Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2017, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro

Have got a Jupiter at home. Doing pretty well and very happy about it.

In my opinion, please stay away from Honda, mainly due to their bossy sales and service support. They are too pleased with themselves; and let us not forget the front suspension which should have been scrapped a decade back and puny 10 inch wheels.

The main reason I chose Jupiter was the front suspension and 12 inch wheel combination, which are working perfectly. Happy shopping!
rangarx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 15:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Amongst the contenders your have shortlisted, I would suggest Wego. This is an all rounder with god performance, mileage and maintenance costs (provided you have a good TVS workshop) near your place in Dombivli.

Hero Pleasure would also do good.
I agree with him regarding Wego, since I own both activa and Wego. Wego has a full metal body (including the Apron) and will last much longer than any of the current breeds. It also has a good mileage and comes fitted with alloy wheels as standard. The only part that rusts in Wego is area near/around the two bolts hidden under the rubber mat in the footwell. If you can spray wd-40 or put some Vaseline on the area even once a year, they would never need any attention. The engine is by and large trouble free and low on maintenance. I've never done a timely service (except for the first service) on Wego and once skipped changing engine oil for an year, yet it has never reciprocated the neglect.

I would not recommend pleasure as it rusts prematurely and ages quickly.
adityadeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 17:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have a 5 year old wego, which has served us well.

If this is for you dad, below things in Wego cannot be overlooked

1) Body Balance ( Even Jupiter misses this )
2) Easy stand ( Really easy to put on centre stand )
3) External fuel filler ( Its a must )

The only disadvantage with wego is slightly higher rear seat, else this is a fun to drive scooter.

If you are looking for a 125cc scooter, Jupiter will come with one soon.
Advice is to choose between Jupiter and Wego.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 17:41   #19
BHPian

I would recommend to go with All New Suzuki Access. My dad, 62, drives it and he loves it. I have personally driven it and like it much better compared to its old variant. There is a separate thread for it where you can get more details http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum...completed.html
Sparky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 19:22   #20
BHPian

I would like to add to the Suzuki Access features I like most - The seat is openable(for helmet & fuel) from the front only(the ignition keyhole) by turning the key counter-clockwise. I love this feature because a couple of times in my Activa, I had forgotten the key in the keyhole(for the seat) while putting in the helmet. Also you will not have to take the key out of the ignition for refuelling.
autoholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 20:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi RoverX. I am sorry I can be of no help to you. But I really liked how you wrote the post and explained your situation. I have not kept pace with the developments in the 2- wheeler market and your post provided a good overview of the scooter landscape for me.
Thank you for the kind words, rrsteer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Apart from that, the On-road assistance is very good. I experienced it first hand and have to say, their response was even better than some Car companies. They sent a pick-up vehicle and delivered the vehicle at a service centre nearest or of your choice, provided it is within 25 Km. And they also provide you with a cab free of cost, once again till 25km from the pick-up point.
Thanks for the response, vamsi.kona. It's heartening to know that TVS isn't neglecting the after-sales part of the business, unlike some big players in the industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
They are too pleased with themselves; and let us not forget the front suspension which should have been scrapped a decade back and puny 10 inch wheels.
Thank you, rangarx. You reciprocate my thoughts about Honda's after-sales service. But they already made the switch from leading link to telescopic front forks, and a larger rim size since the Aviator and Activa 125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
I agree with him regarding Wego, since I own both activa and Wego. Wego has a full metal body (including the Apron) and will last much longer than any of the current breeds. It also has a good mileage and comes fitted with alloy wheels as standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I have a 5 year old wego, which has served us well.

If this is for you dad, below things in Wego cannot be overlooked

1) Body Balance ( Even Jupiter misses this )
2) Easy stand ( Really easy to put on centre stand )
3) External fuel filler ( Its a must )
Thanks, guys. My main concern about the Wego is that it's the oldest of the lot that I've shortlisted. Is there a facelift / update expected any time soon? Also, isn't the 'Body Balance' tech just a gimmicky jargon for a front-biased CoG? That apart, the Jupiter and Maestro Edge both feature external fuel fillers and multi-functional ignition slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
There is a separate thread for it where you can get more details [url="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/183044-my-milky-bar-all-new-suzuki-access-125-special-edition-edit-5000-km-completed.html[/URL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post
I would like to add to the Suzuki Access features I like most - The seat is openable(for helmet & fuel) from the front only(the ignition keyhole) by turning the key counter-clockwise. I love this feature because a couple of times in my Activa, I had forgotten the key in the keyhole(for the seat) while putting in the helmet. Also you will not have to take the key out of the ignition for refuelling.
Thank you for the responses. And that's indeed a detailed write-up, Sparky! My main complaints against the Access are the weird looks (a complete mish-mash of retro and contemporary elements, plus excessive chrome), and the jittery ride. After the Aviator, I can always feel the underlying stiffness in the Access's suspension setup. And while that is good for nimble handling within the city, ride comfort is a priority here.
Old 6th October 2017, 00:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you Yamaha fascino. Currently i am using one. It is light weight, feels agile, good styling. Excellent headlight. Also the underseat storage of fascino is slightly larger than the competition. The only cons i found that it is not as refined as honda or suzuki, and the the supportive bar behind the rear seat (i don't know what it is called) is almost non existent. Maybe a design flaw.
tushky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 02:52   #23
BHPian

Hi, I wouldn't want to suggest you any particular make but just want to share my experiences regarding the scooters we have.
We have both an Activa (Oct '05) as well as a Maestro Edge (Oct '15). The primary reason for switching to a new scooter even though the old pony (I'd call bikes as workhorses) was working well enough was just due to the pure apathy shown by both major Honda dealers here (Haiku Honda and City Honda). After failing to get a single issue rectified even after multiple visits, we decided it was time to get a new scooter, one that my mom likes and whose service wouldn't remind her of going to the fish market.

After test driving all the scooters you listed, we finally decided on the Maestro purely based on the dealership vibes we received, they were courteous, helpful in answering questions and seemed to know how to handle customers coming in for service. Our faith in the Maestro was proven right during our first year of service where all concerns were attended to, the technician even taking the concern of dropped fuel efficiency seriously (it was just me back in town ). But I hear from my mom that she regularly gets anywhere between 44 and 48 kmpl in stop-go traffic which I find very respectable.

As for our Activa, we have found a local service station who specializes in scooters but the frequency of service has dropped since it's not being used much. It's still a great, reliable pony!

Cheers!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th October 2017 at 05:05. Reason: Edited to improve readability.
sharkashwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 10:42   #24
BHPian

I was in the same situation but I wanted to buy a scooter for myself. I narrowed it down to TVS Jupiter, Honda Activa and Honda Dio. I drove all three since my friends had it and one thing I didnt look for was styling, so I wont comment on it.

The Activa and Dio both have Honda's butter smooth engine while the Jupiter does not. Having said that, thats not a deal breaker. Power is not bad and it has good torque.

Honda have stuck to 10 inch wheels, while the Jupiter comes standard with 12 inch wheels, which adds to better handling.

The Jupiter is feature laden compared to the Honda scooters and you already know that. I highly recommend the external fuel point/cap.

TVS service has been a pain with my friends and so I gave my Jupiter to the same local shop that serviced my 18 year old Splendor. I dont have complaints with them.

I get a mileage of between 48 and 52 kmpl (as against TVS's claim of over 60 kmpl). I stay about 3 kms from the office and by the time the engine warms up, I've parked the scooter and swicthed it off.

I am a happy Jupiter owner, havent had reasons to complain and would happily recommend it to you.
jensjoseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
I suggest you Yamaha fascino. Currently i am using one. It is light weight, feels agile, good styling. Excellent headlight.
Hi.

Fascino looks good in my opinion too. My wife and daughters also liked the looks.

The reason we did not buy that scooter was the concern about Yamaha's service support and doubt about how long will the product and the dealer continue when the company does not have reasonable market share.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you buy something that has service center NEAR to your house.
Most important thing.

I was in similar situation, and I had TVS, Honda, Yamaha and Hero near me.
Chose Jupiter over nearest contender Maestro (because wife likes the colors better).
Feature wise Jupiter/Wego and Maestro trump over others.

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th October 2017 at 11:37.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi.

Fascino looks good in my opinion too. My wife and daughters also liked the looks.

The reason we did not buy that scooter was the concern about Yamaha's service support and doubt about how long will the product and the dealer continue when the company does not have reasonable market share.
Yamaha sells roughly 70000 2-wheelers every month in India (More than Suzuki and RE), out of which 36,000 are just scooters.
It is highly unlikely that the Fascino will be discontinued!
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi.

The service support it good. Yamaha dealer regularly calls me to remind about the servicing date.
Old 6th October 2017, 12:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post

I've been planning to purchase a gearless scooter for my dad, who is a senior citizen, for quite some time. Right now, we own a 2011 Honda Aviator Deluxe (disc brake variant) that has done around 14000 kms till date

I have ruled out the ubiquitous Activa in all its variants
I endorse your decision not to go for Honda two wheeler.

My choice: TVS Jupiter. We own one and it is the best out of all our scooters in terms of FE, service, dealer experience. Performance and handling too is good.

One more scooter worth considering is Hero Duet. I advise avoiding Maestro since it is in the dying phase of it's life cycle; about to be discontinued. Duet will be more comfortable for your dad because of the managable height of the scooter, like Hero Pleasure. Even Pleasure is good.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 16:45   #30
BHPian

Was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. We got a Jupiter for my wife last week because:
- Comes with good reputation as a low maintenance scooter (was important factor for wife, she is no motorhead)
- We have a good service center 2 KMS away
- Bought basic version:
>> because it comes with Black panels (we didn't like Beige panels of ZX version, though they look very nice in the Classic model)
>> with drum breaks because I worry she is more likely to skid after panic breaking in chaotic Mumbai suburban traffic (I have told her drum breaks so drive slower - not a good influence)
- Features that mattered: External fuel cap, space in the foot well, 12' wheels, telescopic front
- Reasonably heavy offering stability
- Pretty good headlamp throw

Things we wish it came with:
- Trip meter
- Built in mobile charger (presently you have purchase it separately)
- Storage options in the foot well - though several after market ones available

One thing we absolutely hate:
- Always Headlights On accompanied with higher level setup of the headlamp - in a new scooter, it is glaring even in bright noon Sun. Should have separate LED DRL and headlamps should have control switch.
subuiyer is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed