet and that was when i was a small kid and my uncle used to take me around on his black 350, i used to sit not on the seat but on the tank enjoying the scenery around me...and during the night i used to get fascinated by those twin parking lamps, i used love those lamps a lot. That's the reason i dont want to change the casquette on my Bull. Bull has got a charm. My Bull is older than me she's 36years old, going to be 37 soon
Old 28th December 2006, 19:31   #77
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
My Bull is older than me she's 36years old, going to be 37 soon
wonderful...
Photos ???
Old 28th December 2006, 20:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

Will post it after Jan 2nd once i reach banglore. The bike used to belong to Psycho But mind you she doesn't look that old you'll be disappointed if you're expecting a classic style. I've changed the electrics from 6 to 12v, put electra's ac/dc kit, still runs on points though. The mudguards have been changed from the full covering type to the 500 type. The old style offset brake hubs i've retained, i think those look good, i won't change those.
Old 28th December 2006, 20:51   #79
kph
BHPian

I dont have much 'love' for old look.. rather interested to see any bull maintained in good condition with necessary mods.
Quote:
still runs on points though.
change to CDI will be hazzle free.. My experience.

Quote:
The old style offset brake hubs i've retained, i think those look good, i won't change those.
Isnt the operation lousy. Y dont you go for a bigger drum or disk (but expensive )
Today i saw one bike under renovation at the mechanic fitted with two small hubs welded together for better operation.

Last edited by kph : 28th December 2006 at 20:54.
Old 28th December 2006, 20:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

The braking isn't as good as a modern hub agreed, the back is pretty good and there is no difference between the back brake shoes/drums of a new bullet or this one. The back brake will improve when i go for a new sprocket, i won't change. The front is not that bad as you think, but it could be better but i'm not doing anything till i can get enough dough for a disk setup. Twin leading drums are pretty good, but im not prepared to change the current front drum for another drum brake.

Which mech do you go to?

Last edited by Sankar : 28th December 2006 at 20:59. Reason: Which mech do you go to?
Old 30th December 2006, 15:43   #81
BHPian

Hi! I learnt to ride a bike on my bullet which i have used regularly since.. I got a 2004 model Electra 350, my bro is a bullet freak and he got the bike with disc brakes and after power tuning... I got to say its much much powerful than all 150cc's out there and i got a feeling even kaz too is no match for the BOY.. I'm not worried about fuel efficiency, but i am annoyed that the vehicle does not go beyond the 100.. The pace at which reaches 80,90 kmph makes me think it can go at even 110+... I am a fast rider and i have to say i hate the "sedative" thumping referred earlier but my ears are accustomed to the aggressive thumps it gives out when i open the throttle... now thats music!!!!! Have to assure everyone that its not for milkmen etc, i take the bike to college and all my pals admire the bike, its beauty cos its all steel and muscle compared to plastic we otherwise see....
Old 30th December 2006, 17:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Hi! I learnt to ride a bike on my bullet which i have used regularly since.. I got a 2004 model Electra 350, my bro is a bullet freak and he got the bike with disc brakes and after power tuning... I got to say its much much powerful than all 150cc's out there and i got a feeling even kaz too is no match for the BOY.. I'm not worried about fuel efficiency, but i am annoyed that the vehicle does not go beyond the 100.. The pace at which reaches 80,90 kmph makes me think it can go at even 110+... I am a fast rider and i have to say i hate the "sedative" thumping referred earlier but my ears are accustomed to the aggressive thumps it gives out when i open the throttle... now thats music!!!!! Have to assure everyone that its not for milkmen etc, i take the bike to college and all my pals admire the bike, its beauty cos its all steel and muscle compared to plastic we otherwise see....
try to get an A350. Thunderbird has the same engine but think the original A350 are more peppy

@kph; the hubs were welded together for the rear?

I have seen a RE500( under renovation) with 150 tyres and with RE disc at the rear.
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:19   #83
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
@kph; the hubs were welded together for the rear?
I have seen a RE500( under renovation) with 150 tyres and with RE disc at the rear.
The fitment i saw was at the front
Old 7th January 2007, 07:31   #84

GTO,
Sorry for such a delayed reply, Since my post did not appear immediately then after posting I didn't go back to this thread. Now when I see my post is there and your reply as well.

Now to answer your question> So he means to say that the Bullet will never improve?

Would the bullet still be a Bullet that so many of us still love if it changes so much that it loses its inherent character? There were moments when I felt frustrated at my bullet because the cables would snap every few thousand kilometers and even for a simple Bombay - Pune ride I had to carry Spare A , B , C cables in by bag.

But I think we love the bullet so much because it demands so much attention from the rider (of course sometimes it does go overboard). I am mechanically involved with the bike, there is a bond between the rider and the bike. Its not just a fill it shut it forget it bike and I like it the way it is.

In his article he mentions and I quote >

To me, the Bullet stands for simplicity. A design that worked well not because it changed to incorporate every new discovery at NASA, ..... It’s a bike that has built a reputation for being reliable, simple to work with, comfortable to be with, and lasts a whole lifetime…

I cannot put it in better words. And as far as improvements cosmetic and otherwise go, today's bullets are much better than their older models in electrics, control over leaks , paint and almost everything. Finally the company has to respond to the market realities(exp: Left side gear change) at the same while preserving its NICHE. So It would be unreasonable to compare the Bullets with other bikes in terms of technology.

Anyway in my observation Bullets are an objects of passion, Meaning You either love them or you hate them. Whatever it is one has to decide for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So he means to say that the Bullet will never improve?

PS: there was an Old RE poster , that I don't see a lot these days (perhaps a change in the company's mindset???) it showed the audience that the company has in mind for the Bullets. I think this sentence sums it up well. The Ad said in big bold letters some thing to this effect:

If you are not seriously interested in Riding , We are seriously not interested in you.
Old 7th January 2007, 08:02   #85
Team-BHP Support

Why bullet???

Cause nothing else (except the RD350, may be... havent tried RD) can give you such a special feeling riding a bike...

And... The sound... Man! nothing comes close... That sound i would rate better than those of the SBKs... its the music of motorcycling...
Old 11th January 2007, 13:42   #86
Senior - BHPian

Bullets last longer. Seen bullets of 50s , still thumping on road drawing attention. Jap bikes are definitely good and faster. Precision oriented. After my ride in Yezdi 175 cc for over 5 years, I drove Suzuki Samurai for 11 years which was maintenance free and now last month bought bullet 500 cc.

New generation bullets have variants, right brake pedals in 350 cc electra, thunderbird. clutch is smoother, breakes are good, you get disk brake at front wheel, electric starter, et al. There is a knack in kickstarting the bullet. Press the decompressor and push the kicker to half the cycle, bring the up and just push down. There are you are, bullet is on.

One need to have the taste for the bikes and should appreciate the mechanism. I weighed options of Apache, Pulsar, Avenger before finalising on bullet 500 cc.

Other three bikes are sofisticated, fuel efficient, swift, but I rated them as not so comfortable on long drives. May be Apache is different. It offers more comfort on long drives. None of these bikes have cruise.

Bullet and jawa have the cruise at 4th gear. It smoothens at high speed. No screaming engines. Again bullet at high speed is very good on road grip. I am sure everyone here agrees to this.

I am planning to travel to ladakh during this year to take it to Marsmikla, the highest motorable road on earth. Kardung la is second highest motorable road.

It's ones choice when it comes to bikes.

Dwarak
Old 14th January 2007, 13:21   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Hey,

I thought that was the privilege bestowed to Jawa/Yezdi to be official steed of Milkmen....
I thot it was Rajdoot??
'cos those r still used as such in rural areas...
Old 10th July 2007, 14:46   #88
Team-BHP Support

Why a Bullet, ha ha ha

I work so that I earn enough to buy petrol, oil and stuff to keep wifey happy(so she aint screming on the bikes expense).
I come to work, because I get to ride. Its not long enough, just under 15k one way, but keeps me motivated.
I work late at times, cos I get to ride back when traffic is a lil sparse.
I come in to work early so that traffic is not a prob and have the road to myself.
I go shopping for household stuff, cos I get to ride.
I help friends going to the mech, need a lift or anything, cos i get to ride.
see its all about me, my thunderbird is just the best company I ever need.
keep thumping.
before some one says tb's don't thump as well as a std, you need to hear my bike when she is at 50kmph.
and mind you, everything is stock, even the silencer.
Old 11th July 2007, 18:50   #89
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I work so that I earn enough to buy petrol,
Is this what is called "live to ride and ride to live"?
Old 12th July 2007, 12:23   #90
Senior - BHPian

Well,for me its the thump and its stable and heavy and it has huge power than other bikes in india so never lets me down

i once test drove a pulsar(only time in my life when i drove non enfield) i felt as if it will fall and so risky

i drive my Electra once in few months so i need to have the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks