Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 16:23   #46
BANNED

Re: Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Ahh the one reply I was waiting for, thanks Ashwin sir. But I forgot to mention in my earlier post, a couple of bendex has also gone by. It doesn't come cheap BTW cost me 1.5k or something.
You could settle all doubts once and for all by pulling the belt cover off and cranking the engine, if the starter is turning the engine just fine and it's the engine that's failing to fire up then we can look at other things with certainty.

At the end of the day this is a simple setup, you need AFR, Compression and Spark to run. Once you rule out the starter then you're free to start with compression(dont need gauge, feel would do) then move on to spark(rest SP on metal ground and turn engine) and finally get the AFR(this can be a PITA but we'll get to that when the time comes) sorted out.
Old 29th August 2019, 12:02   #47

Thank you for the very valuable thread, Anurag.

Hello all,

I have a 11.6k run 2010 Aviator. The reason for the low mileage is the fact that I was not in India for two years and hence the scooter wasn't driven much. In December 2018, I got the scooter serviced from the authorized Honda service center in Delhi. Now I have moved to Hyderabad and have also moved the scooter with me to use it for my office commute (3kms each side).

I am also facing a couple of issues with my scooter. Although, the scooter starts with one kick in the morning without any accelerator input but, only after a few seconds of idling, it dies. The bigger issue is the fact that after driving for a few minutes there is a loss in pick-up. For example, the other day I was idling on a traffic signal to take a right. After turning, I was moving slowly as the vehicles ahead of me were merging on the road. When I tried to re-accelerate, the scooter simply died and the car behind me had to brake to avoid hitting me. Since then, I try to give constant throttle input to avoid the engine from dying down. In addition, at times while accelerating, the engine feels like it is about to die and is having trouble in generating the required power (it is a bit to difficult to explain but the only time I have had this issue before is in the cold weather when the engine is still not warm enough). Also, sometimes there is a kind of a burning smell when I park the scooter after riding.
Another issue seems to be the high fuel consumption. For example I filled in 2.6 L of fuel when the odo reading was 11625 km. The fuel meter bar had then crossed the half way mark. Now after running the scooter for only 25 kms, the bar is just below the low fuel mark(see picture)! However, I suspect this could be because of a faulty cable and to test it I plan to fill the tank up to the brim and see how much fuel does it take.

It would be extremely helpful if anyone could give me any idea about what could be the issue with my scooter.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-1567060327078.jpg  

Old 29th August 2019, 18:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)

How old is your air filter?
Old 29th August 2019, 19:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
How old is your air filter?
I am not sure but it wasn't changed in the last service.
Old 29th August 2019, 21:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Check how dirty it is.. replace it if needed. Also get your carburetor cleaned
Old 31st August 2019, 11:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Check how dirty it is.. replace it if needed. Also get your carburetor cleaned
Hi Nithesh, thanks for your help. I went for a full tank of fuel on Thursday. Surprisingly the scooter took a full 5L of petrol, so the fuel gauge was not the culprit. Then yesterfay, one of my colleagues pointed out to me that fuel was leaking from my ride. Apparently, the fuel pipe was damaged from the engine side. That explained why the scooter used to turn off on idling. The small amount of fuel used to leak out from the hole in the pipe. But, the fuel used to leak only while the scooter was on or while the scooter was parked on the side stand hence I could not notice it.
Went to a local mechanic today and got the pipe changed. Total damage: Rs 150/- + (3/4th tank full of fuel that leaked). The scooter performed flawlessly on the way back and is now idling without any throttle input.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-1567231862634.jpg  

Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-1567231872437.jpg  

DetonatoR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 19:22   #52
BHPian

Greetings!
Would you happen to have the shop manual for the Activa 125?I found one for the Activa 120 and assume that both are more or less similar. Also, how do you get spares? Would you have a parts manual to? I don't trust local shops and the asc asks for parts numbers.
Old 21st September 2019, 20:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Interc00led and I were in surprise when we opened the carburetor for cleaning. Good that we met to clear this issue else it would have been suspense for life or till something big would have happened.
My wife also facing the same issue for last 3 months. How you managed the issue? The new fuel screw you have shown in picture, it has to be fix in the same way? What about the O-ring position?
Old 22nd September 2019, 00:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
My wife also facing the same issue for last 3 months. How you managed the issue? The new fuel screw you have shown in picture, it has to be fix in the same way? What about the O-ring position?

From the tip to screw head- >o-ring - washer- spring- o ring.
interc00led is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 16:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
From the tip to screw head- >o-ring - washer- spring- o ring.
Do you have any picture for the company fitted screw?
Old 30th September 2019, 08:51   #56
BHPian

Hello,

i have an Honda Activa 125 and face cold starting problem. once kick started in morning it works throughout the day. morning it does not battery start, not kick start even with choke on or off.

I have done the following -

a. replaced battery
b. got serviced
c. carburetor cleaned and screws and rings checked
d. idling settings tuned

I am at my wits end on what to do. Have visited 2 mechanics but they have not been able to resolve the problem. Now one mechanic is suggesting to open engine and check valves, he is the same mechanic who had promised it will work after service twice and still could not resolve so I cannot trust him blindly.

Please suggest on what can I do and what could be potential issue.

Any pointers from experts would help a lot. Thanks to all.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:14   #57
BHPian

^^^^^^^^^^^

If you can check for spark then it would eliminate suspect number one from the list of usual suspects. You need to remove the spark plug with connection intact and place it on the cylinder body and battery/kick start it and see if it sparks.

Last edited by srini1785 : 30th September 2019 at 09:39.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Hello,
i have an Honda Activa 125 and face cold starting problem. once kick started in morning it works throughout the day. morning it does not battery start, not kick start even with choke on or off.
since it works fine for the rest of the day after morning start, i would say that this primarily seems to be a issue with the slow jet being clogged or AFR being kept too lean for good mileage as is done by most mechanics.

Are you able to identify the air screw on your bike and know how it functions? I ask cause if you do then it makes sense to open the screw by half a turn and observe if it helps. If in case you are not well versed with it then you will need to do some reading to get the concept and then you can do it.

Changing the slow jet would also help if the current one is partially clogged. Honda jets are cheap and easily available and i would just buy a new one and fix it,sometimes trying to clean the jet as some mechanics do with using wires etc just ruins them, so best is to by a new one.

Besides this have a look at the spark plug condition and HT cord/Spark plug cap.Besides that there is nothing in these bikes.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 09:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
since it works fine for the rest of the day after morning start, i would say that this primarily seems to be a issue with the slow jet being clogged or AFR being kept too lean for good mileage as is done by most mechanics.

Are you able to identify the air screw on your bike and know how it functions? I ask cause if you do then it makes sense to open the screw by half a turn and observe if it helps. If in case you are not well versed with it then you will need to do some reading to get the concept and then you can do it.

Changing the slow jet would also help if the current one is partially clogged. Honda jets are cheap and easily available and i would just buy a new one and fix it,sometimes trying to clean the jet as some mechanics do with using wires etc just ruins them, so best is to by a new one.

Besides this have a look at the spark plug condition and HT cord/Spark plug cap.Besides that there is nothing in these bikes.
Spark Plug has been checked and replaced too.
The Screw adjustment too has been performed 3-4 times with no result.
Mechanic mentioned after trying other things that final issue can be in engine valve oil is getting rich which causes cold start.

Thanks so much for the prompt response. I am seriously stumped on this one and tried so many things to no avail.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Spark Plug has been checked and replaced too.
The Screw adjustment too has been performed 3-4 times with no result.
How much is your bike run? Is this mechanic at the authorized service center or outside.If outside maybe you could try the service center. We have no idea about the capabilities of your current mechanic so to rule out either go some other place or the company service center. i don't think you need to open head and invite further issues, keep that as a extremely last option.

If you miss one simple small o ring it could lead to plethora of issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks