Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2017, 09:38   #91
BHPian

Re: Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800

Honestly I am shocked people even consider there are two side to this story. Both the "vlogger" and the bike owner come off as idiots but the vlogger has 100% right to post his opinion on his page. The owner can ignore it or he can approach the courts and/or police for having the page taken down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sharing this!

The bike owner who bashed up this motovlogger has a history of violence. He was in the news earlier for beating up a policeman.

Source & Full Article
I absolutely know this type. With the exponential rise in land rates around the baner-sus area, a lot of local landholders have suddenly becomes crorepaties. They are all builders, connected to local politics, drive these flashy luxury cars, superbikes for their kids and their passion seems to be "Appasahebanna Hardik Shubhecha" flex baord
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:31   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
This mob-rule needs to be reined in somehow.
I agree, but the question we need to ponder about is: How?

The police have a role to play, but just that isn't enough. There are never going to be enough of them in any part of the country if it is to be entirely a matter of active policing.

Then there is something that the better intentioned majority - I dare to hope that it is a majority - also needs to be doing to not leave a vacuum by its absence that will get filled in, one way or the other. And I don't mean this something to be violence in return!

And mob rule must be reined in regardless of any merit of any cause it is supporting, even if that cause is dear to our hearts. There is no such thing as good mob rule. All mob rule is bad.

None of this is new in India, and what is making it worse today is the amplification and extension of this via/to social media. Add to that the rapid increase in the people, particularly the young, that don't have a job that fulfils a constructive purpose and a very potent mix is brewing under our collective noses.
Old 1st December 2017, 10:43   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Guess it is his bad luck, to have said the wrong thing, about the wrong thing, at the wrong place!
Sorry, I cannot agree with any of these classifications. What is bad luck here? That he was born in a society where goondagiri thrives? What is so wrong in saying those words about that bike? Isn't there any freedom of expression?

The first sign of a civilized society is learning to live with disagreement. To agree to have the same feelings about each others bikes/biking lifestyle. Our society has gotten so thin skinned- sensitive, it is no wonder that making any comment about powerful humans, their god-men, or gods is a certain death. This is very unfortunate.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:17   #94
BHPian

Saw the vlogger's video telling his side of the story. When a bunch of rowdies start bullying a middle class guy who otherwise wouldn't have been in thick of things like these, he would get scared big time. When these threats keep coming right through the night and days following the incident, it's natural of him to just do whatever it takes to get rid of the scary part, and move on in the life.

It's not very difficult to see why he supposedly "accepted his fault" and apologized, unless one is just not willing to see it. Handwaving that as "admission of guilt by the vlogger" and then wondering why he is not filing police complaint, is either very naive, or very cunning. I will leave it to the forum to decide which one it is.

After all, it's not hard to imagine that those posers would have 'sympathizing' moles, having some way with words, for representing them on all possible forums, including this.
ghatotkatch is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 12:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
Handwaving that as "admission of guilt by the vlogger" and then wondering why he is not filing police complaint, is either very naive, or very cunning. I will leave it to the forum to decide which one it is.
It is all too easy too say this: file a police complaint. At the best of times, one wants to stay a healthy distance from the police. And a complaint filed becomes public knowledge and the man has another problem then to cope with from those that know that the complaint is filed.

And these are usually the people whose faces are on the referred flex boards - which incidentally is an easily solved problem if there is the will to solve it. Just notify that anyone whose face is seen on a flex board will be fined Rs 10 lakhs. Per day, on continuing offences. Never mind who put up the board. And never mind whose face is on the board. From the local dada/dadi to leaders of any political party, never mind which one is in power. Or not. All have to pay the fine out of personal income as confirmed by the IT department. Those that don't will be jailed till they do.

But IS there the will to do this?

Last edited by Sawyer : 1st December 2017 at 12:37.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 12:35   #96
BHPian

The vlogger is wrong - he has full rights to say whatever he wants. The only recourse for someone taking offense is to go to court, or try to file a police case.

The vlogger is a product of our society - no wonder he feels it was wrong to make such comments. Goes to show even vloggers, bloggers or some forum members do not understand where our freedoms come from. They do not originate from a society that compromises - like ours, but from societies that protect offensive opinions.

If we apply the rules of our society where compromise rules, there are are thousands of reasons to ban every automobile website in India except the most innocuous ones that never say anything negative about any product or company. And if we do that, its better we all shut shop, close our accounts on social media, and stay silent.
lawdgawd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:04   #97
BHPian

I am of the opinion that the video by the vlogger can be believed. Too many times have i come across such goons residing in Delhi NCR who get a kick out of muscling their way into a parking or running a red light; more money than civilized culture, what else can we expect? While yes, he could have been a little wiser about the way he framed his post, the goons had no right under any circumstances to do what they did. And even if an FIR is filed, them goons will surely have stronger connects in our bribe starved country to turn the tables on him again.

Anyhoo, i am just disappointed that such nonsense has started in other cities too.
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 14:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Issue:

Recently got to come across media shared on WhatsApp showing a Motovlogger being manhandled by some guys at a renowned Biker event which took place in Goa.

The offence as understood from the content is that the Motovlogger had posted distasteful content against a bunch of guys on customized motorcycles attracting attention by Revbanging their motors.

Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800-blogger.jpg

Here, let me say this and support this vblogger who's youtube handle is Biker390

This Modded Kawasaki Z800 is the worst bike I have seen in my entire life, RIP Clutch, RIP Engine, RIP Gearbox. There

Hitting someone because the vblogger criticised a bike of the owner is just pushing it beyond a limit that too after he deleted his post, apologised to that guy on sms and what not.

If people really were like this, our weird and whacky mods thread would lead to most of us getting beaten for posting and commenting on those pictures.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 14:25   #99
BHPian

Frankly speaking, I am quite shocked to see Bhpians condoning the violence against the vlogger. If these comments were on FB or twitter, it would not have been surprising. But not on a highly moderated forum with a strict entry criteria.

Going by these reactions, I assume there will be Bhpians who will justify Salman Rushdie being stoned or a Wendy Doniger getting beaten up. Sad.
satishv1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:37   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Frankly speaking, I am quite shocked to see Bhpians condoning the violence against the vlogger.
I haven't read every single post of this thread, however, in what I've read I didn't see anyone condoning violence (can you please PM me the links if i missed something).

Just wanted to point out that there's a big difference between having the opinion that the Vlogger was "(also) in the wrong" and that he "deserved to be beaten up".
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:51   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I haven't read every single post of this thread, however, in what I've read I didn't see anyone condoning violence (can you please PM me the links if i missed something).

Just wanted to point out that there's a big difference between having the opinion that the Vlogger was "(also) in the wrong" and that he "deserved to be beaten up".
I have absolutely no issues with the Vlogger also being criticized. After all, free speech works both ways.

There are numerous posts where the tone makes it obvious that the vlogger had it coming. ( I will PM you the links) . There is no gray area as far as violence is concerned. Violence against another human being can never be justified, regardless of the provocation.

When one says "He should not have been beaten up but his views were so inflammatory!" , it is as good as justifying violence.

As members of a reputed forum, we must be unequivocal in our criticism of violence. There should never be any "ifs" and "buts".

Last edited by satishv1987 : 1st December 2017 at 16:57. Reason: Grammar.
satishv1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 17:09   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Frankly speaking, I am quite shocked to see Bhpians condoning the violence against the vlogger.
I am not shocked; merely disappointed though not surprised. After all, even the membership here is just a microcosm of the educated elite in the country, and not everyone thinks the same way about such behaviour even where these elites are concerned.

The disappointing thing is what others here have pointed out before me here; we have now become conditioned for many years, even decades now, to not accord enough respect to freedom of speech for many reasons including the "hurting sentiments" thing that is, IMO, an excuse to curb freedom of speech or more likely, to resort to violence in retaliation, to keep us muzzled. Many of us now tend to fall into the thinking that freedom of speech is a lot less in scope than what it is taken for granted in countries commonly accepted as civilised ones, and that such constraint on freedom of speech here is perfectly acceptable for a wide variety of reasons.
Sawyer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 21:54   #103
Senior - BHPian

It's rather appalling to see the educated classes question the Mumbai-based vlogger's post. Whatever happened to free speech? If anything, the guys who assaulted the vlogger should be behind bars by now.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 06:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

But we can take some heart and a laugh from something that is happening even now in the developed and "civilised" West:

"The unofficial greeting in the bilingual Canadian city of Montreal has long been a friendly "Bonjour, Hi!"
But that standard is no more since a motion mandating store clerks to greet customers only in French was passed in Quebec's provincial legislature.
The move reaffirms French as the primary language in the province, where use of English can be controversial.
The motion - which is not a law - was passed unanimously, but the province's premier called the debate "ridiculous".
Introduced by the fiercely Francophile Parti Quebecois, the motion "invites all businesses and workers who enter into contact with local and international clients to welcome them warmly with the word 'bonjour'"."

It seems that in 2013, Italian restaurants had to remove the word "pasta" from menus because it is not a French word.

Silliness is a global phenomenon on the matter of freedom of speech as well.

Ironically, many liberal Americans believe Canada to be a less polarised and better behaved country than their own, which is why all the mostly empty threats many of them made to move to Canada when Trump won.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd December 2017 at 07:06.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:09   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
It's rather appalling to see the educated classes question the Mumbai-based vlogger's post. Whatever happened to free speech? If anything, the guys who assaulted the vlogger should be behind bars by now.

Cheers,

Jay
Quote:
"Now let's take up the minorities in our civilization, shall we? Bigger the population, the more minorities. Don't step on the toes of the dog-lovers, the cat-lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico. The people in this book, this play, this TV serial are not meant to represent any actual painters, cartographers, mechanics anywhere. The bigger your market, Montag, the less you handle controversy, remember that! All the minor minor minorities with their navels to be kept clean. Authors, full of evil thoughts, lock up your typewriters. They did. Magazines became a nice blend of vanilla tapioca. Books, so the damned snobbish critics said, were dishwater. No wonder books stopped selling, the critics said. But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic-books survive. And the three-dimensional sex-magazines, of course. There you have it, Montag. It didn't come from the Government down. There was no dictum, no declaration, no censorship, to start with, no! Technology, mass exploitation, and minority pressure carried the trick, thank God. Today, thanks to them, you can stay happy all the time, you are allowed to read comics, the good old confessions, or trade-journals."
"Yes, but what about the firemen, then?" asked Montag.
"Ah." Beatty leaned forward in the faint mist of smoke from his pipe. "What more easily explained and natural? With school turning out more runners, jumpers, racers, tinkerers, grabbers, snatchers, fliers, and swimmers instead of examiners, critics, knowers, and imaginative creators, the word `intellectual,' of course, became the swear word it deserved to be. You always dread the unfamiliar. Surely you remember the boy in your own school class who was exceptionally 'bright,' did most of the reciting and answering while the others sat like so many leaden idols, hating him. And wasn't it this bright boy you selected for beatings and tortures after hours? Of course it was. We must all be alike. Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal. Each man the image of every other; then all are happy, for there are no mountains to make them cower, to judge themselves against. So! A book is a loaded gun in the house next door. Burn it. Take the shot from the weapon. Breach man's mind. Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? Me? I won't stomach them for a minute. And so when houses were finally fireproofed completely, all over the world (you were correct in your assumption the other night) there was no longer need of firemen for the old purposes. They were given the new job, as custodians of our peace of mind, the focus of our understandable and rightful dread of being inferior; official censors, judges, and executors. That's you, Montag, and that's me."
Quote:
Peace, Montag. Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of non-combustible data, chock them so damned full of ‘facts’ they feel stuffed, but absolutely ‘brilliant’ with information. Then they’ll feel they’re thinking, they’ll get a sense of motion without moving.
And they’ll be happy, because facts of that sort don’t change. Don’t give them any slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy. Any man who can take a TV wall apart and put it back together again, and most men can nowadays, is happier than any man who tries to slide-rule, measure, and equate the universe, which just won’t be measured or equated without making man feel bestial and lonely. I know, I’ve tried it; to hell with it.
So bring on your clubs and parties, your acrobats and magicians, your dare-devils, jet cars, motor-cycle helicopters, your sex and heroin, more of everything to do with automatic reflex. If the drama is bad, if the film says nothing, if the play is hollow, sting me with the theremin, loudly. I’ll think I’m responding to the play, when it’s only a tactile reaction to vibration. But I don’t care. I just like solid entertainment.
People often think its 1984. Well, it is, somewhat, but what we have now is Fahrenheit 451
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks