Team-BHP - She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/191283-she-runs-tvs-scooty-converted-pocket-bike.html)

Disclaimer : I came across this thread or such a similar project on any part of internet only today... But I was shocked at the DejaVu moment I created for this thread starter. Mr.Boss - my post/project should help you relive your dreams all over again.

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-swimming.jpg

Summer 2017, Mid May, Hot as hell in a small town near Bangalore. Swimming classes completed, South Asia Satellite launch witnessed... now what?!!

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-south-asia.jpg

I for one hate to see little kids peeping all day down at some mobile phone games, or a tablet/ipad - leapfrog is also a electronic device. So out of the blue I thought of involving my 5yr son in a quick bike project. And on 20th may stopped at some random roadside mechanic and asked him for a beaten up scooty (without papers to keep cost down) and ended up sending car and kid along with wife and me in this 2000Rs relic!

20-may-2017, 3PM, somewhere along NH207
She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-20may-3pm.jpg

WD40 1 can down, and the GD&T work starts!

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-20may-730pm.jpg

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-20may-730pm1.jpg

I needed to understand the "scale" of the work involved -

3 dimensions :
Bum to Pedal
Bum to Road
Bum to handle bar

Bummer! Its more complicated than I thought it to be...!!

21-May, Sunday Morning

Found a rare hardware shop who was willing to work on sunday, got a angle grinder (chinese of course) and a few cutting and grinding wheels.

Biryani lunch and a few cuts and nicks later...

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-21may-2pm.jpg

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-21may-2pm1.jpg

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-21may-2pm2.jpg

2 Bums nearly solved, 1 became a bigger bummer! I cannot expect him to hold the handle at his eye level! Sigh!

This was the O.E Handle mount...

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-handle-oe.jpg

And Leave it to the dad to create the best bummer (face palm) moment!!

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-22-may-8pm.jpg

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-22may-8pm.jpg

Q : How do you bummer up a summer fun project?

A : Leave it to the dad!

This is where the experts come in... cannot spend lot of time away from work, hence got my man-friday over phone to run a few errands. After working on Jeep modifications for a 'few' times, he understood my current 'dad' situation and agreed to take it up.

So, here's the deal. In previous post, the face palm moment was technically due to my intention of bringing down the handle - one AND two - bring it closer to the rider - VIA a stupid pipe bend and weld a 100CC handle to it. The most low point of this whole project.

(Psst - THIS proves I DID not know this thread by Mr.Boss existed... LOL!)

So, what Mr.Boss understood much before is, the chassis needs to be cut at the foot board area (now you are clicking Page-1 arent you?).

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-27may-1pm.jpg

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-27may-1pm1.jpg

So, in 7 days (few days lost to my bum-tearing work back in office)... this was the status of the project.

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-27may-9pm.jpg

Whats a petrol head project, unless you have the friend in need chip in - here - for the final handle bar positioning before the final stitch welding the next day.

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-28may-7pm.jpg

Not Bad... I thought to myself! Had miles to go...

I was both excited (yeah, OK, I was selfish I got to do a 'project' after a looong time)... but equally scared to give a AUTOMOBILE to my 5 year kid.

But, the only fact that he already had shattered his leg once (not a pretty pic to post here), or a year later, smashed his face and (DEF not - not pretty) - made me think to take a slightly different approach in grooming him from a bicycle to a heavy motor-cycle (OK, a stupid scooter).

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-weight-balance-test.jpeg

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-weight-balance-test1.jpeg

My theory was and Is, half the noob accidents are due to the fact that a 2-wheeler automobile is not only 'auto' - but 'heavier' and the partial disorientation caused during initial learning days leads to most of the accidents.

(Of Course, when you Promote yourself from a Pulsar to 390... well, irrelevant)

Hence, my noob idea of towing my son in the bare chassis (with 2 brake cables of course) and let him 'understand' its not 'cool' to do 'vrooom vroooom' sitting on a petrol tank - IT IS HARD WORK and it hurts like hell to balance anything bigger than a bicycle.

(PS - the most simplest bike seat I could make)

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-seat.jpeg

Boy, did he sleep that night :)

We are on the home run...

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-final-shape-28may-9pm.jpeg

20May to 28May... he had already lost interest in SubWay Surfers and talking about Asphalt to his LKG-Pass-Now-UKG friends... My bum was AsFalting, time was short!

Put all the carb, harness, yada yada into a carry bag and handed it over to nearby roadside mech, along with the scooty - his face expression was EPIC!!

One shift later, She RODE home... mech was kind and proud enough to bring her personally to my Home.

Project costing :
2000Rs bike
750Rs chassis alteration
1200Rs Battery!!
500Rs Surgeon to put her back!
500Rs misc spares, brake shoes, etc...

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-4june-painted.jpg

And I belong the long and difficult process of teaching him to ride a motor-cycle, it seemed eternal!

I kid you not - It took all of 4 minutes and I had to run back home to bring out my 100CC bike to follow him inside the residential colony.

Reason - ^^ prev post training helped a lot I am guessing!

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-4june-trials.jpg

Long story Short...

She runs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyTFjmvH2WY

He runs...!

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-june-18th-trials.jpg

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-june-18th-trials1.jpg

And Boy, What a summer it was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqufjxbRN7Y

So is the speed and power capped on that engine? Asking because, even though driven off the roads and for recreational purposes, it will still be handled by a kid.
Also, you mentioned him being a 5 year old. Is that his true age or is he kind of 10 year old? Sorry I cannot make out from the pictures but I ask since my about to be 5 year old still cannot ride a bicycle.
Additionally, tying the modified scooty to your bike and making the kid sit on the scooty, how does that help and how do you have any control whatsoever if things were to go wrong. At the most you will stop your bike, but there is nothing you can do to make your kid not fall down or make your kid apply brakes.

You may think I have no zest in me, but I cannot fathom handing over such a thing to my kid till he hits teen.
Was this entire idea only to get your kid off the gadgets? Is this the right age to teach the kid how to ride a fossile fuel powered vehicle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 4231809)
We are on the home run...
One shift later, She RODE home

clap:
Congrats Santosh, you gave life to a project that was in my mind and half way cooked.

Few suggestion from my side,
- Add an exhaust shield. Silencer bend gets heated up in no matter of time
- Add some rubber material over the foot rest, chances are high for easy slipping
- If you still want to reduce the handlebar height, invert it

PS: Kudos to the kid who could handle the scooter, but please take utmost care when he is driving around. Cheers :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 4232081)
clap:
Congrats Santosh, you gave life to a project that was in my mind and half way cooked.

Exactly why I was seeking permission to bump up a thread. I was sure you would feel happy to see the outcome of your dream, however coincidental it was mine... your :Shockked: in the PM said it all!!

Quote:

Few suggestion from my side,
- Add an exhaust shield. Silencer bend gets heated up in no matter of time
- Add some rubber material over the foot rest, chances are high for easy slipping
- If you still want to reduce the handlebar height, invert it
1) Will implement asap. My idea is the glass wool rope you see in hotels around their steam pipes.

2) agree

3) Its good for now, I may need to increase the seat height in a few months.

Quote:

PS: Kudos to the kid who could handle the scooter, but please take utmost care when he is driving around. Cheers :thumbs up
Keys are with me... and the reward or brownie points for any accomplishment or good deed or 5* in homework notebook is 10-15 mins of off road ride in this little scooty each weekend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some Tech talk now...

Cutting and welding the chassis is not for the faint hearted and, Mr.Boss, I noticed in the previous page you would be better off with a Truss to hold the 2 sides of the weld from twisting away in opposite axis. Pic as below...

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-twist.jpg

And the little scooty doesnt do any break-neck speeds or anything close to crazy. Yes, It is as fast as a bicycle ridden by any enthusiastic kid, thanks to a cutting edge technology on Gelding any carb :D

She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike-main_jet2.jpg

This "wire thru jet" effectively kills the carb of fuel and it is not worth any more than a 20-25CC engine now. Let him grow up to figure out why it doesnt go any faster, until this its a secret between his 'fav' mechanic uncle and me...

PS - Scooty has gone for its first proper mechanical service. Inside out overhaul. I will update once its back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 4232410)
Mr.Boss, I noticed in the previous page you would be better off with a Truss to hold the 2 sides of the weld from twisting away in opposite axis. Pic as below.

This "wire thru jet" effectively kills the carb of fuel and it is not worth any more than a 20-25CC engine now.

Both these were already done, including a custom handle bar of lower height. Let me share the snaps by this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 4232410)
PS - Scooty has gone for its first proper mechanical service. Inside out overhaul. I will update once its back.

It starts much better and runs much smoother now. Thanks to new rings, decarb of the block and crankcase and a new spark plug. Time to put some more kms on the little one by the little one, this weekend.

Many thanks for sharing, svsantosh! Moving your posts to a new thread.

Mr.Boss' project is documented at this link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinit.merchant (Post 4231874)
So is the speed and power capped on that engine? Asking because, even though driven off the roads and for recreational purposes, it will still be handled by a kid.
Also, you mentioned him being a 5 year old. Is that his true age or is he kind of 10 year old? Sorry I cannot make out from the pictures but I ask since my about to be 5 year old still cannot ride a bicycle.
Additionally, tying the modified scooty to your bike and making the kid sit on the scooty, how does that help and how do you have any control whatsoever if things were to go wrong. At the most you will stop your bike, but there is nothing you can do to make your kid not fall down or make your kid apply brakes.

You may think I have no zest in me, but I cannot fathom handing over such a thing to my kid till he hits teen.
Was this entire idea only to get your kid off the gadgets? Is this the right age to teach the kid how to ride a fossile fuel powered vehicle?

The kid is definitely not a 5 years of age.He must be at least double this claimed age.
My 11 year old son comfortably rides a Honda Navi(with full safety gear) around our locality and I have been hesitant to put up the video footage on Internet. This video posted here, prompts me to post my video too.
What do the Mods suggest ?

I am not at all supportive of any kid below his/ her Legal age riding any vehicle which is not meant for him. Being part of a reputed forum which stands for Safety on the road, we should not be encouraging breaking rules.

A 11 year old riding a scooter with safety gear? Really? What about the other commuters on the road? Sorry, to put it bluntly, there is nothing to be proud of to let an under age kid ride anything that is motored. Please be responsible towards your children and the other commuters.

Are we bringing up the future citizens and inhabitants of this world with this chalta hai attitude and giving in to their whims, thereby encouraging a sense of entitlement and blatant disregard to laws?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrman (Post 4286158)
I am not at all supportive of any kid below his/ her Legal age riding any vehicle which is not meant for him. Being part of a reputed forum which stands for Safety on the road, we should not be encouraging breaking rules.

A 11 year old riding a scooter with safety gear? Really? What about the other commuters on the road? Sorry, to put it bluntly, there is nothing to be proud of to let an under age kid ride anything that is motored. Please be responsible towards your children and the other commuters.

+1
No matter how talented our children are, we should never give them the opportunity of riding a motorized 2 wheeler.
It compromised their own safety and the safety on other road users.

I really appreciate the wonderful transformation of the scooter to a small bike though!