Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 15:16   #1
BANNED

Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800

Issue:

Recently got to come across media shared on WhatsApp showing a Motovlogger being manhandled by some guys at a renowned Biker event which took place in Goa.

The offence as understood from the content is that the Motovlogger had posted distasteful content against a bunch of guys on customized motorcycles attracting attention by Revbanging their motors.

Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800-img20171127wa0046.jpg Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800-img20171127wa0047.jpg

The punishment was that the bunch ganged on the Motovlogger and eventually made him go and bow down in front of the aforementioned motorcycles while recording the act.

Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800-screenshot_20171128154225.png Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800-screenshot_20171128154244.png

Why this worries me:

I am disturbed by the chain of events and wish to make people understand that violence is never the answer, especially when someone is sharing opposing views to what you believe is right, because this not only shows distaste but also an inherent lack of understanding.
Personally being an enthusiast who despises seeking attention at the cost of a machines well-being, I second with the Motovloggers views and without a doubt would've shared the same opinion if I come across a bunch of guys misusing a motorcycle as such, though without using any expletives of course.
Having said the above I would also like to clarify that the use of expletives was a bad move by the Motovlogger especially when sensitivity is a matter at extremes in a multi-cultured country like ours, but still I strongly believe injustice has been done.
Please share your views on the same for a better understanding and to bring awareness among ourselves and to educate the less fortunate.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2017 at 10:57. Reason: Blanking out inappropriate words in first image - thanks for sharing!
ashwinprakas is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800

Quote:
I second with the Motovloggers views and without a doubt would've shared the same opinion if I come across a bunch of guys misusing a motorcycle as such
I am in the other end of this spectrum. It is my bike and i will rip it, break it or even burn it. If one does not like it, mind their own business and move on.
If they are going to call me names i would be happy to let them know how i respond to such threats in my own convenient way.
I do not know what conspired here and it all looks like one side of the story told in favor of that one side. Vlogging is fine as long as one minds their own business. It is not fine if that vlogger tries to become a police to take matters into his own hands. One exception is being a good Samaritan.
I prefer vloggers like Prassy in this group. Minds his own business and does what he loves doing, riding his bike.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2017 at 10:58.
VW2010 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 15:41   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am in the other end of this spectrum. It is my bike and i will rip it, break it or even burn it. If one does not like it, mind their own business and move on.
Makes perfect sense, to each his own. But what I'm saying is that the same thought process can be applied not only to motorcycles but also to opinions.

Quote:
If they are going to call me names i would be happy to let them know how i respond to such threats in my own convenient way.
Partially fine as long as your 'Own convenient way' doesn't cause bodily or material harm to another being. This is a thought which I strongly feel should be educated to the masses, we have civil and sensible ways of getting things done, even when it comes to the thought of retaliation so why manhandle someone?

Quote:
I do not know what conspired here and it all looks like one side of the story told in favor of that one side. Vlogging is fine as long as one minds their own business. It is not fine if that vlogger tries to become a police to take matters into his own hands. One exception is being a good Samaritan.
I'm sorry you felt so, guess it would make more sense to share the content for each to make their personal interpretations.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:09   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

A Rushlane Article has some more details on the incident.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800

While the violence is not acceptable, protesting against the Vblogger's action is justified. As it has been mentioned, it's my possession that I am plying with and at my expense. If my actions are not harming anyone, no one has any right to interfere or pass any judgement.

The Vblogger was right in forming an opinion about the bike and its mods but sharing them on social media along with derogatory remarks is unacceptable. I find no difference between this act and that of passing lewd comments to the opposite sex, except that this person was doing it on a machine.

Makes me wonder, are we right in having the thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-mod-jobs.html ?
ashis89 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:34   #6
BHPian

Thanks for sharing ashwinprakas and thanks GTO for that rushlane article.

The vlogger certainly went over the line while putting down the modified bike. Words do cause more harm than any other form of attack and it goes a long way in provoking the target.

This reminds me of the words of PuLa - Koni mumbaila ek bhikkar mhanala tar apan daha bhikkar mhanun takawa - if someone says mumbai (Bombay) is bad, we say its worst and shut up the critic

The response of the owner and his friends was certainly not correct (while some may say ki lathon ki bhoot etc). Specially the comments in the rushlane article are frightening to say the least. Hope that this was an isolated incident and does not become a pattern.
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

I prefer vloggers like Prassy in this group. Minds his own business and does what he loves doing, riding his bike.
I hope your convenient way is not the same as what they did. The guy had no business writing such things about other bikes. (could have made him delete ?) The reaction is not what it should have been. Looking at the Rushlane video, its pathetic to react in such a way.
srishiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Freedom of expression works both ways, and unfortunately the ways are different for both the parties. While violence is condemned, how difficult is to 'mind own damn business'? You see someone's bike, click a photo if you want and move on. At the same time, punishment should match the crime, so your reactions too should depend on the severity of matter, and not what you can get away with.

Poor decisions from all involved parties. This incidence puts shame to vloggers as well as bikers.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, you go to a club and call the bouncers names - you certainly are asking for it. This Vlogger just went overboard in Rome - and guess what, the Romans aren't going to stand around like goof balls.
Would have made more sense for this guy to go back home, sit in the confines of his room and post whatever he wanted to.
Everyone knows what happens in IBW by now. Why complain about it? Why even go if you're not into it? This dude was just trying to ride the Vlogger hoopla (jesus everyone is a vlogger these days - do they all just watch each other's videos?).
Want another parallel? Going to an Hell's Angel's rally and calling their bikes tin trash. Or going to Queen's and giving the good folks there the N word.
The idiot kid deserved it. Hopefully we have one less vlogger in the universe now.
PS: I am in no way defending what the so called "bikers" did. It is indeed a shame. I'm just saying the kid is an absolute fool and got what he deserved considering he did certain things just for his personal vlogging publicity.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2017 at 10:58.
Red Liner is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reaction is not what it should have been. Looking at the Rushlane video, its pathetic to react in such a way.
It is a simple case of Mob mentality. Thank god some of them regained some sense. Looking at the time of the day and the potential state of most of the biker gang members in that spot, i have to say, this mob was very decent to let him walk off easily.

Usually this can turn quite ugly in a mob situation. Do not get me wrong when i say mob. A mob is simply a group of passionate folks who just need one trigger to let go of their animal instinct with no regard to anything. It just takes one random person to throw a slap and the rest of the passionate humans will unleash their hidden, subdued animal instinct in a second.

I have been in the most educated gang of friends but it takes a whole new level of sane individuals to prevent that 1 slap from happening.

Is it right? Absolutely not.
Can anything be done to prevent this? Impossible from the group side. But for the affected party, just keep your opinion about others, others passion and generally anything that is not about yourself, to yourself.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:16   #11
BANNED

When the word "Biker" and "Bike Event" is used loosely.

What a bunch of losers. Stop calling yourself bikers and audition for MTV Roadies.

[Rides Away]

Last edited by Spitfire : 29th November 2017 at 12:18.
Spitfire is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:25   #12
BHPian

Well, bikes to some is their religion, their ego boosters & their girlfriends/boyfriends. You don't mess with these things usually, and if you still chose to do that, you need to make sure that you don't cross lines.

Men has been killing people in the name of all of this, and I am not surprised by those reactions. Having said that, I strongly feel this could have been handled better and without any violence.
Old 29th November 2017, 12:34   #13
BHPian

Although I do not agree with the way in which the situation was handled, I do believe that it was wrong in the part of the vlogger in the first place. He has no rights to post such remarks against anyone else's property on a social media. It's similar to some stranger passing by your home and clicking the photo of it and posting it on social media tagging it as "The worst looking home in the world". I am sure you as a owner would not take that comment lightly if you come across it. Having opinion is fine, but putting it on social media with a derogatory remark without the permission of the owner is not acceptable at all. It doesn't matter that they are not good-looking or badly modded or abused or bought with parent's money etc. They are the property of the respective owners and you have no rights to publicly post remarks about it (especially without permission of the owner).

Also I read somewhere that the gang asked him to delete the photo first, but he refused to do so which instigated the gang to go hostile.

Last edited by Funny : 29th November 2017 at 12:42.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:06   #14
BHPian

A lot of folks here are advertising that no one has the right to post anything against anyone's property on social media

So I guess we shouldn't have the weird, wacky modifications thread by that logic. Are all pictures there posted with explicit consent from the respective owners? And, if a BHPian comments something on the lines of, "Wow, that's one ugly car", would the owner be justified to beat up the comment poster?

I feel this is just a case of goons ganging up against someone. The outcome wouldn't have been any different had the vlogger said "This is the most tasteless Z800". It doesn't seem like it was about the harsh criticism, more about that your opinion differs from mine, so my minions and I will beat you up.
cataclysm is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:24   #15
BHPian

Can't help myself from sharing this video:

salilpawar1 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed