Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 14:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bikers in their forties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyboo View Post
Question.. Any one here in my age bracket (or more) who owns a royal enfield and takes tours.
This thread came to mind : A 13000 km, 72 day ride through India, Nepal and Bhutan
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 14:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am 41 years old and for me motorcycling is a way of life. Except during the time when I am onsite, I've always had a motorcycle, I miss my family and bike the most when I am away from home.
My motorcycling journey began when I turned 13 and managed to lay my hands on a worn out Luna moped. Used it for a few years, then started riding my dads Lambretta scooter. Gosh that thing was horrible. Over the years I've had a Hero Honda CD 100 (that bike did really give over 80 KMPL), Suzuki Shogun (regret selling it till this day), then classic Pulsar 180 which has done clsoe to 2L KMS (still have it) and my daily commuter is now a used 2012 Pulsar NS.

Though I do not tour but I use my bikes extensively to commute (almost 40 kms one way), I should be back in India in the next few months after which I plan to get a 2017 KTM 390, am totally smitten by it and perhaps a used Kawasaki Z800 or Triumph Street Triple for weekend joy rides.

For safety its paramount you invest in good riding gear like helmets, jacket, gloves and boots. Our weather isn't the most kind but I believe a little bit of sweat is better than blood.
Like mentioned by most here, just be careful and have fun. Age is just a number, and 40 is the new 30.

Cheers
Old 21st April 2017, 15:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I am a 1972 born and have always wanted to own a motorcycle, especially a royal enfield.
I own three cars today but call it a long lost love, the desire to own a royal enfield for general short trips has bitten me again.

Question.. Any one here in my age bracket (or more) who owns a royal enfield and takes tours.

Cheers!
Hi beyboo,

If you have not decided to own an Enfield right away then I would suggest you rent one and go for short trips. As you're based out of Mumbai you can try out http://www.enfieldriders.com/
They even organize trips and rent out riding gears. Experience it, meet like minded people and you might have your answer! Rent out different Enfields for different trips, DS-500, Std-500 & Himalayan and then decide yourself.

We are always here to confuse you but it's important for you to decide and harness some dedication to maintain an Enfield. It doesn't tolerate negligence!

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 15:20   #19
BHPian

Motorcycling is actually good when you start growing old! Take a fast motorcycle to the canyons on a Saturday morning and you will know why A motorcycle demands the rider to be fit which is a must at 40! Additionally the adrenaline rush is back & you actually start feeling young! I took a long hiatus from motorcycling at 25 and now back on saddle for the past 2 years and thoroughly enjoying it! Motorcycles help you meet new like minded people and you make new friends in no time.

I currently ride a Duke 390 and absolutely love my weekends! I plan to upgrade to a bigger motorcycle in the next couple of years! Any age is good to start riding, don't postpone a motorcycle

Buy good gear after you buy a motorcycle, stay safe & look good!

Last edited by Siddy : 21st April 2017 at 15:24.
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 15:46   #20
BHPian

I am 42 and been riding a 390 for the past 3 years. Have a RX100 also but don't take it out much because it is TN registered.

My first bike was dad's 1977 RE which I rode for 3 years in college. So the bullet always pulls my heart strings. My 10 year old daughter also loves the bullet and wanted me to buy it. But when I tried a Thunderbird for a few days in Bangalore traffic (especially Silk board and Marathalli which I had to cross daily), I was left with a painful left hand.
Old 21st April 2017, 16:09   #21
BHPian

I am 37 and am contemplating getting back to riding motorcycles again. The last time i did so was back in 2004-05 and looking back at it makes me get one for myself. The only thing that constantly keeps stopping me is safety but that's me.
If you want to get back into the saddle i suggest you do your homework and trust the wonderful advice this fraternity will provide. Age is a number and you are only as good as you want to be. If you want to take up ridding and are concerned about anything, simply ask away. You get an answer for near about everything here.
Old 21st April 2017, 17:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have always been reasonable fit ...
And therein lies the key, its not age ... its fitness. You need to view motorcycling as a sport and not something mundane as driving a boring generic 4 wheeler

I would in the same vein also speak about an often asked question - "Is this bike comfortable"? Its again going to depend on your fitness. The most comfortable motorcycle will feel painful in a 100 kms or so if you do not pay attention to your fitness and will continue to wonder how these idiots on KTM Dukes traverse the length and breadth of this country with a big smile on their face ... and generally happy buttocks. These Romans are crazy!!
Old 21st April 2017, 18:15   #23
BHPian

Although I am just 36, but I do long distances on my Classic 500 without any issues. I have had back and shoulder problems in the past, for which I regularly do exercises and yoga.

Here is my bike which is customised for my body.
Backrest and thicker cushioning helped a lot while the forward foot rest below the leg guard helps in cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Bikers in their forties?-1.jpg  

Old 21st April 2017, 20:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I do long distances on my Classic 500 without any issues. I have had back and shoulder problems in the past, for which I regularly do exercises and yoga.
Just curious as I have an uncle, who after a slip-disk, had a terrible back. He was an avid biker up until then and rode a Bull himself (not sure which one as I as too young and did not care about bikes back then). He had to sell it after that because his doctor advised him not to ride the Bullet as when you are sitting upright with your feet forward, you do not have any option to reduce shock transmission to your back and you become part of the suspension essentially. How true would you say this is in your case?
Old 21st April 2017, 20:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Just curious as I have an uncle, who after a slip-disk, had a terrible back. He was an avid biker up until then and rode a Bull himself (not sure which one as I as too young and did not care about bikes back then). He had to sell it after that because his doctor advised him not to ride the Bullet as when you are sitting upright with your feet forward, you do not have any option to reduce shock transmission to your back and you become part of the suspension essentially. How true would you say this is in your case?
Absolutely true. At least in my case.

The feet forward sitting relaxed position is only for a change in riding stance for a certain period on long drives. Only when the road is straight and at cruising speeds I tend to place my feet forward for a certain period.

For this exact reason I have customised my seat and handlebar according to my body as the stock seats and handlebar were not in sync with my body size.

To me the Karizma is uncomfortable, to your uncle it must be the case with the Bullet. Its different for everyone.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 22:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-tya View Post
I am 37 and am contemplating getting back to riding motorcycles again. The last time i did so was back in 2004-05 and looking back at it makes me get one for myself. The only thing that constantly keeps stopping me is safety but that's me.
If you want to get back into the saddle i suggest you do your homework and trust the wonderful advice this fraternity will provide. Age is a number and you are only as good as you want to be. If you want to take up ridding and are concerned about anything, simply ask away. You get an answer for near about everything here.
Very well said. I am overwhelmed by the enthusiasm on this forum. I wish I hadn't sold my Honda unicorn. One of you folks beautifully articulated as age yields itself more to motorcycling in the middle age. I guess 15 years ago moving on to cars and up the stature on professional front was a higher priority and "wasting" time on bikes gave some guilt feeling as well as the safety factor when one has a family to drive around. Having achieved statute reasonably its time to pursue those hobbies again. Much Thanks!
beyboo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 00:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Very well said. I am overwhelmed by the enthusiasm on this forum. I wish I hadn't sold my Honda unicorn. One of you folks beautifully articulated as age yields itself more to motorcycling in the middle age. I guess 15 years ago moving on to cars and up the stature on professional front was a higher priority and "wasting" time on bikes gave some guilt feeling as well as the safety factor when one has a family to drive around. Having achieved statute reasonably its time to pursue those hobbies again. Much Thanks!
Ha Ha, all kiddos. I am 55. First and only bike was a Hero Honda 100cc very first edition at the age of 22. Rode the bike from Bangalore to Chennai, Mysore and many places along the way. When I left for the US 2 years later I sold it for more than what I had bought it for - no kidding.

Now I have this overwhelming desire to get a bike and take long solitary trips to far off places. "Miles to go before I sleep" My bucket list keeps staring at me!
Old 20th June 2017, 10:48   #28
BHPian

The more I read such threads my desire to get back on a bike blooms. I started my two wheeler journey with a LML 150 NV SPL scooter. I used it for 2 years and my dad sold it off when i moved out of Bangalore for further studies as no one in my family had any interest on two wheeler.

My second one was a Hero Honda CD 100 DLX and I loved every bit of it. I had covered close to 50K KMS in 7 years from 1997 to 2004 and gifted it to some one in my native.

My third one was a Unicorn and loved it , it was a impulsive decision and bought it in 2005. I owned it for 4 years and sold it as I was advised to get off bikes due to a medical issue.

I have been using a TVS Jupiter now and had a Honda Activa and a Honda DIO few years back.

I am now 42 and want to get back to Biking but have no support from my family. Hope one day I will convince them. My wife is in two minds and evaluating Pros & Cons. Hopes she will finally approve.

I would like to go for RE Bullet but knowing that I cannot handle much weight thinking of Duke 200/250 or a Apache RTR 2004V.
Old 20th June 2017, 12:02   #29
BHPian

Hi Iam 55 years. Started touring on lambrettas, yezdi, Rx100 and now driving a 1970 bullet. Over the year I have driven around the country including LEH. Five years back drove to Bhutan. This weekend driving to Pangi valley( Killar- Kistwar Route. Lot more to do in my bucket list
Suresh Stephen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 12:51   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Plenty of them in my friend circle, including 1 himalayan and atleast 2-3 regular enfields.

Quote:
Would be interested to know. I am looking at either a Himalayan (new age hi-tech) bike or a custom royal enfield desert storm with some works done after market.
I had used a himalayan for my Leh trip last Sep-Oct and i would recommend it over the desert storm. Ease of use and comfort is way ahead of the desert storm. Initial batches have niggling issues which Royal Enfield is attending to seriously. Would suggest you to wait for the ABS + Fuel Injected version to come out. The fuel injected version i think is already selling, so the wait is not for long.

As far as my background now touching 41 years. Started with Mofa when i was in school and now on a Tiger XRX, restarted the biking journey couple of years back after a small break in between.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks