Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2018, 09:35   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 seems to have caught the fancy of a royal family member in the UK...

They build it first. We revive it (and how). Then we sell it back to them.

Thumbs up to you, Siddhartha Lal.
rideon74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 10:20   #287
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I think many have gone too far on both sides...
Well said. Exactly my views too. I particularly liked your 1/2 BHP point. I use the same argument with people who talk about the specifications of Music Systems, TV's, Cameras etc. At the end of the day as you said "It should just feel right" or as I say the person riding/listening/watching should just say "Wow, this thing just feels/sounds/looks awesome". That's all that matters.
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 11:16   #288
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

I am just waiting to experience these new machines. The interceptor model is a perfect fit for my requirement. If I am not wrong, RE is expected to launch these bikes by August-Sept in the Indian market; but before that I hope review would be available as these are scheduled to be launched in Australian market earlier.

Bonneville Street Twin is undeniably better engineered alternative to Interceptor but given the expected price point of RE 650 and the package in offer, in my opinion, this sounds good.

I hope unlike Himalayan, quality and reliability will be taken care of enough to justify the hype it created and to make its own space, in both Indian and International market.

Let us wait!
Old 11th May 2018, 22:00   #289
Senior - BHPian

News reports flowing in, Sid Lal has mentioned that they are addressing issues related to ramping up the productions and that the twins would be available in a few months.

A few months? Whatever that means. A few weeks would have surely been more comforting and since the launch hasn't happened even in the low volume markets like they had planned, I somehow feel like RE is losing steam, and all the spotlight they gathered since EICMA is starting to scatter around a bit.

Maybe they should have restricted the EICMA unveil to just the engine and specs, and saved the unveil of the bikes for a later date - like March this year, to sustain interest and to make it a successful marketing exercise.
Old 11th May 2018, 22:46   #290
BHPian

Perhaps a case of once bitten twice shy? They have had a very bad experience with one new, indigenous product launch earlier and any hurrying to get another one (two actually) into the market without due diligence to quality and rigorous testing will definitely cause severe branding damages this time around. Social media and other competitors will have field day amplifying any short comings.

All the silence around the twins after EICMA seems to point to this one focus. It seems like RE knows that they will not get a second chance with the twins (should the products let down the customers) and be forgiven this time around.

My take on it is that it is way better for them to do whatever it takes to get the twins up to challenge of taking RE to the next level. The DNA of the twins are, after all, going to be around for quite some time to come - with only the usual iterations of colour schemes changing over the next decade or so.
rideon74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 09:13   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
All the silence around the twins after EICMA seems to point to this one focus. It seems like RE knows that they will not get a second chance with the twins (should the products let down the customers) and be forgiven this time around.

My take on it is that it is way better for them to do whatever it takes to get the twins up to challenge of taking RE to the next level. The DNA of the twins are, after all, going to be around for quite some time to come - with only the usual iterations of colour schemes changing over the next decade or so.
That's what I feel too.

This is a very important product for RE being their first twin in modern times, something which they know can click or get doomed depending on how good/bad it is and unlike the Himalayan which was a niche segment, this holds a lot of potential for sales.

I am one of those who would love a Street Twin, but not at that price point , so the next best option would be this and I am sure there will be many like me.

Hoping they bring out a niggle free bike.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 10:58   #292
Senior - BHPian

Pricing would be very crucial:

INR 3.0-3.25 Lakhs is Ideal according to me. But probably would go beyond that.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 11:25   #293
BHPian

Even it touches 4 lakhs, it will find its own space as there is no equivalent model at similar displacement capacity and price range in Indian market. This product has the potential to be successful in India.

Street Twin is way too costly for average Indian riders. So is Ducati. Baby Harley or 750 does not have similar profile and belongs to a different genre.

The only concern is reliability factor with any new product from RE. Himalayan was a mess and RE cannot afford another misadventure with 650 twins.
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 11:49   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Even it touches 4 lakhs, it will find its own space as there is no equivalent model at similar displacement capacity and price range in Indian market. This product has the potential to be successful in India....The only concern is reliability factor with any new product from RE. Himalayan was a mess and RE cannot afford another misadventure with 650 twins.

I agree on the pricing amount being at a max of 4 lakhs OTR. The twins should not be downgraded in quality or reliability for the sake of pricing or sales figures.

Your point about RE carving out a niche segment with the twins is spot on. For which, the above mentioned pricing would be fine and would be akin to the introduction of a kind of exclusivity from RE.

The response from RE in tidying up its show with the BS4 variant is heartening and looks like they are not willing to take any chances with in-house production quality or OE vendor standards.

Makes the whole wait and watch period a tad more exciting, I say!
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 12:05   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
I agree on the pricing amount being at a max of 4 lakhs OTR. The twins should not be downgraded in quality or reliability for the sake of pricing or sales figures.
Why would they need to price it as high as the CKD Yamaha R3 - to maintain quality and reliability?

They're two different category bikes. Just talking about the manufacturing costs.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th May 2018 at 12:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 12:44   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why would they need to price it as high as the CKD Yamaha R3 - to maintain quality and reliability?

They're two different category bikes. Just talking about the manufacturing costs.
Ah..that's a good point you've raised there. I don't think any one would want RE to price the Twins on the higher side. If they'll be sold at a lesser price bracket, it would send cheers around our riding community.

What was being stated (as individual opinions) was that many of us would be reluctantly okay even with a price bracket that's on the wrong side of 3.5 lakhs OTR (top limit 4 lakhs) provided RE gives us enough bang for the buck & reliability. I for one would swallow it - once again, if only it RE keeps up the required manufacturing & reliability standards and honestly, it would be because the other options in the market for similar bikes in the category are huge leap away.

But that being said, let's hope they'll be nice to us and offer an "affordable" (a vague, relative term I know) pricing for their first attempt at breaking out with a world class machine.
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 16:51   #297
Senior - BHPian

The twins if priced right, will click for sure. One of the major issues owners of high end bikes face is the availability of service centres and spare parts. If anyone follows art of motorcycles channel in youtube, the blogger almost had to wait for two days stranded in the lonely highway because of a damaged shifter in his Triumph Tiger and Triumph didn't provide RSA.

With RE being present everywhere throughout the country, I am pretty much sure RSA shouldn't be an issue.
I am in the market to buy a decent motorcycle, had zeroed in on the Himalayan. I mite just about wait for some more time and see how the Interceptor fairs. Rumors have been floating around of a high capacity Himalayan but I dont expect that to come out not before 2020.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 12th May 2018 at 16:54.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 14:43   #298
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Royal Enfield just Tweeted this image. A custom build?

Last edited by bsenroy : 15th May 2018 at 14:43. Reason: increasing size of the photo
bsenroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 14:50   #299
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes, looks like a smoking hot custom that is powered by the 650cc twin cylinder engine. Hope they also disclose the launch dates at this event. I am expecting a June launch at these low volume markets followed by Aug/Sep launch for our country.
Old 28th May 2018, 13:25   #300
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Interceptor 650 used to create dragster called LockStock

More Images and info can be found here
bsenroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed