Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 12:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
How much is your bike run? Is this mechanic at the authorized service center or outside.If outside maybe you could try the service center. We have no idea about the capabilities of your current mechanic so to rule out either go some other place or the company service center. i don't think you need to open head and invite further issues, keep that as a extremely last option.

If you miss one simple small o ring it could lead to plethora of issues.

I first got it serviced at authorised Honda but the mechanic there was did not seem to identify or resolve it in spite of a couple of visits so last time I took it to another mechanic who cleaned the carburettor and spark plug and adjusted the screw. Now he saying that it can be engine valve issue which I am sceptical about so seeking inputs here to see if it helps.

Once again thanking for posting possible fixes.
Old 30th September 2019, 13:07   #62
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Now he saying that it can be engine valve issue which I am sceptical about so seeking inputs here to see if it helps.
Has this engine been opened recently for say re boring or valve replacement or any other repairs?. If yes, what type of repairs?.

I don't see any reason why a running bike (albeit idiosyncratic) would develop valve issues one day and run fine the next day with no change in settings.
Old 30th September 2019, 13:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Has this engine been opened recently for say re boring or valve replacement or any other repairs?. If yes, what type of repairs?.

I don't see any reason why a running bike (albeit idiosyncratic) would develop valve issues one day and run fine the next day with no change in settings.
Activa 125 has run only 27000 kilometres and is 2017 model no work done apart from the normal service. Absolutely no other issues other than cold start after which it runs as good as a new bike. After the first cold start complete day it starts in one button push. Even i cant see it as engine issue as usage is less.
Old 30th September 2019, 16:35   #64
BHPian

I would still suggest and try richening the AFR.
I feel in my opinion this scooter has been lean tuned and hence the cold start issue. Please do try it out and see.
Old 18th October 2019, 12:21   #65
BHPian

Posting full information again with all details covered and one important point added in note. Hope to get constructive inputs as before and maybe identifying the issue with the new note added.

Hello,

Activa 125 has run only 27000 kilometres and is 2017 model no work done apart from the normal service.
Absolutely no other issues other than cold start after which it runs as good as a new bike.
After the first cold start complete day it starts in one button push, First start in morning it does not battery start,
not kick start even with choke on or off. It takes minimum 30-40 kicks to get it on.

I have done the following -

a. replaced battery
b. got serviced
c. carburetor cleaned and screws and rings checked
d. idling/rpm settings tuned
e. Spark Plug has been checked and replaced too.
f. The air/petrol Screw adjustment too has been performed 3-4 times with no result

NOTE : If petrol tank is full, it gets started with button immediately, sometimes a couple of kicks but much better.

Mechanic mentioned after trying other things that final issue can be in engine valve oil is getting rich which causes cold start.

Thanks so much for the prompt response. I am seriously stumped on this one and tried so many things to no avail.

I am at my wits end on what to do. Have visited 2 mechanics but they have not been able to resolve the problem.
Now one mechanic is suggesting to open engine and check valves, he is the same mechanic who had promised it will work after
service twice and still could not resolve so I cannot trust him blindly.

Please suggest on what can I do and what could be potential issue.
Old 18th October 2019, 13:15   #66
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can understand your plight. The issue comes up only in the first start and is difficult to explain / demonstrate in front of a mechanic.

What your mechanic says about the oil getting into the cylinder due to a leaking valve stem seal, could be an issue. You could ask him to confirm this by just removing the spark plug and having a look inside to find excessive traces of engine oil. This should also correspond with an increased oil consumption and a smokey exhaust (bluish-white tinge).

If he confirms this, the repair job requiring opening of the cylinder head is not that big a job.

I would still get the carb checked and reconditioned once again with original spares rather than re-using the parts after cleaning.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 21:51   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I know I am really digging up a really old thread, but did your problem got resolved? If yes then could you share the problem here?

Also would like some suggestions, I have recently replaced the Spark Plug of my Maestro. The recommended one is CPR7EA-9 but i have installed a CPR6EA-9. So does getting a step hotter plug will actually induce knocking? I can feel some pinging noise from the engine (not really sure if it is from engine or gearbox) even with the mixture running rich, although there were no drivability issues.

Thank You,
Abhishek.
Old 20th December 2020, 08:30   #68
BHPian

Hello Fellow BHPians,

Apologies for the delay in update.

Everyone including me was eager to know the solution, and now I think I should update everyone as I have found out now.

The problem went away by itself, strange but true.

After replacing battery, multiple services and many other things it still persisted.
Then one fine day it went away just like that.
I was expecting that it may start the problem again after some time, but its been months now and its gone.

Strangely, everything was tried with no result and I had given up hope.

Think there are some things which cant be explained.

Regards
xway is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed