Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2017, 20:17   #1
BANNED

Salman Khan launches "Being Human" e-bicycles

Going the e-mobility way is indeed picking up with everyone venturing into some kind of electric transport.

Salman Khan launched 2 e-bicycles under his "Being Human" brand yesterday on the occasion of World Environment Day.

The BH12 that costs INR 40,000.00 and the BH27 for 57.000.
Both the e-bicycles are said to have a range of 30-40 km per charge. They are slated to be made available across most cities within the next 6 months.

Source: http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...5080&type=News
n.devdath is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 20:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Salman Khan launches "Being Human" e-bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Salman Khan launched 2 e-bicycles under his "Being Human" brand yesterday on the occasion of World Environment Day.

Source: http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...5080&type=News
Since those bikes are 'Being Human' they do not run over people even when driver is drunk
silverado is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 21:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

I was under the impression that 'Being Human Foundation' was a non-profit organization. Looking at the pricing and positioning (leisure/sport), this looks like a for-profit initiative.

My head is exploding with "Salman Khan/ SUV/ hit-and-run/ nobody responsible" jokes, but I shall refrain!
SmartCat is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 22:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

I was reading an article sometime back where they had mentioned that bicycles will be launched by the brand. Was thinking as a normal bicycle but surprised to see e bikes. I have not seen much market for these kind of bikes. Interesting to see the sales especially with that price point.

, the comments about his SUV accident is becoming stale. I am no fan of his but ain't there a phrase, "Innocent until proven guilty". He may or may not have influenced the case in any ways but its for the prosecution to prove it. Until then probably I guess there is no need for these comments. Lets stick to what this thread is about.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I was under the impression that 'Being Human Foundation' was a non-profit organization. Looking at the pricing and positioning (leisure/sport), this looks like a for-profit initiative.
A 'non-profit organisation' does not mean that the organisation doesn't make any profit, it simply means that that organisation re-funnels the profits into further achieving its mission, purpose. In other words, any startup that refuses to grow up :P

On the bikes, I was waiting for someone to launch something like this, and I'll surely give these a try. Also, considering those stupid e-scooters from China cost above 50k, this isn't bad pricing.
ach1lles is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 00:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well this was bound to arrive; although I'm surprised at the huge price bracket.

Out here in New York, cycles are the mode of transport for the numerous food and courier delivery guys; one will find several delivery guys with an electric motor setup on their cycles.

The cheapest one I could find was this at around $148 (/~10K INR). I'm sure there are cheaper setups available.

But I'm guessing Mr. Khan is rebranding some chinese made (or maybe even a proper branded) electric cycles with that huge price tag.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 01:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This got released 2 days too early, delivery should've opened Thursday evening for the bhai fans early preview and then the drawer office (D.O) collections should've started from Friday onwards.

As with every other business started by the man, this too should be expected to gross a billion crores in no time at all, people who'd laughed at bicycles thus far would now be travelling on them because hey! e-bike hai yaar.

My friend is/was a huge fan of the man, I tease her mercilessly each time we talk.. time to pitch the idea of the e-bike to her, her office is about 40 kms away too
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 06:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
This got released 2 days too early, delivery should've opened Thursday evening for the bhai fans early preview and then the drawer office (D.O) collections should've started from Friday onwards.

As with every other business started by the man, this too should be expected to gross a billion crores in no time at all, people who'd laughed at bicycles thus far would now be travelling on them because hey! e-bike hai yaar.

My friend is/was a huge fan of the man, I tease her mercilessly each time we talk.. time to pitch the idea of the e-bike to her, her office is about 40 kms away too
If she buys one and it runs out of power after traveling 35 km, she will only have to push it 5 km to finish her trip.

That's when she will learn about the "human" part of the name, "Being Human".
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 10:51   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
42 crores donated in 3 years - source and a short + sweet interview.

I recently shopped at his Santa Cruz store and must say, some of the stuff (especially linen shirts) was really good.

Back to the cycle, in true Salman style, he rode the e-cycle to the launch - image source
Salman Khan launches "Being Human" e-bicycles-beinghumancyclesalmankhanpicimagem1_720x540.jpg

The person in charge of Being Human e-cycles is Atul Gupta, an ex-Suzuki VP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If she buys one and it runs out of power after traveling 35 km, she will only have to push it 5 km to finish her trip.
She can (manually) cycle the rest of the way?
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 11:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a good idea to travel around when one need to run small errands etc. But at that price it seems to be out of reach of commoners who will not find it practical as in the end its still a bicycle. 40k will buy a used or new 2 wheeler which will not have range limitations. Max it should have been priced at around 20k.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 12:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

To actuate the motor, its says a button needs to be pressed on the handle bar. Else one can keep pedalling. Should be good to go around the city or even to office combining manual and motor assist.
But I think there is already one that is similar that I have seen and commented on the bicycle thread. Not sure what its price is and how much of battery storage that holds.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

I'm trying to think of possible markets for this in the context of price points and usage:

1. Delivery boys.

Purchase cost comparable to scooters but I'm assuming running cost will be much lower. Radius in which they operate should be consistent with the charge. Not sure if it will increase their time though in which case it may NOT be such a time (and therefore cost) effective option. Also charging time may mean inability to use.

2. Commuting by Lifestyle / quasi-fitness users:

Honestly, I don't expect any serious fitness cyclists to use this product for commuting or otherwise. Most cyclists I know in Bbay cycle early AM on bikes that cost anywhere between 20k and 2 - 3 lakh (on average - there are costlier rides also floating out there). They then use their cars for their during day running.

I think this might be used by less fit people who want to commute in something other than a car or a scooter. Want to move around in Bandra through the day? Use this perhaps. I'm hard pressed to think of any other use honestly.

Just my 2 cents of guess work.

On a separate note, the perceived high pricing does not mean Being Human is not a "not for profit" organisation. It is not designed towards benefitting the purchasers. Whatever their profit margins are, the question is whether they are being upstreamed to owners / shareholders or in some way instead being used for charitable purpose. I could charge 1 lakh for the bike and give the entire profit component to a shelter. Alternately, I could make a very thin profit and pocket it as personal dividend. The first is still NFP while the second isn't.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 13:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The BH12 ... and the BH27 ...
I feel like this is the perfect set-up for the top-of-the-line model: BH41

What say, Salman BHAI?

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2017 at 14:05.
Rehaan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
42 crores donated in 3 years - source and a short
Any idea about the regulatory requirements like registration number, license and riding gear etc?

Salman and Sohail not wearing a helmet or any other riding gear. The worst, cops are also not wearing helmets.
MaxTorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 11:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Any idea about the regulatory requirements like registration number, license and riding gear etc?

Salman and Sohail not wearing a helmet or any other riding gear. The worst, cops are also not wearing helmets.
I don't think these require any sort of registration, the motors aren't powerful enough to warrant the same. No riding gear either. Helmets should be worn I agree at all times.
Though BH might popularize e-cycles to an extent, they've been around for quite some time in India as well.
Also the pricing isn't out of this world. There was a change in taxation of bicycles a few years back, prices have shot up since then. Competitors in the lifestyle category retail for as much and much more.
My concern is with the quality and the engineering (if any) that has gone into designing these bikes. Brands like Bergamont, Trek, etc. cost a bomb, but you at least know that the chassis is rigid enough to take some strain. With these, if would be anybody's guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks