Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2017, 18:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Avantura Choppers launches Rudra and Pravega 2000cc bikes

New Indian brand called Avantura is planning to launch 2000cc high-end choppers bikes.

Avantura Choppers launches Rudra and Pravega 2000cc bikes-avantura.jpg

Quoting from the article in TOI :
Quote:
Avantura Choppers, co-founded by bike enthusiasts Gaurav A Aggarwal and Vijay Singh, has signed deals with global original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) S&S, Mustang & Kellermann, to import components for the models it intends to launch next month.

With 2,000-CC engines, these bikes will come at a price point of above `20 lakh each. At present, only Indian, Harley-Davidson and Triumphs have costlier options.

"I am a chopper lover, and I have been researching about these bikes since the last seven years. Two years ago, I decided to launch Avantura to make these bikes in India, which are made for Indian roads," said Aggarwal, who heads the venture as its chief executive. He claimed that his company would be the first organised player, with relevant certifications.

"There are 29 tests to clear before we can launch. This included 16 component tests and 13 motorcycle tests. We have carried noise and emission tests and other important tests and await certifications," said Vijay Singh, chief revenue officer, Avantura.
Avantura Choppers launches Rudra and Pravega 2000cc bikes-avantura-1.jpg

Chopper is a design style used in bikes where steering angles are modified heavily & along with lengthened forks which gives it a stretched-out appearance.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 27th October 2017 at 18:11.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 18:47   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Avantura Choppers launches Rudra and Pravega 2000cc bikes

This seems to be a nice initiative - but is there a market for choppers in India? They are impractical on our roads - be it within city or outside the city.

They seem to be using one of the best OE parts on their bikes - Avon tires and Mustang seats.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

I wonder, from where they are going to source the 2000cc V twin, and the frame of the bikes.

Wont be surprised, if this turns out to be a Harley/Indian Mod-Job company (like the ones showcased on Biker Build Off TV shows).
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 09:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I wonder, from where they are going to source the 2000cc V twin, and the frame of the bikes.

Wont be surprised, if this turns out to be a Harley/Indian Mod-Job company (like the ones showcased on Biker Build Off TV shows).
S&S is their source of engines. They make huge v-twin engines specifically for choppers. Most of the custom bike builders in USA use their engines.

If I'm not wrong even Confederate uses their engines.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 13:01   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can a newbie just come in & build high-end motorcycles like this? Saying because there is no way a newbie can just walk in and build cars (Tesla is an exception). There's a lot of engineering that goes into the vehicles of today. A 2000cc motorcycle would require talented engineering to ride competently & safely.

And at 20 lakhs, they don't exactly have any brand pull either.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 09:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can a newbie just come in & build high-end motorcycles like this? Saying because there is no way a newbie can just walk in and build cars (Tesla is an exception). There's a lot of engineering that goes into the vehicles of today. A 2000cc motorcycle would require talented engineering to ride competently & safely.

And at 20 lakhs, they don't exactly have any brand pull either.
Cannot agree more! A lot of chopper customizers in USA get the frames, engines and transmission from Harley or some such third party OEM vendors and assemble and customize the rest.
Looking at their press release, I think they are going to do the same.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:33   #7
BANNED

Being from a land where owning a poorly built machine with prehistoric technology is seen to be manly I have no doubt that a 20L chopper would sell as long it appeals to the eye and feels well endowed on paper.

Every time I witness form prevail over function I feel a void deepen inside of me, but all is good as long as anything is fueled by passion and not greed.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Cannot agree more! A lot of chopper customizers in USA get the frames, engines and transmission from Harley or some such third party OEM vendors and assemble and customize the rest.
Looking at their press release, I think they are going to do the same.
There are some reputed names, like Rajputana customs etc, who have already produced some amazing work.
It would have probably helped, if they could have included already established names/brands, in their venture.
As it stands today, they have no brand identity in the market today, and it is hard to build one, especially with a Rs 20 Lakh price tag and single digit sales.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 11:24   #9
BHPian

I may be biased because I absolutely detest choppers, but if there would be any takers for these it would likely be from the "more money than brains club". 20L for a relatively no-name brand seems like they're making a huge markup on the prices, looking to ripoff some vulnerable buyers seeking the "macho" feel.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 11:25   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Can a newbie just come in & build high-end motorcycles like this?
I dont think they will "manufacture" them here, that is in no way viable. It could be an assembly attempt by mixing and matching various parts or a kit from some unknown manufacturer, like UM for example.

Selling them is going to be a completely different challenge that will need a much larger displacement, of gut and grit, 2000cc won't suffice...!!!
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 10:43   #11
BHPian

Even if they assemble and sell it at 20L+ pricetag, I just hope this won't turn out to be another scam in the industry like the previous incidents from Eider motors and Terra motors.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ver-fraud.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...superbike.html
Old 6th November 2017, 10:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can a newbie just come in & build high-end motorcycles like this?
I think it should be do-able because this is not ground up design. They are after all buying all parts from various tested OEs. If you see some of the popular TV shows on Discovery/History around chopper builders, all they customize is the fuel tank, seat, fenders, handle bar and paint job. Chassis, engine, transmission and brakes are straight lift from reputed OEs.

Question remains though on how big this market is especially when there are quite a few folks out there who can churn out cheaper choppers on a RE chassis/engine combo.

Personally, I hate these choppers and I find them just another expression of American eccentricity for the sake of it.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 11:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motorcycles are not complicated. Customs are fairly simple in design and follows buy components and assemble. Customs fundamental needs are a proper work shop which has a strong fabrication team, painting team and quality governance. The main work is probably in creating custom orders where the frame may need some customization. The ones they are building now and testing will go through enough testing to buy with confidence.

I am happy they decided to go S&S for engine. They are pretty reliable engine in that segment and fairly reputed.

These are perfect bikes for the weekend mudhalayarkuppam rides. The engine is well reputed. How they mate it with a transmission and complete the build cycle will decide.

@20L i think they can provide quality and to an extent reliability. Afterall we have HD fairly doing well inspite of buyers confidence on their reliability.

Last edited by VW2010 : 6th November 2017 at 11:42.
Old 7th November 2017, 16:02   #14
BHPian

I agree. A totally unknown brand launching a bike at 20 lacs gives me serious doubt on the success factor. Also isn't the brand name a tad too similar to Avventura by Fiat? Won't it give rise to trademark issues?
Old 7th November 2017, 17:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub.g84 View Post
I agree. A totally unknown brand launching a bike at 20 lacs gives me serious doubt on the success factor. Also isn't the brand name a tad too similar to Avventura by Fiat? Won't it give rise to trademark issues?
Totally, Would like them to make one in The ABAARTH state of tune *pun intended*

Jokes Aside, Yup would really like to know the regulations put by the RTO on this one; Never seen a custom chopper 2000 cc with a Saree guard

Most Viewed