Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 13:34   #16
BHPian

Re: My KTM 390 Duke - Abandoned orange, almost went green, sniffed at blue & ended up with orange ag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Felt good to know there are more of my kind.

Have a query: did they still have the limited edition white colour when you bought yours?

Hope to catch up with you one of these days while commuting. Happy riding!
I always knew I couldn't be the only one. No, the white only was not intended for our market just yet but I think eventually they will introduce it.

Sure let's catch up.
Old 28th June 2017, 12:37   #17
BHPian

Re: My KTM 390 Duke - Abandoned orange, almost went green, sniffed at blue & ended up with orange ag

Congratulations on the bike! and a great write up!
To get the full enjoyment of the bike, do not upshift too soon. The engine is extremely free reving. Post the break-in period, let er rip to atleast 6000rpm before upshifting
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 13:41   #18
BHPian

Congrats! Just started seeing a few on Pune roads. Love their looks.

I almost took the plunge. Booked it after launch for Rs 1000/-. Was promised delivery in 2 months. But then the great BSIII sale happened
And Couldnt resist the Kawa ER6-N for a whopping 2L off OTR (and even got the refund)
Paleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 13:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
But then the great BSIII sale happened
And Couldnt resist the Kawa ER6-N for a whopping 2L off OTR (and even got the refund)
Congrats! Lucky you.I was caught napping.
Old 28th June 2017, 20:29   #20
BHPian

Congratulations !! Enjoy the ride !!

I am still waiting to see Benelli 502R launch in India, post which I will make decision on KTM or Benelli. Love the Color
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 22:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post

I am still waiting to see Benelli 502R
I think you meant the 302.
Old 28th June 2017, 23:26   #22
BHPian

Hi.. no I meant the new BENELLI 502R which is yet to be released in India. it can be used for both touring and in city
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 07:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
Hi.. no I meant the new BENELLI 502R
Ok. I thought only the 502TRK was in the pipeline did not know they are planning a 502R version.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 09:07   #24
BHPian

My Bad.. I was referring to 502TRK..sorry
Old 8th July 2017, 15:09   #25
BHPian

First Service

Could not ride the bike as much as I would have loved too but before I knew it the 45 day cut off for the first service came pretty quickly. So with only 421 km on the odo called up Mekhri circle KTM to fix my appointment for the next day. The lady on the other line stated there was no need to book an appointment and I should visit anytime between 10am to 5pm. So on the 8th of July reached the service center at 10 am sharp.

The service guy asked filled the forms and asked me if there were any issues to report. I had the following
-Headlight automatically going off for a couple of seconds (I already had the V39 firmware)
-Condensation inside the TFT. (This cropped up after an early morning foggy Bangalore ride)

My KTM 390 Duke. EDIT: Now sold-condensation.jpg

-Rattle from front left hand side of the tank.

Once all these were updated in the service form the service adviser asked me: "How soon do you need the bike?" I'm a patient guy but since he made the offer I replied: "As soon as possible". He turned around to his colleague and after a few exchanges in hushed voices he said it would be completed in 1 hour! Oil change + chain lube and tightening + fix the reported issues + water wash in 1 hour, couldn't resist the offer.

Mekhri circle service center has a lovely waiting section where you can view the entire shop floor without intruding. There were already 3 2017 D390 being serviced. The engine oil was changed, the chain cleaned, tightened and lubricated. The service manager (Sebastian) then plugged the diagnostic device in the canbus and made a few updates that would supposedly fix the headlights going off. With regards to the condensation he did mention a few bikes have already reported this and it has been reported to KTM. He took a couple of pictures and informed me since there was no sign of any physical damage would forward it to KTM. For the tank rattle the only thing I saw him do was tap the tank around with the base of his palm. The bike was then washed and ready. Things were happening too smoothly to be true.

Then the fly in the ointment! The billing process to sum up in one word - Sucks! It took longer than the actual bike service. I was sitting right in front of them for the entire duration but when it came to generating a UAN (a text message that would contain your service code) they chose to update the job card (see attached invoice) with their manager's number. I knew something was amiss when one department kept asking for the UAN and they were told it would not come to my number but another number. When the invoice was generated I noticed it was not my number. When I asked they said my number was not registering in their system. I did not believe that because this same number was used when I bought my D200, D390 and is also updated in the My ride APP. It took awhile for them to correct it and then regenerate another invoice.

My KTM 390 Duke. EDIT: Now sold-bill.jpg

Note: Please make sure they use the correct phone number when generating the UAN

That said, in and out in a couple of hours time was acceptable.

Bike post first service: Have ridden it for only 15 kms but gear shifts seem a bit smooth now, true benefits would be noticed only after maybe another 50 kms.

I gave in to temptation and revved till red line in the first 4 gears on a long empty stretch, anyone who says you need a more powerful bike for the city needs their head examined . Personally the D200 is ALL the power you will ever need in the city.

The rattle from inside the tank shroud had vanished but sadly came back as soon as I entered my parking (Will wait for an update on my TFT and then will ask them to open up the tank shroud and check).

Will have to keep an eye out if the headlight goes off again.
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 06:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
-Condensation inside the TFT. (This cropped up after an early morning foggy Bangalore ride)
I have not faced this yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Note: Please make sure they use the correct phone number when generating the UAN
Will do.

Quote:
I gave in to temptation and revved till red line in the first 4 gears on a long empty stretch, anyone who says you need a more powerful bike for the city needs their head examined . Personally the D200 is ALL the power you will ever need in the city.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 14:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
-Headlight automatically going off for a couple of seconds (I already had the V39 firmware)
Quote:
With regards to the condensation he did mention a few bikes have already reported this and it has been reported to KTM. He took a couple of pictures and informed me since there was no sign of any physical damage would forward it to KTM.
Deep,
has there been any update on the aforementioned issue's ? Especially the condensation observed inside the TFT panel. Each time I make up mind to book this vehicle & wanting to believe that KTM has fixed most of their electrical gremlins with 5V39, a new one chooses to walk out of the closet.
Old 11th July 2017, 14:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Deep,
has there been any update on the aforementioned issue's ? Especially the condensation observed inside the TFT panel.
Unfortunately no, but in all fairness to the service center guys I have not asked them for an update yet. Headlight issue seems to have been sorted , have not noticed it cutting out after service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Each time I make up mind to book this vehicle & wanting to believe that KTM has fixed most of their electrical gremlins with 5V39, a new one chooses to walk out of the closet.
Well what can I say, I bought the bike purely for its performance characteristics. Trust me if they had given me a choice of the same bike with the regular console I would have jumped for it. TFT console is the one feature I can absolutely do without. For now the only gremlins this bike has is limited to the TFT.

As it stands I am extremely happy with the performance of the bike to a point I feel I am not doing it justice and have started scouring track day schools. If you are the patient kind you could wait for another 6-8 months till they iron out all their glitches, if not, in my humble opinion you will not feel short changed if you buy the bike now. Once you start rolling all these issues become irrelevant.

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 11th July 2017 at 14:37.
Old 23rd June 2018, 19:33   #29
BHPian

Pre Monsoon checkup

Got a call from my KTM dealership asking me to come in for a pre monsoon check up. The lady over the phone was not very clear as to what this check up entailed but was very insistent I bring my bike in. Since my service was due I decided to visit the showroom today.
Apparently KTM has identified the ECU mounting and tail light assembly is not waterproof and they have to rectify this . The ECU mounting needed to be changed and some seal placed under the rear seat. KTM is also fixing headlight washers to stop the headlight rattle but since the headlight was replaced for my bike that was not needed. That's when it struck me, this actually was a recall under the guise of "Pre monsoon check".
So if you own a Duke 390 MY2017 please take your bike to the service center.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 19:56   #30
BHPian

Re: Pre Monsoon checkup

Quote:
Got a call from my KTM dealership asking me to come in for a pre monsoon check up.
Been a long time since we last heard from you, Deep.

Quote:
So if you own a Duke 390 MY2017 please take your bike to the service center.
Any idea Deep if the aforementioned problems plague even the MY2018 models or to para-phrase, are the MY2018 specimens also included in the recall ?
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed