Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2019, 23:38   #31
BANNED

Re: My 2007 Pulsar 220 FI – Tribute to a wonderful companion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Yes. But RS200 acceleration is way too linear compared to 220FI.
You're comparing apples to oranges sir'ji, I was comparing the NS to the RS and DTSi to DTSFi, the FI variants make stronger torque at lower rev's, hence it would be a loss to go for a Carb conversion.

For maintenance and alternatives Praful would be a good source of information considering his mileage.

Quote:
When you say bend pipe are you referring to the silencer manifold? Because FI silencer doesn’t have a catcon compared to DTSI edition.
Yeah the manifold, the part nearing the end can seems to be considerably bigger on your motorcycle, mines way thinner in comparison.

I've been told that there are a few different types of exhausts for the P220 based on year of manufacture, though I'm not sure about the specifics.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 17:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I've been told that there are a few different types of exhausts for the P220 based on year of manufacture, though I'm not sure about the specifics.
The exhaust has gone through multiple changes over the years, I guess even Bajaj has lost track. Within the Fi generation itself there were multiple iterations of the exhaust. After the Dts-i there were fewer iterations, but then I sort of lost track over the last 4 years on the changes. But the newer exhaust version certainly are a bit thinner than what originally came on the Fi.

Also, the cat-con less Fi exhaust sounded way more throaty than the Dts-i.

I have (un)fortunately been through around 8 exhausts through the lifetime of the bike. Had to change them either in warranty or out of warranty due to manufacturing issues and a few times due to accidents. The quality has certainly improved over the last few years, the exhaust do last a longer than they did earlier. Just for fun, the exhaust on the Fi used to cost 3.5K, then it suddenly jumped to 9K with the advent of Dts-i (thank you cat-con). My bike presently is running a dts-i exhaust as Fi exhaust's stopped being produced more than 7-8 years back.

I see a lot of recent posts complaining about the comfort of the ergos on the bike, while I can't say the bike is super comfortable, but it isn't all that bad either. It is also a factor of your size, if you or your pillion are too tall (or big) for the bike then it is bound to be uncomfortable. I've done single day 1000+ kms rides on the bike multiple times, and have never reached home dead tired due to ergonomics of the bike.

For pillion comfort, I got a backrest fabricated which solved most (if not all) back pain issues.

My 2007 Pulsar 220 FI – Tribute to a wonderful companion!-14125569_10154603267701282_108276296409249893_o.jpg

The other problems with pillion comfort is to do with the position of the pillion footrests. They are too close to the seat and hence make the position quite cramped over longer distance, not to forget that at higher speeds the pillion footrests vibrate a LOT causing numbness in the feet after the pillion has been in the seat for a couple of hours. I wouldn't recommend touring with a pillion on the 220, it is doable, but only if the pillion is fit and/or young and not too big.

But in terms of rider comfort it is more about getting used to the stance, I probably wouldn't have done the handle bar mod like Ashwin. But thats just me, I prefer not to change the bike too much
praful is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 02:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
The exhaust has gone through multiple changes over the years, I guess even Bajaj has lost track. Within the Fi generation itself there were multiple iterations of the exhaust. After the Dts-i there were fewer iterations, but then I sort of lost track over the last 4 years on the changes. But the newer exhaust version certainly are a bit thinner than what originally came on the Fi.
Hey Praful - how’s the bike holding man? Are you still running FI system? I’m curious to know how you are managing to get the bike serviced and those fuel filters that requires changing every 5-6k kms. I’m finding it difficult to source the fuel filters. In case you know any source that can get me the fuel filter that’d be helpful let me know the reading of your bike. Oh btw mine is the second exhaust as the first one had leakages that led to rivets on the silencer cab loosened. Got it repacked sometime in 2008 and no issues with silencer since then (touchwood)
Old 15th February 2019, 15:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Praful - how’s the bike holding man? Are you still running FI system? I’m curious to know how you are managing to get the bike serviced and those fuel filters that requires changing every 5-6k kms. I’m finding it difficult to source the fuel filters. In case you know any source that can get me the fuel filter that’d be helpful let me know the reading of your bike. Oh btw mine is the second exhaust as the first one had leakages that led to rivets on the silencer cab loosened. Got it repacked sometime in 2008 and no issues with silencer since then (touchwood)
The bike is holding on fine. It is hardly used nowadays as it is lying parked in a friend's garage because I left the country. He is using for some of his local transportation needs, just so that the bike keeps running.

Yes, the bike is still Fi and I intend on keeping it that way till it is impossible to keep it that way. Yes, the fuel filters need replacement every 3-6K kms that is how it has always been. I always keep 2-3 filters in spare stock with me, however I change it at the service center. Since I got the new fuel pump a couple of years back, I have the fuei filter with the newer design there are 3 nozzles in this one as this is similar to the KTM fuel filter. And it is easy to get this. If you have the older mode with just two nozzles (1 inlet and 1 outlet) then it is very hard to get that filter. I would instead recommend that you get a Maruti 800/Omini fuel filter, its a direct fit for the 2 nozzle filter and it lasts longer than stock filters too, but it does look a bit ugly as it pop out a little from under the tank. Contact AutoService in Banashankari II stage for sourcing the fuel filter. Speak with Mr. Babu who is the head supervisor/manager there, very very helpful person as I have been dealing with him for almost 12 years now, you can take my name as well.

The meter reading is a measly 30K kms, but in reality it is around 1.3L as my initial meter stopped running at around 94K kms and then I rode for about 7-8K kms without a functioning speedo console.

You're lucky with the silencer, I guess mine used to crack due to extended running on highway speeds. The older silencers were of poor quality, but the last two exahusts have last almost 25-30K kms each so they are much much quality than before. You're lucky to have the Fi exhaust, I miss the growl from my bike and also the Fi exhaust made the bike a bit more free revving.
praful is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 21:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the bike is still Fi and I intend on keeping it that way till it is impossible to keep it that way. Yes, the fuel filters need replacement every 3-6K kms that is how it has always been. I always keep 2-3 filters in spare stock with me, however I change it at the service center. Since I got the new fuel pump a couple of years back, I have the fuei filter with the newer design there are 3 nozzles in this one as this is similar to the KTM fuel filter. And it is easy to get this. If you have the older mode with just two nozzles (1 inlet and 1 outlet) then it is very hard to get that filter. I would instead recommend that you get a Maruti 800/Omini fuel filter, its a direct fit for the 2 nozzle filter and it lasts longer than stock filters too, but it does look a bit ugly as it pop out a little from under the tank. Contact AutoService in Banashankari II stage for sourcing the fuel filter. Speak with Mr. Babu who is the head supervisor/manager there, very very helpful person as I have been dealing with him for almost 12 years now, you can take my name as well.
Oh you changed the fuel pump as well? Any compatible ones in case I encounter a similar situation in future? Will the KTM’s work? I have the 2 nozzles one and yes I had spoken with auto service guys who’d suggested the same method of sourcing m800 fuel filter. Will source one shortly and will arrange for a swap. I absolutely want to avoid switching to carb at any cost.

Quote:
You're lucky with the silencer, I guess mine used to crack due to extended running on highway speeds. The older silencers were of poor quality, but the last two exahusts have last almost 25-30K kms each so they are much much quality than before. You're lucky to have the Fi exhaust, I miss the growl from my bike and also the Fi exhaust made the bike a bit more free revving.
Thanks man. Yeah, I’m lucky to have it running and yes I agree the sound is entirely different to the DTSI. Now I’m worried to swap with DTSI one in case this comes apart. Touchwood. It’s worked well for over 10 years hope it continues to be that way.
Old 18th February 2019, 19:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh you changed the fuel pump as well? Any compatible ones in case I encounter a similar situation in future? Will the KTM’s work? I have the 2 nozzles one and yes I had spoken with auto service guys who’d suggested the same method of sourcing m800 fuel filter. Will source one shortly and will arrange for a swap. I absolutely want to avoid switching to carb at any cost.
I think it would best if you order a fuel pump and keep it spare, its expensive but its like insurance for the bike. The pump will eventually fail given our fuel quality.

No other fuel pump will work as a replacement because it is something that is built exactly for the 220 and needs to have the same mounting points.

I used the M800 filter a couple of years back because the two nozzle filter went out of stock for many many months at stretch. There is no change in performance or any negative side effects.
Old 19th February 2019, 17:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it would best if you order a fuel pump and keep it spare, its expensive but its like insurance for the bike. The pump will eventually fail given our fuel quality.

No other fuel pump will work as a replacement because it is something that is built exactly for the 220 and needs to have the same mounting points.

I used the M800 filter a couple of years back because the two nozzle filter went out of stock for many many months at stretch. There is no change in performance or any negative side effects.
My mechanic was telling me fuel pump availability is something that can’t be guaranteed. Besides, he’s also skeptical of the fact if they will take the order for the fuel pump. Do you’ve an estimate as to how much did it cost you back then?
Old 19th February 2019, 23:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My mechanic was telling me fuel pump availability is something that can’t be guaranteed. Besides, he’s also skeptical of the fact if they will take the order for the fuel pump. Do you’ve an estimate as to how much did it cost you back then?
Speak to AutoService, you may need to pay upfront and wait a few weeks though for the pump to arrive but you should definitely be able to order.

I unfortunately don't remember the cost of the fuel pump, IIRC it was around 3.8K.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

It’s been quite a long time since I posted updates here. Bike is doing good with its age hardly shown. However, had a minor incident with front brake completely dead for nearly over 3 months, I was using the bike in the same condition with absolutely carelessness or over-confidence. One night while getting back from office, I was hovering around 20-25kmph knowing the bikes front brake condition, but it was raining and roads were slippery. One of the cabbies didn’t notice me and just stopped right in front of me and I couldn’t stop the bike in time leading for a significant damage to his side fender and my bike has a bent fork. As for now, I still haven’t got it fixed due to work commitments. Will be getting it fixed very shortly. Bike is now reserved for early morning gym rides which is quite near to my house.

But, yes I’ve some refreshing news too

Since the bike was getting too old, I felt it was time for some pure upgrade this time because 220 FI has always served me well for 12 years and still counting.

June 28th, I decided to get a companion to my oldie-Goldie 220. Say hello to the twin cylinder Ninja 300 ownership thread will be drafted at a later date.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2007 Pulsar 220 FI – Tribute to a wonderful companion!-e08e7cbe54b84d8f8e358ab14eaf9ba2.jpeg  

My 2007 Pulsar 220 FI – Tribute to a wonderful companion!-7ae98c48e8e54893b929aee957946044.jpeg  

gururajrv is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 22:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

This thread is almost silent because my major driver has been my car. Ninja is also sparingly used due to work shift demands.

When I planned on biting more miles on ninja and 220 atleast on weekends, lockdown was enforced, which forced the bikes to stay under their covers. Both bikes had gathered a lot of dust and today I did some washing and chain maintenance.

Ninja thread is still yet to be planned & drafted as I don’t have much pictures of it with me due to limited city run.

Just posting pics of both bikes that got some nice wash.

220 has a dead battery now due to almost zero usage causing this to happen. However, I’ve made it a point to keep firing Ninja as much as possible during the week for a quick 10 min idle run while I clean car and do a idle run on it too.

220’s condition before the wash:
My 2007 Pulsar 220 FI – Tribute to a wonderful companion!-e2f42c08f0a0426a98977ce7e3d3c62b.jpeg
After wash with Ninja:
My 2007 Pulsar 220 FI – Tribute to a wonderful companion!-e9e0d6a68c9b49a194059645717fa17b.jpeg

I am going to get a new battery to fire up 220 as conventional push starting the bike also didn’t work due to low voltage supplied to fuel pump isn’t sufficient for it to push the fuel to the injectors / engine.

As of now, it’s looking refreshing and is pretty much under the cover.

Stay safe, stay home!

Regards

RV
gururajrv is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 02:27   #41
BANNED

Quote:
I did some washing
Wash stationary motorcycles with caution.

I once washed my P220 and after what I thought was adequate drying, left her to sit idle for a few months, end result was that the chassis had rusted, it wasnt noticeable until I stripped the motorcycle, had to spend a day scraping rust off and applying primer and paint.

Most susceptible areas for rusting are the weld joints.

There were a few grounding issues that popped up as well, but nothing serious or worth mentioning.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 20th April 2020 at 02:29.
Old 20th April 2020, 02:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wash stationary motorcycles with caution.

I once washed my P220 and after what I thought was adequate drying, left her to sit idle for a few months, end result was that the chassis had rusted, it wasnt noticeable until I stripped the motorcycle, had to spend a day scraping rust off and applying primer and paint.

Most susceptible areas for rusting are the weld joints.

There were a few grounding issues that popped up as well, but nothing serious or worth mentioning.

Regards,
A.P.
Thanks A.P! Yes, I’ve read your thread. You think applying oil would help prevent / slow down the rusting process? I’ve left over semi synthetic oil with me, can I just apply it over welding joints as you mentioned?
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 06:46   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks A.P! Yes, I’ve read your thread. You think applying oil would help prevent / slow down the rusting process? I’ve left over semi synthetic oil with me, can I just apply it over welding joints as you mentioned?
Not necessary, though it would help if you make sure that both motorcycles are properly dry.

If possible ride them a few times within your compound etc, cause sometimes water gets inside connectors and remains there until the motor is hot enough for it to evaporate.

An Indian origin enthusiast who restores motorcycles abroad used to tell me that motorcycles aren't waterproof and should not be washed and only wiped.

Again, I do not know how practical that would be for people who ride in India but nonetheless he has a point, cause even when we ride in heavy downpours the critical parts of the motorcycle seldom gets wet and even if they do it wouldn't be for long as the heat from the motor would cause the water to evaporate.

Having said all that, do make it a point to keep an eye on the neck/rake of the chassis, I personally know people who've had mishaps from ignoring the said part, mostly because panels get in the way of observing it, especially on faired motorcycles.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Did you run your bike with the 3 nozzle filter? I got mine changed when my fuel pump died out on me (in 2012), and with the 3 nozzle filter, I used to get a lot of knocking at low revs after 5-10 minutes of driving which led me to ultimately sell my P220. I used to tank him up at a COCO pump so fuel quality was not an issue.

Have never driven a bike more connected and responsive after that. I will be in the market for D400 in a few months but hopefully Bajaj has ironed out their FI systems now.
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oil will run off after a few washes and will be a dust magnet. You might be better off either blow-drying the bike with compressed air, or at least wiping it dry. Or instead of oil, you could use WD40, but this again like oil would need frequent application after every 1-2 washes.

Quote:
Again, I do not know how practical that would be for people who ride in India but nonetheless he has a point, cause even when we ride in heavy downpours the critical parts of the motorcycle seldom gets wet and even if they do it wouldn't be for long as the heat from the motor would cause the water to evaporate.
While that is more or less true, with the 220 (especially the Fi) water washes can be quite notorious, with water getting into many electrical connectors. The diagnostic port connector and the connectors under the fairing are especially prone to this. Over a long term, water settles in and starts causing rust in the connectors, leading to either cutting and manually joining a new connector (not best-case solution for the Fi) or replacing the entire wiring harness (quite expensive, was around 2.7K when I last changed it).

The relays around the battery are also prone to getting water in after a wash. Many times after a wash I have had misfiring or bike shutting down and it always boiled down to water getting clogged into some electrical connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Did you run your bike with the 3 nozzle filter? I got mine changed when my fuel pump died out on me (in 2012), and with the 3 nozzle filter, I used to get a lot of knocking at low revs after 5-10 minutes of driving which led me to ultimately sell my P220. I used to tank him up at a COCO pump so fuel quality was not an issue.

Have never driven a bike more connected and responsive after that. I will be in the market for D400 in a few months but hopefully Bajaj has ironed out their FI systems now.

Eventually, I did move to the 3 nozzle filter as well when my fuel pump died as well.

Knocking on low revs would mostly have been due to improper tuning after the change in the pump and maybe cleaning of the injector would have helped as well. Also, similar to a fuel filter change, with the pump as well you would need frequent tune-ups for the initial 2K km (at least 3 times) to ensure the tuning is working as expected till it settles in.

The responsiveness was really good for its time (2007-2012), but I think many other bikes came in after which were/are far more responsive. Case in point the Duke 200/390 which are of course more powerful, but also quite responsive and fun to ride. The Dominar (and 200NS) never felt as responsive as their KTM counterparts, this was at least the versions I tried riding in 2017, not sure if things have changed now.

Last edited by praful : 23rd April 2020 at 14:17.
praful is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks