Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 11:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

Hey Abhijeet,

Thanks for the link and the info about the sprocket sizes. I got confused as some web links (https://www.rushlane.com/new-ktm-duk...-12236839.html, https://www.motoroids.com/reviews/ne...-belligerence/) state that rear sprocket has gone down 1 teeth to 44T.

Anyways, I am happy to get it cleared from an actual owner

Cheers
Old 7th July 2017, 14:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
Thanks.

The sprocket set is same 15/45. It is mentioned on the KTM website but nowhere on the manual. By the way, there is no paper manual available now. Its available as a soft copy at http://ktmdukeweb.gladminds.co/

It is the retuned engine that leads to the change in behaviour. Take a test ride. You will know it immediately.
In case someone wants to download the full thing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpbf3k6x0l...anual.zip?dl=0
farhadtarapore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 15:13   #33
BHPian

After an early morning ride in foggy Bangalore noticed condensation inside my TFT case. The service guys took a few pictures and said will forward it to KTM as they have noticed a few of these off late. Just a heads up in case you notice this in yours.
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 11:39   #34
BHPian

Got my orange naked on saturday. Most folks have already listed their experience. Here's a few points from me.
  1. Seat is very comfortable. It's a bit hard and provides great support for my haunches
  2. It gets really hot really fast. And yes, due to the bend pipe, the heat is much more near the left leg. Today in b2b traffic, it went up to 5 bars (usually it stays at the halfway mark, which is around 4 bars)
  3. Radiator fan is really loud
  4. No way to hang something on the handlebar due to the handlebar guards. Going to remove them at first service. Don't like them anyway.
  5. Suspension is simply superb. No sign of fatigue going over any kind of road
  6. Wifey said that the rear seat is (and I quote) "comfortable".
  7. No place to secure helmet. Contemplating getting a helmet lock fixed on one of the rear grab rails
  8. Bike accelerates like a demon. Very difficult to keep it tame in the run-in period
  9. Exhaust actually sounds good when you open up the throttle. It growls and wants to be revved
  10. Handlebar is quite wide but it still fits into tight places
  11. The tank shrouds probably get in the way of the handlebar and so executing U-turns is not that sharp. My Thunderbird could turn inwards a little more.
  12. TFT holding up well in the heavy rains. headlights have good power. Rode in the night without streetlights and didn't feel the need for auxiliary lights.
  13. Clutch is a bit hard (probably will get better after 1st service)
  14. Clutch lever, even though adjusted to '5' feels far to reach. Any suggestions for this? The "adjustable" levers don't actually adjust all that much to make a real difference. Thinking of putting "shorty" levers during 1st service.
  15. Switch gear feels smooth to operate and is of good quality
  16. Horn is feeble. Thunderbird had twin horns that sounded like a mini-train. This one sounds like a scooty pep. But I guess it's fine with all the noise-pollution awareness kicking in and probably also helps conserve battery.
  17. Bike is a bit high and me being 5'9" I can put both my feet flat on the ground.
  18. Due to sloping nature of seat, I find myself sitting against the fuel tank most of the time. When I realise it, I shift a little back. Seating position is comfortable and allows me to wriggle and shuffle while on the move.
  19. The metal chassis gets very very hot. Not so for the fuel tank. I grab the tank with my knees and it's comfortable and cool.
  20. Brakes are powerful. Enough to fling you over the bike if you hit them too hard. So ride enough and get a good feel of the brakes.
  21. Haven't needed ABS to kick in yet (thankfully)
  22. Tyres are amazing. Have ridden on gravel, slush and paved roads. Bike feels confident and stable. Well planted.

Looking forward to going on some long weekend rides organized by the dealer (KTM Andheri East).
farhadtarapore is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 16:37   #35
BHPian

I did a test ride this weekend. I have not ridden the older Duke 390 so can't really compare, but the seat is amazing, both rider and pillion. The seating posture for me (5.11) was just perfect. Did not find any issues with the placement of feet on the footrests.

Heating was quite prominent plus there were lot of footpeg vibrations felt at all RPMs. SA did say it's not serviced so should be one off case of abused TR bikes. Since my riding would be 90% highways, heat should not be an issue.

However I am very much keen to get some sort of backrest fitted for pillion. Top cases are quite expensive. A bit of googling, found out that Thunderbird backrest was used by some people on the older duke. My question is, is the positioning of grab rails similar to the older duke? Will it fit properly?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 16:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Got my orange naked on saturday. Most folks have already listed their experience. Here's a few points from me.
Congrats on your new bike! Agree with all the points mentioned. Except I find the clutch quite soft and the heat quite manageable especially when compared to the older version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
However I am very much keen to get some sort of backrest fitted for pillion. Top cases are quite expensive. A bit of googling, found out that Thunderbird backrest was used by some people on the older duke. My question is, is the positioning of grab rails similar to the older duke? Will it fit properly?
No, both bikes have different grab rail design and position.

Last edited by abhijeet080808 : 10th July 2017 at 16:53.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 13:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonjeeper View Post
Could you please kindly confirm whether the rear sprocket is 47T and whether the chain is 520 X 112 / 114 links from the manual?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonjeeper View Post
Thanks for the link and the info about the sprocket sizes. I got confused as some web links state that rear sprocket has gone down 1 teeth to 44T.

I guess you already have the answer by now but the new Duke has 44 teeth, instead of the older one which had 45 at the rear sprocket.
No clue about the chain links.

Last edited by sammyboy : 18th July 2017 at 13:37.
Old 27th July 2017, 08:24   #38
BHPian

Hello, what is the service schedule for the 2017 duke 390? The online "manual" has left it blank for some reason: http://ktmdukeweb.gladminds.co/390/s..._schedule.html

The first service is at 500kms or 1000kms (or 45 days, whichever is earlier) ?
Old 28th July 2017, 09:48   #39
BHPian

Hello all,

I will get my 2017 KTM Duke 390 delivered in a week's time. I have a few questions to ask the folks out here:

1. Is there a specific PDI list that I should look in to before getting delivery? I remember seeing a PDI thread for motorcycles some days back (with an Yamaha in the picture), but I couldn't find it now.

2. During the TR, I found the horn to be pathetic. I live in an area that is densely populated and I am thinking about upgrading to dual tone horns. Any suggestions?

3. I have posted this question in another thread but unfortunately didn't get reply. So here we go once again. When I inquired about the probable future update roll-out for the TFT display to support navigation, the showroom guy had no idea. Any information on this regard from your respective SVC?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 28th July 2017, 11:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkamal View Post
Hello all,

I will get my 2017 KTM Duke 390 delivered in a week's time. I have a few questions to ask the folks out here:

1. Is there a specific PDI list that I should look in to before getting delivery? I remember seeing a PDI thread for motorcycles some days back (with an Yamaha in the picture), but I couldn't find it now.

2. During the TR, I found the horn to be pathetic. I live in an area that is densely populated and I am thinking about upgrading to dual tone horns. Any suggestions?

3. I have posted this question in another thread but unfortunately didn't get reply. So here we go once again. When I inquired about the probable future update roll-out for the TFT display to support navigation, the showroom guy had no idea. Any information on this regard from your respective SVC?

Many thanks in advance.
1. You can follow the PDI mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

2. I kinda like the horn. There's anyway too much noise pollution and especially in a densely populated area, you don't want to add to the chaos. But that's just my point of view. I truly don't like people honking from behind knowing that I wouldn't be walking in the middle of the road if I had any other option.

3. I too asked about the navigation, but they said "it's not for that". So I assume there's not going to be support for the same anytime soon. But since it's all software driven and bluetooth pairing exists already, mirroring the phone's sat-nav is a definite possibility.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 11:26   #41
BHPian

Hi farhadtarapore, thank you for your answers
Quote:
1. You can follow the PDI mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html
I am already in to this thread, but i remember seeing a dedicated PDI thread for motorcycles.
Quote:
2. I kinda like the horn. There's anyway too much noise pollution and especially in a densely populated area, you don't want to add to the chaos. But that's just my point of view. I truly don't like people honking from behind knowing that I wouldn't be walking in the middle of the road if I had any other option.
Totally agree with your point here, but I live in a place where people jump in to the middle of the street from nowhere and then complain me as to why I didn't honk. The CEAT advert perfectly suits for my locality

Quote:
3. I too asked about the navigation, but they said "it's not for that". So I assume there's not going to be support for the same anytime soon. But since it's all software driven and bluetooth pairing exists already, mirroring the phone's sat-nav is a definite possibility.
I think KTM really needs to consider this update, as it will be very useful. I am sure, 99% of the guys never listen to music when riding a 2 wheeler.

One more question, I see that the engine numbers and chassis numbers are pasted in the form of stickers on the frame on the Duke 390. AFAIK, these numbers are engraved on to the engine/ chassis generally so that it cannot be tampered. Is it normal?

Last edited by vjkamal : 28th July 2017 at 11:34. Reason: Missed out an additional question, for which I do not want to add a new reply..
Old 30th July 2017, 12:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkamal View Post
One more question, I see that the engine numbers and chassis numbers are pasted in the form of stickers on the frame on the Duke 390. AFAIK, these numbers are engraved on to the engine/ chassis generally so that it cannot be tampered. Is it normal?
The numbers are engraved as well on the engine and on the chassis. The additional stickers are for easier identification.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:59   #43
BHPian

My console is showing fuel efficiency of 16.5 kmpl. Bike has done about 450kms so far. And am not even ripping it (well, occasionally). Is this like the benchmark FE in city riding? Would it improve after first service?
Old 31st July 2017, 18:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My console is showing fuel efficiency of 16.5 kmpl. Bike has done about 450kms so far. And am not even ripping it (well, occasionally). Is this like the benchmark FE in city riding? Would it improve after first service?
Its too low. Have you tried tankful to tankful yet?
Old 31st July 2017, 19:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Its too low. Have you tried tankful to tankful yet?
Yes, this is the 3rd tankful. I reach 2 bars (Low fuel warning comes on) within about 180kms whereas after the tankful, it shows full range as 260kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks