Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:24   #256

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ I don't think he has mentioned anything that needs a test ride. Let's see:

- Timid road presence (pictures, YouTube)
- exhaust note (YouTube)
- riding posture
- Performance figures (not actual performance)

Am I missing something? And believe me, RE fanboys are much worse than RE critics. At least the latter speak with some experience and numbers. How does one have a meaningful discussion when all arguments are centred around the bike's soul?!
1. I would like to disagree that a bike's road presence can be determined by pictures, but again, it's your opinion and this is mine.
2. I have not seen the video of the Exhaust note on Youtube, but would be curious to compare the "real" exhaust vs a video that can be doctored, or even give a poor audio output.
3. Riding posture has the word "riding" in it, not sitting. So unless someone has really "ridden" the bike, I would take the opinion with a pinch of salt.
4. Performance figures - definitely can be commented on, but I don't really know what is the problem. The same RE bashers will go and praise the Triumph line that also produces 55 HP for a 900cc Engine.

I am not a fan of RE, their build quality or in general their methods of coming out with new color variants of the same bike for extra money, thats marketing Bull****.

But, please don't unilaterally bash them when an Indian company is trying to take the next step, although they are using tech from the Brits, still, they are probably doing something right if the bike is able to sell even in crowded markets like US, UK and Australia.

I have a few British colleagues who are super excited about the launch of the Continental GT 650. Not everyone has the money to buy the Thruxton!
(PS: as you would have guessed, my company doesn't pay much )
sausi007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:44   #257
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
And believe me, RE fanboys are much worse than RE critics. At least the latter speak with some experience and numbers. How does one have a meaningful discussion when all arguments are centred around the bike's soul?!
That's the whole point of the RE. it's got SOUL

See I started riding REs from my college days and yes I'm partial to it but I'm very well aware of it's flaws as well. In fact it's not something I see myself riding everyday now, and I don't. My tastes have shifted now and I ride a FZ25 as a daily rider and use it for touring as well; but someone else might want the laid back, lazy thump and the vibey feel on their steed. To each his own poison.

Motorcycles aren't something we always buy with our head but our heart and soul. End of they day it all matters how you feel on the bike.

Let us wait and see what the Interceptor and GT650 has to offer. Everything now is just speculation. I'm as doubtful as you of the RE, but let's give it a shot and be optimistic. I'm sure the Himalayan fiasco has taught them a good lesson.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:00   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ I don't think he has mentioned anything that needs a test ride. Let's see:

- Timid road presence (pictures, YouTube)
- exhaust note (YouTube)
- riding posture
- Performance figures (not actual performance)

Am I missing something? And believe me, RE fanboys are much worse than RE critics. At least the latter speak with some experience and numbers. How does one have a meaningful discussion when all arguments are centred around the bike's soul?!
Oh well, so the Interceptor critics are taking based on facts and actual data here?

Using photos to judge road presence, hearing a video to judge the exhaust note, looking at a picture again to comment on the riding posture and performance figures being put down without riding, and even before the actual performance numbers are released

Make no mistake, I am not a RE fan - probably explains why there is no RE in my garage. But I am looking forward to see if the new twin engine would offer highway performance and have better quality too. But I will not comment till I actually see, sit on, ride and experience the motorcycle by myself.

And, certain decisions taken by the heart, can rarely be proven by using facts and data - to each, his own!
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:06   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausi007 View Post
4. Performance figures - definitely can be commented on, but I don't really know what is the problem. The same RE bashers will go and praise the Triumph line that also produces 55 HP for a 900cc Engine.
HP is not the only measure of performance. What about the Torque figure? It's leagues ahead of the RE and much more refined too. Triumph deserves all the praise it gets. Their fit and finish is top notch. Heck I wouldn't even compare HD with Triumph in terms of fit and finish. They've upped the ante and really set a high benchmark.

Quote:
But, please don't unilaterally bash them when an Indian company is trying to take the next step, although they are using tech from the Brits, still, they are probably doing something right if the bike is able to sell even in crowded markets like US, UK and Australia.
I agree. Like I mentioned before, we should wait and watch to see once the new bikes are out. Kudos to RE for taking a bold step towards twin cylinders in the market. It's difficult to make an engine from the ground up indigeniously, without any suport from established makers.

Quote:
I have a few British colleagues who are super excited about the launch of the Continental GT 650. Not everyone has the money to buy the Thruxton!
True. Nor can one ride it everyday. Though Triumphs are friendly and easy to use, the power and torque along with the committed seating posture can get overwhelming for daily use.

Quote:
(PS: as you would have guessed, my company doesn't pay much )
Same pinch
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:36   #260

^^
Totally agree that HP is not the only measure of performance, but I was, erringly trying to give an example. My Bad! Triumph and RE cannot and should not be used in the same sentence.
Fit, finish, quality, there is not much you can find fault in the Triumph range, just that they are still prohibitively expensive!
Old 9th April 2018, 09:43   #261
BHPian

April was supposed to be the month when the first markets were to receive the new twins.
If that was the plan then the media drives and promotions should have started by now.
Whats brewing RE?
Old 9th April 2018, 12:34   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
April was supposed to be the month when the first markets were to receive the new twins.
If that was the plan then the media drives and promotions should have started by now.
Whats brewing RE?
Yes, I tried checking Zauba website to see if they had exported any bikes to Europe over the last month - I somehow am unable to generate any new data, it keeps showing me info only till Nov 2016. If somebody can check that, we will have a clearer picture.
Old 9th April 2018, 17:37   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Yes, I tried checking Zauba website to see if they had exported any bikes to Europe over the last month - I somehow am unable to generate any new data, it keeps showing me info only till Nov 2016. If somebody can check that, we will have a clearer picture.

As per Central Government orders, no import/export data is shown to the public from Dec 2016 onwards.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 18:01   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I would like to disagree that a bike's road presence can be determined by pictures, but again, it's your opinion and this is mine.
Pictures in the real world, not dolled up machines in perfect lighting with shiny black tyres. Helps you get some perspective of scale when you see it against a popular hatch, auto, bus etc

Quote:
2. I have not seen the video of the Exhaust note on Youtube, but would be curious to compare the "real" exhaust vs a video that can be doctored, or even give a poor audio output.

Someone's gone to great lengths to post a youtube video "doctoring" the sound emanating from the RE exhaust? Proof? See my point about RE fanboys?

Quote:
3. Riding posture has the word "riding" in it, not sitting. So unless someone has really "ridden" the bike, I would take the opinion with a pinch of salt.
Not sure what you think of "Cycle Ergo" then. The sole purpose of their existence is for you to get an idea of riding posture without ever swinging a leg on the bike. Of course you get a fair idea of what the riding posture is going to be like when you see a rider atop a motorcycle. Whats so outlandish about it?

Quote:
Besides Fit, Finish and general quality; Triumph is also much better at the "tech" aspect. They can (if they so wanted) pull out 120+ BHP from a 675 cc engine. They Chose not to pursue HP in case of the Bonnie

RE not being able to extract more from this engine is a constraint; not a choice

Quote:
But, please don't unilaterally bash them ......
Can you please point to the parts in my post where I am bashing Royal Enfield's (Motorcycle and / or company)?

Quote:
my company doesn't pay much )
That's one thing you and I have in common

Quote:
Oh well, so the Interceptor critics are taking based on facts and actual data here?
Absolutely!

Quote:
Using photos to judge road presence,
Fact, especially when these are photos from the real world. Not from shows where she's at her shiniest best, with just the right lighting

Quote:
hearing a video to judge the exhaust note,
Correct, which is again real. Hence, fact!

Quote:
looking at a picture again to comment on the riding posture
Please see my comment above on the same topic. Oh and .... Fact!

Quote:
and performance figures being put down without riding, and even before the actual performance numbers are released
Performance Figures .... aka - Numbers

Quote:
Make no mistake, I am not a RE fan
Ok

Quote:
- probably explains why there is no RE in my garage.
Not really! I don't need to own something to be a fan. If that were true, Ferrari (for example) would not enjoy the cult status it does today

Quote:
But I am looking forward to see if the new twin engine would offer highway performance and have better quality too.
Me too

Quote:
But I will not comment till I actually see, sit on, ride and experience the motorcycle by myself.
Its fine if you don't want to, but its fine if others do, correct? The same way people have been drooling over the pics (myself included) without actually seeing, sitting on, riding or experiencing the motorcycle?

Quote:
And, certain decisions taken by the heart, can rarely be proven by using facts and data - to each, his own!
Of course
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 21:36   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RE not being able to extract more from this engine is a constraint; not a choice
Nope, that could never have been the intent when you are looking to create an easy to ride motorcycle that would be cruising for most part of its life. Much like the Bonneville. It would not make much sense to have a 60+ PS and 40 Nm engine for this target audience.

Quote:
Fact, especially when these are photos from the real world. Not from shows where she's at her shiniest best, with just the right lighting
A spy picture of a prototype is rarely trying to impress. No KTM test mule looked good either, simply because that is not the intent.

Quote:
Not really! I don't need to own something to be a fan. If that were true, Ferrari (for example) would not enjoy the cult status it does today
Well, 'affordability' is the biggest difference here. A multi crore Ferarri vs a 2.xx RE flagship. I dismissed the entire current RE line-up and picked up a CBR250R because it fits my bill.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 9th April 2018 at 21:38.
Old 11th April 2018, 15:26   #266
BHPian

Came across this video posted over a week ago, not sure if it was already shared in any other threads.

Interesting bits of information being shared there.

1. Bikes expected in May for test ride.
2. 9 more new models to share the Interceptor's engine and tank.

I didn't get the second point, if it's completely different bikes or just different color schemes, add-ons etc like the 500x.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 16:07   #267
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to the question, why is RE so reluctant to share the actual exhaust note of the 650 twin, seems fishy.
Old 11th April 2018, 16:18   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
2. 9 more new models to share the Interceptor's engine and tank.

I didn't get the second point, if it's completely different bikes or just different color schemes, add-ons etc like the 500x.
I cannot think of 9 new segments of bikes at all, so I would assume they might be more like Desert Storm, Squadron blue, Chrome, etc., which are actually being listed as seperate models in the RE website.

However, Himalayan with the 650cc twin has been confirmed already, so a proper cruiser might also be on the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Coming back to the question, why is RE so reluctant to share the actual exhaust note of the 650 twin, seems fishy.
There have been videos with the exhaust note in it, in fact the teaser video of these motorcycles was with the exhaust note. What could be fishy about this?
Old 11th April 2018, 16:40   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post

Nothing fishy there. And there is nothing that can said as wrong in a manufacturer taking their time before they release any info about their new product. The days of thump are anyhow over with the incoming twin engines. Like they had mentioned in one of their promo videos, a growl is perhaps in the offing.
Old 11th April 2018, 16:52   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There have been videos with the exhaust note in it, in fact the teaser video of these motorcycles was with the exhaust note. What could be fishy about this?
Fishy in the sense I am a bit curious why they didn't start the bike during the unveiling. Maybe they want to keep it under wraps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Nothing fishy there. And there is nothing that can said as wrong in a manufacturer taking their time before they release any info about their new product. The days of thump are anyhow over with the incoming twin engines. Like they had mentioned in one of their promo videos, a growl is perhaps in the offing.
I agree and I am sure with those S & S pipes they would sound good and RE would have worked hard on getting the right exhaust note.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks