Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 12:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro

Have been using the new BS4 Access 125 from about 4 months and I agree with most of Pros and Cons listed in the opening post. The ride is harsh for a solo rider in comparison with Jupiter. With the pillion on board, there no complaints. Also note that the tyre pressure for front/rear is 22/26 PSI for solo and 22/36 for rear. Perhaps this is case with all other similar scooters.
Access however has very linear and peppy power delivery and my father likes the non-jerky behavior. I felt the looks of the Access to be most appealing (yes, looks are subjective :-) ).
anthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 14:21   #47
BHPian

The Matte Black and matte grey colours look very nice. Blue is nice too.
bhaskar.guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 14:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Try the Aprilla 150, the most stable and balanced scooter.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 19:10   #49

I bought a Duet during the BS-3 stock clearance sale & my dad already owns a Maestro Edge. Maestro Edge has already started showing it's age (not even 2 years old & less thank 6k kms on the odo) due to the plastic body panels. Same was the problem with our Honda Aviator Disc brake model.

However, I'm still more confident on the metal body of the Duet which's run for 450 kms in 200 days of ownership. While I'm sure we don't get the durable ones like Chetak/ LML NV these days on Auto scooters, I'd still recommend you the Duet over Maestro Edge.
npulyani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 16:04   #50
BHPian

With Maestro Edge you get extra security features like theft protection that may or may not be important to you. Customer feedback on ride quality is great with good seating comfort. You also get external fuel filling which does make those pump trips easier.

If you are looking for durability, Duet is an excellent choice due to full metal body. It is also cheaper than Edge but lacks some of the features also at the same time.
kumarshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 19:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npulyani View Post
I bought a Duet during the BS-3 stock clearance sale & my dad already owns a Maestro Edge. Maestro Edge has already started showing it's age (not even 2 years old & less thank 6k kms on the odo) due to the plastic body panels. Same was the problem with our Honda Aviator Disc brake model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
With Maestro Edge you get extra security features like theft protection that may or may not be important to you. Customer feedback on ride quality is great with good seating comfort. You also get external fuel filling which does make those pump trips easier.
If you are looking for durability, Duet is an excellent choice due to full metal body. It is also cheaper than Edge but lacks some of the features also at the same time.
Thanks for your responses, npulyani and kumarshah. The TVS Jupiter and Hero Duet are both built like a tank, indeed! All things considered, the Jupiter and Maestro Edge are both looking like winners to me. The only real tussle now, is Jupiter's metal body vs. Maestro Edge's snazzy styling.

I suppose we'd wait for a few more months and see what 2018 has in store for the scooter market. And to address my second question in the OP, does anyone have any idea on the arrival of the maxi-scooters in our market?

Also, here's wishing all fellow BHP-ians a very happy, safe, and pollution-free Diwaali!
RoverX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:00   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
And to address my second question in the OP, does anyone have any idea on the arrival of the maxi-scooters in our market
Vespa/Aprilia have experimented (are still doing it) with slightly larger displacement scooters (150cc) but they haven't really taken the market by storm and hence most OEMs will play it safe and stick to what keeps their counters ringing, which is the 100-125cc segment with products designed for family transport is my take.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, npulyani and kumarshah. The TVS Jupiter and Hero Duet are both built like a tank, indeed! All things considered, the Jupiter and Maestro Edge are both looking like winners to me. The only real tussle now, is Jupiter's metal body vs. Maestro Edge's snazzy styling.
Small Correction.
The Jupiter has Fiber/Plastic body. It is the Wego & Activa, who have metal bodies.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 15:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Vespa/Aprilia have experimented (are still doing it) with slightly larger displacement scooters (150cc) but they haven't really taken the market by storm and hence most OEMs will play it safe and stick to what keeps their counters ringing, which is the 100-125cc segment with products designed for family transport is my take.
Thank you, n.devdath. And that's primarily the reason why almost every gearless scooter on sale today (with the exception of the Vespa and Aprilia) feels like about 80% of the same, boring formula. Kinetic pulled a very bold move in 2006 with the Blaze 165 cc, but the market just wasn't ready for that particular segment yet. I'm sure that people looking for something exciting in the scooter market (including myself) would gobble up a product like that in no time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Small Correction.
The Jupiter has Fiber/Plastic body. It is the Wego & Activa, who have metal bodies.
Thanks, abhishek46, but I believe only the front mudguard, apron, and the headlamp cowl are made of fibre. The rear and underbody panels are still metallic.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:59   #55
BHPian

All, even I'm in a similar dilemma as the OP of this thread is facing. Need a scooter for my dad as the old workhorse in the house, an '07 model Pleasure is starting to show a few long term issues and visits to the neighborhood workshop have become frequent of late. His usage would be for the weekend catch-ups with friends, and the numerous supermarket visits and errands.

I have shortlisted the Dio, Jupiter, SR 150 and Access 125 for now. Want to check out the Grazia, whose bookings have opened today. Might not consider Activa or any Hero models purely for the sake of variety.

Have read the thread to see inputs from other members, but still any pointers to a choice would be appreciated.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 18:25   #56
BHPian

I have a 2014 model MAESTRO. This model carries a feeble horn and upgrade is a must.
My question is that, is it possible to directly replace the horn with CBZ extreme or pulsar horn or some alteration in wiring to be needed?
Old 10th November 2017, 11:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
I have shortlisted the Dio, Jupiter, SR 150 and Access 125 for now. Want to check out the Grazia, whose bookings have opened today. Might not consider Activa or any Hero models purely for the sake of variety.
You resound my thoughts, sleepyhead148! I hate myself for being tempted to consider another Honda, but the Grazia has caught my attention, too. The full-LED headlamps, digital instrument console, multifunction key slot, and Honda's brilliant 125 cc engine all seem like a recipe for success. But I have a feeling that the body panels are ABS plastic, and not metallic like the Activa 125. Also, from the pictures, it looks a shade smaller as compared to our current ride, the Aviator. I'm also closely following a thread on an upcoming 125 cc scooter from the TVS stable, that sports quite radical looks as compared to the Jupiter and Maestro.

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...on-test-406378

Dear fellow BHP-ians, kindly share your ride experiences of the Honda Grazia if you get your hands on one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
My question is that, is it possible to directly replace the horn with CBZ extreme or pulsar horn or some alteration in wiring to be needed?
Dear (Alok), I believe both the CBZ extreme and the Pulsar come with a twin-horn setup, and won't be a simple plug-and-play installation in the Maestro.

Last edited by RoverX : 10th November 2017 at 11:57. Reason: Incomplete comment
RoverX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 09:48   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
It is a direct fit with no wiring changes needed as long as you use a single horn with the same wattage, which should be case with the CBZ extreme. In case you need something louder/twin, you will need to fit a horn relay which will mean some cutting of wires but is generally not a concern.

Quote:
Dear fellow BHP-ians, kindly share your ride experiences of the Honda Grazia if you get your hands on one!
Here is what I felt after a 2km unofficial test ride.

It feels a lot like the other 125cc Hondas, so not as nippy as the Jupiter or the Access. The footwell reminds one of the new Yamaha scoot, which is to say that it is spacious. Handling however, is lacklustre and riding over undulating roads doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The instrument cluster looks nice with a lot of information though while the LED headlight is definitely a head-turner.

Not a performance scooter but the jazziest Honda scoot in India so far, while panel quality feels below par at a few places.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 17:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It feels a lot like the other 125cc Hondas, so not as nippy as the Jupiter or the Access. The footwell reminds one of the new Yamaha scoot, which is to say that it is spacious. Handling however, is lacklustre and riding over undulating roads doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The instrument cluster looks nice with a lot of information though while the LED headlight is definitely a head-turner.

Not a performance scooter but the jazziest Honda scoot in India so far, while panel quality feels below par at a few places.
Just what I feared! I took a look at the walk-around video, and I could tell that the plastics used on the inner panels are sub-par, and the lid for the mobile charging port felt particularly flimsy. I expected the ride and handling to be similar to the Activa 125 / Aviator, owing to the 12" front + 10" rear setup and front telescopic forks. I'm gonna give this portion a benefit of doubt (owing to the short ride duration). The major draws to this scooter are the edgy styling, smooth 125 cc engine, and LED illumination (I find the headlamps on all the earlier Hondas woefully inadequate!).

Thanks a ton for your quick response, n.devdath!
Old 12th November 2017, 13:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, BHP-ians! This is my first thread on T-BHP, so kindly pardon me if you feel that it's unduly long.

I've been planning to purchase a gearless scooter for my dad, who is a senior citizen, for quite some time. Right now, we own a 2011 Honda Aviator Deluxe (disc brake variant) that has done around 14000 kms till date. When we switched over from the Kinetic Nova to the Honda Aviator, the futuristic styling, superior build, engine refinement, and plusher ride from the telescopic forks were all a revelation to us. But our Honda hasn't stood the test of time that well, thanks in a big way to the indifferent and apathetic dealership called V. J. Honda (Dombivli). Their extremely unprofessional way of dealing with the customers and handling vehicles caused my dad to turn to a small-time local garage for the routine maintenance. Needless to say, the service record is practically non-existent.

Over time, the panels have developed gaps near the handlebar and instrument console (the body-coloured surround fits into the headlamp fairing with a fibre dovetail-like joint). The electrical cables have been a constant victim of rodent attacks (something that was remedied by using a flexible metal gauze around the cables, and a few pouches of tobacco). The rear drum brake liner and battery were replaced around the 10000 km mark. Fuel economy has also been rather dismal, hovering around the 36-38 kpl mark. The body started developing rust rather early (despite the Teflon coat), especially around the body guard rails (a bolt-on dealer accessory that I despise). The latest issue that has cropped up is excessive panel vibrations while accelerating from a halt. They even make the mirrors shake violently.

Since I'm not home most of the time, I wish to save my dad the hassle of keeping the scooter from falling apart all the time. Hence, I'm looking for a decent alternative to replace the Aviator. But ever since I started scouring through the options, none of them struck me as radical, the way the Aviator did back in time among a plethora of generically-shaped scooters. The contenders in my list, and my observations about them (after a moderate-length test ride) are as follows (these are, in no way, standard observations):

Attachment 1682399

I have ruled out the ubiquitous Activa in all its variants, because of its sheer omnipresence (no offence meant to the numerous proud Activa owners). So guys, kindly advise me on this front. Also, does anyone have an idea as to when the maxi scooters (or Euro scooters, as referred to by some) like Yamaha N-Max, Honda PCX-150, etc. will make it to our shores? Those hold a lot of promise in the ₹ 1+ lakh scooter segment, and will pose a strong challenge to the fashionable, yet overpriced Vespas.
I would recommend you to test drive the mahindra Gusto, the scooter's rear body is quiet slim although the seat is pretty wide. Also has the seat height adjustable feature; The initial pick up is very good and maybe best compared to others(I haven't ridden the jupiter, so not sure about that). A member in the family has maestro and he's not happy with the service and build quality of the scooter.
Coming to Mahindra's service experience, it is bad. Other than that it has been a good ownership.

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 12th November 2017 at 13:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks