Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2017, 17:16   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Good to see ABS as standard. I just hope they offer tubeless tyres as standard too. I am very tempted by the Interceptor (in no small measure because of the name!!) but wont touch it with a barge pole if it comes with tube type tyres.
There is only one production bike that I know off which come with both wire wheels and tubeless tyres. They have to come with alloys if they have to go tubeless, even the T120s come with tubes.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:42   #197
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
There is only one production bike that I know off which come with both wire wheels and tubeless tyres. They have to come with alloys if they have to go tubeless, even the T120s come with tubes.

Pramod
All the BMW, Ducati and triumph Touring bikes have tubeless tyres on spoke wheels The trick is to have spokes on the edge of the rims and not the center. Even the Harley Heritage Softail has spoke wheels with tubeless tyres.

Nothing stopping RE from following suit, or giving alloy wheels. There are options of alloys that look similar to wire wheels if RE feels that this is critical to the retro look.

tubeless tyres are a critical safety aspect, as critical as ABS

Something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-2.jpg  

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 29th November 2017 at 17:45.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:53   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the BMW, Ducati and triumph Touring bikes have tubeless tyres on spoke wheels
Not all, only the very high end expensive adv bikes have it. for eg, triumph tiger 800 range of XC and XCs comes with tube type spoke rims. Only Tiger explorer 1200 comes with tubeless type spoked tyres. RE can give but the issue is cost. A good pair of spoke type tubeless tyres can cost north of a lakh. so alloy is the option if one is looking at budget tubeless configuration, and alloy wont go well with interceptor's or GT's image.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 18:13   #199
Senior - BHPian

RE UK starts prebooking for the Interceptor twin. Details from their UK FB page. Speculated pricing 6000 Pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-138c5f22dd7644dd8b2c63e8f8cb093f.jpeg  

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-9cd7003a34fa491d8662c4b0e7b1e5d1.jpeg  

rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 00:12   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

The Royal Enfield site is also showing a chrome model.

The front and rear mudguard seem to be painted silver and the side panels are black.
The fuel tank is chrome.

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/twins/interceptor
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 18:21   #201
Senior - BHPian

Interesting newpicture of the Interceptor outside a Kawasaki showroom. Wonder if there was an Interceptor example sent to a dealership in UK. Any more pics?

And Chrome is certainly a really interesting colour option, but I still think there should be more colour options during the actual launch. And the red colour option with the dual colour option looks rather odd - considering all the other colour options get the retro touch with those badges on the tank.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:53   #202
BHPian

Motoroids is reporting an India launch in mid-2018.
Quote:
According to a report, the much awaited and most powerful Indian made motorcycles, the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 will be launched in India in mid-2018. The report also mentions that RE dealerships will start accepting bookings for the twins for a token amount of INR 5,000, starting April 2018. Expected to be priced between INR 3.25 lakh – INR 3.75 lakh, the new RE twins could go on to become the most affordable twin-cylinder middleweight motorcycles in the country.
Source: https://www.motoroids.com/news/royal...oking-details/
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:27   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted the Interceptor in Salem. Was cruising effortlessly and had no badges anywhere on the bike.

naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 19:04   #204
BHPian

Intercepted the Royal Enfield Interceptor while it was on a test run near Kanchipuram (near Chennai). Sounded good and the handling seemed effortless.

He realized I was clicking a video and slowed down considerably and was lost in the ensuing traffic. He eventually 'caught up' with us as we were stuck at a traffic signal and zoomed by

Cheers
Uday
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-re1.jpeg  

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-re2.jpeg  

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-re3.jpeg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 28th December 2017 at 19:05.
uday.ere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 20:07   #205
BHPian

Isn't the bike seen above is the continental GT 650 and not the Interceptor?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
GypsyKing_775 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 21:15   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyKing_775 View Post
Isn't the bike seen above is the continental GT 650?
You are right GypsyKing. It is indeed the Continental and not the Interceptor that I encountered. The edit time slot had lapsed and hence couldn't rectify my error.
Cheers
Uday
Old 28th December 2017, 21:34   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyKing_775 View Post
Isn't the bike seen above is the continental GT 650 and not the Interceptor?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, that is the upcoming Continental GT 650. However the engine is the same, so how it sounds would probably not change much. But there aren't too many pictures or videos of the Interceptor being tested till now - wonder why though

I am personally glad that the ugly black power-coated exhaust would not be part of the production bike, and a slightly better looking chrome unit replaces this one. And the triple clamp on these bikes look rather peculiar too.
Old 29th December 2017, 17:32   #208
BHPian

Is the chassis the same as that of the Himalayan? Whats going on in there?
The above pictures by uday.ere are showing same chassis!!!!
So technically they can put up a Himalayan 650 in 15 days, if they decide to do so?
So many thoughts.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 15:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Is the chassis the same as that of the Himalayan? Whats going on in there?
The above pictures by uday.ere are showing same chassis!!!!
So technically they can put up a Himalayan 650 in 15 days, if they decide to do so?
So many thoughts.
Erm sorry to burst your bubble, but the chassis in the image above are of the 650 twins. I just looked into pictures of the Himalayan, and its chassis seems to be quite different. We know that the 650cc Himalayan is in the works, but this one is not one of those mules for sure.
Old 30th December 2017, 22:30   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Erm sorry to burst your bubble, ,,,
I just asked a question. I have no bubble.

Now that you mention it, I insist.
The chassis is the same- tweaked here and there.
Interceptor, Continental, Meteor, Fighter plane, Himalayan, Whatever-
Dont let images fool you.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed