Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 17:27   #331
BHPian

Re: Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR/46_Chet View Post
Happy to report that the ABS issue has been fixed.
Thanks a lot for the update. A friend and I picked the Xpulse 200 FI on March 5 in BS4 stock clearance considering it should be good for daily commutes on horrible Gurgaon roads and occasional trail riding. For the 1,100 kms I used mine for in the first week, I had at least half a dozen heart in mouth moments because of the ABS on bad section. The issue is present on both the motorcycles we bought.
The workshop staff was dismissive of the problem and didn't give any resolution during first service. Read in other places that removing the fuse to disable it altogether would also kill the speedometer. Glad that Hero is addressing this. Will reach out to them.
Apart from that, I am happy with the motorcycle so far. Was using Duke 390 as primary vehicle so compared to that the Xpulse feels very comfortable for short distances, the navigation thing is pretty good, service cost is very low, the workshop experience was better than expected and you can just jump over anything without slowing down.
motonomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 17:08   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonomad View Post
A friend and I picked the Xpulse 200 FI on March 5 in BS4 stock clearance
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Was there any discount offered?
VR/46_Chet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 17:22   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Was there any discount offered?
Thanks. Yes got 14K each on both the motorcycles. Picked from a dealer in Faridabad, who was seemingly struggling to move these last two units of the FI model. The dealers in South Delhi and Gurgaon were offering only 7-8K on buying 2 units (+were also trying to add bogus charges for handling and stuff) and were quickly running out of FI units.
motonomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 20:00   #334
BHPian

So here's another way to fix the ABS, without replacing the unit, by disabling it altogether. However, simply disabling it, you lose the speedometer and odometer. Here's how Akash Dingare has fixed it.

Also, I don't get why some Impulse loyalists/purists hate the XPulse so much.
Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-capture_20200329194855.png

The XPulse is way more mature than the Impulse. The Impulse is special, but that doesn't make the XPulse any less capable. Also I don't get why he keeps saying that the Impulse has a better frame. Even with my limited experience, I am so surprised by how well the XPulse handles in all kinds of situations. It has a 21inch front wheel, yet feels more stable and planted at corners than the Impulse(thanks to the suspension as well). I've ridden both, off road. The engine isn't as smooth as the Impulse (thanks to the counter balancer), but it isn't that bad anyways. It gets the job done off road, and the mid-range is plenty exciting. If we really want to expand this budget dual sport category in India, we have to be more welcoming. The XPulse is a neat platform, and this is coming from someone who has always, always wanted an Impulse.

Also the fact that many rallyists and experienced off roaders are "upgrading" to the XPulse platform for their next motorcycle should be the biggest of all confirmations.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 29th March 2020 at 20:23.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 21:19   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Of all the discussions I have come across till date, I have found that Impulse's light weight is the only genuine plus point over Xpulse (loyalists can say whatever they want). It is around 25 kgs lighter if I am not wrong. It is not that Xpulse feels heavy but that difference in weight is quite a bit especially on dirt tracks. Rest for all other factors, Xpulse is an improvement over Impulse.
ast.ggn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 18:03   #336
BHPian

Quote:
It's silly really. Whatever the Impulse does, the XPulse does better and that's most of the things if not all. As you've rightly mentioned, a lot of off-roaders are upgrading their Impulse(s) which is more than enough confirmation. I mean I know people expected more power, karizma engine blah blah but almost everyone who has ridden an Impulse-ZMA will not be able to describe it fully without using the word 'vibrations'. I can say for sure that they are WAY MORE than the XPulse. This doesn't change with who performs the swap either, as incapable mechanics do not do such stuff and (most) capable ones should do it properly. I guess this has been discussed quite a lot already.

Quote:
The XPulse is a neat platform, and this is coming from someone who has always, always wanted an Impulse.
Same. Myself, BHPian cartik5477 and Sunny_ST3 have searched quite a lot for a used Impulse in MH back in the day and yet none of us could get our hands on a clean example. None of us were in an immediate need for a motorcycle but the idea was to have at least one Impulse to use. I still remember those days like it was yesterday and the Impulse remains close to the heart for what it is. After owning a P220 for 10+ years, I was clearly looking to upgrade (and maybe I will, in future) but when the XPulse came into picture, I could not resist. When I test rode it, the decision had been done within the first 200m. Today, we can be sure the XPulse will not get quickly discontinued like the Impulse, but that time it was an opportunity I couldn't afford to lose out on... and that's the first reason I got it.
VR/46_Chet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 10:21   #337
BHPian

Any information about a good deal about BS IV Xpulse 200 in Pune?
Old 31st March 2020, 11:41   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Any information about a good deal about BS IV Xpulse 200 in Pune?
Maybe it's too late now, Hero had produced a limited number of units before halting production and it was already a bit of a task for current owners to procure one for themselves, personal choice of paint was even more difficult.

Most dealers in the country have exhausted their stock, not getting any further allocations and many have sold off the rest ride vehicle as well. A couple of friends in Pune had gone for a test ride in the last week of February and had to return without getting one, they were too told that the test ride unit has been sold off.
Old 31st March 2020, 12:43   #339
BHPian

@ petrolhead_neel, ast.ggn, VR/46_Chet:

It's more around 20 kilos difference but I believe that difference makes up for the -5 bhp on the impulse to a good extent. I mean you can usually keep up with an xpulse offroad because the impulse is lighter to manoeuvre. Maybe you can even beat it, depending on the type of terrain you're riding.

Aside from the +20 kilos though, I fully agree xpulse seems to be a much better overall package. Better suspension, bigger wheels, better console, better spread of power, bit more relaxed feel to riding, bit more fuel capacity, excellent factory support with the warranty and the rally kit, brilliant value for money (by today's standards, I mean, I bought the impulse new for around 80,000 8 years ago), xpulse has the impulse beat almost everywhere else. The only other minor downsides I see are the mandatory ABS and the relatively worse seat. Though, it's a personal preference that I would rather not have any kind of electronic interference at all. And the impulse's tank design and seat, IMO, allows you to more room to play around on, especially if you fill up the scooped out part just right.

As for the frame, I was initially apprehensive of the engine-as-a-stressed-member type frame, especially with the cut at the front. But going by the confidence of Hero in supporting the xpulse with the rally kit, and the kinds of stuff we've already seen people do on the xpulse, I suppose the impulse's double cradle's only clear advantage is an easier time with engine swaps.

Personally, I do not want to upgrade to an xpulse, because from my POV, I value the lighter weight, and don't see a point in upgrading when the general capabilities for an experienced user are not appreciably far away from each other. But objectively, xpulse is anyday the better bike.

People who are saying the impulse is better could be doing that just to keep driving the prices on the used market, (though I haven't checked in a year). They'd probably want to sell it for a good price, and get an xpulse themselves.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 31st March 2020 at 12:53.
drt_rdr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 01:14   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I don't get why some Impulse loyalists/purists hate the XPulse so much
I understand the love for impulse, but not the hate for the Xpulse.

These are probably people who have spent a few minutes with a stock Xpulse and given their verdict, or are maybe parroting what their "friends" may be saying about the bike

Truth be told, when I just sat on a bone stock xpulse for the first time and rode it around a dirt track for maybe one lap, I wasn't impressed at all. But once I actually rode her (bone stock) on a trail for an extended period of time, I was surprised at how good a package this was

Quote:
Attachment 1985656
Quote:
I don't get why he keeps saying that the Impulse has a better frame.
Many here will hate this (maybe), but the ONLY good thing about the Impulse... is its frame. Its from an XR 200 IIRC and is just so god damn robust. I have seen crashes that would make grown men cry, but the frame was INTACT! The suspension, ergos, engine etc. on the Impulse is just plain CRAP in stock form

Quote:
Even with my limited experience, I am so surprised by how well the XPulse handles in all kinds of situations. It has a 21inch front wheel, yet feels more stable and planted at corners than the Impulse(thanks to the suspension as well).
I was shocked at how stable this thing was in corners, even on stock street biased tyres

Quote:
I've ridden both, off road. The engine isn't as smooth as the Impulse (thanks to the counter balancer), but it isn't that bad anyways. It gets the job done off road, and the mid-range is plenty exciting. If we really want to expand this budget dual sport category in India, we have to be more welcoming. The XPulse is a neat platform, and this is coming from someone who has always, always wanted an Impulse.
Very well said. Its an excellent platform, but you will need to make your own tweaks. When I get mine... for now its gonna be:

- Tyres will be changed to Ralco / vee rubber knobbies on day 1
- Taller, flatter seat
- Remove the entire god awful butt ugly tail piece with a very small sexy tail tidy (Havent bought the bike but have already bought this LOL)
- De-sticker the thing... completely!
- Will explore ergonomic mods to move the footpegs back and maybe a bit lower. Will free up the cockpit. Maybe swapping the left and right mounts will do the trick, else will need custom brackets made. Not a biggie
- Handlebar... maybe not immeditely
- Headlight for a small supermoto type unit... low possibility but maybe
- A sharper front fender as opposed to the current flaccid one... maybe

Quote:
Also the fact that many rallyists and experienced off roaders are "upgrading" to the XPulse platform for their next motorcycle should be the biggest of all confirmations.

Neel
They are. And its a motorcycle that comes with 5 years(!!!) of support from the factory in the form of warranty and hassle free availability of spares, as opposed to spending hours tinkering and hunting for parts in non descript alleyways

I will say this though, I asked a couple of rally guys as to what their pick would be between:

- Xpulse, engine mods, exhaust etc + Rally kit OR
- Impulse, Karizma engine + Rally kit

In terms of outright performance, most agreed that the latter will have the edge. Slightly more power, lower weight and that beautiful abuse friendly chassis

But... The money you spend on this mod, plus the ongoing upkeep; not to mention that this is still a mod job at the end of the day as opposed to factory product and will be as good as the mech who does it

So the smart money today is to bid the Impulse farewell and move on to the new hardware. We shouldn't be surprised though when people cling on to the past with a deathgrip. People still buy an Enfield 350, don't they

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 4th April 2020 at 01:23.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 18:27   #341
BHPian

The BS6 XPulse is here:
Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-homeimg.jpg
  • Oil cooler, an extra catalytic converter and a rerouted exhaust.
  • The carb is discontinued. Carb owners, you have a very exclusive bike in your hands now!
  • All BS4 colours are retained. Didn't spot any new colours being added.
  • Power and torque are slightly down compared to BS4 (18.1bhp vs 17.8bhp and 17.1Nm vvs 16.45Nm).
  • Max torque and max power are made at the same RPMs. Everything else like compression ratio seems to be the same.
  • Weight has gone up by 3kgs when compared to the BS4 Fi.

Couldn't find pricing info. I'm wondering what they did to the engine though. The power and torque loss are very much acceptable, probably why they needed an oil cooler.

I'm rejoicing that we could get our hands on the BS4 bike. Just getting the BS6 bike to BS4 levels of performance is so much work, not to forget the ugly bash plate and the lower hanging exhaust. Kudos to Hero though, it's still one great motorcycle and the conversion to the new norms was quite elegant.

As BHPian Samba (Da) just informed me, the 200T has been discontinued as well. Seems a bit strange, because I have seen a number of 200Ts in the streets here and at the Hero ASC, but not one other XPulse 200 in my town.

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 20:49   #342
BHPian

Power is down, but weight is up and price is up. Feels like the bike has lost it's shine in the transition.

I was anticipating an increase in power and torque given the addition of the oil cooler. Since thats not the case, I wonder why the cooling system was necessary. Hopefully, they've spread the power better over the rev range at the cost of lower max power.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 16:41   #343
BHPian

Quote:
the 200T has been discontinued as well. Seems a bit strange
I think I read somewhere a couple of days back that the 200T will be back in its BS6 avatar soon. The same article also mentioned the price hike to be ~5000/- for the 200 but I'm unable to find the link now.
Old 8th April 2020, 21:18   #344
BHPian

Quote:
I think I read somewhere a couple of days back that the 200T will be back in its BS6 avatar soon. The same article also mentioned the price hike to be ~5000/- for the 200 but I'm unable to find the link now.
Website updated. BS6 200 T coming.

https://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/xpulse200t/

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-homeimg.jpg
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 16:48   #345
BHPian

Saw a video of BS6 XPulse launch at a Kochi showroom on IG yesterday and the price mentioned was INR 1,13,772/- ex-showroom. Apparently, they delivered one as well.

Secondly, two friendly reminders for fellow XPulse owners -

1) Get the ABS unit changed if you haven't yet. It's been 3 months since I changed it and by now I had almost forgotten that there was this brake issue that existed, until today when I visited the service center and immediately got asked whether the new unit has helped or not. It has.

2) Seat cover. I had mentioned it earlier to someone and I'll do so again as the rains have started. The mesh pattern on the seat (or whatever it's called, I'm not sure) holds quite a lot of water and it can get awkward for daily usage in the rains. Checked with two dealers and they did not have it so getting it made.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks