Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 16th February 2019, 22:02   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300

Speedometer cluster cover replacement - DIY
The cover arrived earlier than expected - 3 days. This disrupted my earlier plans of leaving the bike for service and getting the cover replaced during that time. The bike was not close to a service and even the ASC guys told me to bring it in sometime later. And the labour for just replacing the meter cover was 2k or so. To some extent, it was justified considering majority of the body panels had to be removed to access the instrument cluster. Thanks to the wonderful Japanese engineers for this. However, 2k for a two hour job was more than what I was willing to pay. The other issue was, though the crack was pretty minute, it led to water seepage and I didnt want to end up with a conked instrument cluster.

After ten or so days of receiving the part, I blocked half a Saturday for the job and started work. The work involved opening up both side cowling, windshield, mirrors, number plate, headlight assembly, lower cowling just to access four screws that held the cluster in place.

First, the lower cowling must be removed partially and can be tilted downwards. This followed by the upper cowling which needs a few surrounding trims to be opened partially too.

Stage 1: Lower cowling lowered, both side upper cowlings removed

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-1.jpg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-2.jpg

Stage 2: Removal of the mirror, number plate and windshield which exposes the bolts that hold the headlight assembly. The headlight assembly then comes out during which we should also remove the couplers for headlights and parking lights. Final stripped bike is like this:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-3.jpg

The replacement of the cover was a dead easy job. After removing four screws that held the cluster, it can be taken out indoor. At this stage, it is necessary to deep clean your hands using whatever you can find. Another four screws opens up the case. No glue and stuff. In goes the new cover and the entire process reverses.
The cracked meter cluster:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-41.jpg

After replacement of glass:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-42.jpg

Test run - All fine:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-43.jpg

Also on the agenda was to clean the engine area. I had a regular practice of using a dressing solution to keep the engine area free of muck. There was some dust all over the place and I cleaned it before refitting the panels
All clean:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-5.jpg

After this began the reverse process. There are a number of bolts, screws, plastic rivets and washers. I spread out a huge piece of felt cloth and had arranged each screw according to the way it was taken out, and LH and RH kept side by side. While assembling I installed each of these fastener alternatively so that I didnt miss any of them. Believe me, if you missed a screw in the headlight cluster and realised it only in the end when you had an extra screw, it would mean repeating everything from step 1. Hence, this helps a lot, and the whole process was highly organised.

I use a torque wrench to tighten the main nuts and bolts to the right torque. Doing it on both sides at once helps since we dont have to set torque repeatedly.

All done, had finished by afternoon but took time in the evening to give the bike and myself a good wash and shower respectively, and hence took the picture at night:

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-6.jpg

The Ninja will be mostly cared for by me, that too once the warranty expires. Hence, I hope to keep this thread alive and kicking in case someone wants any info.
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 08:03   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant. Love your DIYs. Now go ride that bike like it deserves to!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 10:12   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Brilliant. Love your DIYs. Now go ride that bike like it deserves to!
Yes sir Though I havent done serious riding on the bike till now, its all about some early morning rides and trips to my village near Kolar. In 2018, I wasnt in India for more than four months. This coupled with a lot of domestic trips meant that I could never give time for anything longer than a half day ride. Thanks to TBHP biker boys, I have explored some circuits around Bangalore which is the best way to spend a few hours in the mornings in empty winding roads with greenery all around.

After my return from Germany in the beginning of December last year, the bike was feeling lethargic due to not getting enough exercise. I took it to office but that didnt make things better since from my experience, the bike needs a longer run with some speed. It warranted for a ride and we went on such a circuit in between Kanakapura road, Mysore road with the intermediate points being a breakfast place and a lake. Thanks to friend-Bhpian black12rr and his friend for the company and some action pics:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-a54e8c60e45f4b3e8ace081ed1276f39.jpg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-b8e743f113e44261b17cf312d6252f19.jpg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_0381.jpg

Recently I had developed some neck issue over the last two weeks and hence had not got a chance to ride the bike. Last saturday we again went on a short ride on Kanakapura road. Some pictures which show how massive the AT is compared to my bike:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-dsc_6568.jpg
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-dsc_6574.jpg
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-dsc_6602.jpg
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-dsc_6604.jpg
Thanks to Santosh(Black12rr) for these superb pictures

The winding nature of this road is pretty good for those who dont like cruising at a consistent or high speed. Got a chance to try the Africa Twin on these rides and I was awestruck by how comfortable this bike even for a beginner like me. The seat height is quite high even for me close to 6ft of height. But I can plant my foot on the ground comfortably which made me confident given the weight of the bike. The controls are a little different given the gearshift buttons are where the horn switch would usually be, and the horn switch near the indicator and so on. But the DCT makes the rest of the job easy, shifting gears within no time and picking up speed. What I liked the most is the suspension setup which glides over rough patches and undulations without being too soft or bouncy. I was pretty easy on the throttle and saw gears and the speed climbing in no time. Within traffic, the bike grabs a truckload of attention. The high seating means you can also say hi to some bus/truck drivers by slightly standing up. However I did not try things like that though the owner is now a pro at it.

On the highway, I grab a few opportunities to stretch my Ninja and I am left with a grin everytime this happens. If one does not look at the tacho, the bike pulls till the redline and I realise this only after it hits the revv limiter. There is nothing called hesitation in the engine and its fun picking up speed from a speedbreaker, overtaking etc. In-gear roll on in higher gears is not something which will make you hold on to the handlebar owing to the small engine. Drop a gear or two and the scene changes completely. Keeping the engine above 4k RPM gives a wide band of power till 13k RPM which makes each gear pretty versatile. However, in city I dont downshift early yet the power on tap is more than adequate in the traffic.

Looking forward to giving the bike more exercise in the coming days, before I return to Germany for sometime.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th February 2019 at 10:14.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 14:30   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

The bike hit the 5k mark at a S-L-O-W pace and it was also close to a year that it was serviced. I had deferred the last service after checking with the ASC and the bike had hardly been used. Got the service done at the 5k mark with just the change of oil and some basic maintenance. No issues reported by me which needed fixing. The brake pads still have life in them but I already have a set of EBC sintered pads ready for replacement.

The service costed somewhere close to 5k. Since they did not wash the bike, they reduced labour rate for the wash and chain maintenance. So it was 1.8k for labour, 1.6k for the oil(they now bill only 2.2 liters of oil compared to 3 before) and another 1k for the oil filter and some consumables.

The bike cover I was using was supposed to be an outdoor cover, but was not a soft material and I was not happy with it. I needed an indoor cover for regular use so that dust accumulation on the bike is controlled. Hence, I brought an amazing snug fit cover from Germany, which is made of very soft material and clings onto the bike in a sexy manner Much needed for me since I dont use the bike daily:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_4286.jpg
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_4287.jpg

Another much pending need was a storage space for small stuff like my glasses, gloves, etc and I fell in love with the Givi tankbag. Initially I went to purchase one for my Bhpian friend for his bike, but liked it so much that I decided to get one for my bike as well. I am not a fan of those magnetic tank bags which stick all over the tank. I didnt even need a huge storage space. So got the ST602 for myself while my friend wanted a huge bag for his huge bike and I got the XS320 for him. The tank lock adapters were bike specific.

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_4282.jpg
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-2b091ec2a1f047c5a9678ab2e98b8cc0.jpg

All these items were purchased from the Louis Motorcycle Gigastore in Stuttgart, which is an amazing place for any biker. The costs were pretty reasonable:
Louis stretch fit cover(Size S-L) - EUR 30

GIVI XS320(tank bag) + BF25(tank ring adapter) - EUR 130
GIVI ST602(tank bag) + BF14(tank ring adapter) - EUR 95

Fit and quality of these products are really good and even though I paid 1800 rupees for the earlier cover I had, it was not of good quality. Now I will use the outdoor cover only for long term parking when I travel.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 22:28   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Another trip to Germany and this time I laid my eyes on a helmet. My MT Helmet though good on quality was relatively heavy at 1450gms approx. Though not very apparent I had a few instances where my neck was feeling stressed when I used the helmet back to back for a few days continuously. Generally I would not use the helmet daily. Hence I started looking for a lighter helmet without compromising on safety. I searched online and finally with the suggestions of a few BHPians I ended up buying the Scorpion EXO 1400 in a carbon fiber shell. Thanks to IronH4wk for feedback since he had the same helmet. The same helmet is also available in a composite shell too which is cheaper but weighs as much as my existing helmet. Initially I thought of buying it online but the Louis Store in Stuttgart was offering similar prices along with the option of trying out the helmet before buying it as well as an option to return the helmet in case I wasn't satisfied.

The Carbon fiber version weighs 1350gms which is far comfortable on the head. In the box they provided a spare tinted visor, pin lock insert and a bag for the helmet and a separate one for the visor. Helmet quality is excellent and also has an inflatable cheek pad for perfect fit. Here are some pictures to show the finish. Looks simple without stickering but the carbon fiber steals the show completely. The price was a steal and after tax refund from Germany it costed a little more than half the retail price in India which was the other driving factor for me to buy it.
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-d6b12e5e66eb43faa70a084916331ba6.jpeg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-97a784086daa4ca2933eeeca03cc586c.jpeg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-d755db108b774b17aa5f694092406cac.jpeg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-ff1ee910c1264734a743d2a36ac7875f.jpeg
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:16   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

While the Ninja is being sparingly used for a few runs to my village and some breakfast rides, it has been flawless all the while and gives a smile everytime I get an empty stretch of road. Last weekend I tagged along Suhas on his CBR650 for an early morning ride around Bangalore in our usual circuit around Magadi and ended up in Maddur for breakfast. The road between Bangalore and Magadi was good but filled with some traffic. After Magadi to Huliyurdurga was pretty good and from Huliyurdurga to Mysore road was paradise. For the initial parts of the journey the pace of riding wasnt that high owing to frequent potholes, traffic humps and so on. But once we crossed Huliyurdurga cross, hitting the revv limiter in lower gears was the norm for me. After breakfast it was the usual Mysore road traffic to head back home and lots of widening activity going. Here is a screenshot of the route we took:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-capture.jpg

I wanted to slightly improve the lighting for the early morning rides since spotting potholes and humps in the darkness was not an easy task with the stock headlights. My earlier build with the custom Bi-Xenon setup as I have mentioned had its own share of issues, though the lighting was just brilliant. After switching back to the stock headlights I never got time to work on it, neither did I use the bike much. Considering all the work involved and my lack of time, I decided to switch to my initial Plan B, to use the OE projector setup from ZX6R. The downside to this was that I will still have a single low beam and a dedicated high beam projector compared to the Bi-Xenon. Which also meant I could not use a HID bulb on the high beam side since the HID would not like to be flashed which I do to draw attention of heavy vehicles ahead of me when overtaking. The wiring also had limitation since I had a wiring harness meant for Bixenon and not for such a setup. I had ordered the headlight assembly from a reputed aftermarket brand which is mostly available across websites. The quality is pretty good and far better than the earlier reflector assembly I had ordered from a different source.

Installation is a royal pain as usual and is a time consuming job even though I have power tools at my disposal. Even a pitstop style job would consume half an hour provided we have everything right. In my case it took half a day since I had to sort out the bulb, secure the ballast and wiring and do a customary cleaning of the engine bay. If at all you forget to connect the indicator coupler on the fairing, add 10 minutes each side since the fairing has to be undone to attach this connector Here are some pictures:

The headlight assembly was packed very well and sent through regular China registered post. Fortunately no customs charged and it passed through quite soon, compared to now where parcels are stuck in customs.

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_7542.jpg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_7543.jpg

After installation:

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-inkedimg_8662_li.jpg

Swapped the pilot lamps to LED:

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-inkedimg_8663_li.jpg

All lights in action - Notice the mismatch:

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-inkedimg_8665_li.jpg
Since I wanted to retain Halogen in the high beam, I initially brought a Philips Diamond Vision bulb thinking of using it to match the color of the HIDs. However, this bulb had a pathetic beam output and was hardly anything against the bright HIDs. Hence, I decided to use the regular halogen bulb which is a Philips Xtremevision made in Germany. This has a very good light output.

Low beam only: The cutoff is for RHS driving and I had no choice to opt for LHS. Have to live with it for now since the difference on the road is hardly noticeable and doesnt glare oncoming vehicles since the cutoff height is not much different.

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-inkedimg_8667_li.jpg

High beam + low beam:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-inkedimg_8666_li.jpg
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 22:59   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Switched the HID from 6000K to 4300K and this is was another step ahead in terms of lighting. The 6000K bulbs were not this bright and the 4300K bulbs did not arrive on time and hence I had to carry on the installation with the 6kK. They arrived just yesterday thanks to the customs for keeping it for a month and today I managed to fit the bulb without removing the fairings for which I give a self pat on my back since this isnt easy and I never imagined I could do it. Here are some pictures:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_8820.jpg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_8821.jpg

The difference in the intensity is noticeable keeping the high beam as the benchmark since in both cases the high beam remains the same bulb. In my earlier picture with the 6000K bulbs, the high beam hotspot is more intense, whereas with the 4300K bulbs, it is just there with equal intensity. Consequentially, on the road the high beam now is not very noticeable since the low beam has become pretty brighter. Also there is lesser color mismatch when we see it from the front.

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_8823.jpg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_8826.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 6th December 2019 at 23:01.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 00:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Looks wonderful ! We need to do a night ride now to test them out :-)
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:09   #69
BHPian

Since my review on my Ninja 300 will take some more time due to personal commitments, I thought of not delaying to thank my bhpian friend audioholic aka Sankalp!

He has helped me throughout since last year May-Jun 2019 when I decided to go in for Ninja 300. He was not in India when I made the decision, but when I approached he was sweet enough to call me to take me through Ninja 300 ownership and deciding on going in for a new one vs the pre-owned which I decided on initially.

Post my purchase, he again offered me by wrapping my bike's sensitive parts with PPF he had purchased. It didn't end there. When he had plans of swapping the stock headlight setup, he helped me to source one for myself and he installed it for me too. Not everyone has time or patience to help another individual whom one barely knows. I was just an acquaintance. However, he still did it all with no reluctance at all. I tell you he is a master in whatever he does - plans and keeps all the requisites handy! I will not tell much as I will save for my ownership thread too.

Thank you Sankalp for all the help. I am hijacking your thread to talk about you and not the bike - sorry about it

Well he's got his own man cave with all the tools he needs for all sorts of DIY in his apartment parking lot. His work on my bike is below:

Bike stripped for it's optic swap:

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-nstripped.jpg

Post the swap
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-hawk-stripped.jpg

With the lights ON
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-output-stripped.jpg

Low beam cut off
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-cut-off.jpg

Output on road at night
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-high-low-.jpg

It looks absolutely brilliant at night. Output is very good with the LED sets on.

And finally myself and the man who helped me throughout - Sankalp aka audioholic with his tools - I was a little dazed due to lack of sleep and forgot to click a picture of both bikes together;

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-sankalp.jpg

Apologies for the clarity as it was clicked on my beloved old iPhone 6S.

Thanks,

Guru.
gururajrv is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 18:57   #70
BHPian

@gururajrv,

Congratulations on your ninja 300. Love that bike. I am also really considering a ninja after i graduate school. I wish you happy miles on your ninja. Ride safe and enjoy

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 5th February 2020 at 19:07.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 08:53   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Since my review on my Ninja 300 will take some more time due to personal commitments, I thought of not delaying to thank my bhpian friend audioholic aka Sankalp!

He has helped me throughout since last year May-Jun 2019 when I decided to go in for Ninja 300. He was not in India when I made the decision, but when I approached he was sweet enough to call me to take me through Ninja 300 ownership and deciding on going in for a new one vs the pre-owned which I decided on initially.
You neednt be so thankful buddy I helped you when I could and to the extent possible, and that was nothing too demanding or over the top. This is a community where we give and take and similar to you I have got a lot of help and assistance from various members over time. Since I understood that it was an aspirational purchase for you, I just wanted to share my learnings and experience with the bike so that it could benefit you in some way. I am happy to do this and glad you appreciate the same.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 20:43   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Every time my dad watches me do some TLC to the bike, he delivers his usual dialogue - "You work on the bike more than you ride it". Well, I dont have a counter argument for that. While the last time I washed the Ninja was in December 2019, I had hardly covered 500kms in the last three months. In between there was one round of chain lube and apart from that I hadnt bothered much about the bike due to excessive travelling both to Germany and locally. I had decided right at the time of buying the bike that this bike would be cared for, more seriously than my riding goals. That unfortunately became the norm but I cant help it. The bike is so well crafted that leaving it dirty is an insult to me and I just cant stand it. The ceramic coating done all over the bike helps to a large extent. Heck, I have coated even the mudguard and the underside of the seat area so that mud and slush wont stick to it and it works well. This somewhat keeps the bike clean, except for dust in the cowl underside.

Due to the lockdown, I did some long pending TLC on the bike. First thing was to address the disgusting and slimy sprocket area, which is like this:
The sprocket cover

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-dirtysprcvr.jpg

The sprocket area:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-sludge.jpg

It is impossible to clean this area so I had to remove the speed sensor and the bracket holding the speed sensor to make the job easier. The dirty speed sensor bracket:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-speedsensbracket.jpg

This took a good amount of degreaser, diesel, chain cleaner to get it to an intermediate state before washing:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-sprockinter.jpg

Also cleaned the bracket:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-cleanspdsensbr.jpg

After this, I gave the entire bike a pressure wash, followed by reassembling the parts around the sprocket area with appropriate lubricants. Since I had removed the gear shifter linkage, I also made it a point to lubricate the link rod ends with some cavity wax under the rubber boot. This made the gearshift slick and with good feedback to the foot since there was a sort of a rubbery feeling earlier to the gearshifter(not the gears itself).

Here is the bike after 2.5 years of sparing use:
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-full1.jpg
Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-final2.jpg

The PPF on the tank cover was installed sometime back and this was not completely covering the tank. Hence, I reinstalled the PPF but with an improved one this time which is self healing as well as water repelling. Since the shape of the tank is very complicated, I had wrapped the PPF on the sides separately while the top was separate. I only replaced the top portion since the sides are holding up very well. There is a border found in the edge, but I will live with it. Trying to cover the entire tank with one piece of PPF will lead to excessive stretching of the film which I would not prefer.

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-ppfwip.jpg

Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300-ppfwip-2.jpg

When this lockdown ends, I wish to put some miles on the bike since its pretty long pending.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd April 2020 at 20:57.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed