Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 11:19   #166
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

Are the gear shifts clunky on Dukes? Like sometimes they do make a clunking noise while shifting. Also hearing slight squeaking noise from front brakes.
Old 10th October 2018, 22:09   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost all motorcycle transmissions will occasionally make a clunking noise when they are shifted from one gear to the next or more often, when they are shifted from neutral into first gear.

The reason is because of the way they transmit power from the clutch to the output sprocket.

The gears have several projections or lugs sticking out of the side of each gear. When that gear is not being used, the lugs on the output gear are not engaged with the lugs on the adjacent driven gear.
When you shift gears to engage that gear ratio, one of the gears slides sideways and its lugs mate with the lugs on the gear right next to it essentially temporally locking them together.
Because the gears are rotating at different speeds, a clunk sound may be heard as the lugs first engage.

Usually, if the engine speed is right for the next gear ratio to be engaged, the gears and their lugs will be rotating at close to the same speed so they will engage without a noise.

The clunk you may hear when you first shift the newly started motorcycle into first gear from neutral is due to the fact that the input shaft is rotating but the output shaft is stationary.
If the clutch plates are sticking together as is often the case with a wet clutch, that can increase the noise.
If your motorcycle has a kick starter, these sticking clutch disks can be loosened by pulling in the clutch and kicking the kick starter thru a stroke.
For you riders without a kick starter, you could shift the motorcycle into 1st or 2nd gear before starting the engine and then pull in the clutch. Holding the clutch in, move the motorcycle forward or backward a little. That will break the sticking clutch disks apart to allow them to freely slip when the clutch lever is pulled in.
For most of us, doing this is too much bother so we start the engine, pull in the clutch lever and shift the transmission into first gear with a loud clunk.
Not to worry. The transmission lugs are designed to withstand this sort of abuse so ride on and enjoy the ride.

Squeaking front brakes can be caused from the brake pads becoming worn out so it is a good idea to have them checked or to check them yourself.

On some disk brakes, you can see the pads if you use a flashlight (torch) to illuminate the area between the disk and the brake pads and peek into that area.
Some calipers also have the rear area open so the brake pads can be seen thru that open area.

You will be looking for the distance between the brake pads steel backing plate and the disk. If the gap looks like it is less than 2 mm, the pads should be replaced.

Another cause of squeaking disk brakes is an accumulation of dust between the pads and the disk. Using compressed air, most of this dust can be blown away.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 10th October 2018 at 22:17.
ArizonaJim is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 13:38   #168
BHPian

In addition to the above post, specifically on the Duke 390 -

1. The correct clutch play, chain play and chain lubrication has a huge role in the quality of shifts. Especially around Neutral, First and Second gears. If the above factors are correct, the shifts are smooth as butter.

2. The newer D390 has a tendency to squeal from the front when prolonged mild braking is performed (say from 80 kmph to 20 kmph) using moderate pull on the lever. However the same braking performed under hard braking will NOT squeal. Don't know why this happens. Maybe it has something to do with the newer Duke having sintered pads. Not something I am especially bothered about since I naturally do not have a tendency to go mild and long on the brakes.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 15:31   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
In addition to the above post, specifically on the Duke 390 -

1. The correct clutch play, chain play and chain lubrication has a huge role in the quality of shifts. Especially around Neutral, First and Second gears. If the above factors are correct, the shifts are smooth as butter.

2. The newer D390 has a tendency to squeal from the front when prolonged mild braking is performed (say from 80 kmph to 20 kmph) using moderate pull on the lever. However the same braking performed under hard braking will NOT squeal. Don't know why this happens. Maybe it has something to do with the newer Duke having sintered pads. Not something I am especially bothered about since I naturally do not have a tendency to go mild and long on the brakes.

So the squealing issue is indeed a common one! The one you described is one of the 2 or 3 different scenarios in which the squealing happens - I have observed this as well.
Old 20th October 2018, 12:51   #170
BHPian

390 owners from Mumbai, need some information. Which KTM service center is the best from a servicing perspective? I stay in Kandivali and the bike was bought from KTM Andheri East. I'm going to get the first service done soon.

Distance is no bar and I'm ok with traveling long distance to get the servicing done, since I aim to build a long term relationship with the SAs. Pointers will be helpful.
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:50   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharatravan View Post
390 owners from Mumbai, need some information. Which KTM service center is the best from a servicing perspective? I stay in Kandivali and the bike was bought from KTM Andheri East. I'm going to get the first service done soon.

Distance is no bar and I'm ok with traveling long distance to get the servicing done, since I aim to build a long term relationship with the SAs. Pointers will be helpful.
You might want to try out KTM Chembur. They are good from what i've seen and heard from others. Can ask for Neeraj/Sachin there.
Try avoiding on Saturdays since there will be quite some rush best to go early if unavoidable.

Cheers

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 23rd October 2018 at 10:51. Reason: Added few points.
Old 20th December 2020, 20:44   #172
BHPian

I own 2013 D390 and facing fork seal leakage after multiple replacements also. The new fork seal not holding more than 1000km. Tried multiple mechanic and no help till now.
Anyone knows a good FNG for ktm in Bangalore?
Old 20th December 2020, 21:35   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
I own 2013 D390 and facing fork seal leakage after multiple replacements also. The new fork seal not holding more than 1000km. Tried multiple mechanic and no help till now.
You can try highlander if you stay near the HSR area.

Or try Lakshmi Bike Service in Hebbal, if you stay in North BANGALORE.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 21:46   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Or try Lakshmi Bike Service in Hebbal, if you stay in North BANGALORE.
Thanks. I stay in HSR and never knew about this place. Will check with them soon.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:22   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Highlander has very good reviews from many bikers I know. You can also try Raymond's Garage in Koramangala, I have taken my bikes to him several times and always been very happy with the work done there.

Google maps location is here.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 15:51   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thank you so much for suggesting Highlander. Karthik is gem of a person and very professional guy.
I also upgraded entire clutch assembly to slipper clutch and used EBC brake pad for front. Also replaced rear tyre with Appolo alpha h1 series which is W rated tyre.
Slipper clutch - ~5k
EBC brake pad - 3k
Rear tyre - 6k

Did the radiator flush and am currently using engine ice coolant.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-20201225_122341.jpg  

Kashi053 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks