Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2017, 13:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800

While it was silly for the Motovlogger to think he could get away with comments against people's machines at an event held in celebration of their love of their bikes, to all the educated bhpians here saying that they would also "respond to such threats in my own convenient way", come on, seriously? If you really love your bike so much then you would not be so insecure about it as to believe that anyone who doesn't like it and is expressing their hate for it, is threatening you. I would be really ashamed to find a bhpian acting in the manner that those testosterone fuelled idiots did to that motovlogger over such a petty issue as one's opinion
IshaanIan is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is the owner getting offended? That bike does look like a public convenience on wheels. The poor guy is telling the truth.
If you don't want to hear how it looks, don't bring it to bike week.

Last edited by navin : 29th November 2017 at 16:46. Reason: offensive language.
mayankk is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would be really ashamed to find a bhpian acting in the manner that those testosterone fuelled idiots did to that motovlogger over such a petty issue as one's opinion
After all, bhpians are humans, the main common interest is the passion for automobiles. You will find all sort of people here as well.

Physical assault should be condemned no questions here.

Different strokes for different people, right. Hope people respect that.
ecenandu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 14:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

What would happen if (hypothetically) a group of vloggers get together and hammer the living daylights out of that biker. Then make him apologise to a camera. Every such person thinks of themselves as a justice deliverer, a superhero very much in the Singham mould. It is their duty to hammer their thoughts and beliefs into someone by overpowering by sheer numbers and literally bullying and threatening all that stands in their path.

Vigilantes and mob justice have no place in a developed society. But with examples like these, we can only deduce that as a society we have instead regressed.

No support either for the vlogger who chose foul language to describe something he did not like. It seems like the curtain of social media offers a type of security for oddballs who mistake abuses for being cool or reaching out to a specific audience.

A classic case where everyone involved ends up looking a loser.
selfdrive is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 16:43   #20
BHPian

From where the OP has started, this thread has clearly branched out into two points of view.
And, I really cannot believe it in this forum.

Come on guys, lets say two crimes were committed that night
a) A guy posted pictures degrading a mod job, and lets even say he abused the bike with distasteful words.
b) A mob manhandled him and made him bow down in front of the bike. This is quite barbarian.

Is it even a question as to which is more shameful ? How can we justify violence with exasperation like "he should have stayed away from that bike". And freedom of expression is freedom to express yourself. Not to beat anybody up if somebody is expressing. Nobody is authorized to punish anybody.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 16:51   #21
BHPian

Countering negative comments with educated arguments requires a lot more grey matter and effort than ganging up and resorting to vigilantism. Accepting or even ignoring criticism is a thing of the past. In the environment today of anything goes, anybody can openly issue death threats, announce bounties on heads of people, even chief ministers, etc. etc. and still get away scot free. This abhorrent act is the maximum decency that can be expected.

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 29th November 2017 at 16:53.
AJITHAAA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:06   #22
BHPian

When a bunch of hooligans decide to call themselves bikers and gather in a huge group at a namesake "biker" gala, such ego missiles are bound to be fired!

What the wannabe vlogger did was : form an opinion on a certain something. He was very well within his rights to call the bike(s) beautiful or ugly. We all are reacting as if we've never said such things. Right from childhood to marriage, we don't form an alliance if the other party is ugly.
We have 2 threads on this very forum discussing beauty and ugliness w.r.t modded vehicles.

Where he went wrong : venue. Should have waited till he reached home/hotel.
Because RiderMania, IBW are such classless events copied from international events with all the masala and junk, locals and govt. are happy earning, elders are bleeding from their ears, while rowdies are happy beating, revving and posing.

When one clicks more pics or shows off more and rides/drives less, I know whom not to be in touch with.
Regarding the crowd - they're goons, not bikers.
Most people who attend such events once, do NOT repeat their visits again.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2017 at 10:59. Reason: Content.
Divya Sharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
From where the OP has started, this thread has clearly branched out into two points of view.
And, I really cannot believe it in this forum.

Come on guys, lets say two crimes were committed that night
a) A guy posted pictures degrading a mod job, and lets even say he abused the bike with distasteful words.
b) A mob manhandled him and made him bow down in front of the bike. This is quite barbarian.

Is it even a question as to which is more shameful ? How can we justify violence with exasperation like "he should have stayed away from that bike". And freedom of expression is freedom to express yourself. Not to beat anybody up if somebody is expressing. Nobody is authorized to punish anybody.
How is Point A a "crime". Someone didnt like a modded bike and posted something about it - you dont agree with his comments then either reply or ignore.

I dont understand how beating up someone is a "natural" reaction to this. But with whats going around nowadays in our country - not to be surprised i guess.

Last edited by ethanhunt123 : 29th November 2017 at 17:24.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:18   #24
BHPian

One small question. This is not a question of someones privacy being invaded. No one crept into his garage and clicked the pic. The bike was literally on display at a biker event, open to everyone's interpretation.
What was the owner's expectation? That no one will look at his bike? And while the post by the vlogger was immature and distasteful, you can't beat someone up for calling your bike ugly. Come on! He didn't insult your mother.

The way you shouldn't go OD on happiness when people call your bike beautiful, you shouldn't feel bad enough to beat anyone up when someone calls it ugly.
naturaldisaster is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
How Point A a "crime". Someone didnt like a modded bike and posted something about it - you dont agree with his comments then either reply or ignore.

I dont understand how beating up someone is a "natural" reaction to this. But with whats going around nowadays in our country - not to be surprised i guess.
Of course abusing a bike is not a "crime" per me. I was just pointing out the acts because somewhere in this thread it was compared to demeaning family etc.
Old 29th November 2017, 18:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If they are going to call me names i would be happy to let them know how i respond to such threats in my own convenient way.
Sorry if you didn’t know, but this is a free country. With freedom of speech. People will give their own opinion over whatever they want, it’s their own PERSONAL view.
It’s people like you who spread violence by your aggravating talk. Convenient way it seems. That vlogger was alone. Hence, they took advantage of him. But imagine if he had also come in his own gang. Imagine the consequences then.
That bike is surely ugly. I will call it that. But if you don’t like my opinion, you are free to form yours. Abuse in the same way that the other person did. Verbally.
Manhandling is not the right way and do not spread your “convenient ways” on this forum. Let’s keep it civil here.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2017 at 10:59.
The Brutailer is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 18:20   #27
BHPian

Dangerously Arrogant and Outrageously Abhorrent !

And I am aghast some of the bhpians think that Vlogger asked for it.
This is much more detestable and an implied agreement to dehumanisation.
Regardless of the enthusiasm or passion or whatever one can have for vehicles, unable to take any form of criticism or 'shit talking' about the vehicles and reacting in a violent way is not just completely unacceptable but dangerous.
It is much more shocking to read someone saying that 'passing comments on vehicles is akin to passing comments on opposite sex!'
No Sir ,commenting on a bike or property is not the same as commenting on a person.
While the latter act causes a person to be psychologically tortured, the same cannot be said about the bikes; but if someone thinks they have right to get offended and can indulge in violence , it only portrays their snobbish or immature behavior which indirectly undermines the sanctity of life.
Only a few things like religious or national symbols carry an intrinsic value because they represent a nation or group and some iconoclasts still choose to criticize it though philosophers and ideologues choose to accept it, given the values those monuments or ideologies cherish.
One could endlessly love their bike or car, but no amount of materialistic things can equal an individual and we have still not risen to that level to consider bikes or cars holy.

No, you can not physically abuse someone on the road just because he is commenting or shouting expletives about your bike. The person who attacks someone because he could not take criticism about his machine is a bigger threat to the society.

By the way, I wonder how many would apply the same analogy to Religious extremists who think anyone criticising their religion should be hanged.
So, when someone kills other person over matters of faith , please do not castigate the killer. After all, it was his faith , bigger than his life and any other life.
Bike or Religion , violence or death , only the degrees in madness vary !

I am baffled to see arguments of right to freedom of speech in trivial and flimsy issues like these.
No matter what stuff the Vlogger posted about a bike, the bikers had absolutely no right or reason to take personal offence to posts online over a bike and physically violate an individual. Absolutely Not !
The best they could have done is take the issue to the blogger and ask him to delete those posts or bring it to the notice of the website admin or moderator.
Now, coming to the action of Vlogger, it only appears to be an unlearned , half-baked opinion , but it is just an opinion over a vehicle, at the end of the day.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2017 at 11:00.
poised2drive is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 18:20   #28
BHPian

Yes how dare that vlogger. How could he ? Who gave him the authority? What does he think, he can have an opinion about something ? He thinks this is a free country ? .
Wait a minute ! ok never mind !

People are going to have opinions. Deal with it!!. I ride an enfield, I ride with a club, I attend these biking events. Doesn't make me special in anyway
My friends call my bike a stone age relic, I don't find my ego hurt, I take it in my stride and even join in on the roast.

I own a jawa and a road king and every time they break down(Trust me this happens a lot), I become the fodder for the all jokes of that week. That doesn't make me any less of a biker.
Like someone pointed out, we have a separate thread mocking modified vehicle. This is the sort of thing we do. Judge each others vehicles shamelessly.
Being tall, bulky, macho and nauseatingly egoistic about a vehicle doesn't make one a biker, it makes him/her a stereotype.

In my honest opinion the whole thing probably was fueled by alcohol and an utter lack of self respect.
To those who think he shouldn't have commented, here's my two cents:
Your money, Your time and your bike, but its his mouth, his opinion and his right.

If you want to disagree, go ahead ( You have the right to have an opinion just like he did).

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2017 at 11:00.
virage is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 18:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Like the famous line in Mahabharata "We are the cause, we are the consequence"
The vlogger should have understood that if he is going to make derogatory statements about someone else's prized possession, there are going to be opponents with same level of immaturity and he should be ready to face its consequences. We dont live in a perfect world. How we express ourselves is very important in today's world. He could have put his opinions in a much better way but using F word normally is the 'in' thing today I guess.

On a lighter note, the guy actually saying sorry to the bike herself really got me
He really hurt the owner's feelings.

We all agree that violence was not called for, but can we do anything about it ? The vlogger is free to lodge a police complaint and let the law get those people.
Old 29th November 2017, 18:32   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
When a bunch of hooligans decide to call themselves bikers and gather in a huge group at a namesake "biker" gala, such ego missiles are bound to be fired!

What the wannabe vlogger did was : form an opinion on a certain something. He was very well within his rights to call the bike(s) beautiful or ugly. We all are reacting as if we've never said such things. Right from childhood to marriage, we don't form an alliance if the other party is ugly.
We have 2 threads on this very forum discussing beauty and ugliness w.r.t modded vehicles.

Where he went wrong : venue. Should have waited till he reached home/hotel.

Because RiderMania, IBW are such classless events copied from international events with all the masala and junk, locals and govt. are happy earning, elders are bleeding from their ears, while rowdies are happy beating, revving and posing.

When one clicks more pics or shows off more and rides/drives less, I know whom not to be in touch with.

Regarding the crowd - they're goons, not bikers.
Most people who attend such events once, do NOT repeat their visits again.
You are right, I was there, and I will probably never visit again, definitely by not paying one thousand as entry charge, when majority of those bikes are available for display/test drive in showrooms itself.

Regarding the incident I strongly condemn it, yup he made an unwanted remark, so did the biker. One on one conversation with outcome of shaking hands and laughing it off would have been the best possible result.
AtheK is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks