Team-BHP - Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/192736-puncture-borrow-air-another-vehicle-my-unique-pipe-design-air-valves-both-ends.html)

I woke up rather early last Monday and decided to go for a super quick ride on my P220 before i head off to work. From my residence, the quickest escape route is the Lavasa road. So ride for about 30 minutes, have breakfast wherever convenient and ride back was the plan. I knew a small hillock which is on a detour; where i could click a few good pics. I went there, rode up the hillock, clicked some pics and spent a few moments.

Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-dsc_000002.jpg

I was hungry and also had work later. So without spending much time I started on my way down the hillock; and realized I had a flat rear tyre! I never had a flat despite several punctures in my bike before! What worried me was if anyone even passed over the road below. But this is an industrial area, and some vehicle will certainly pass by, I told myself. This thought relieved my worries.

Why the relief?
Because a 6 feet long pipe discreetly sat coiled below my pillion seat. This pipe had 'Air filler valves' at both its ends. And this pipe was supposed to pull me out of my situation without dropping a sweat.

Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-dsc_0149.jpg

I slowly made my way to the road, put my Pulsar on the main stand and waited. I located the nail responsible for the puncture but didn't try pulling it out as the same nail was supposed to help me ride to the puncture repair shop. After a very long 10 min wait, I saw a truck chugging towards me. I flagged down the truck and made the most weird request he had ever thought of. It went something like, "My bike's punctured. Can I please borrow little air from your spare wheel? It will help me get to the next puncture repair shop". The driver clearly looked confused and amused and kept staring at me. After a pause, asked me how. I tried to explain him that i have the apparatus and all he needed to do was park next to my bike. He agreed!

Quickly I got the pipe, gave one end to the driver and I took the other. He didn't need any further explanation when he saw the pipe. He pressed the pipe on the valve tube of his spare wheel while I pressed the other end on the valve tube of my flat tyre. About 10 seconds of a hiss, and VOILA!!! I was good to go!

Thanked the driver, wound up my savior pipe, and rushed ahead. Rode for about 5 mins and found the puncture shop. Got it repaired, had breakfast, and rode back home.

It would easily had been 2 hrs of toil if I didn't have the pipe with me. Co-incidently, I assembled the pipe just a week back! I had this idea since a long time. Last week me, 599gto (from this forum) and Nikhil (another friend) were at a hardware shop for some other work. The shop had all the necessary ingredients. So we got them, and 599gto assembled it right there. Later we had a mock trial and it worked beautifully!

This is a necessary equipment for every biker who does long distance riding. If you have a puncture repair kit also, you will never get stranded because of a silly puncture.

Few riders carry a portable pump on their long rides. But it is inconvenient to carry it everywhere. This pipe sits somewhere inside your bike unnoticed. All the time! If there's no other vehicle around, you can even pull air from the other wheel of your bike. This will leave both the wheels under-inflated, but the bike will be rideable. Pulling air from a tyre of a large commercial vehicle won't affect the vehicle much since the volume of air in its tyre is high. Also, the pressure is much more.

A WORD OF CAUTION!
The Pressure in the tyres of trucks ranges from 90psi to 125psi. The pressure in the tyre of a bike is about 35psi. Very little air will be required to inflate your tyre. Be careful and do not end up bursting the tyre.

Why not just carry a portable air compressor? They are available cheaply and run directly off of the 12v battery.

You can also try those compressed CO2 cylinders. These are very small cylinders, small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. The packaging says that three of them can bring an average sized bike tyre upto 30 psi.

I got mine from Amazon. I have never used it but keep it with me almost all the time. The kit that I have is made by a company called grand pitstop. Although they are expensive at ₹700 for the inflator kits, they are a standalone system and do not require any help from a passer by. Couple this inflator kit with a tyre plug kit and you have a completely self reliant puncture solution.
Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-img_20171123_191608.jpg
Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-15114448689138788734049038824243.jpg
Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-15114448944963583180671481664945.jpg

Here is the tyre plug kit that I keep along with the inflator kit. I got this from Amazon as well and it's relatively cheaper at ₹300.
Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-15114454070538481126490927017729.jpg
Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-15114454433449103294176875553161.jpg

That's a good jugaad. Would you like to name it, like Jumper cables a Jumper hose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwin1224 (Post 4310629)
Why not just carry a portable air compressor? They are available cheaply and run directly off of the 12v battery.

The portable compressor I have seen is convenient to carry in a car. Or on a bike if you have other luggage with you. It didn't fit anywhere inside the bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 (Post 4310679)
You can also try those compressed CO2 cylinders. These are very small cylinders, small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. The packaging says that three of them can bring an average sized bike tyre upto 30 psi.

Although they are expensive at ₹700 for the inflator kits, they are a standalone system and do not require any help from a passer by. Couple this inflator kit with a tyre plug kit and you have a completely self reliant puncture solution.

Yes, definitely these cylinders will be much more convenient as they are easy to use and make you self reliant. However, you won't be willing to use these to help out another stranded biker even if he's willing to pay considering you are out on a ride yourself.

Also, if you are riding in a group of other bikes, one pipe like this will make the entire group self reliant since then you won't have to wait for a passerby. 2 or 3 bikes can contribute little air each so you can ride off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics (Post 4310699)
That's a good jugaad. Would you like to name it, like Jumper cables a Jumper hose?

Yes! 'Jumper hose' sounds good. Also 'Pressure conduit'. Any more suggestions?

It's such a cute 'invention' , if I may say so. Quite useful and come to think of it , it's actually absurdly simple. Loved its utility. 👍🏻

Quote:

A WORD OF CAUTION!
The Pressure in the tyres of trucks ranges from 90psi to 125psi. The pressure in the tyre of a bike is about 35psi. Very little air will be required to inflate your tyre. Be careful and do not end up bursting the tyre.
I tip my hat to you sir! This is a refreshing and a well thought out solution to this headache. Simply brilliant!

This is insane, how thoughtful! You don't need anyone for additional help when you have such Juggad around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle (Post 4310604)
The shop had all the necessary ingredients. So we got them, and 599gto assembled it right there. Later we had a mock trial and it worked beautifully!

This is such a BRILLIANT idea!

Am amazed I haven't seen it before.

Works really well especially if you're in a 4-wheeler, as you have 3 (or 4 - counting the stepnee) other tyres to borrow air from!

----

I've always wanted a pressurized air dispenser for my home projects / general cleaning. Canned air is just too expensive and barely lasts long enough. Wanted to get a motorcycle inner tube, and a similar pipe to yours, but with this on one end:
Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-otcairblowgun.jpg

When it runs out, can just take the tube to the pump and fill it back up!

Quote:

Because a 6 feet long pipe discreetly sat coiled below my pillion seat. This pipe had 'Air filler valves' at both its ends. And this pipe was supposed to pull me out of my situation without dropping a sweat..

Brilliant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4311154)
----

I've always wanted a pressurized air dispenser for my home projects / general cleaning. Canned air is just too expensive and barely lasts long enough. Wanted to get a motorcycle inner tube, and a similar pipe to yours, but with this on one end:
Attachment 1699072

When it runs out, can just take the tube to the pump and fill it back up!

Elgi used to have a small tank (shaped much like the squat 2Kg LPG cylinders) for just this purpose. Might still be available.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by HariRE350 (Post 4311001)
I tip my hat to you sir! This is a refreshing and a well thought out solution to this headache. Simply brilliant!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrishnakj (Post 4310775)
It's such a cute 'invention' , if I may say so. Quite useful and come to think of it , it's actually absurdly simple. Loved its utility. ����

Quote:

Originally Posted by varoon9999 (Post 4311018)
This is insane, how thoughtful! You don't need anyone for additional help when you have such Juggad around.

Thank You Hari, Jkrishnakj, Various, Rehaan & Sutripta for your inspiring words!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4311154)
This is such a BRILLIANT idea!

All the components necessary for your requirement are readily available in the market. However, I feel that a bike tube will not be sufficient for your purpose. You can try a tank as suggested by Sutripta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4311246)
Brilliant.

Elgi used to have a small tank (shaped much like the squat 2Kg LPG cylinders) for just this purpose. Might still be available.

Regards
Sutripta

Bravo! This is such a great solution for all bikers, and especially those with tubeless tyres.

Considered patenting this?

Quote:

"My bike's punctured. Can I please borrow little air from your spare wheel? "

@Tejas, that's an amazingly simple idea ! Just one passive device, does not need any replenishment of any sort. And you can ask almost any four-wheeler for air from the spare tyre. And trucks would not even feel it.

But like you mentioned - need to be careful with the truck tyres so that you dont put in excess air into your tyre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 4311358)

Considered patenting this?

Let me check the procedure and the rules.

Great idea, Tejas! Carrying the air pump is not possible with luggage. This is amazingly simple. You can even sell this product. I will be one of your first buyers!