BANNED

Re: Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
First step for cost cutting?
Not really, the actual reason is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Perhaps the tropics calls for more viscous lubrication.
Absolutely, the official press release says that it is due to the observation that owners do not bother to warm up the engine at cold starts and hence a thicker oil will help maintain the engine better.

Which dealership did you pick your ride up from? What was the OTR price breakup?

Last edited by n.devdath : 25th April 2018 at 16:43.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 17:43   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Which dealership did you pick your ride up from? What was the OTR price breakup?
92212 including insurance Bumber to Bumber, side rails, side stand and Helmet.

Navin- I had a good experience and the Karan the manager is a great guy..!!! The works manager Srinivas also seemed to be a good guy and got all that I wanted to do on my ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-otp.jpg  

Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 17:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely, the official press release says that it is due to the observation that owners do not bother to warm up the engine at cold starts and hence a thicker oil will help maintain the engine better.
err, please correct me if I am wrong, won't thicker oils take time to circulate? My general Observation, the SR 150's engine run really hot, maybe that's the reason?
Old 25th April 2018, 19:30   #64
BHPian

Quote:
err, please correct me if I am wrong, won't thicker oils take time to circulate? My general Observation, the SR 150's engine run really hot, maybe that's the reason?
The film oil remains on the frictional surfaces due to the viscosity during cold start and you can speed away. If the oil is less viscous and you don't warm up, you could have a potential engine seizure.

The engine runs hot and the oil decreases in viscosity at high temperature and continues to lubricate. What I noticed after the oil change is that the boke is much smoother and the NHV levels have come down. Flip side is it decelerates faster once the throttle is closed.
Old 25th April 2018, 20:25   #65
BHPian

I had mentioned the change from Agip to Castrol a few months ago when I went for service. Both the engine and gearbox oil are now Castrol.

When I asked the manager why they changed to the thicker grade, he was giving some vague answer, something like most customers use it full throttle from the get go, so a thicker oil is needed to provide lubrication when the engine is cold. Could this be the reason?

I am anyhow contemplating a change to Motul 10W40 during my next oil change.
Old 26th April 2018, 00:57   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post

When I asked the manager why they changed to the thicker grade, he was giving some vague answer, something like most customers use it full throttle from the get go, so a thicker oil is needed to provide lubrication when the engine is cold. Could this be the reason?

It's the other way around actually. A thinner oil would help cold starts while a thicker oil would help in hot weather when the engine runs in full throttle.
Old 26th April 2018, 06:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Flip side is it decelerates faster once the throttle is closed.
That was bound to happen because of the viscous drag. Regarding the smoothness yes I agree to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
It's the other way around actually. A thinner oil would help cold starts while a thicker oil would help in hot weather when the engine runs in full throttle.
Yes, that was what I wanted to convey.

Has any one tried to carry their own engine oil? Planning to use Shell from next oil change.
Old 26th April 2018, 10:54   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
I am aware of this. Not only will a thicker oil take more time to circulate through the engine, it also might not be able to get into some very tight gaps which have been designed keeping a thinner oil in mind. This is why I'm considering switching back to a thinner oil.

Quote:

Has any one tried to carry their own engine oil? Planning to use Shell from next oil change.

I have this same query as well. I don't think they will object very strongly to a customer bringing his own oil, since we'll have to pay for labour. But how will it affect my warranty?

Also, AFAIK Shell does not sell 5W40 motorcycle oil in India. All I could find from the shell and Motul range was 10W40.
Old 26th April 2018, 11:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:

I guess, for a cold start a thinner oil works best as it quickly reaches all the areas where maximum wear and tear happen internally. A thicker oil, as I had posted on another forum, makes the engine work harder and thereby lose a fraction of its power.
Most Jap scooters ( Suzuki, Yamaha) are recommending 10W30 grade oils! However, I feel, out of my experience using a good 20W40 mineral or a fully synthetic 0/10W40 would be ideal for the engine. Fully synthetic for eg. 10W40 ( W being winter) would retain its viscocity at lower temperatures aiding cold-starts.

Last edited by Crankpin : 26th April 2018 at 11:56.
Old 12th July 2018, 17:25   #70
BHPian

Second Service Update-
  1. Showroom skipped the second service coupon and put me on to 3 service as the time had lapsed.
  2. Switched Castrol Magnatec 10W40 (700ML) for engine and MGP fully synthetic 70W90 (110ML) for Gearbox.
  3. The smoothness is unbelievable and overall NHV levels are down significantly.
  4. The Gearbox does not heat up and the the nasty noise of the gears meshing with the 90 grade oil.
  5. Biggest benefit is the deceleration is significantly changed and do not feel the drag from the highly viscous gearbox.
  6. The bike falls in neutral (clutch) at 20KMPH and helps glide down hill. Any one with a Kinetic will know what I mean.
  7. Spedo worm was oiled and air filter element cleaned with compressed air.
Old 13th July 2018, 18:01   #71
BHPian

Sorry that was B75W80 gear oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-gear-oil.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-engile-oil.jpg  

Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 20:59   #72
BHPian

My ride has a new top case and though will post some pictures. This is in steps of removing the OE part and replacing it with the new carrier. I had to add some washers in the centre alan as the stand was fouling the plastic cladding behind the tail lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-8.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-4.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-6.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-1.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-11.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-9.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-12.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-13.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-14.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-16.jpg  

Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150-5.jpg