Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2017, 21:21   #1
BHPian

Which scooter to buy for short commutes?

Hello all,

I have been thinking about buying a scooter for some time now and finally decided to take the plunge.

I already have 4 cars and a bike in my garage and so this scooter will be minimally used for those short market runs, last mile metro to home connectivity and the like which is becoming tougher and tougher to do with a car. It will strictly be driven in city covering short radius of distance.

My requirements are: Smooth driveability, low maintenance, good looks and something which can even by driven by the women of the house.

Since, it'll be a secondary vehicle, I would like to keep the budget as low as possible.

Which scooter do you suggest?

Following are the ones I considered in order of preference:
1. TVS Jupiter.
2. Honda Activa 4G
3. Honda Activa 125.
4. Suzuki Access 125.

I'm also open to considering Hero, Yamaha but haven't added them in my list above since I have not been able to interact with someone who owns them or can provide review.

Mods, please merge with an existing thread, if any. I feel the replies here will be helpful to many other potential buyers.
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 10:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I have ridden all barring the Jupiter and here is my view:

1. Both the hondas have terrible acceleration qualities.
2. The suspension is godawful.
3. The only feather in the cap is the CBS which is fantastic.
4. The access 125 has superb acceleration.
5. I locked the drum brake set up on a 125 and skidded to a halt. There's too much power for those puny wheels and brake set up. I have not ridden the disc version, i guess its better. But wheel lock up is not justified.
4. I dont know which state you are in, but have you looked at the Honda Cliq? Telescope suspension means similar comfort to the Access, its also as light, and has the honda CBS.

Does anyone here own the Honda Cliq, really looking forward to an ownership review.

On road bangalore has been confirmed at 51k, but no sight of the scooter yet.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2017 at 12:56. Reason: Typo
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 12:30   #3
BHPian

re: Which scooter to buy for short commutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
I have been thinking about buying a scooter.

I already have 4 cars and a bike in my garage and so this scooter will be minimally used for those short market runs,

My requirements are: Smooth drive-ability, low maintenance, good looks and something which can even by driven by the women of the house.

Which scooter do you suggest?
Hello,

Here are my inputs after using Jupiter for 2 years. Its a no nonsense scoot and I have not faced any problems whatsoever till date. I do the service every 7/8 months and use only Motul 300v fully synthetic oil.

Putting the Jupiter on the main stand is very easy compared to any other scooter. Whenever you go for the test-ride try this feature which is patented by TVS, although side stand is always the easier option but among'st all the scooters this is the easiest to put on main stand.

The bigger tyres, front telescopic suspension, external fuel lid, bigger foot board area, dual side handle lock, mobile charging point, low fuel and eco power mode, pass headlight switch etc are the additional features. The best feature would be the super refined engine among'st all other scooters IMO. I am very impressed with TVS for producing such smooth engine with a more than decent pickup and mid-range power.

I would totally recommend it over all the other scooters you have mentioned above.

The other scooters which we liked were the Access, Hero Maestro and Fascino but my wife felt the most comfortable on the Jupiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. Both the hondas have terrible acceleration qualities.
2. The suspension is godawful.
3. The only feather in the cap is the CBS which is fantastic.
4. The access 125 is superb acceleration.
Totally agree with your Honda observations, also I would like to add the worst attitude of Honda dealers and the incapacity of Honda service centers due to sheer sales. This turns out to be a bad ownership experience. Although all the previous gen Activa's have proven to be the best. But the competition just does it better today.

The Access indeed is a good scooter with such a competitive pricing and the 125 engine, for me it was between the two to choose but the new version had not launched back in 2015, and I did not want all that extra power, hence we bought the Jupiter as it has decent acceleration ability and all round capability, with the tried and tested TVS reliability.
The Great is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 12:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I have ridden all barring the jupiter and here is my view
1) The Activa 125 has absolutely great acceleration capability. The Activa 4G is no slouch either. Do enlighten me on what made you say this statement.
2) Agree for the 4G but the 125 is not bad.
3) That is true
4) Yes it does, but the Activa 125 was the fastest accelerating 125 CC scooter until the new Access came along. That too being because the access is smaller and lighter. Also since i have ridden both, the Activa has an urgency while accelerating whereas the Access is slightly linear and provides a more jerkless drive.
5) Depends on how you ride the scooty
6) The Activa 125 too has a telescopic setup.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2017 at 12:58. Reason: Trimming quoted post
CarLoverJosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Hi,

I would also like to bring one more Tvs model to your notice. Tvs Wego is also a very competent model and is a unisex one at that. Tvs has really easy main stand design patented by the name of EZ stand which proves very beneficial for the fairer sex too.
Accius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 17:47   #6
BHPian

I own the Yamaha Ray-ZR since the August 2016. My requirements were absolutely same as yours. Very short market runs to avoid traffic and parking hassles, grocery shopping and metro drops. I loved the looks and have not come across any issues till date. The service bills have hovered between 0-350 till now. The only major grouse is to get the scooter serviced every 2 months (Max 70 days) which I hate considering I do not run it much (Run it less than 1000 kms till now).

You can go for this option too if you don't find the styling too flamboyant.

Last edited by model-t : 19th August 2017 at 17:49.
model-t is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 18:12   #7
BANNED

Quote:
My requirements are: Smooth driveability, low maintenance, good looks and something which can even by driven by the women of the house.
I have the Activa 125 standard variant since 1.2 years and she has clocked ~5,000 kms. Majorly driven by my BIL and some supermarket trips by the ladies at home.

I have not visited the ASC after 1st service and prefer to do it myself. Hate the ASC.

Engine is pretty smooth and so is the driveability.

Love the telescopic suspension on the 125 compared to the trailing arm in the 4G.

Looks subjective, can't comment on that.

Price, yes on the higher side I must say.

Here's the ownership review of my Activa 125

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ing-white.html
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 18:26   #8
BHPian

As you said this will be your secondary vehicle, minimal usage and low on budget, why don't you go for Scooty Pep+ or Scooty Zest? Pep+ is low on power, whereas Zest has same engine as that of Jupiter's. Zest is not as refined as Jupiter.

Suzuki Lets is another fabulous scooter with powerful and very refined 110cc engine. It is very underrated scooter.

From Hero stable you have Pleasure. But it has uncomfortable front suspension setup.

All the above scooters are cheaper and not full size. But I believe you don't need one considering your usage and mostly it will be ridden solo.
StepUP! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 22:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I have ridden all barring the jupiter and here is my view:

Does anyone here own the honda cliq, really looking forward to an ownership review.

On road bangalore has been confirmed at 51k, but no sight of the scooter yet.
Thanks for your valuable observations.
Well, I'm from Delhi so I'm sure if Cliq becomes available, it will be available here. I'll check with the deal. I however did find the front a bit ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
The other scooters which we liked were the Access, Hero Maestro and Fascino but my wife felt the most comfortable on the Jupiter.
Your feedback gives me confidence as I'm strongly considering Jupiter. Any particular reason for rejecting Maestro and Fascino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by model-t View Post
I own the Yamaha Ray-ZR since the August 2016.

The only major grouse is to get the scooter serviced every 2 months.
I was looking forward to hear from someone owning a Ray-ZR. This is the exact reason I mentioned Yamaha in my post.

Why is the service frequency so high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accius View Post
Tvs Wego is also a very competent model and is a unisex one at that.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider the Wego, however I rejected it as it's heavier than Jupiter due the metal body and more expensive also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Price, yes on the higher side I must say.

Here's the ownership review of my Activa 125

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ing-white.html
Price is one factor making me less confident about Activa. The rest are, poor ASS and the fact it's way too common!

I have read your ownership review previously, shall be going through it again, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
As you said this will be your secondary vehicle, minimal usage and low on budget, why don't you go for Scooty Pep+ or Scooty Zest? Pep+ is low on power, whereas Zest has same engine as that of Jupiter's. Zest is not as refined as Jupiter.

Suzuki Lets is another fabulous scooter with powerful and very refined 110cc engine. It is very underrated scooter.

From Hero stable you have Pleasure. But it has uncomfortable front suspension setup.

All the above scooters are cheaper and not full size. But I believe you don't need one considering your usage and mostly it will be ridden solo.
I saw these scooters online but didn't really took them into consideration. Your point makes sense so I'll probably test these scooters too! Thanks!
Old 19th August 2017, 23:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Your feedback gives me confidence as I'm strongly considering Jupiter. Any particular reason for rejecting Maestro and Fascino?

Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider the Wego, however I rejected it as it's heavier than Jupiter due the metal body and more expensive also.
No reason for not choosing Maestro and Fascino. Basically Maestro that time was Activa in different clothes I guess and Fascino was very new, I liked it but my wife didn't so end of story

Wego is also great, the weight difference is only 1 kg between the Wego and Jupiter and Jupiter also has Metal body, only the front is plastic. Wego also has the body balance tech.

I would suggest you take your wife along and do all the test rides.

On paper a lot of things may look good but in person you may like a scoot which might not have so many features, but it appeals to you more than the others.

All the best !
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 01:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:

I was looking forward to hear from someone owning a Ray-ZR. This is the exact reason I mentioned Yamaha in my post.

Why is the service frequency so high?
I think it is high it the first year and then tapers down from the second year onwards. All the free services are in the first year.

That being said, I have been very satisfied with my ownership till now. I picked up the one Disk brakes and everything from the initial acceleration , seat comfort and braking is adequate for my needs.
Old 21st August 2017, 09:08   #12
BANNED

I'll skip the Honda simply because its way too overrated, but if you still insist on keeping it as an option then do consider the Honda Cliq, at least the price is justified.

I've owned and ridden the TVS Wego for 18K kms after which I had to trade it off at IDV due to an accident.

The performance of the Wego is outright mind blowing, and that means something coming from me as I weigh over a 100 kg's at best and I travel with luggage most of the time. We even attended the 2016 xBhp ISG2G together, which was a first as no one before had ever attempted the same on a Scooter.

SCOOTY TO OOTY

The Jupiter is identical to the Wego when it comes to performance and though lacks a trip meter, comes with a pass switch which is a boon for highway riding. So as far as the products go, TVS is awesome in terms of VFM, quality and performance but the same cannot be said about after sales support but that might be limited to my state, hence it would be better if you do some research about the same.

As for Access, well it packs a lot of grunt down low, which is good if you're heavy and your pillion is as well and if you both enjoy climbing inclines all day long or drag racing from light to light. But unless you intend to haul some serious weight, investing in a 125cc scooter doesn’t make much sense considering the FE, as the higher displacement only favours FE on long hauls.

When you come to think of it the Access is an Activa made by Suzuki with marginally better after sales support, which again is subjective to location.

Happy Riding!
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 09:28   #13
BHPian

If you are looking for a low budget reliable ride, then the Jupiter/Wego is something will surely fit the bill. I personally have has the Activa and Activa 125 (currently have) and those are surely good but I feel for your usage, you cannot go wrong with the TVS twins. They are surely VFM if you ask me
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 10:22   #14
BHPian

Another big recommendation for Jupiter. I had similar requirements when buying scooter for my dad couple of years back and it has been 0 problem scooter. Does what is required without any fuss. Based on my recommendation, there are 4 Jupiters in my friend and relative circle and everyone is happy.
You can also check out Wego which is more suitable for women/shorter riders.
Old 21st August 2017, 13:11   #15
BHPian

Re: Which scooter to buy for short commutes?

One visit to a Honda dealer is all that is required to get Activa out of any self respecting individual's list.
Yes, its a very popular model, and is immensely successful, but customer is actually a buyer and is paying money. The staff in Honda apparently thinks you are there to get their scooter for free.

I own a TVS jupiter and found it more comfortable than Activa ( never ridden Activa 125). Mileage is good, decent pickup, and all practical comforts like external fuel filling, mobile charging point, good storage space etc. ASS staff also has been very cooperative.
Did test drive Suzuki Access too, but Jupiter was more practical for me -- price and proximity to the dealer and service centers.

Most Viewed