Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 15:29   #346
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Interesting to see the amount of testing they are doing to these twins! I hope it turns out to be a delight for the prospects when these twins hit the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Caught on test again
It would have been great if they had not added that stupid music in the background and had left the engine note as it that is something a lot of folks are looking forward to as well.

Ride Safe,
R-six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 17:55   #347
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Of the entire spec sheet released, a couple of things stand out for me:

- Suspension travel : 110 mm and 88 mm / Front and back. This is max travel, without any sag etc. I am expecting the ride to be "crashy" and not the most comfortable except for the smoothest of roads. Add luggage, pillion(? the seat looks inviting enough) and things are going to get worse
- Air cooled motor : None of the Enfields, including the newest most "modern" Himalayan run cool. The bigger powerplant might only exasperate this issue

But this engine in a Himalayan frame can actually be our very own desi KLR. I would guess 210-220 KG wet, 47 BHP, not too shabby. Right now, the biggest issue with the Himalayan IMO is the inability to cruise comfortably at ~100 KPH on the highway. Most of the issues WRT quality I think have been sorted (haven't heard of new ones pop up in a while). And this bike is DYNAMITE off road, even with a rather hefty kerb weight (Not too shabby on the road either). Lets hope RE makes this happen. With the upcoming 390 ADV, this segment will get piping hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I remember myself praising RE for the extensive tests they were doing for Himalayan (Including the tests in the Himalayas) somewhere in this very forum.
You and me both LOL
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 21:45   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Lets hope RE makes this happen.
Himalayan 650 is not coming in the short term.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/bikea...in-launch/amp/

Cheers
Old 12th September 2018, 23:45   #349
BHPian

Quote:
I remember myself praising RE for the extensive tests they were doing for Himalayan (Including the tests in the Himalayas) somewhere in this very forum.

Quote:

You and me both LOL

Hahaha! Let's hope this time it actually works. RE definitely can't afford another quality mishap. Folks paying upwards of 3lac will be furious if they have to visit the service center every few days or weeks.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:32   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiIyengar View Post
Interesting to note how much time RE is investing to test (and re-test) the twins. I hope this delay translates to greater reliability for the eventual owners!
Quote:
Quote:
You and me both LOL
Probably they are not able to return the bike with all parts intact after each test run. They will launch the bike the moment it comes back without any parts falling off.
The actual tests, as usual, will always be performed by the customers.
Holyghost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 23:14   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I have come up with a testing program that would speed up the "find the bugs" process for a newly designed motorcycle like the RE 650 twin.
It would give a massive amount of information about how the motorcycle preforms in a "real world" environment.

How about the factory produces 5000 test bikes and then hiring 5000 people with experience in riding larger size motorcycles?
The riders would be picked from all over India so all of the climates and road types would exist during the testing.
The riders would not be paid or receive any benefits full time employees might be eligible for.
RE would pay for basic insurance on the test motorcycles.

The 5000 test riders would then take their new motorcycle home and ride it at least 100 km per day, riding like they normally would. Longer trips would be encouraged to gain as much distance as possible during the testing.

One months worth of testing would provide at least 15,000,000 km of "real world testing" based on a 30 day month.
At the end of the month, all riders would be required to fill out a comments sheet listing all of the things that need to be improved. Of course, any mechanical problem that came up, no matter how small, would need to be reported to RE immediately not only to get the problem fixed but to add to RE's knowledge about anything that needs attention for a possible re-design.

I suspect that finding 5000 test riders would be easy, even if they received no pay for the task. After all, they are all basically being given a new motorcycle for a month.
In fact, I think there would be mobs of potential riders fighting for the opportunity to be chosen.

After a month, RE would have the option of continuing the program and gathering more information or ending it.

When the program ends, the test riders would have the option of buying the motorcycle they tested at a greatly reduced price or, return it to the factory which in turn could hand the test motorcycles over to their dealers (for a small fee) to be used by people wanting to test ride the new model bikes.

Before someone runs off and quotes this post as being something RE is planning to do, NO!!! RE is not doing any of this at the moment and I doubt that they ever will..
It's just a crazy idea I thought of but it could really help to insure that the first motorcycles sold on the market would be less likely to have problems.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 13th September 2018 at 23:31.
ArizonaJim is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 23:58   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I think I have come up with a testing program that would speed up the "find the bugs" process for a newly designed motorcycle like the RE 650 twin.
It would give a massive amount of information about how the motorcycle preforms in a "real world" environment.

It's just a crazy idea I thought of but it could really help to insure that the first motorcycles sold on the market would be less likely to have problems.

I have heard in big product companies, this is how Beta tests happen. A select few folks (employees mostly) are given new devices to test, share constant and quick iterative feedback, before the issues are ironed out and bug-free products are launched in the market.
Old 14th September 2018, 11:33   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I think I have come up with a testing program that would speed up the "find the bugs" process for a newly designed motorcycle like the RE 650 twin....
It's a great idea Jim but the potential problem here would be RE's ability to control the flow of information from these owners, specially negative. All issues reported by these 5000 owners would flow into the public domain, and the bike in question would quickly be tagged as the worst you could buy.

If you take away the fact that owners had to pay for the Himalayan, didn't RE follow a pretty much similar trajectory there? But now the improved version can't seem to shake off the baggage of past. Also, RE still has a long way to go in terms of fixing their internal QC processes.Their intent and ambitions to be a global player, should be matched with having world class manufacturing practices first. Once done, then a program similar to what you have suggested can be used to iron out the niggles. But under the current scenario, 'niggles' is too mild a word.

Last edited by avisidhu : 14th September 2018 at 11:37.
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 15:24   #354
BHPian

The 650 twins have been spotted and this time the bike dons a few accessories like a small windscreen that sits above the headlight. Bar-end mounted rear view mirrors have replaced the stock units.

Along with a pillion seat comes a grab rail for the passenger. Addressing the touring needs is a pair of saddlebag stays that are seen on the motorcycle. The units are aimed to protect the luggage from getting in contact with the rear tyre.

Source : https://indianautosblog.com/2018/09/...ssories-314523
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-royalenfieldcontinentalgt650accessoriesright16d6.jpg  

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-royalenfieldcontinentalgt650accessoriesright17a4.jpg  

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-royalenfieldcontinentalgt650accessoriesright899f.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 18th September 2018 at 15:39.
uday.ere is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 17:27   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
The 650 twins have been spotted and this time the bike dons a few accessories like a small windscreen that sits above the headlight.
The red one looks like the current Cafe racer, looking at the engine. The Interceptor though looks smashing in this black shade!!

Waiting to hit my MLC phase, as an excuse to get one!
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 20:29   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
The red one looks like the current Cafe racer, looking at the engine. The Interceptor though looks smashing in this black shade!!
That is the Continental GT 650, not the Interceptor.

I am guessing that it could be a mule that has been kitted up with accessories to demonstrate them to the riders who have been invited to test ride the twins all through next week in California.
aravind.anand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 03:23   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
That is the Continental GT 650, not the Interceptor.

I am guessing that it could be a mule that has been kitted up with accessories
I too believe it to be the existing Continental GT, looking at the single cylinder engine.

I Interceptor does look mouthwatering. Hope the twins perform the way it's expected free of niggles. Good luck RE.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 07:53   #358
Senior - BHPian

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-1image.jpeg

Wonder if it will remain a legend or return as one..

Last edited by AMG Power : 19th September 2018 at 08:02.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 09:28   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
The 650 twins have been spotted and this time the bike dons a few accessories like a small windscreen that sits above the headlight. Bar-end mounted rear view mirrors have replaced the stock units.

Along with a pillion seat comes a grab rail for the passenger. Addressing the touring needs is a pair of saddlebag stays that are seen on the motorcycle. The units are aimed to protect the luggage from getting in contact with the rear tyre.

Source : https://indianautosblog.com/2018/09/...ssories-314523
Wow! This is the first time I'm seeing both the outgoing and the brand new Continental GT in the same frame. Surely, new one does look like a treat. Out of all the accessories on the motorcycle, I'm interested in the crashguard 😂 Having an Enfield for 3 years, I have understood the importance of one.

Last Saturday around 4 in the evening, while I was riding my own Classic 350 near Marathahalli in Bengaluru, I was treated to the visuals of the new twin. Of course I couldn't know for sure whether it was a GT or interceptor. I didn't realize when he overtook me and it's hard to say from behind which one of the two it was. Looking at the posture of the rider, I thought it must be the interceptor. It looked pretty simple from behind and I guess I need some time to get used to the 'rumble' instead of 'beats'. It was temporary registered TN bike, numbers were written on the plate using a red marker. I wanted to see the tank once, tried my best to keep up with him but I couldn't. It was drizzling as well so I gave up after 10 seconds or so. Now, really looking forward for the launch and initial reviews.
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 09:30   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
I too believe it to be the existing Continental GT, looking at the single cylinder engine.
He was referring to the black bike, which is not an Interceptor but a Continental 650. The red one is a Continental 535.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks