Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 18:43   #1
BHPian

2017 KTM Duke 390 - Plagued by battery problems?

I am yet to pen down my ownership review of 2017 Duke 390 - Just to give a bit of history, I am a big fan of KTMs and I was one of the earliest owner of the first Duke 390 (2013) [Ownership Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ke-390-a.html]

I got tempted by the 2017 D390, and took the plunge after selling my D390 to an enthusiast in my close friend's network. My initial impressions with 2017 D390 are *EXTREMELY POSITIVE* - It is a wonderful bike, and I am having a lot of fun with the bike.

The Problem - First instance

I finished my quota of 900+ kms and eagerly rushed to the first service (to rev harder after the first service)

Due to rains, I didn't use it for a few days, and when I started, it refused to. I checked the console, and it turned on, the lights turned on but the bike refused to start. So, I assumed it got to do with starter coil or some other electronic gadgetry. After a couple of days (due to my work commitments), I called Orange Assist, and they sent across someone to investigate - I was told that if they'd jump start it, I'll have to ride the bike to service center else, if they couldn't jump start it, then they'll arrange a way to transport it to service center. Some policy!

The Orange Assist guy came and did his bit of investigation, and said that some line was shorting that's why the battery was draining. He jump-started the vehicle and asked me to idle for 20+ mins. He also told me that he had fixed this issue (shorting) so I don't need to worry.

Second Instance
I had to travel outside country for almost two weeks (couple of days less). I decided to ride the bike close-by for breakfast after I landed, and then when I decided to return the bike refused to start

I would have been happier if it had refused to start at home. Now, I couldn't leave the bike there out in the road - So, I decided to push it back for a little less than 2 kms. This was not fun. I finally managed to call the Orange Assist today, and they jump-started it. And this time, after 20 min idling, I rode to KTM Mekhri Circle (Bangalore) and dropped it for service. The funny thing is that I used to laugh loud looking at the Amp-meter in Bullets. I think it is bad karma that now I have put the battery voltage in the configurable instrument cluster

Wide-spread Problem?
When I dropped the bike and described the problem, there was no element of surprise for the service advisors.

Then I found someone else there with the IDENTICAL problem. What are the odds?

One of the service guys there acknowledged that this problem is unfortunately found in a 'few' (?) D390s

I don't think KTM realizes that this issue is serious. People could ride long distances, stop for dinner in some odd place and realize that they are stuck in the middle of nowhere. My confidence is dented enough for this one (at least for the short term) not to take it anywhere long.

I'll keep you all posted on the updates from KTM. I think KTM / Bajaj didn't do proper QA or compromised on component quality. Feeling let down.

Battery Voltage when I had to push the vehicle (7.6 V)
2017 KTM Duke 390 - Plagued by battery problems?-img_5255.jpg

I also have a video of voltage falling from 13.1V to 12.4V - I don't know if this is normal, but I recorded it at KTM service center (after riding it for almost an hour) - Will convert it into right format and upload (currently TBHP says invalid format)
This is the video where the voltage falls from 13.1 to 12.4 (It started at 13.3 V and I left when it had fallen to 11.9)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th October 2017 at 00:58. Reason: Removing excessive spacing
sriramv.iyer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 2017 KTM Duke 390 - Plagued by battery problems?

Sorry to hear your troubles with the Duke Sriram, maybe we could also use this thread to capture all issues and fixes for the new Duke? Would give a comprehensive go to thread for 390 owners.
Looking forward to your duke getting back on road soon.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: 2017 KTM Duke 390 - Plagued by battery problems?

Sriram,

Looks like a case of failed battery or battery from a poor batch. Also can you check the resting current drawn from the battery. Are there any accessories that are connected to the bike. My bike with an alarm that draws trickle current drains the battery if not used in a week and riding alone doesn't easily fix the issue but one has to remove and charge the battery.

This clearly looks like an issue with this particular battery. The resting current test will help determine how much the bike is consuming at rest and that can help determine any shorts or even poorly connected standard devices.
Also, check if the battery is feeling warm or warmer, post a ride. That will also help eliminate any stator/generator related issues.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th October 2017 at 00:58.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Re: 2017 KTM Duke 390 - Plagued by battery problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

Wide-spread Problem?
When I dropped the bike and described the problem, there was no element of surprise for the service advisors.

Then I found someone else there with the IDENTICAL problem. What are the odds?

One of the service guys there acknowledged that this problem is unfortunately found in a 'few' (?) D390s

What brand is the battery? And do all KTMs come with the same brand? Other owners can confirm. Also if it's the case of a bad batch of batteries, can you please check if the other owner whom you met at the SC bought the bike at the same time as you?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

So there was some juice in the battery to power up the console but was there enough juice to prime the fuel line i.e. did the fuel pump power up?

If it did manage to prime the fuel line, you should still be able to do a "dhakka" start.

Could be a faulty RR unit causing the battery not be fully charged. I had the exact issue with my 220 Fi back in 2007. The battery would loose charge even while the bike was in motion. I was riding from Chennai to BLR for my second service IIRC, and from Hosur onwards the revs would start dying. Luckily the bike finally died about 2 Kms before the SVC center so I could push it the remaining distance.
If the Mekhri SVC center is unable to diagnose the issue, you might want to look at an alternative place. Sometimes these issues need an out-of-the-box approach to find the root cause, as the company training makes them too set in their ways to figure out the real problem.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th October 2017 at 00:58.
praful is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 18:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Sorry to hear your troubles with the Duke Sriram, maybe we could also use this thread to capture all issues and fixes for the new Duke? Would give a comprehensive go to thread for 390 owners.
Looking forward to your duke getting back on road soon.
@sammyboy - Thanks. I hope the issues get fixed soon too. The bike is wonderful otherwise. Sure - We can rename the thread to track 2017 D390 issues if there is no other thread like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Sriram,

Looks like a case of failed battery or battery from a poor batch. Also can you check the resting current drawn from the battery. Are there any accessories that are connected to the bike. My bike with an alarm that draws trickle current drains the battery if not used in a week and riding alone doesn't easily fix the issue but one has to remove and charge the battery.
Thanks - The bike is with the SVC. I'll ask them to investigate these angles also. I'll probably need to get an amp-meter to figure out the resting current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
What brand is the battery? And do all KTMs come with the same brand? Other owners can confirm. Also if it's the case of a bad batch of batteries, can you please check if the other owner whom you met at the SC bought the bike at the same time as you?
Sorry - I didn't check. I hope this is just a case of bad batch of batteries. I met the other owner briefly as he was leaving, so I don't have his contacts. Surprisingly, I haven't heard back the whole day from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
So there was some juice in the battery to power up the console but was there enough juice to prime the fuel line i.e. did the fuel pump power up?
Yes. I don't think the fuel pump powered up.

Quote:
Could be a faulty RR unit causing the battery not be fully charged. I had the exact issue with my 220 Fi back in 2007. The battery would loose charge even while the bike was in motion.
This could be the issue too.

Quote:
If the Mekhri SVC center is unable to diagnose the issue, you might want to look at an alternative place. Sometimes these issues need an out-of-the-box approach to find the root cause, as the company training makes them too set in their ways to figure out the real problem.
I hope they diagnose and fix it. Else, as you mentioned, I need to try a different TVC. But honestly, I don't have too much patience nowadays. I'll just take a hit and sell it if it recurs again
Old 4th October 2017, 20:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your woes. Being the owner of an RC390 (pre-facelift wedge styled mirrors) I can understand your issue. I had to do major engine work on my bike recently and have since realized that while KTM may be making efforts to add refinement and smoother fueling at low RPMs, that doesn't mean that their bikes are reliable. Like any European brand be it cars or bikes, their products are loaded with tech but are equally prone to issues. Chain slack needs constant adjustment, valve clearances need constant checking etc. So even if it is a Duke with upright seating posture, I am amazed by folks who take it on long distance trips. If you do intend on doing so, please also set apart some time to learn more about your bike so that you are prepared for whatever comes your way. Pushing the bike 2 kms is quite unnecessary. Jump starting a bike can be done very easily.

Coming back to your problem, might I suggest not giving it to the service center? I had given my bike to almost every KTM service center mekhri, indiranagar etc. when I was facing issues with it, and I learned that these guys don't know how to properly diagnose issues. All they know how to do is apply stickers and do oil changes. I give my bike to a small service center in Vidyaranyapura run by a chap called Javed. He used to work on superbikes but has since given up working on them since he said it was hard to maintain security in his area. He is a very honest guy, never over charges, can get you whatever you want, even when it comes time to take delivery of your bike from him you will be surprised by how well it is cleaned and polished, much better than the KTM authorized service centers, BUT he takes his own sweet time and doesn't like to rush the job. If you do choose to give him a visit, you can give him my reference and tell him Ishaan with the RC390 sent you. I can bet that he will be able to take care of whatever the issue with your bike is.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th October 2017 at 00:59.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 10:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Coming back to your problem, might I suggest not giving it to the service center? I had given my bike to almost every KTM service center mekhri, indiranagar etc. when I was facing issues with it, and I learned that these guys don't know how to properly diagnose issues. All they know how to do is apply stickers and do oil changes. I give my bike to a small service center in Vidyaranyapura run by a chap called Javed. He used to work on superbikes but has since given up working on them since he said it was hard to maintain security in his area. He is a very honest guy, never over charges, can get you whatever you want, even when it comes time to take delivery of your bike from him you will be surprised by how well it is cleaned and polished, much better than the KTM authorized service centers, BUT he takes his own sweet time and doesn't like to rush the job. If you do choose to give him a visit, you can give him my reference and tell him Ishaan with the RC390 sent you. I can bet that he will be able to take care of whatever the issue with your bike is.
Sure Ishaan - I am generally uncomfortable taking new bikes to unauthorized service centers, but looks like Javed has experience focused on performance bikes. Can you PM me his details? I'll reach out to him. Thanks for the reference
Old 5th October 2017, 20:20   #9
BHPian

Quick Update:
I was told that the battery is dead and I should send across the scan of Battery Warranty and RC Book to process the battery replacement under insurance. I couldn't talk much today because of my commitments. But will reach out and see if they can share any Root Cause Analysis for this issue
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 01:27   #10
BHPian

Update:
It has been over 9 days, and still no sign of battery. When I pinged KTM Mekhri Circle, I was told that KTM is 'out of stock' for battery and they have no idea when they'll get it.

Absolutely unprofessional folks. Time to ditch KTM and go the Jap way.

I've had 3 KTMs so far, love them when I ride them, but at some point of time, this kind of unprofessionalism does gets onto one's nerves.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 13:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Update:
It has been over 9 days, and still no sign of battery. When I pinged KTM Mekhri Circle, I was told that KTM is 'out of stock' for battery and they have no idea when they'll get it.

Absolutely unprofessional folks. Time to ditch KTM and go the Jap way.

I've had 3 KTMs so far, love them when I ride them, but at some point of time, this kind of unprofessionalism does gets onto one's nerves.
Absolutely frustrating. What special battery are they using ? Gold plated stuff?
One of the reasons i decided to add the orange , apart from the fun quotient, was that the service
Center is very close to my house and i know the owner well. But a jap is a jap, 7.5 years and all i have changed are oil, filters, battery and tyres.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is just not sad, but pathetic. I get my parts from Yamaha for my FZ1 in 10 days and they need to be specially ordered and imported either from Singapore or US. You should post it in twitter and tag Bajaj owner so he should know what their service centers are upto.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 15:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Absolutely frustrating. What special battery are they using ? Gold plated stuff?
One of the reasons i decided to add the orange , apart from the fun quotient, was that the service
Center is very close to my house and i know the owner well
I couldn't believe when he said "I just contacted exide people. They say it's gonna get delayed because they are out of stock - So tomorrow morning? I don't think so" - I got this update after 9 days and after I ping them.

Quote:
But a jap is a jap, 7.5 years and all i have changed are oil, filters, battery and tyres.
I think it is time to come to Jap fold (Hopefully I'll join the Ninja family soon )

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is just not sad, but pathetic. I get my parts from Yamaha for my FZ1 in 10 days and they need to be specially ordered and imported either from Singapore or US. You should post it in twitter and tag Bajaj owner so he should know what their service centers are upto.
'Pathetic' - That's the perfect word for this situation. I'll probably tweet to them.

My work keeps me very busy, and I find these stuff very mentally draining.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 14th October 2017 at 15:24.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:52   #14
rbp
BHPian

And finally my less than 2 months old Duke 390 stalled all of a sudden in the middle of the road and refused to crank. The console, horn and indicators work fine, but when I press the start button, nothing happens, I just hear a tak sound thats it and nothing else. I am loosing confidence in this bike, first the console issues and now the battery. I have never had to deal with such silly issues on any of the other japs that I have owned so far. After Sriramv's above statement, I have no faith in KTM. This purchase might turn out to be the biggest mistake I have committed so far. Unfortunately I have to deal with the same Mekhri circle service center :(. I had called the service center guys and they were suggesting it might be a battery issue and try charging it. Luckily I have a Deltran Charger and I have put it for charging, not convinced it is the battery issue. Lets see what happens.

People interested in buying the Duke390 stay away from it.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th October 2017 at 00:59.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 00:27   #15
BANNED

This looks like to be a case of faulty cell in battery .The symptoms are similar to what we see when we have a faulty cell in car battery . You can get the battery cells checked at most battery shops .It will eliminate battery as a problem so you can look elsewhere then .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks