Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 11:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

And it's here as the XPulse 200 -

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20180207_112219.jpg

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 10:22   #17
BHPian

Looks good to me!

They say Hero might launch it in the second half of 2018 at 1-1.2 lakh. The engine is from Xtreme, and this will come with switchable ABS, smart phone connectivity etc.

I think this will be good for thrashing around.
cataclysm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 12:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Looks good to me!

They say Hero might launch it in the second half of 2018 at 1-1.2 lakh. The engine is from Xtreme, and this will come with switchable ABS, smart phone connectivity etc.

I think this will be good for thrashing around.
Agreed. The displacement question seems answered finally, and I like the tank treatment better than earlier. Overall a decent look - not traditional dual-sport and maybe that's a good thing (could argue they all look too similar to one another). If it's got ABS and a 21" etc then a bit over a lakh is seeming reasonable.

But "Might" launch is the key word there... I hope they finally do this, but could wonder if it will still be too little too late, commercially speaking, in light of all the 300+cc stuff coming online lately / recent desire for 'motorway capabilities' etc. The Karizma conversions were recognized and performed (easily) very early on by enthusiasts; Why Hero has dragged their feet this long is anyone's guess.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 8th February 2018 at 12:26.
Old 8th February 2018, 14:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

More pictures courtesy powerdrift

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img20180208wa0004.jpg

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img20180208wa0005.jpg

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img20180208wa0003.jpg

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img20180208wa0006.jpg

Take my money.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 14:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Adventure bikes aren't for the "Home-Office-Home" crowd.. they would rather prefer 150 cc bikes with "Puffed Out / Artificial Muscled" bikes with Fat Rear Tyres.

For enthusiasts, the BMW G310GS is so much more appealing with the "BMW/GS Pedigree" and appealing looks to go with it.

Sorry Hero, the XPulse according to me is a DOA product. Nor appeals to the Commuters, neither the enthusiasts. A classic case of CONFUSED POSITIONING.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 15:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Sorry Hero, the XPulse according to me is a DOA product. Nor appeals to the Commuters, neither the enthusiasts. A classic case of CONFUSED POSITIONING.
Appeals to me bro. I don't know anything about bike 'categories' or 'positioning'. I'm not an enthusiast I guess, not the way most of the passionate bikers on TBhp are. I certainly can't afford a superbike or the BMW.

I've gone all over India on my Bullet and as much as I love my bike, I'll never buy an RE ever again. I'd like a bike with decent ground clearance and a decent support network to replace my RE for touring. I've seen Hero service stations literally everywhere in the country unlike any other bike brand. I really don't care what my bike looks like, in fact, the more low-profile the better as I never book ahead and rarely stay at places with dedicated parking space for vehicles. I have nice memories of chaining the Bullet to an electric pole in Arunachal and being nervous at some shady lodge somewhere in Orissa while a group of drunk men gathered around my bike because it was a 'Bullit'. So a jazzy Beemer (apart from the cost of course) is out for me. I loved the Impulse, but for the 150cc-engine. Would have loved a 300, but I guess this is it.

But yeah, you do have a point, the Impulse flopped for sales, this will too I guess.

Last edited by am1m : 9th February 2018 at 15:24.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 15:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW 310GS is a niche product. It will be more expensive to own and service.

XPulse 200 will appeal to those looking for a cheap thrills, specially as a second bike. Like Red Liner above. I can relate to his sentiments - if I had the budget to spare. The Versys 650 that I own needs to be treated with care for the fear of it breaking the bank balance. Whereas with this Hero, it looks capable enough to do some exploration and you can be rest assured about not breaking the bank if the bike does.

Sales might be less though. Impulse and Himalayan never appealled in India - but the XPulse might just build a cult following over time.

Quote:
A classic case of CONFUSED POSITIONING.
Surprised you feel so.

The positioning is as straight forward as it gets. Its a entry level adventure tourer. No straddling segments or anything.

PS - Still not confused about the jugaad on the frame. Will just wait for someone like Red Liner to buy and abuse the bike and come back with their observations.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th February 2018 at 15:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 16:19   #23
BHPian

Looks unimpressive but definitely purpose built. I am not sold on it looking at the pictures, but I wouldn't write it off entirely before testing it out.

If this motorcycle is as capable as the old Impulse, which seems like it will, then there is nothing holding a HUGE customer base from rushing to Hero Dealerships.

Also, Hero's foray into the segment should tempt Honda and TVS to up their ADV game as well. I've heard theres a ADV from Bajaj coming up very soon based on the Dominar with inputs from KTM.
Old 9th February 2018, 17:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
BMW 310GS is a niche product. It will be more expensive to own and service.

XPulse 200 will appeal to those looking for a cheap thrills, specially as a second bike. Like Red Liner above.

I can relate to his sentiments - if I had the budget to spare. The Versys 650 that I own needs to be treated with care for the fear of it breaking the bank balance. Whereas with this Hero, it looks capable enough to do some exploration and you can be rest assured about not breaking the bank if the bike does.

Sales might be less though. Impulse and Himalayan never appealled in India - but the XPulse might just build a cult following over time.
Business is built on bottom lines / profits. And for a business to earn profits:
1. When the margins per product is less (mass products aka commuter products), the volumes has to be high.

2. And when the volumes are less (niche products aka enthusiast products), the margin per product need to be high.
Q1: So in which category do you think would "those looking for a cheap thrills, specially as a second bike" fall? Mass or Niche??

Q2: And how many of such customers could Hero expect to find consistently month on month, year on year?

Mind you, if the numbers aren't high, then by all means its a Niche Segment.

Quote:
The positioning is as straight forward as it gets. Its a entry level adventure tourer. No straddling segments or anything.
Adventure Tourer (even if its Entry Level) in India is a Niche Segment, can't expect it to generate kind of volumes that Hero is used to. Crux of the matter is that if one wants to sell an Adventure Tourer, as a Business Entrepreneur, its a better option is to take the niche position.

For Reference: What happened to the "Entry Level Cafe Racer" of Hero, the "Splendor Classic" ? - Another Classic case of confused (maybe WRONG) Positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Appeals to me bro. I don't know anything about bike 'categories' or 'positioning'.

I'm not an enthusiast I guess, not the way most of the passionate bikers on TBhp are. I certainly can't afford a superbike or the BMW.

But yeah, you do have a point, the Impulse flopped for sales, this will too I guess.

I might have misused the "Enthusiast" word here. The apt word should have been "Niche".

I had the Impulse too and was bought primarily as a second/cheap to own and thrash "Fun Vehicle". But it frustrated me with the lack of even the most basic spares. Ultimately had to sell it off.

Made me realize that Hero was good at making and servicing bikes which sold in million numbers every month... and also the fact the consumers looking for a cheap bike for thrills or for that matter Adventure Tourers/On Off Road bikes are actually a NICHE segment in India.

Last edited by payeng : 9th February 2018 at 17:40.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 17:29   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mass or Niche??
Niche. Isn't that way too obvious.

A bike as focussed as this looks mass market?

Quote:
Another Classic case of confused (maybe WRONG Positioning).
Looks to me like you are confusing niche positioning with confused positioning.

Confused positioning happens when a bike falls in none of the defined categories and ends up neither here nor there. An example would be Bajaj with Dominar going after Royal Enfield.

Niche positioning is when a clear target audience exists- just that the numbers would be less. To me, XPulse defenitely falls in the latter.

I wouldn't worry too much about bottom line. Hero has enough Splendors for that and this looks more of an attempt at brand building.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 17:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks to me like you are confusing niche positioning with confused positioning.
Maybe not "CONFUSED" but certainly "WRONG" Positioning here.

Obviously Cheap and Low margin (priced) products doesn't go well with Low volumes.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about bottom line. Hero has enough Splendors for that and this looks more of an attempt at brand building.
That's what you think. But how long do you think the Munjals would tolerate a product that bleeds the profits earned by its Splendors?

The XPulse doesn't appear like a Halo product to build a brand.. especially with the way it looks. Cheap to thrash around and have fun maybe, but certainly nothing aspirational.

Last edited by payeng : 9th February 2018 at 17:54.
Old 9th February 2018, 20:14   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

The xpulse is the only halo product available with hero at the moment. And that is from where they will begin to hopefully rebuild their ambitions higher up the class.

This bike is an extension of their recent dakar ambitions which also feel like a brand building effort, considering hero has no business in the performance segment at all. However between rallying and going to the track, they made an overall wiser decision.

I just wish they launched the 450 dakar bike though lol!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 00:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

This is totally likely to to be my "step down" from the CBR 250R - I need something that's cheap, rugged and maintainable in Coorg! Awaiting reviews and road tests.
Old 11th February 2018, 20:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe not "CONFUSED" but certainly "WRONG" Positioning here... Obviously Cheap and Low margin (priced) products doesn't go well with Low volumes.

The XPulse doesn't appear like a Halo product to build a brand.. especially with the way it looks. Cheap to thrash around and have fun maybe, but certainly nothing aspirational.
Quote:
For enthusiasts, the BMW G310GS is so much more appealing with the "BMW/GS Pedigree" and appealing looks to go with it.

I know this is asking a lot, but market realities in view, I'd have liked to see something more in this direction from Hero at this point:

https://newatlas.com/honda-bulldog-c...orcycle/36643/

In truth the XPulse with 200cc, if well-tuned, might be enough for me personally. But I always seem to find myself in a minority view / market segment. Which means that if I like something, it's probably going to flop!!! (Oh, dear)...

The photos do look good, though considering my experience with the Impulse, I have reason to doubt whether the handguards will ever show up (or the skidplate). I REALLY like the minimalist headlamp vs. the Impulse's faired-in one, and the lack of plastic tank extensions, which I generally loathe. And the tank, while less traditional "dual sport" could handle a tank-bag more easily, being flatter. Very purposeful looking. Hope they do it.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 11th February 2018 at 21:04.
Old 11th February 2018, 21:46   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I know this is asking a lot, but market realities in view, I'd have liked to see something more in this direction from Hero at this point:
Too big a step up for Hero. And people will certainly not accept it.

Here we are wondering whether the chasis cutout seen in the frame is engineered or typical Indian 'jugaad'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks