Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2018, 15:46   #76
BHPian

Re: New TVS scooter spotted testing. EDIT: Launched as Ntorq 125

Finished my first service with the ntorq after covering 420kms in two months.

Pros
  • Pick up/power
  • Looks
  • Suspension
  • Smart connect instrument cluster
  • Thick tires
  • Great braking (even with drums at back)
  • Split grab handles (can use a cycle lock to lock your helmet even though they are split by using the slit inside each grab handle)
  • Storage bay has mobile charger and lights
  • Well balanced vehicle - this is the first two wheeler I've ridden and it rides like a charm. Even doing 8s at speed are easy.
  • Service center at Domlur is very helpful and polite in dealing with customers
Cons
  • Starting in the morning is slow + delayed throttle response in the morning for few minutes
  • Problems after first service: front fork is loose (hits the extreme end on strong braking) and throttle delay problem increased - they've promised to rectify both in one day

Last edited by di1in : 15th May 2018 at 15:49.
di1in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 17:21   #77
BHPian

Booked the Ntorq in matte red for 75,000 INR from Hare Krishna TVS at Goregaon, Mumbai. The cost includes insurance and a side footrest (the showroom insisted it was mandatory). This was not the lowest price I got while shopping around (Priyanka Motors in Panvel was 2k cheaper) but then the folks were courteous on the phone and had good reviews online. Delivery within 10 days, although I expect it to be much sooner. If you are in the market for this I recommend looking at multiple dealers spread out around the city. Even the ex-showroom cost varied in the quotes I got. Then there are a few who insist on getting insurance from them. Hence, it makes sense to shop around. I asked the dealer about the commonly reported issues with cold start and the fuel gauge and was told they were in the earlier batches and have been resolved.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 23:12   #78
BHPian

TVS has launched the Ntorq in a metallic red shade.

Like this more than the matte finish one.

Source: https://overdrive-in.cdn.ampproject....aint-option%2F
Attached Thumbnails
New TVS scooter spotted testing. EDIT: Launched as Ntorq 125-tvsntorq125metallicred3.jpg  

New TVS scooter spotted testing. EDIT: Launched as Ntorq 125-tvsntorq125metallicred2.jpg  

New TVS scooter spotted testing. EDIT: Launched as Ntorq 125-tvsntorq125metallicred1.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 14:22   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS has also announced that the N Torq has crossed sales of 1 lac units. Good showing by TVS, now if only they can work some of this sales magic on the roundly praised RR310.

Source - https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...h-units-409732
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 21:20   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
[*] Starting in the morning is slow + delayed throttle response in the morning for few minutes
Vloggers have come forward with this complaint as well -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 21:52   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Vloggers have come forward with this complaint as well -
Auto-choke has always been a hit and miss in this country, be it Kinetic, Bajaj and now TVS. When will these manufacturers ever learn.

As for users, please be aware that when the choke is engaged you have to keep the throttle slightly open while cranking the motorcycle, not enough for the slide to go up but just enough that you don't flood the motor, because even too much fuel in the combustion chamber would cause the motorcycle to not fire up.

As for the remaining issues mentioned by the Vlogger, the tank is working as intended, the rubber seal ensures that the water surrounding the mouth doesn't go into the tank, after rainfall there would always be some water outside the ring which means that the seal is working as intended. If on opening the tank the water level is so high that it falls into the tank then that is a different issue of the drain pipe being clogged.

High idle again is what's causing the motorcycle to crawl without throttle and this again is a result of the choke circuit being engaged.

Refusing to start when hot is again the after effect of the choke circuit remaining open causing the motor to flood, to resolve this issue you with the throttle pinned at WOT you would have to hit the starter, this momentarily leans out the charge entering the combustion chamber and results in the fuel inside the combustion chamber igniting. As seen in the video, do not open the throttle while cranking, this just causes more fuel to go in as there is suction from intake that forces the slide up which again brings in more fuel to the mix.

Depending on the experience of the user these could be seen as issues or not. Though personally I'd suggest you understand how carburation works rather than insist that the A.S.S work on your carburetor as that is known to cause more harm than good.

Cheers and Happy Riding.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 23rd September 2018 at 21:54.
ashwinprakas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 08:23   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Auto-choke has always been a hit and miss in this country, be it Kinetic, Bajaj and now TVS. When will these manufacturers ever learn.

As for users, please be aware that when the choke is engaged you have to keep the throttle slightly open while cranking the motorcycle, not enough for the slide to go up but just enough that you don't flood the motor, because even too much fuel in the combustion chamber would cause the motorcycle to not fire up.
Agree. Most of the time it starts without much fuss though the idle keeps varying a bit till the engine is warmed up. Flooding the carb will ensure it wont start until the rich fuel mixture is out.

Quote:
As for the remaining issues mentioned by the Vlogger, the tank is working as intended, the rubber seal ensures that the water surrounding the mouth doesn't go into the tank, after rainfall there would always be some water outside the ring which means that the seal is working as intended. If on opening the tank the water level is so high that it falls into the tank then that is a different issue of the drain pipe being clogged.
Agreed again. My scooter has a lot of rains this season, not once did the water enter in to the tank, it is working as expected.

Quote:
High idle again is what's causing the motorcycle to crawl without throttle and this again is a result of the choke circuit being engaged.
Mentioned this in my ownership thread, the idle is set well over 2500 rpm not sure for what reason. Unless mentioned, they dont bother to reduce this to 1500 rpm

Apart from this, the fuel seems to very low and repeated cranking will not start vehicle. Some of the issues are blown out of proportion. I would love to see how it starts after some fuel has been fed in to the tank.

PS: I have parked the vehicle for over a week, it started with a slightly longish crank unlike what is shown in that video.
Old 24th September 2018, 14:02   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Mentioned this in my ownership thread, the idle is set well over 2500 rpm not sure for what reason. Unless mentioned, they dont bother to reduce this to 1500 rpm
If you're certain that the idle has been set high i.e even after riding for long the idle sticks to 2.5 base then you could lower it.

I used to ride a Wego, on it there is a cap in the boot to access the carburetor but that is difficult, you could have better access by removing the boot, to do that you can remove the entire boot by undoing the bolts holding it in place;

New TVS scooter spotted testing. EDIT: Launched as Ntorq 125-img_20150912_132655.jpg

Once its off, you could simply find the idle screw and then bring down the idle.

If its a round slide carburetor as seen in my Wego, you will have to find the brass screw that is centered to the base of where the slide would be, if its a CV carburetor(unlikely) then it is the screw at the base of the butterfly pulley.

This is a roughly a 10 min job, you can even get this done at the A.S.S, but having seen the way how they work on motorcycles that come in for service I would suggest that you take the DIY route.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 24th September 2018, 15:23   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
If you're certain that the idle has been set high i.e even after riding for long the idle sticks to 2.5 base then you could lower it.

To add on to Ashwin's comment, the idle adjustment in the Ntorq is via a screw below the little dome in the seat storage area. Just open the screws with the screwdriver in the toolkit and you can see a brass coloured "screw" and turn it very gently to adjust the idling rpm. Or else ask the service centre can do it front of you as it takes about 5 minutes.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 13:20   #85
BHPian

Completed my first service of the Ntorq after 2 months and ~290 kms.
Pros:
  • Super smooth engine. Absolutely no vibrations upto 86 kmph. I haven't exceeded the speed beyond this
  • Very manoeuvrable and masks its weight very well
  • Stable at high speeds
  • Mileage went up to 53 kmpl (mostly highway riding) from 36 kmpl (highway + city) after the first service. Have checked this via the tankful to tankful method. Will check again the next time I fill up
Cons:
  • The seat could have been a tad longer to make it more comfortable with a pillion
  • There is a hump in the storage area which prevents the entire space being used effectively
  • Navigation is a hit or miss. Google maps should have been chosen over MapmyIndia. The turn by turn navigation instructions are sometimes delayed or not updated at all.
  • Pathetic service centres are going to ruin the experience of an excellent product (see below)
  • Very few service centres in Mumbai compared to the competition
All said and done, no complaints with the product. As mentioned earlier, the service centres are another story altogether.

Buying experience: The dealership hadn't done a pre delivery inspection and the brand new scoot had rust stains and scratches in several places. After pointing them out we were assured by the SA that they will be fixed after first service. We then proceeded to take delivery and after riding a short distance realized that when the throttle was released and the scooter came to idle, the engine would shut off. By this time the showroom had shut and the mechanics were unavailable (being a festival day, we couldn’t go earlier). Called the SA who showed up and rode the scoot back to the showroom. He tried calling a few mechanics back but couldn’t get anyone. He then finally had to open the storage area of the scooter himself and tune the rpm screw. Now this was something which should have been checked before delivery. It would have been fine until this point, except the SA started saying there is no problem (even before realizing the scooter was shutting down). At this point me and my family who had accompanied us lost it and gave him an earful. We then left the scooter there and asked him to rectify everything before we take the scooter back. This was duly over the next few days with a lot of back and forth.

First service (different dealership): This was a complete nightmare.

1. Promising to finish service in 1 hour but taking over 5 hours: When I booked my service over the phone I was told that an express service would be done in 1-1.5 h but upon reaching was told it would take 2-2.5 h. I agreed reluctantly and dropped off my vehicle. However, I didn't get a call from the service centre. I finally got in touch with them myself and was told the advisor would call me back in 2 minutes but there was no call back. I decided to go back to the service centre and upon asking why they did not even call me back, I was told curtly that service takes time and the technician did not call me back because the scooter was not ready. He could have at least had the decency to let me know of the same by calling me back. I dropped the scooter at 2 pm but found the scooter was not ready even at 6.30 pm.

2. Damage to number plate during service: When my scooter was got out after the service, I was shocked to see a number missing from the number plate. When I got this to the SA’s attention he said it came off during washing because it was a sticker. I asked him if that was so then do all the vehicles have their numbers removed during washing? He rudely said if it is a sticker then it will come off. Note that the number plate was provided by a TVS showroom during purchase. If the service centre is aware this is a problem then why are they pressure washing the number plate? They simply used a permanent marker and wrote the number on there and refused to accept any responsibility.

3. Race idling issue: After 5 hours, I was ready to take my scooter home at 7 pm. I took a short ride and found the scooter was shutting off. Basically, the idling rpm was incorrectly set (deja vu anyone?). If the service centre took so long for a basic service, they should have at least done these basic checks. I waited another 20 minutes for this to be resolved.

4. Display and ignition not turning on: I rode the scooter home and covered a distance of 10 kms. When I turned the scooter off and back on, the display would not come on. Turning the engine kill switch on and cranking the ignition did not do anything. The scooter was dead. I had to try turning the key on and off multiple times before the scooter would turn on. I also saw some code on the display before the screen came on. A day later the scooter was completely dead. Thankfully this happened at home and not somewhere in the middle of the road. Again, the service centre should have checked all connections before giving back the scooter.

I wrote a long email to TVS at Customercare@tvsmotor.com. I got a call from the service manager the next day asking me to get the scooter towed by calling TVS road side assistance. I really wanted them to come home and fix the issues but decided to do as he asked. Turns out, no one was answering the phone despite multiple tries. Now this is advertised as a 24/7 service by TVS but is clearly not the case. I gave up after some time and told the manager that I am unable to get in touch with them. He then said he would get in touch with them and they would call me back. After an hour had passed there was still no call. The manager then agreed to come with a mechanic and check the scooter at home. Sure enough, a battery lead was loose. The manager said this happens when the scooter goes over bad roads (you can see a trend emerging here where they refuse to accept responsibility). He further said they do not check the battery after the first service (but the service manual mentions that all connections are to be checked). Anyway, at this point we were just grateful to be done and have the scooter up and running.

To summarize, love the Ntorq but hate dealing with the service guys.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:38   #86
BHPian

I bought a Ntorq is August and as soon I got the vehicle's registration number, I checked in Vahaan and saw that my dad's name was not right in the records.

Immediately I notified the dealer and asked them to correct it. Usually RC takes 20-25 days from the date of registration to reach the dealer and I was hoping that if I raise the issue immediately, the dealer would be in a position to correct the RC before the RTO releases the RC.

Sometime towards the end of October I got the physical RC and the RC had the wrong name. I raised this issue again with dealer and refused to collect the RC.

Its been almost 2 months and there has been no response from the dealer. Whenever I visit them all they say is that it is under process.

Had complained with TVS and TVS representative told me that I would receive a complaint number over email and SMS. Its been over 2 days since I raised a complaint and there is no word from TVS as well.

Looks like I am on my own and I will have to fight it out.
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hello everybody. NTORQ is a huge hit in Bangalore, see dozens of them. The dealership experience is tepid when I went to visit Bharat in Jayanagar. I don't mind travelling a distance for the best showroom experience in Bangalore. Can you guys suggest the best, if not the biggest in the City? We are also considering Grande though these two products are miles apart. How is your experience with NTORQ (would you recommend?). Any quality issues not covered in this section? My friend gets 25KMPL, but the fun element is unbeatable, he says. Thanks in advance

TVS is running double spread ads in Bike India. Earlier it gained traction by 'word of mouth'
Attached Thumbnails
New TVS scooter spotted testing. EDIT: Launched as Ntorq 125-image11.png  

Most Viewed