Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 19:40   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

For all the vocal free speech brigade:

Please note that posting free speech online over whatsapp or youtube that could instigate public violence (sectarian/religious) can put you away in jail for a very very long time.

Free speech is not stupid speech. The vlogger was stupid. The goons who hit him are criminals. The former should shut up, the latter should be shut up.

Last edited by Red Liner : 6th December 2017 at 19:42.
Red Liner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 22:37   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Free speech is not stupid speech. The vlogger was stupid. The goons who hit him are criminals. The former should shut up, the latter should be shut up.
Aptly summarized in a single line. Unfortunately people do not understand this and take both to the extremes.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 23:50   #138
BHPian

Quote:
For all the vocal free speech brigade:

Please note that posting free speech online over whatsapp or Youtube that could instigate public violence (sectarian/religious) can put you away in jail for a very very long time.
The Constitution allows every individual to exercise her/his fundamental rights as long as another individual's rights are not infringed upon. So posting incendiary messages online is indeed against the law as it might pose a threat to the safety of the public.

But how can you compare that to what the vlogger did? False equivalence. Whose right did he infringe by criticising a God damned bike? As far as my knowledge goes, there is no fundamental right to take offence.
satishv1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 01:10   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
But how can you compare that to what the vlogger did? False equivalence. Whose right did he infringe by criticising a God damned bike? As far as my knowledge goes, there is no fundamental right to take offence.
Biking is his religion, and the bike his goddess??? Just kidding. The things that people take offence for (around the world) is plain ridiculous.

Language: It is not as if a child has a choice, but to speak what the parents speak. Why take pride, or offence over that?
State/country: Imaginary line drawn by humans, and stories spun around it. Why take pride/offence? Name one other species that respects this line. Neither does nature - air and water.
Food:

I can go on - but people may take offence.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 02:44   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Name one other species that respects this line.
Completely , but.

Pride of lions, street dogs, hyenas, etc they all are very territorial. Plenty of examples in mother nature.

The behaviour shown by the 'biker' gang, here is very much an animal instinct. A society where the people can rise above such instincts, is worth living in my book.
ecenandu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 03:14   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Completely , but.
Pride of lions, street dogs, hyenas, etc they all are very territorial. Plenty of examples in mother nature.
In my opinion, predators being territorial is very different from nationalistic pride over boundaries of a country. A person in Kerala need not take offence or pride at the line of control in Kashmir. And no Lions do not make calls to wipe out humanity if there is trespassing. All said and done, humans can choose to be make better choices than wild animals.

This I agree. That a wild animal choses to act out in a certain way need not be the guiding light in humans asserting power, and acting like thugs.

I may have stepped into hostile territory by mentioning national pride. Perhaps I should have stopped at Food and Language.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 07:18   #142
Senior - BHPian

Interesting discussions that reconfirm that Team BHP members are no different or special from others in the country in terms of how they think, as indeed some also show on the road in their stickered vehicles by the way they drive.

The surprise is about the delusion that this should be the case - Why should it?
Sawyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 10:23   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

Also about the fact that the vlogger used language which even at T-Bhp (a closed forum) will call for a ban or a strong reprimand, he used it on a public forum. That is wrong.

But hope that the vlogger learnt a thing or two about copy checking his posts before putting them up in a public platform.

ac
Agreed. I am sure the vlogger has learnt his lesson. His post was correct, but the language was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

Also the z800 owner did keep up the bike for opinions, not to be abused. That is wrong.
ac
Nonetheless, being abused or being called sh***y is also an opinion my dear sir. One cannot put is bike up for show and then accept only praises and no criticisms. Would he have reacted like this had the post said 'wonderful bike'?
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 14:22   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Please note that posting free speech online over whatsapp or Youtube that could instigate public violence (sectarian/religious) can put you away in jail for a very very long time.
Possibly OT:

This is one step away from 1984 and not far off from what exists in China. I can't be alone when I say I'm not a fan of this authoritarian/totalitarian nonsense. If you don't like it, don't read/watch it and just ignore it. In these cases, ignorance really is bliss.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 10:30   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
Possibly OT:

This is one step away from 1984 and not far off from what exists in China. I can't be alone when I say I'm not a fan of this authoritarian/totalitarian nonsense. If you don't like it, don't read/watch it and just ignore it. In these cases, ignorance really is bliss.
Totally agree with you on "don't like it, don't read/watch it".
But I would say we are not approaching China/1984. In those cases, the Govt is forcing censorship. Sadly in India (and shockingly even on our forum), looks like majority wants this and being democratic, the Govt is just following.
timuseravan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 10:37   #146
Senior - BHPian

That mirrors something that Obama said in his recent visit to India: that politicians in a democracy are only a mirror of the constituency that elects them. Anything about them - good or bad - is a reflection what is desired by those that vote them to power. And that voters need to be careful to vote only for those that reflect their values and beliefs.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks