Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889

In January 2017, Okinawa Autotech launched the Ridge - its first electric scooter in India. The Gurgaon based company is now gearing up to launch its second e-scooter, the Praise in December 2017.

Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889-praise-creative-media.png

A teaser image of the Praise released by the company reveals a large V-shaped headlamp cluster with an integrated LED daytime running light (DRL) on the apron flanked by LED pilot lamps.

The image further reveals that the Praise is likely to get a telescopic fork front suspension that is finished in a golden shade. While the Ridge is offered with drum brakes, the Praise is likely to get a disc brake in the front. The e-scooter will come equipped with side stand sensors, an anti-theft sensor in the main stand and combi brakes.

The company claims that the Okinawa Praise has clocked the highest speed and the longest range yet achieved by an e-scooter. This means, it is expected to be quicker than the Ridge, which has a top speed of 55 km/h. It also means that it will have a longer range than the Ridge's 80-90 km on a single charge.

Pre-bookings for the Praise open on November 24, 2017. The booking amount has been set at Rs. 2,000.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 11:32   #2
BHPian

re: Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889

Hope its a well finished product with reasonable acceleration, top speed and price. The time of EVs is here, whoever comes out with decent products will enjoy commercial success.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:03   #3
BHPian

re: Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889

True, though I wonder what ails the Ather S340. Been in development like 3 years? Hope it doesn't remain a prototype and sees the light of day soon.
Old 19th December 2017, 14:42   #4
BHPian

Okinawa Praise launched at Rs. 59,889. With top speed of 75 kph and range of 170-200 kms, this looks promising!

There's a weird disc brake at front! Looks somewhat tacky!

Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889-okinawapraise1_720x540.jpg

Source

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 19th December 2017 at 14:43.
ksameer1234 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 15:49   #5
BHPian

170 - 200 kms, this kind of range is unheard of! Hope the scooter lives up to the promises.

News link- https://auto.ndtv.com/news/okinawa-p...from=home-auto

The link mentions that the battery has a life of 2000 charge cycles. Does that mean if one charge gives you 170kms then the bike's battery would last for 340000kms? That's too high and seems a bit strange.

Attaching a screenshot from the Okinawa website.
Attached Thumbnails
Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889-okinawa-praise.jpg  

Last edited by musclecar : 19th December 2017 at 16:00. Reason: updating data
musclecar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 15:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
There's a weird disc brake at front! Looks somewhat tacky!
It's a twin disc setup at the front with a single disc at the rear.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 16:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

I came across this article on the net and wondered "Okinawa" praise E- scooter launched in India. A city in Japan praises an e-scooter launched in India.
Japanese are ahead in terms of technology and most of our earlier motorbikes had Japanese collaboration.(TVS Suzuki, Kawasaki Bajaj, Hero Honda, Yamaha) What great thing has India done that the Japs are praising.

Then I figured it was the name of the bike model launched by an Indian manufacturer named Okinawa.

Coming to the specs. I can straightaway conclude that it offers bang for the buck. Mileage of 175 to 200 kms on a single charge is higher than a tankful on my current Wego.
Cost wise, the on road price is at par with most gasoline run scooters, running cost is lesser than 10% of the current cost. Looks wise great too, added features like front and rear disc brakes, tubeless tyres, LED lights, digital instrument cluster etc are good value adds.

Only points are infrastructure for charging. Many of us may not have a charging point in the basement of our apartment, I think the bike allows to detach the battery, take it to the charging point and re-assemble.

Service and spare parts of this bike is another question mark. The company has started operations in 2015, so still unknown quantity as far as service is concerned. But in a bike which may have about 15 parts with no oil or lubrication required, what can really go wrong?

I drove the hero electric bikes in my work place as part of a promotion. There is absolutely no sound or vibration to let you know the bike is on. Torque and acceleration was awesome too. Only downside I felt was the telescopic shock absorbers were not upto the mark and resulted in a relatively rough ride over speed breakers. Else, nothing wrong in shifting from IC to EV as this is the future.

Last edited by hrman : 19th December 2017 at 16:14.
hrman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 10:22   #8
BHPian

Hello!

I am also very much interested in this Electric scooter if it delivers what it promises.
But would like to know owner's review / experience with brand.
Old 20th December 2017, 10:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post

Only points are infrastructure for charging. Many of us may not have a charging point in the basement of our apartment,
This particular point needs some serious discussion.

Very soon EVs will be upon us. We need to find a way how to go about installing chargers in apartment basements that are accessible to required parties.

Also concerned parties pay for the electricity usage rather than it become a part of common amenities bill.

Please share options and ideas.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
This particular point needs some serious discussion.

Very soon EVs will be upon us. We need to find a way how to go about installing chargers in apartment basements that are accessible to required parties.

Also concerned parties pay for the electricity usage rather than it become a part of common amenities bill.

Please share options and ideas.
Best is to have a detachable battery that you can carry to your home and charge overnight. Lot of us live in places which don't even have basements or for that matter, a proper parking. Then there is also the question of battery theft when parked outside

More important is how will this 170kms per charge fade with time? In two years, say, will it be down to 90kms per charge? It's somewhat naive to assume 170kms per charge across the 2000 charging cycles. It'll run down far earlier than that.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889

Regarding detachable batteries, do give a thought to lugging one across. Especially in apt buildings. It is quite difficult to carry one decent size invertor battery even on those rare occasions. Wonder what would this battery weigh ..
Old 20th December 2017, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Re: Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889

The specifications look promising to start with. What needs to be checked is the battery replacement cost, battery life/degradation in range over battery life cycle, service network etc. I would definitely go for this scooter, provided I get some real life user reviews/ownership report. I think a lot of us will keep this same approach! Let us hope that this product starts the ball rolling for EV's in the 2-wheeler segment in India!
Old 20th December 2017, 14:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

FYI, For 59xxx you get Lead acid battery and I am unsure if 170-200KM range is valid for this battery. Praise with optional Li-ion battery costs 10K more. As per Autocar " lithium-ion battery will cost around Rs 10k more but will bring faster charge times and significantly lower weight. Peak torque figures are yet to be revealed. Okinawa also claims that the e-scooter will offer a comparatively high top speed of 75kph (the Ridge is capable of 55kph) and quick charging time of two hours (in the case of the Li-ion battery); standard charging time is quoted at six to eight hours."

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne..._medium=Social
Old 20th December 2017, 17:10   #14
BHPian

I think the disk brakes, and two of them both front & back, is kind of an overkill on a scooter, which wont go more than perhaps 60 kmph in its lifetime and would generally be driven at below 40-50 kmph. They should rather have regen braking systems to improve the range. Dont know why all EVs are going with disc brakes - maybe lower weight. Most existing ICE scooters have both drum brakes and they perform quite well.

Unlike the thought process at most of these companies, I think EVs would work better, much better in smaller towns / cities. Ironically, most of these EV makers seem to be focused on metros (Blr, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Delhi). People mostly stay in bunglows / rowhouses / G+1 houses and the multi-storey apartments are very less. Even when there are multi-storey apartments, they are less than G+4 / G+7, where getting your own charging socket on ground level (with a box & lock to avoid misuse) is much easier.

The battery & motor are the 2 major components in EV, just like Engine & gearbox (CVT) is in an ICE scooter. I would like them to offer a warranty on the battery & motor of 5 years to make the 'jump from proven to new technology' worth it. More so, since all the EV scooters available in the country (and there have been quite a number of companies) have been duds with batteries requiring expensive replacement in 2 years, costing 8-10k. The fuel savings do not even pay for the battery leave alone the entire scooter.
Old 20th December 2017, 19:37   #15
BHPian

Wondering what made them go with the twin disc set up when they could've saved both weight and cost with a single unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks