Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 16:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
Wrong side of 30
"Wrong side of 30" this line made me happy and sad at the same time as I am turning 30 this July

well sir, like you said you are in perfect shape so, why don't you try looking for the bikes that are not too aggressive, powerful, ticks all the boxes that you want but it doesn't exactly fall in the cruiser category. I think by now you know which bike I am talking about.

1) KTM Duke 390: Powerful, nimble, fun, upright seating position, ABS, exciting colors (Personal Opinion), dirt cheap spare parts. The bike is currently has some niggles and issues (read the thread) but that is something that can be fixed through a simple software upgrade

2) Benelli TNT 300: Ultimate city cruiser, decent highway rider, exhaust note that can make a grown man cry comfortable sitting position, downside is the service intervals are too short, lack of ABS and spare parts are too expensive. if you can live with that, its an awesome bike

3) CBR250: If you don't mind its ageing looks, its one heck of a machine. Refined/smooth engine, decent power, full faring, somewhat aggressive position, good city commuter.

My advice is, ride them back to back in one day then decide what bike you want to go with. All the best!

drive_angry
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 16:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
"Wrong side of 30" this line made me happy and sad at the same time as I am turning 30 this July

Believe me you guys are on the right side of 40

payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 19:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Whats wrong side of 30? Sorry, i am a little confused so asking this, but you want a cruiser because you are over 30 or do you want a cruiser because you think its the safe thing to do for 30+ folks? Honest question, no offence meant at all. Apologies in advance if it comes across that way.

Being a biker myself and on the right side of 18; looking at your biking history, I would recommend breaking your mental barrier first and be ready to enjoy yourself. Rather than try to fit yourself into a bike, get a bike to fit you.

However, given your requirements, CBR 250 ABS/Dominar ABS. I might even go as far as recommending the Himalayan (No ABS though), considering that you are open to RE. Do try and keep ABS as a part of your requirements.

Cheers man.
sammyboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 23:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Members- Simply put, need myself a nice ride.

2. Need some real power kicking. Cars specially diesel heads have given me lot of power kick. Hence need atleast 350 CC or more.

Will be grateful to get a little of your wisdom. Help, help!

Dear Kjayant,

Go for Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Standard. Although the Classic 350 and 500 are both fuel injected but the systems are primitive while the Standard 500 comes with a dependable carburettor.

There is a whole lot of mod potential in REs and personalisation options available in the market.

Performance wise, the Standard 500 gives a decent surge of torque from lower RPMs which is kinda useful in city traffic.

Some things that you will have to take care about the poor service support and tacky switchgear which gives upon the owner quite frequently.

All in all, the RE offers what the modern bikes fail to offer i.e. low end torque and a commanding position which surely will put a smile to your face.

Happy Riding !!
Old 12th June 2017, 23:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Go for Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Standard. Although the Classic 350 and 500 are both fuel injected but the systems are primitive while the Standard 500 comes with a dependable carburettor.
There are a few corrections in your post sir.

Firstly all 350 RE are carburetted, none of the 350 enfields come in the fuel injected form.

Secondly all 500 cc Enfield's are now fuel injected only.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 00:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Whats wrong side of 30? Sorry, i am a little confused so asking this, but you want a cruiser because you are over 30 or do you want a cruiser because you think its the safe thing to do for 30+ folks? Honest question, no offence meant at all. Apologies in advance if it comes across that way.

Being a biker myself and on the right side of 18; looking at your biking history, I would recommend breaking your mental barrier first and be ready to enjoy yourself. Rather than try to fit yourself into a bike, get a bike to fit you.

However, given your requirements, CBR 250 ABS/Dominar ABS. I might even go as far as recommending the Himalayan (No ABS though), considering that you are open to RE. Do try and keep ABS as a part of your requirements.

Cheers man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If simply cruising is your thing, then the Mojo really does well in that regard. It's not the most sporty when it comes to attacking the twisty stuff but on the straight and narrow, the ride quality is great, motor is creamy smooth, sounds good and the bike has a nice relaxed riding position.

Do also look at the Dominar. Just because it is a Bajaj, don't exclude it from the contention.
Dominor has got high recency and frequency from almost all the members. Definitely worth a look in.

None taken. Like I said, I was looking to get some clarity. Feels nice to get some bashing from an 18 something kiddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post

Cheers man.

Dominor could be a great option but honestly I have had too much of Bajaj. Will give it test ride though. Himalayan is too much raw-bare-brawn for me. To me automobiles have always been an extension of my mental and physical state. Think Himalayan is too raw and little impractical to double up as a city ride.

ABS now goes as a must have. Thanks for that little piece.

Will give Dominor a look in!

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th June 2017 at 08:57. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Dominor could be a great option but honestly I have had too much of Bajaj. Will give it test ride though. Himalayan is too much raw-bare-brawn for me. To me automobiles have always been an extension of my mental and physical state. Think Himalayan is too raw and little impractical to double up as a city ride.

ABS now goes as a must have. Thanks for that little piece.

Will give Dominor a look in!
Given your budget, the Dominar seems to tick all the boxes although I do understand your sentiments about Bajaj. Even though the P180 was the best bike that I've owned till date in terms of character, I would probably never touch another Bajaj product again (no offence meant to anyone).

I've not ridden the Himalayan yet but going by the reviews here and from my biker buddies, it is an improved bike now with hardly any niggles reported. Contrary to your views, I feel it is a very good city bike which can double up as relaxed highway cruiser. I do not know much about the 350/500 so will refrain from commenting on those.

You could also consider the FZ/Fazer25. There are a couple of reviews here on the forum for you to read up, one of them is my buddy, Vikram's review. Although he's been facing minor niggles he says it is overall a good bike to own.

If I were planning for a 2.5L motorcycle then I would increase the budget a little and seriously consider the Mojo. There are not many on the road and hardly any reviews here but whatever I've read about it or whomsoever I've spoken to have only good things to say about the bike. It looks quirky which is its USP as per me and in that red/white shade, stands out in the crowd. Sounds absolutely fantastic without the baffles and is a very good tourer. The bike seems to be reliable (there's a Quikr video of an owner who's ridden it for 60000 kms!) and Mahindra service seems to be good.

You can also look for pre-owned options like the N/Z250s which fall bang in your price bracket. But let me warn you that these are very cumbersome to ride in the city.

Happy buying!

Quote:
None taken. Like I said, I was looking to get some clarity. Feels nice to get some bashing from an 18 something kiddo
Yeah, if 40 came after 18 then Sammyboy would be on the right side of 18!!!
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:26   #23
BHPian

Don't know your budget.. Consider a new or even used Kawasaki Versys 650! You will not repent for atleast the next 20-30 years if touring long distance is what you are looking for. It lives up to its name. It really is the Versatile system.

Positives:

1. Gives you a mileage of 20-23. 20 in any conditions
2. 21 litre tank, Good range of 350-400 depending on your riding and reserve maintained
3. Extremely agile at decent speeds.
4. Can keep up with litre class too when required if you have a skilled rider on its saddle.
5. You will have a smile on your face every time you reach a ghat section
6. Low and mid range torque
7. I have not used though confirmed by my fellow riders in the community. Pillion comfort is also good
8. Good accessories available to make it a long distance tourer

Negatives:

1. Weight in stand still conditions.
2. Kawasaki service post the bajaj split is pathetic and will get you on your nerves. This am hoping will settle in 3-4 months

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2017 at 10:28. Reason: Typos, capitalisation etc.
hiran77 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th June 2017, 10:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know your budget
May be reading that first post can help. I did and it helped.

" Still not sure on how will I gel with the buddy hence the budget has to be 2 to 2.5 Lacs. No more. Wish I had more clarity "

And Versys is definitely a costly bike to hold on to for say 6-10 years. The cost of Kawasaki parts is not exactly pocket friendly and lately the new changes in the service is not really meant for having a economic ownership of your motorcycle.

Bullet - Pick an used 500 and thats a better cruiser. But dont expect fuel efficiency post that. But the 500 is a better buy over the 350 and its actually powerful enough to also make the wrong side of 30 for a surprise right side of 40.

Himalyan - This bike actually looks a fair compromise of everything at its cost for your needs. It may have its quirks and issues but this one bike looks very efficient for your requirement.

Used N650 - Wait for few more months that the N650 should hit the 2.5L bracket. This bike is fantastic for touring also. Reliability is never a question on Kawasaki so it run till we get a knee replacement and is actually faster and better for touring.

Mojo :- Surprisingly this is a good bike. Has excellent grunt and Mahindra is not a stranger. They own a winning Moto team racing across the globe, An electric F1 team that is kicking bigger teams and wont be surprised if they enter F1 and Motogp in future. Their R&D is definitely working night shifts and mojo is a very good product.

Quote:
I am built well, never had any back issues or fatigue during all those long distances but I guess need to take better care of my body now.
Take care of your body by going to gym. Motorcycles are for meditation and mind. You get what will give you the best peace of mind. For me it is fast sports bikes. I usually recommend 390 before any other bike but in your case you are very clear on your requirement.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haneeshN View Post
I might be the only one to suggest this bike but you should also consider the Suzuki Inazuma. Other than looks its an awesome bike and you might get a used one for a good deal. It is a perfect bike for touring and you also get the punch of twin cylinders. The downside is parts availability and this shouldn't be a problem if you can import the parts. You'll also get to own a unique bike
Yes the Inazuma is a brilliant motorcycle for the OPs requirements and fits the bill. Unfortunately it is no longer on sale but if one can find a good used example, there is nothing like it. I was fortunate enough to sample an Inazuma last year and the refinement, predictability and smooth stability both in the straights and mid-corner, make it one hell of a soothing machine to tour on. I have never ridden anything else that is so soothing to ride there are several bikes in the price bracket that excel at a few of these things but none that feel as purpose built for no-nonsense long rides, than the Inazuma. When it comes to riding the bike for 2 hours or more (2 hours is when I absolutely need a break from riding my RC390), I had no complaints with the Inazuma's ride quality, seat cushioning, engine characteristics, or handling. It was simply sublime and I could sing praise about that bike all day long. Also, if my impression of owning a CBU from Suzuki albeit not a bike (Kizashi), is anything to go by, availability of even the most random parts (I have once had to replace the memory seat switch in my car), is never more than a 2 week wait away I am attaching some of shumi from overdrive's thoughts on the bike:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
You can also look for pre-owned options like the N/Z250s which fall bang in your price bracket. But let me warn you that these are very cumbersome to ride in the city.
Any reason why you think the Z250 would be cumbersome to ride in the city? I understand that many folks in our country are averse to sportbike stance and even the very mildly sporty characteristic of an N250/300, is too much for them to handle on a daily basis, but the Z250 you say could be cumbersome as well? I haven't ridden the Z250 but I have ridden the N250 and I found that quite good to ride in the city. The long wheelbase meant that flicking it through traffic wasn't a very quick experience, I also understand that you need to keep the motor singing a bit to get anywhere but that's part of the thrill and the gearbox was a delight to use and it had absolutely no heating issues and felt quite comfy to ride from the seat to the clutch, I had no issues with it in the city. I am assuming the upright stance of the Z250 should only be better within the city no?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th June 2017 at 12:41.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Any reason why you think the Z250 would be cumbersome to ride in the city?
From my Ninja 250R experience(And I believe the Z has the engine in the same state of tune), the bottom end torque was mild. I was riding with a pillion and here in our city, the speed breakers are more like ski jumps on an aircraft carrier, so had to downshift to first quite a few times.
And the thing was quite heavy(I am used to the smaller R15 and Model B).
Old 13th June 2017, 13:53   #27
BHPian

I too am in the same boat of the topic starter. Moved to Chennai on Sunday and would be commuting Bangalore on almost all the weekends. Thus, this question of a good cruiser bike. I have zeroed on Bullet 350 and think this has some exclusivity too. I am not entirely sure Avenger can be handy when traveling 700 kms over two days. Honda CBR 250 is off their websites.

Think Yamaha FZ25 might also be a better option though it is far from a cruiser. So looking at all the options, Bullet 350 seems to cut the choice of being a good cruiser though it does not have the ABS option. Also, my budget is under 1.5 lakhs.
Old 13th June 2017, 14:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I too am in the same boat of the topic starter. Moved to Chennai on Sunday and would be commuting Bangalore on almost all the weekends. Thus, this question of a good cruiser bike. I have zeroed on Bullet 350 and think this has some exclusivity too. I am not entirely sure Avenger can be handy when traveling 700 kms over two days. Honda CBR 250 is off their websites.

Think Yamaha FZ25 might also be a better option though it is far from a cruiser. So looking at all the options, Bullet 350 seems to cut the choice of being a good cruiser though it does not have the ABS option. Also, my budget is under 1.5 lakhs.
Why not consider Dominar? ABS can be a life-saver, tubeless tyres are a hoot to repair puncture ourselves, sealed battery as opposed to lead-acid so no topping up and engine is powered better and also has a better console.
Old 13th June 2017, 14:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Dominar seems to be the best choice considering your requirments. Mojo does not have ABS, and I would not recommend any vehicle without ABS for touring.

I would not recommend CBR 250 for touring considering your age. The riding position has a small lean and would not be comfortable over long rides. I stopped touring on CBR 250 because of shoulder pain.
Old 13th June 2017, 16:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

As per the current scenario, the Dominor and the Himalayan wins hands down.
Plus points of the Dominor- Being a Bajaj, quite pocket friendly, spares are easily available and good service support, LED headlights, a big plus point for night rides, FI, comfortable seating, ABS and tubeless tyres and yes it's a 6 gear. The only reason why people shy away from the Dominor is because it's a Bajaj .
Himalayan- I would say it's the SUVs of Motorcycles, very much comfortable for long rides. Though it has some quality niggles, the new FI ones should be better since RE has really taken quite a bashing. I have not seen a a single FI Himalayan delivered till date. It seems RE is trying to iron out all the issues before it hits the showroom. The only gripe is the absence of ABS and tubeless tyres.

PS- I am 30+ and have taken a break from motorcycling, blame it to me being overweight, all thanks to my sedentary lifestyle which has greatly taken a toll on my long distance riding stamina. Hoping to return to the biking scenario by next year (need to shed a whopping 20Kgs)

Last edited by rakesh_r : 13th June 2017 at 17:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks