Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2017, 13:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: TVS to launch electric Jupiter by June 2018

TVS is reportedly working on an electric scooter based on the Jupiter. It is rumoured to be launched by June 2018.

It has been reported that the new electric scooter will have a lithium-ion battery, which will power an electric motor. The battery is expected to offer a maximum range of 50 km.

Rumour: TVS to launch electric Jupiter by June 2018-tvsjupiter_gold.jpg

Now, electric 2-wheelers are not new to the Indian market. Hero Electric and Ampere have been selling e-bikes for the last 3-4 years. But, a recent shift in the government's policy has forced mainstream 2-wheeler brands to rethink their future product strategy.

Bajaj is working on a new electric 2-wheeler which is expected to be launched in 2020. Mahindra is reportedly working on an electric version of the Gusto. The company is also planning to introduce its US-based GenZe brand in India.

Hero MotoCorp has recently invested Rs. 205 crore in Ather Energy – a Bangalore based startup. The company is likely to launch its first electric scooter – S340, in three Indian cities by early 2018. They recently announced their plan to invest Rs. 60 crores in its manufacturing facility near Bangalore.

Source: Economic Times
TusharK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 14:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: TVS to launch electric Jupiter by June 2018

While its great to see more electric two-wheelers from major companies, I hope they update the electric vehicles yearly with better range. As the battery technology is improving at a rapid pace, if there are good options with 100KM+ range, then it will be great for consumers and the country.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2017 at 09:32. Reason: typo
Old 1st November 2017, 16:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

For starters, I don't think 50 km range is bad. I had only 2 other concerns in going for an EV bike:

- Longevity of batteries. There are quite a few complaints on Hero electric bikes' batteries.
- Top speeds. A max speed of 60 should take care of all urban runs.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 22:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
For starters, I don't think 50 km range is bad. I had only 2 other concerns in going for an EV bike:

- Longevity of batteries. There are quite a few complaints on Hero electric bikes' batteries.
Point 1 is extremely important for us who live in hot and humid condition, even Duke's IC engine struggles to cool itself during peak summer! heck even my phone battery drains quickly after a ride, battery heats upto 38 degree while doing no work inside my pocket
Old 2nd November 2017, 00:51   #5
BHPian

I wonder what TVS is using for cells? Packet cells? 18650s...Also 50km? That about 30ish miles for us non metric people. I wonder how the performance is since that could either mean under 30 miles which isnt ideal range for an EV.
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

50Kms looks like the maximum range.
In real scenarios, it could be lesser than that, like say 40-45Km.
And someone with a heavy right hand (like me), could see even less, like say 30-35Km.

This is a serious handicap.
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
This is a serious handicap.
Some bikes, like one in my family don't do anything more than 10-20 kms a day at the most. That's why I said, its ok for starters (i.e 1st generation of EV bikes).

The entry cost for Hero's EVs are at 35-45K on road. If their batteries were to be replaced frequently (like within a year), its not going to make financial sense.
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:28   #8
BHPian

I am also looking for good electric alternative, just for the purpose of experience of EV. I want to replace my Activa which is only used for small trips, maximum is 60 kms return distance which will be covered. I will be happy to have scooter with 80 to 100 KM range and peppy characteristic of EV with top speed 60 kmph. I think it is reasonable demand and I am ready to spend 1L rupees in which battery should have reasonable warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks