Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 08:56   #76
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
[*]Good ride quality, absorbs the bumps well.
Quote:
[*]Poor straight line stability, the rear keeps moving around.[*]Would have preferred more feedback from the front, I am not sure if this will improve, as the tyres are still new.
I believe you need to stiffen up the rear spring. I feel the bike to be taut and stable with the rear set at 5 click and more comfortable but slightly wallowy feel with the rear set at 3 click. My weight is 75 kg. Also, keep BOTH wheels at 30 psi and nothing more.

Quote:
[*]Heat as is already known, within 500 meters from the showroom on the way to the house, I felt the engine is on fire. The best way to keep the engine cool is by riding fast.
You will get used to it. Trust me, its way better than the older version.

Quote:
[*]Poor lights, for some it might be acceptable I am not one of them.
They just do the job. Not upto night touring standards.

Quote:
[*]Bluetooth isnt pairing with my Nexus6P, tried with other phones also still same issue.[*]Sometimes the gear indicator on the console vanishes. Stop and restart and it shows up again.
Mine pairs fine. I have a OnePlus 3T. The gear indicator works fine 100% of the time for me.

Quote:
[*]Poor low end, the rider just has to learn to keep down/up shifting gears.
Try and keep the RPM above 4k at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Yes, initially it's a huge pile on but trust my words - you will eventually get used to it and it won't bother you at all, say after another 2k kms or so.
+1

Quote:
I get a weird noise from the front, am unable to figure out from where the sound is coming
I am too facing a vibey sound at around 4k rpm. It feels like it is from the radiator shroud or the LED headlight console. I have not yet gotten around to diagnosing it.

Last edited by abhijeet080808 : 28th August 2017 at 08:59.
abhijeet080808 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 19:58   #77
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
As someone who has owned this machine for 3 years and counting, I'd request you to not ride fast just to cool the engine.

Yes, initially it's a huge pile on but trust my words - you will eventually get used to it and it won't bother you at all, say after another 2k kms or so.

I'd rather have you shifting at normal RPMs and riding sedately so that the engine doesn't heat up super fast instead of you riding quick to cool it.
Thanks, this approach seems to be working fine. By the way when I said fast I just meant shifting gears above 4k rpm.

Some more new issues are showing up. The console seems to be extremely buggy on the Duke, I had crossed 200kms on the way to home, at a signal, the display all of a sudden restarted and reduced the odo by 15 kms
Now it is showing again 196kms, it reduced around 15 kms from the original running. Now if this keeps happening tracking the bike running is going to be a nightmare. Not sure how I can convince the KTM service center guys of this issue.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 23:31   #78
rbp
BHPian

Update :-

Had taken the bike to the service center, to my luck, was able to reproduce the gear indicator vanishing act right in front of them, they took a snap of the console.
Another incident happened today, the engine malfunction indicator started glowing and went off on its own after a good 10 to 15 mins.

Met another Duke owner at the service center and guess what, he too was having the odo reset issue . I have been told they might replace the console incase there is no new software update from KTM. Mine is anyways running on the latest firmware.

To summarise, the following are the issues with the console on my bike
  1. Vanishing gear indicator.
  2. Bluetooth unable to pair.
  3. Engine malfunction light turning on and off on its own during rides.
  4. Odo resetting.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 01:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Vanishing gear indicator.
  2. Bluetooth unable to pair.
  3. Engine malfunction light turning on and off on its own during rides.
  4. Odo resetting.
I have the vanishing gear indicator and Odo Reset ones. Haven't paired my BT yet.

I am out on travel and will try taking it for service once I am back in India. Let us know if the issues got fixed
Old 1st September 2017, 21:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Have had the Duke for a week but hardly had time to ride.I had the vanishing gear indicator once, but after that i havent looked at the console. Paired the phone, used the bike to play songs on the Sena - Check, heard songs for 10 seconds to see if it works.

I love the way the bike moves, super light and flickable. Took it through all the water and slush I could find today, great fun lol. Also found a way to shut the fan up, ride fast through water and let the water spray all over the radiator. That shuts it up.
Need to use the clutch quite a bit at low speeds and gear 1-2, but a light slipper clutch helps there. It hates anything below 3K rpm, a pleasure over that.

Will probably be away for a few days now, more when i get back into the saddle.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:38   #81
rbp
BHPian

Update

I have done 500+ kms, my thoughts so far
  1. I changed the oil and oil filter at 167 kms, I usually do it for all the vehicles that I have owned, the heat seems to have settled down after that.
  2. In one of my previous updates I had mentioned the front end feedback isn't great, now after 500+ kms the tyres have run-in properly now and provide amazing grip and feedback.
  3. The rider seat though soft isn't comfortable for long rides, the bum gets numb after an hours ride, I need to keep standing up frequently just to get rid of the numbness. Anyone who wants to tour on the duke, would suggest them to get rideonair seat.
  4. The bike huffs and puffs below 4k rpm, but I have got used to it, I don't mind it.
  5. The handle bar is wide, I cannot cut through traffic as easily as I had imagined. Planning to get rid of the hand guards shortly.
  6. The handle bar grips are the best, they have an amazing feel, soft yet grippy, love them.
  7. The front suspension is good at absorbing bumps, the rear is pathetic, ride over broken roads and every shock is transmitted to your spine. After the recent non stop rains, Bangalore roads are unrideable. Has anyone tried the Ohlins KT303.
  8. I am extremely satisfied with the Fuel Efficiency, during peak hours I get an FE of around 25+ kmpl, on the highways it goes past 30+ kmpl.
rbp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 14:21   #82
BHPian

So, mine has covered some 1500 kms till date.

List of niggles encountered till now -

1. Low Oil Pressure indicator comes up intermittently if rev is below 4k rpm for a long time (stuck in traffic scenario). If the bike is blipped past 4k rpm, the issue goes away. Not too bothered about this.

2. Misting inside the console. The right and left edges of the console has condensation forming on the inside. I am not sure what can be done here. Ideas?
abhijeet080808 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 18:33   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post

1. Low Oil Pressure indicator comes up intermittently if rev is below 4k rpm for a long time (stuck in traffic scenario). If the bike is blipped past 4k rpm, the issue goes away. Not too bothered about this.

2. Misting inside the console. The right and left edges of the console has condensation forming on the inside. I am not sure what can be done here. Ideas?
Issue 1 is a faulty oil pressure switch which has been confirmed on most dukes. Replace under warranty.

Issue 2 is a straight away console replacement. However many have reported that installing the new one also showed misting inside.
Old 7th September 2017, 20:26   #84
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post

Even I have problem 1. Just waiting for first service.
Old 8th September 2017, 16:00   #85
BHPian

Misting inside the console is fine (Apparently) since it's happening with almost everyone's Duke. Mine showed a couple of weird issues - just once it has happened:
  1. After parking the bike, the headlights remained ON despite removing the key. This happened after I was pulling into my parking place, put the bike in neutral and turned the ignition key off. It's never happened again. Got resolved after I switched the bike on and turned it off again. Some glitch.
  2. Bike is giving 20kmpl consistently in city traffic despite first service. Of course, I rip it quite often and it's ususally hovering over 5000-6000rpm. But then, below 4000rpm, the bike is quite jerky and a pain to ride.
  3. There was one issue in which in the "dark" theme (after daylight), the impression of the speed number used to remain on the display even though the number is changing. So if speed shows as 20, when it becomes 10, the outline of the "2" continues to show for some time. It happened just once.

Misting happened in my console too but as soon as the sun shines, it dries up quickly. And it was only at the corner, not on the display.
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 23:19   #86
BHPian

My 2017 D390 is dead after two weeks of non-use

I was traveling outside India for two weeks (probably a couple of days less) and when I decided to take my bike to work today, it refused to start.

Will call orange assist tomorrow. I had just finished the first service before I went for my trip, and when I got back, I don't have a working bike.

The engine doesn't start at all. Cranking is trying to start the engine, but engine doesn't come to life. Thinking of buying some Honda bike as a backup.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 23:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
My 2017 D390 is dead after two weeks of non-use

I was traveling outside India for two weeks (probably a couple of days less) and when I decided to take my bike to work today, it refused to start.

Will call orange assist tomorrow. I had just finished the first service before I went for my trip, and when I got back, I don't have a working bike.

The engine doesn't start at all. Cranking is trying to start the engine, but engine doesn't come to life. Thinking of buying some Honda bike as a backup.
Well, finally we have the same bike but in two different cities now lol. I just got back after a week, haven't had a chance to start the bike yet, hopefully tomorrow, hoping it should start.

Thankfully decided to retain the Ninja, it's been the definition of reliable over the last 7 years.
Will report tomorrow on how it goes.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 23:32   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Well, finally we have the same bike but in two different cities now lol. I just got back after a week, haven't had a chance to start the bike yet, hopefully tomorrow, hoping it should start.

Thankfully decided to retain the Ninja, it's been the definition of reliable over the last 7 years.
Will report tomorrow on how it goes.
Didn't realize you have moved to different city! I was planning on sending a PM on our long pending ride

I am guessing my bike not starting is a on-off incident. All the best
Old 8th September 2017, 23:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Didn't realize you have moved to different city! I was planning on sending a PM on our long pending ride

I am guessing my bike not starting is a on-off incident. All the best
Haha just wasn't destined to happen, but hey you never know
Will look forward to your post on how the orange assist assists you.
I would have done a push start once though, I know it's not recommended on fi blah blah but I just can't digest a bike not cranking due to low battery. Too old school i guess lol but probably won't work in your case if it's absolutely dead. I tried it once or twice at low batt when the fuel pump was coming on but bike wasn't starting and it worked.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th September 2017 at 23:43.
Old 8th September 2017, 23:49   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
There was one issue in which in the "dark" theme (after daylight), the impression of the speed number used to remain on the display even though the number is changing. So if speed shows as 20, when it becomes 10, the outline of the "2" continues to show for some time. It happened just once.
It is there on every 2017 Duke. It is a very subtle ghosting effect. Kind of like seeing an old school calculator from the wrong angle where all the digits show up faintly.

Quote:
Misting happened in my console too but as soon as the sun shines, it dries up quickly. And it was only at the corner, not on the display.
Mine has been parked in a basement parking most of the time. Maybe that has caused the misting to stay on for an extended amount of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks